August '05 Mamas...March Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's great re: the WAH lead, Kaitnbugsmom - prayer & good thoughts coming your way.

I had to chime in and say that I also loved 'Red Tent' - one of my favorites. What else is everyone reading right now? Me - just reread 'East of Eden' again. Loooong winters always mean Steinbeck for me, oddly enough. What about the rest of you? I intend to look up 'Middlesex' - thanks Kerri!

farmlife3, ((hugs)) re: the tubal - please let us know how you're doing.

Postpartum weight -- -- I'll get serious about it next winter, after bean #2 is born. I lost 40 pounds of preg weight this time around, but was having a hard time with the last few. Since I am now on a "must eat bagels" craze - I'm having 2-3 a day to fight this crazy nausea with carbs....well, I'll be working on it next winter, too!!

Adam and I are getting ready to go away for a week -- dh's going to some training in DC, so we're going to spend the week with some friends while he's away -- so, happy end of March to all, and I'll see you next month!!

Em

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#242 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 06:01 PM

thanks

Miss Emma has her first real cold {crusty snot, congestion, and generally more irritable than teething alone} and is noe too happy about it. Last night it seemed to peak, and she's alot better mood wise now. In fact, she's laying on the floor on her tummy snuggling my sweater from the morning and smiling at me...

Going to be doing a lot of research and work on the business stuff for the next few days, so please don't take it personally that I'm not real attentive right now. I'm 'listening' just not a whole lot to say since Em is pretty much on a plateau developmentally right now...
#243 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 06:36 PM

Sorry Emma! ds gets sick a lot more often than dd ever did. In fact dd never got sick as a baby. I guess we go out more now.

He's been pushing up on his toes and hands but no crawling yet. I've asked dd to show him how and its pretty adorable!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#244 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 07:59 PM

I spoke too soon. Now she's screaming and inconsolable again. Guess I'm bowing out for a couple hours, as a bottle hitting the keyboard is the last thing it needs right now, and I'd much rather bounce with both hands as active as she is..
#245 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 08:25 PM

Teething pain has hit a new high (or should I say "low") here and Annabelle was awake every hour last night and all day today. Poor thing. Poor mama - I am TIRED! I can see one tooth through the gum. Come on, tooth!

The Hylands wasn't touching the pain today, so I asked for (and received) from my neighbor some infant Tylenol. I gave her just the tiniest amount and she's finally asleep (for the past 10 min lol). Just when her sleep started to regulate and I stopped nursing her to sleep Ahhh, the best laid plans and all that.

I'm sending empathy vibes to those of you who struggle with sleep daily and nightly. This is soooo not fun!

Other than that, my little girl is getting VERY mobile and is climbing stairs and standing up. Wow!

Farmlife - good to hear from you and good luck on the tubal.

PP weight - about 10 pounds to go, but I'd be happy like this for the duration. My fitness center here just got new elipticals and I just got a new mei tai, so I'm planning on taking AB in the back carrier to the gym Friday!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#246 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 09:46 PM

elight23 - Thanks for the advice on homeopathy. I'm going to check the book out. My mom overused medicines on us, and my sister and I both can't use pain meds and have them work. If we have surgery of any kind, we have a tendency to wake up. My sister has trouble with antibiotics. AHHH! I'm not going to have my child go through that.

About baby massage - I massage Deladis every other day on the days she doesn't get a bath. I've done this since birth. She does wiggle around more now, and doesn't let me work her back as long as she used to, but I let her move around as she finds necessary. She doesn't crawl, so she doesn't move away from me. My sister is a massage therapist and she says this is fine, whatever makes them comfortable. I use California Baby Offspring Apricot and Sesame Oil. It smells so good!!! I can smell it in the room long after we are through. It also absorbs well in the skin and gets warm when you rub it in your hands!

K's Mom - I was in Alaska in Anchorage when I was 15, and I absolutely loved it! The people were some of the nicest I've ever encountered, and the climate and landscape was gorgeous. I was there in December. I'd love to travel through more of Alaska. I'm not much on hot weather and neither is dd or dh. I always said if I had to live in another state it would be Alaska. The ice park sounds cool! And - not sure how accurate a portrayal of small town Alaskan life it, but it's a great show - I love Northern Exposure.

ktmama - Thanks for sharing this with me. I put dd in her snow suit and blanket and we walk every day it's possible. Even on windy days. This doesn't seem to bother dd or myself -- we both are hot blooded. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only mom willing to take babe out on those days. My mom acts like I'm going to make her sick doing this, but dd has only has 2 minor colds since birth and nothing else of major concern. I'm going to keep walking!

Pregnancy Weight - I'm down to 185 and haven't been able to loose anymore. I'm not eating the best though. I'm hungrier than I was when I was pregnant -- breastfeeding. I exercise regular I do Dance Baby Dance from Infantastic.com and Mommy and Baby Yoga at Gymboree and home. We love to exercise together and do it 4 days a week. I'm hoping when I can get my eating under control I'll loose more weight. I'm just afraid to not eat right now because I'm feeding dd, and I'm truly hungry! I'm a big boned tall woman and a good weight for me is 170 or 160, so it's not so bad. If anyone is having similar appetite things please share.

I want to conceive soon too. Around January 2007. I'd like my babes to be close in age too. I'd like to have my babes before I'm thirty. I'm 27 now. It's just something I'd like for myself. 2 babes are my limit though.

Hope everyone is having beautiful moments everyday!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#247 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 10:43 PM

Has anyone given their baby "cheerios" yet? I'm not sure when the right time to do it is. She's eating these rice crackers that dissolve in her mouth and has 4 teeth, but I'm paranoid about choking, just wondering if anyone has experienced the "o's" yet?
wow-I haven't weighed myself in months , but on Jan. 1st, I gave up ALL refined flours and sugars until Feb. 14th...some other mamas thought I was crazy while they are addicted to this coffee cake at this cafe we go to...but I feel really good, energetic, and no headaches and now the only sweet I eat is raw honey and a few tsp. of raw sugar once a week...and I am down to a size 10 !!!My ideal weight is also around 160, as I am 5'8"" I feel great though. I walk and do yoga and there's that adorable 17lb baby I hold all day, which I think I have the best upperbody strength I have ever had .

Hungry Hungry! Yes!!!I love food! I loooove oatmeal, and I am an avacodo freak if I haven't mentioned that before, and raw almonds!!!!I've also taken to making an all fruit smoothie with yogurt, ground flax and unsweetened cocoa.Very tasty. I don't really watch how much I take in, as long as it is a whole food and has no refined sugar. I also love all savory foods! I'm a foody.

Cori Beth mama of Rachael 4yrs and Deven 3 wks
I had a successful VBAC!
#248 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 10:50 PM

The last books I read were "Life of a Geisha" and "Middlesex", I really enjoyed both of them. Oh, I just read Dahl's "Matilda", I know it's a children's book, but it's great in an awfully mean way !!!I find myself reading the Dr. Sears birth to toddler years book...superbaby food book, oh and I'm trying to read "light on LIfe", BKS Iyengar's newest book. I also have Tich Nat Hahn's "Anger" book sitting on the bakc of the toilet ...

I had a successful VBAC!
#249 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 10:59 PM

cori beth - we do cheerios. they seem to get softer faster than the organic o's so for now that is what jack is getting. he thinks they are great! and no teeth over here. they get pretty soft quickly.
I didn't know about delaying solids until a bit later with my first son and I forget that by now he was eating lots of foods really well. i still feel everything is so new for jack, but it is like we skipped right to finger foods and self serving with the spoon.

and yes, quite an appetite over here. the weight loss i have seen is just from watching processed foods and sugars. i'm really trying to cut the sugar out and am down to not much. until i have a chocolate craving...uh-oh that happens a bit too frequentlyl. great tip about the unsweetened cocoa in the smoothie. I make a similar one and love them! will try the cocoa in it.

jack has tried lots of foods now, but doesn't really eat with any regularity mostly just nursing still. he does get really excited about blueberries, carrots and yogurt.

thanks ktmama!
#250 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 11:02 PM

The baby is hollering and won't sleep! DH is up there with her now. I gave her boob, formula, 3 teething tablets. We've been working on this on and off for TWO hours. It's 9 pm and she's still awake.

Maybe Tylenol is next?? She's getting a THIRD tooth. Yeeks.

Cori Beth -- I like the cocoa idea. I am going to give up refined sugars. They are so bad for me; I get rashes. I also get rashes when eating wheat. I tried to stop eating it and realized it's in EVERYthing -- or so it seems. I was eating some veggie sausage and ate it all before I remembered it's made with gluten.

I think it's so funny y'all are teaching your babes to turn off light switches after I told you about O. LOL.

We took O in for a 2nd opinion about her 3rd percentile weight. You can read about the fiasco at my blog http://32poems.blogspot.com. Let's just summarize to say that the doc FORGOT to examine the baby. Ninety minutes into the appt -- yes that is a nine and a zero -- she "tested" O's arm and said the baby felt weak. Well, had the doc missed the other 90 minutes when the baby was smiling and constantly moving her arms and legs? After a 90-min aerobic workout, I'd be tired, too!

Baby is still crying. DH thinks my presence might make it hard for DD to falls asleep so we are trying it with me not being around. It's HARD. He is there comforting her and it's still hard to let him do it.
#251 of 389 Old 03-22-2006, 11:06 PM

Books!

Cori Beth -- I loved Anger by Thich Nhat Hanh. An easy read for those with milk brain. LOL

I am reading Perfect Madness -- a book about motherhood. Very intriguing. Am also re-reading Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain and Fingerpainting the Moon: Writing and Creativity as a Path to Freedom by Peter Levitt.

I wrote a poem the other day. I have no idea if it makes any sense. Somehow the constant exhaustion has been good for my art work.
#252 of 389 Old 03-23-2006, 12:36 AM

wow...after catching up with all the posts i now have no time left for everything i want to respond to...will be back later...

hope everyone is well...lots of love to you mamas

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#253 of 389 Old 03-23-2006, 12:59 AM

em loves cheerios and rice krispies she prefers cheerios but i give her krispies when we're doing our big breakfast on sunday mornings because they disolve so much quicker
#254 of 389 Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 AM

deborah - hope O settled down! that is the worst feeling when nothing you try helps....urgh! how about a car ride?
#255 of 389 Old 03-23-2006, 03:21 AM

henhao,
nice blog. I absolutely love tarimisu, I was addicted to making it the last two winters. So I had to click on it on your blog...i did want to keep reading though!

Sorry to hear about the ridiculous doctor's appointment. I'm so fed up with stupidness. And I'm really tired of the constant opinion of the public about my baby and before that about my pregnancy. I was having a huge baby: , no a small baby: , no an average baby: , no the ultrasound shows a baby in the 10th percentile: , oh you're huge, I think you have gestational diabeties(I can't believe I swallowed all of that crappy glucose: ), no you're not huge, you're exactly where you should be.....oy. And this was with a midwife that had been practicing for over 25 years. I ended up with a posterior baby, no back labor, homebirthed for 24 hrs, ended up with a Cesarean, 8lbs. I think I gained 30 lbs. I think the cesaren happened because it had almost been 30 hours at that point...whaaaaaaat a day. But, it's all in th past now, and I'm happy to have a healthy thriving baby.

I can't wait to get some cheerios! It's so much fun watching Rachael discover new things!

I had a successful VBAC!
#256 of 389 Old 03-23-2006, 12:28 PM

Deborah, that's funny AND sad about the 90-min doc's appt. Yikes. I have heard about Perfect Madness and what I heard made me not want to read it...so LMK what you think of it!

About taking baby out in the "cold" ... here, "cold" is below zero, and no, we don't take her out in that! If it's comfortable enough for me to go for a 20-min walk (which means probably around 30 degrees or warmer), Zoe gets zipped into a fleece snowsuit with a hood, and a hat under that. (She's already wearing at least 2 layers of clothing, including socks and soft shoes...she seems to run on the cool side, like her dad.) THen she goes into a sling. It's just been in the teens here and windy, which is no fun for any of us to be outside in.

Cheerios...I just checked out my older DD's baby book last night and by this time she was eating Cheerios as well as bits of watermelon, bread and a few other whole foods. So we may get some Cheerios and give them a try...though so far Zoe has gagged at anything that wasn't completely and totally pureed. (However, she wants to eat magazines whole!)

Z's sleep at night has been crappy too...last night she finally fell asleep for the night around 9 pm. Before that it was 7:30 or so. Not sure if it's the cold, teething, development or a combo. Whatever it is, she still wakes up at 6 am!

NV

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#257 of 389 Old 03-23-2006, 03:07 PM

good morning mamas

as per the pp weight...: i went from 135 to 145 with the 2 m/c...then 145 to 200 with dd...down to 165...sooo far from where i want to be. thankfully dh got me my gym membership back for my bday, as i let it lapse due to lack of funds ...heading there right after this post. i eat mostly whole foods, and not nearly as much as sears recommends for bfing moms, and do get out to exercise frequently...x-country skiing, hiking, walking, snowboarding...but not enough, obviously...so time to get the cardio in gear .

as much as i would like to get pregnant again very soon, realistically i have to get rid of this fibroid...so it won't be as soon as i'd like. i'm checking with some folks on the bfing factor about an ayurvedic formula of manjista, ashok, and shatavari that i have on hand, and i think i'll try some acupuncture...along with flushing out my system with cardio, water, and no processed/chemie food. i think getting my moon back might help flush that area out, but no af yet.

no solids yet. dd sucks on org. maple teething biscuits on occasion (mainly when dh is watching her), and apple slices, whole carrots, and frozen celery. these are mainly for her entertainment/enjoyment in the highchair. i guess i'm waiting for some teeth...she has none thusfar...as it seems natural to dh and me that teeth=time for food. i'm getting excited to start incorporating some yummy veggies, but am being patient. she's still totally content with exclusive bfing.

heldt123, thanks i had a wonderful birthday...waning moon ceremony and a birthday reading, then a sitter so dh and i could go out for sushi then go to a show (jgb) and dance the night away .

elight23, we still massage dd after baths, with california baby overtired and cranky blend. she digs it, and is ready for a nap when we're done .

i'm reading the poisonwood bible, and loving it. i've read a few of barbara kingsolvers books in the past. i love her style.

dh, dd, and i all sleep on a full-size futon pretty comfortably. and dh is 6'6". i love co-sleeping, as i love snuggling with both my babes. i hear dh telling his buddies, dad, etc., that co-sleeping is the only way if we all want a good nights sleep . it works out great for us...snug as three bugs in a rug . i wouldn't even know what to do with a king-size bed. i'd probably think i'd died and gone to heaven. she is always nursed to sleep...nighttime and naps...a morning nap of about 1.5 hrs, an afternoon nap of maybe 2 hrs, and at night she goes to bed around 9 and sleeps til around 8. it's working out just fine, but if we're out she is too stimulated to sleep elsewhere.

dh and i just got over the cold we seem to get every spring. one in the spring and one in the fall. luckily, mine only lasted a day. i think the new chapter perfect prenatals that i'm still taking are working wonders for my immune system, and dds. she hasn't really been sick yet, *knock on wood*. i'm actually really suprised, cuz the kids at the sitters have had a fair share of colds this winter. so far so good.

i guess it's time for a new carseat. i think i'll drive to reno after the gym to let her try out the britax's and pick up her photos from jc pennies. i'm excited to put together the mothers day gifts for the 5 grandmas! i know it's early, but like i said, i'm excited .

we live in the cold, so we take walks in the cold, and ski, snowshoe, etc...thermals, fleece, and big, puffy snowsuits for colder days and she's super cozy warm. she's also warm-blooded like her dad.

farmlife3, easy surgery and quick healing vibes to you

mama coltrane, farmlife3, fridgeart, kaitnbugsmom anyone else dealing with colds... warm healing energy to you all and your little ones. may spring bring sunshine and wellness.

and (((hugs))) to those of you with challenging sleep/nap issues and teething pains.

have a wonderful day with your babes

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#258 of 389 Old 03-23-2006, 08:42 PM

Hey strangers! I haven't been able to read the whole thread (nor did I try at the end of the month, you chatty chatters), but welcome to the new folks (I've been around for a while but increasingly MIA lately).

Hope to catch up a little better next month and see how you all are doing! If you have any chiropractic questions, feel free to PM me as I get the e-mail notification so I'll answer!

I miss you all!!! CJ says hello. Well, it sounds like bababababa but I speak CJ, so...

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#259 of 389 Old 03-23-2006, 10:09 PM

Hi Kristin! Viper says if the chiro here in town seriously quits taking Sagamore, he may come out your way...
#260 of 389 Old 03-23-2006, 10:15 PM

I started giving Malek "Purely O's" about three weeks ago. He loves them and they help him develop his pincher grasp. I can see the difference week by week. That's about all he eats, besides little licks of what I'm eating and some HM banana oatmeal from time to time.

Possitive vibes on your WAH Kaitnbugsmom. I'm currently starting up my own retail web store in order to stay at home.

farmlife3 - I wish you a quick recovery after your surgery. We plan on a vasectomy after baby # two, if we go that route. I hope all goes well for you.

I can hardly find any time to read, but as of late when I do it's generally raising baby books, oh and my friend just gave me "The secret life of bees". My birthday's next week though and my birthday list is nothing but books, so we'll see.

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
#261 of 389 Old 03-23-2006, 10:32 PM

Tova got both of her front bottom teeth through in the past week. They look so cute and I think it's been a relief to her. The morning the second one came through she went back to sleep for three hours. I think she was exhausted from the constant discomfort. Funny, Griffin never seemed to have any trouble cutting teeth, but she's been affected greatly from about four months on. She's seven months tomorrow -- I can't believe how fast the time is flying.

She started eating some banana mashed with breastmilk about two weeks ago and really liked it. Not so keen on applesauce or sweet potato or today's offering, pear. We didn't mix those with BM, though, so I might try that. Or I might try her with some cereal -- is it OK to start with oatmeal? The Cheerios are a great idea, too. I'm sure Griffin had probably tried them by this point, but I hadn't thought of them for her. She could use some help with her pincer grasp, too, so it might be a good step. I think more will end up on the floor than in her mouth!

I am reading Emma for my next book club meeting, although I haven't had much time to spend with it. I read it many years ago but apparently have not retained much. The meeting is Monday night, which just happens to be my 38th birthday. UGH. Tova's growing up and I am getting old. Anyhow, DH is off work that night so will be home with the kids. My book club friends are great, so it'll be nice to spend the evening with them (we're having a little family brunch Sunday -- I like to spread the celebration out for about a week LOL). I think our next book is Saturday by Ian McEwan. My SIL loaned me A Million Little Pieces, the book that's causing a lot of controversy. I haven't started it and I'm not sure it really appeals to me in any event. A friend told me today that she read a few pages and it seemed pretty melodramatic -- regardless of whether it's true or not true. I also loved The Poisonwood Bible -- any other Kingsolver titles you'd recommend? For those of you who like a quirky read, go for Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem. It's wonderful. The narrator is a low-level gangster with Tourette's. Also loved A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Like previous posters, I'm always reading parenting tomes -- I like The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and Dr. Sears's The Baby Book, and Whole Foods for Babies & Toddlers.

Hope the sick moms and babes get better soon. My DS has a terrible head cold right now -- hoping Tova and I don't get it. All the best ...
#262 of 389 Old 03-24-2006, 12:43 AM

Gosh...I'm really impressed with your cheerio babies. Owen still occasionally gags on pureed stuff so I'm scared to try it. I just put some in my mouth and they did eventually disolve, but couldn't he choke before they dissolve? I guess millions of babies have survived their first cheerios. I would like something to put on his try to practice picking up small pieces. I will get some oatios at the cop-op tomorrow--I just looked at the cheerio ingredients and there is sugar and salt and wheat in there.

I'm off to bed with my silly mystery novel. Owen and I went swimming for the first time today. It was super fun...but a lot of work for Mama!!!!

I hope all the mamas and babes are well? How are the RSV babies? How's August?

Night night--
Adrienne
#263 of 389 Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 AM

Announcing.......

A TOOTH!!! That little sucker poked through today.

FINALLY! Now, maybe we can all sleep a bit :

Books: I just finished The Glass Castle another so-so "memoir" of a very dysfunctional childhood. I have a sister who LOVES these books and keeps sending them to me and so I keep reading them....not my fav genre. I did read A Million Little Pieces last year and didn't know it was memoir until I was through. Really liked it at the time, really think he sucks now, really not suprised this happened given his drug abuse and addiction history.

Loved: The Secret Life of Bees (don't bother with her latest, The Mermaid Chair), anything by David Sedaris, and I too like B. Kingsolver, but really didn't care for The Poisonwood Bible, much prefered Prodigal Summer - a delicious book! Also really liked Middlesex and The Other Bolyen Girl (that's for sure spelled wrong). For those of you interested in memoir and in Paris, try Almost French. Hilariously funny! I'm also an Anne Lamott fan. My mom just lent me The Price of Motherhood. Anyone else read this one?

Food: None for Annabelle yet and no interest. I really try to eat healthy and I think I succeed about 80% of the time. I do like salami though and occassionally ice cream. Oh, and beer. Yes, let's not forget beer.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#264 of 389 Old 03-24-2006, 01:32 AM

I was just putting Malek to bed, it took an hour, but he's not feeling well, though I'm not sure why - and, out of curiousity, I was wondering if most of you put your babies to bed after you've nursed/rocked/danced them to sleep or if you lie down with them awake and nurse/snuggle them to sleep?
We nurse/snuggle in bed and have since about 3.5 months.

I can't imagine not having a breastfeeding realtionship with my baby. What a special time. I'm fortunate that it has been so easy for us!

Also, it just occured to me that, now that Malek is eating solids here and there, should I be scraping his peanut buttery stool into the toliet? Do any of you do this yet? What do I use, a butter knife??

Congrats on the tooth - and all the teeth! Malek's second came through this week - about three weeks after the first. I thought they were supposed to come through together, but his first came through close to sideways - ouch!

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
#265 of 389 Old 03-24-2006, 01:53 AM

Gee . . . this is a super long thread. I just wanted to join. I guess I'll have more to say when I read through the whole thread. I'm sure it's been covered by someone already but ds is not interested in food yet and I'm a bit worried.

Anyway . . . it's nice to find this thread!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#266 of 389 Old 03-24-2006, 04:04 AM

welcome to the thread, rootzdawta
as long as ds is interested in breastmilk i wouldn't worry at all

skana, i second ktmama's vote for prodigal summer . that's been my favorite kingsolver so far, and i've fully enjoyed all i've read...animal dreams, the bean trees, and pigs in heaven. just about finished with poisonwood bible...once again, i love her style and thought it was a great book, but for the next book i need to go a bit more upbeat and positive...too bad i've read all of tom robbins...any suggestions for something similar...a fun little adventure with some genious insanity tossed throughout?

#267 of 389 Old 03-24-2006, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Poking my nose back in... to the sickies & grumpies.

Ds2 has his 2 bottom teeth, his top two keep coming to the surface, then receeding again. When it gets bad I rub his gums w/a corner of a frozen washcloth or break out the Hylands. His favorite thing to do is sit on our bed & use the remote to turn the ceiling fan/light on & off, brighter & dimmer, faster & slower. His big belly laughs are so contagious!

My favorite times of the day are when we're all in bed & the boys are snuggling w/us & ds1 will do something to make ds2 laugh & then ds1 starts to laugh & it just grows from there. Their joy is contagious and the happiness is palpable.

Let's see, the last book I read was The DaVinchi Code. Very interesting book. Before that it was I Am Charlotte Simmons I read a lot of periodicals when I get the chance. I also like Patricia Cornwell and true-crime books. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do a whole lot of reading anymore.

We're still ebf. Ds1 didn't eat solids until 13 months although I imagine ds2 might get some watermelon this summer. He'll probably suck on some green beans from the garden as well - that was ds1's favorite snack the summer after he turned one.

I nurse to sleep. For naps and nighttime. Sometimes he'll fall asleep in the sling or ergo if we're out and about and he's tired, but most often he wants a nip of milk to help him drift off. Ds1 is just about to be 3 and hasn't nursed to sleep regularly for almost a year. So I know it ends all to soon.

Weight - I'm back to pre-pregnancy weight - who knew I was this big?! I'm at 176 or so and just trying to focus on eating healthy. We'll get out more as it gets warmer and I expect I'll lose more as the months go on. My best friend's wedding is at the end of June and I'm trying really hard not to stress about losing weight for that. I also need a pretty dress that I can nurse in and I'm just not finding anything. I'll probably have to settle for a two piece outfit and even then, I can't find anything that really excites me. I guess I still have time though.

What are your weekend plans? We're having ds2's dedication here a week from Sunday, so we'll be cleaning, organizing and cleaning some more. I still need to finalize the menu and do the shopping next week. It would help if the in-laws would tell me if they are coming or not. As it is we could have 15 or 40 people - quite a range there. It supposed to be warmer, so we'll go to the park at some point.

Happy Friday Everyone!
#268 of 389 Old 03-24-2006, 01:18 PM

For those fretting about solids, there is NO HURRY! The longer you wait, the better on your babe's digestive system. I hate it when people try to force their babies to eat solids. Some people (not saying anybody on here, of course) try to make babies grow up to fast. You know, have you started cereal, is she sleeping through the night, why isn't he on solids yet... argh. Like any child goes to kindergarten without eating solids.

The longest I've heard of someone excl BFing is 18 months. That's awesome. I don't think we'll make it. I thought we'd be forced to try it by now, but ds seems to have lost interest and seems happy just sucking on an apple that I'm eating (I think it tastes good but also feels good on the gums) and drinking water out of a cup. That cup makes him feel like a big boy

Personally, I'm holding off on any Os as long as I can. Will use bite size pieces of fruits and veggies, and any grains will probably be the last thing I will introduce.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#269 of 389 Old 03-24-2006, 01:27 PM

Kristin, now you can say the longest you've heard of someone ebfing is 21 months. dd had an oral aversion and didn't eat solids until 21 months.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#270 of 389 Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=Adrienne]Gosh...I'm really impressed with your cheerio babies. Owen still occasionally gags on pureed stuff so I'm scared to try it. I just put some in my mouth and they did eventually disolve, but couldn't he choke before they dissolve? [QUOTE]

Adrienne -- At the grocery, they have finger foods that are like cherrios but they dissolve quickly. We decided not to get them and wait until we feel comfy using the real cheerios though. Just wanted to let you know about that product...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page