So what does an emerging tooth look like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-01-2006, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My girl (4 months) seems to be getting a tooth...I *think* But maybe it's just one of those little gum cyst things, she had one as a newborn. It's just a little white thing, like maybe just the edge of a tooth.

So what does an emerging tooth look like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-01-2006, 09:23 PM

My son had that starting at about 4 mos too. It definitely is a tooth, but is just now starting to actually stick out of the gum (4 months later!!). If you can feel the edge of it, then it is actually starting to come out, but if you just see white, it can be a while...in my experience.

raising my two sunshine children.

#3 of 7 Old 03-01-2006, 10:23 PM

My dd had little white bumps that kind of shone through her gums at 4 months and they felt really smooth. A couple of weeks ago (she's 11mo now) we could feel her gums roughening up a bit, and on the bottom they turned almost clear, kind of transparent. It looked like there was a tiny little hole on top of the gum, and the next morning we could feel the sharp edge of the tooth coming through.
#4 of 7 Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 AM

As the PP said, right above where the tooth is coming out it will look clear or kinda darker than usual and once its broken through you won't be able to see the tooth at first, but if you run your finger over it, you'll feel the sharp edge. It generally takes a week or two before the tooth is really up and out there, but after its cut through the worst of the teething part is over.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#5 of 7 Old 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM

I swear my ds (5 months) has been working on his first tooth for 2 1/2 months already! I can feel a bump, but can't see the tooth yet. My dd had her first tooth at 5 1/2 months, and got all of her teeth really early, so I'm expecting the same for my ds.
#6 of 7 Old 03-02-2006, 06:25 PM

I was able to feel ds's first two bottom teeth before I saw them and then when I did it was just a bit of white at his gums. His four upper teeth came in two months later at six months. I could see them all outlined in his gums for a week and then they all came down together within a few days. When ds teeths it seems to happen quick.
#7 of 7 Old 03-07-2006, 12:20 PM

my little girl got her 2 bottom teeth at 4 months... I didn't even see them coming or even thought to look! it caught me off-guard how early they came.

now that she is 7.5 months old, I am on the look-out... and she is actually getting her top two teeth now.

you can feel the bumps and the gums look a little more red than the rest of her mouth. then, where the teeth are actually going to come out, it has a somewhat translucent appearance and you can see a "white" color.

any day now...

Sarah and Steven 8/24/02, Little Miss L 7/15/05, and Mister E Man 2/10/07.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page