When did you stop swaddling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious. How do I know when to stop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 01:39 PM

My DS is 3 months and swaddling is our *magic wand* for getting him to sleep! A friend of mine didn't stop swaddling her DS until he was 6-7 months. I think it depends on the baby! How old is yours?
Old 03-06-2006, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

My son is only 3 weeks old. I'm not expecting to stop any time soon, necessarily. It's just he really doesn't like when I put his arms in.

He seems to sleep just as well during the day whether he's swaddled or not. I guess the reason I'm wondering mostly is because of nighttime sleeping, as well as upseting him while bundling him in.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:47 PM

my DS also gets mad w/ his arms in so the last time i tried it was at about 8wks. glad to hear a familiar story. That was my "out" for fussy nights, but he just gets fussier!

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I probably swaddled for about 4 weeks. When he was trying to roll over and get out of it I knew that it was time to stop.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:27 PM

I just stopped swaddling my ds at almost 6 months. He didn't like it when I was in the process of wrapping him, but when I picked him up he was fine, and he definitely slept so much better. I stopped swaddling at this time because he was fighting sleep so badly that he was crying in my arms to sleep every time. I needed for him to have his hands free to see if he could soothe himself in some way. It worked over a course of a couple of weeks, now he sleeps unswaddled and falls asleep laying on the bed. I really thought he would always have to be swaddled! He would mash his face with his hands constantly while trying to get to sleep. But I gave him a blanket to hold on to and that gave him something to do with his hands.

I would suggest continuing to swaddle until he no longer sleeps better that way.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
Old 03-06-2006, 03:41 PM

At six months when they started to roll over while swaddled. I wanted them to have access to thier arms and legs to go back. We went cold turkey because I just didn't feel it was safe for them any more. Now though we have to do a lot more rocking to sleep.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 PM

My ds is 10 months old and I still swaddle him. I just can't get him to sleep apart from me without it. I use it for naps and the beginning of night sleep. Of course, he still wakes up within the hour and nurses all night...that's ok...I just need that 40 minutes of "getting other stuff done" time.

I assume I won't be doing it much longer, but you never know.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:33 PM

I must be a weirdo. It only lasted about 3 days. DD did not like it.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:53 PM

if your baby doesn't like having arms swaddled:
With grace, we started swaddling her arms loosely crossed across her chest, that way, if she really wants, she can get her arms free, but still has the soothing sensation of swaddling. We only do it occasionally now, she's 3 months, instead we put mitts on her hands and zip her up in a halo sack. She didn't seem to mind. But she def. needed her swaddling for those first three months!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 03-06-2006, 11:49 PM

At 3 weeks dd threw a fit when I swaddled her during the day. Then 3 days later she threw a fit when I swaddled her at night.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frannyfresh
I must be a weirdo. It only lasted about 3 days. DD did not like it.
You're not the only one! I don't think I've swaddled DD once.

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
Old 03-07-2006, 02:32 AM

My dd2 is seven months and I still swaddle her for both naps and at night.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 03-07-2006, 02:35 AM

We swaddled until about 5 1/2 months. We started "weaning" her out of it...lol

We started taking one arm out, then a week or so later both arms (swaddling just his body), then a week or 2 later, we stopped. Hth...
Old 03-07-2006, 05:23 AM

DS was swaddled and then about 4 months we didn't swaddle him at night because we'd find him with his arms out in the morning.

During the day he still needed to be swaddled for naps until about 5 months when he rolled from his back to his front and then we stopped swaddling cold turkey because I found him caught up in the swaddling.

It only took him a day or two to get used to falling asleep without the swaddling during the day.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:34 PM

UPDATE:
I started swaddling my DS again recently (he is 11 weeks) except that now I swaddle his arms bent across his chest with hands way up under his neck and leave them out so he can suck on them if he wants. I didn't suck on them when I was watching but at least they were close to his face...I think he liked that
P.S. I tried to see if he would put himself to sleep....he did! Laying down w/o swaddling didn't do it...after he fussed I swaddled him and he fell asleep in under a minute. Triumph!

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:37 PM

I still swaddle dd after she falls asleep for the first part of the night. She's 14.5 months old. I'm not sure she needs it anymore, so we're mostly doing it for warmth at this point. I think that by late spring/early summer we'll probably be all done swaddling.

I think swaddling is appropriate for as long as your baby needs it.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 PM

I didn't stop swaddling until they were old enought to have arm control. I didn't want them to hit themselves in the face. I used the once they can put their own paci back in trick. I know it's different if you don't use a paci but the concept is still there. Once they have control and won't accidentally hit themselves then they are free. My DC absolutely loved being swaddled.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:17 AM

My ds is 11mo today & I still swaddle him. I barrel roll him in a thin flannel blanket (arms down) at nap & bed time. He can get out of it any time (he's been walking for 3 months, can climb off the bed himself, etc, LOL), but it's a signal to him to sleep.

I did the same with my dd, until she was about 1yr old.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
maybe like, a month after he was born?
once he "woke up" he hated being swaddled.

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Old 03-16-2006, 04:44 AM

It only lasted for maybe the first few weeks. She hated having her arms kept back and she'd just get so red trying to get out of it so I stopped doing it. She prefers to sleep with her arms stretched out.

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

Old 03-16-2006, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Probably about 3-4 months, just before he started really rolling around and didn't like it anymore....I my little "torpedo burrito" - I have so many pics of him all wrapped up and snoozing, I love those pics! He seemed to like having his arms at his sides rather than crossed, maybe he's one of the only ones, though.

Will swaddle the new babe as long as he/she wants too, unless they hate it!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

User Tag List