Can 14 month old eat eggs??? need advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2006, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SO we are like totally broke this week ( what else is new right )

So we have totally bought a ton of eggs, b/c they are protein and they are cheap.
Ds2 is about 25% bfed now and 75% homemade baby food
Can I give him eggs, I remeber reading something about not giving 1 year olds eggs but I dont know if it was a bunch of junk or it was a well written article

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2006, 01:05 AM

You can start with just the yolks. The reason eggs are an issue is because the whites are particularly allergenic and not very easily digestable. Most people who have egg allergies or sensitivities can't deal with the whites, but can eat the yolks. So, try the yolks and look for a reaction. If you don't see one, he should be good to continue with the yolks. I'd wait awhile (or never, but that's just me) to give him the whites, though.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:07 AM

I believe you can start a baby on egg yolks sometime between 9 and 12 months, and whole eggs (white + yolk) any time between 12 and 18 months. That's according to Dr. Sears, at any rate. At 14 months, unless you have a history of egg allergies in your family, your ds should be fine with eggs. (My dd is 15 months old and has been eating eggs for several months now and LOVES them.)
Old 03-09-2006, 02:02 AM

That's the same info I'd heard, also. Making homemade babyfood is great and much less expensive than store-bought jars. My baby's favorite is homemade pureed oatmeal with raisins. I think that's pretty healthy and more affordable.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:05 AM

We started dd with the yolks when she was 10 months, she loves eggs and eats them whenever we make them now at 19 months. Your 14 mo should be fine as long as you introduce them as you would any new food to check for allergies.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:45 PM

off topic, but mama if you are running out of money for food, is there anyone that can help you out? local food banks, food stamps, WIC, friends or family?

raising my two sunshine children.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:02 PM

whites are ok after 12 months!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:50 PM

My baby eats an egg yolk every other day or so and LOVES them. I hard boil them and then crumble up into bite size pieces she can pick up with her fingers. She has fun eating them, too. For a 14 month old I think the whites would be fine, you can scramble up a few eggs and let him munch away!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita
off topic, but mama if you are running out of money for food, is there anyone that can help you out? local food banks, food stamps, WIC, friends or family?

We are broke b/c dh keeps spending all the additional cash on renting stuff from Blockbuster. Plus suddenly we gotta get a new vehicle, our van is going fast

Plus we had to over spend our budget due to moving in Feb. so its just a matter of time before things get better.
I just gotta wrestle the checkbook away from DH
as far as family helping they are all strapped for cash too

Thanks for the advice, no egg allergies in the family and he isnt allergic to anything else, except jalopenos give him a red bum
Old 03-10-2006, 02:17 AM

: about the Dr.Sears comment. i just read that in the Baby Book last night. my ds is almost 9mths and he *loves* his eggs

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
Old 03-10-2006, 05:01 AM

Yep yep! My 1 year old absolutely loves her eggs for breakfast. Good advice here on this thread for you

User Tag List