Itchy cradle cap & itchy dry skin... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2006, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas~
My 4 month old had cradle cap, the flakes aren't that bad, but his scalp is red and itchy. His legs and tummy also have lots of dry skin (not flaky or anything) and he tries to itch them. It makes him restless at night because he's so itchy I've tried oil and gently scrubbing it makes it red, so I stopped that. I got some Caledula cream, I think it helps his scalp a little, but does nothing for his legs and tummy. I've only been washing his hair like once a week with a natural shampoo. My pediatrician wasn't concerned. I decided to cut out dairy and wheat, it's only been a few days. Do you think it could be food related? How long will it take to improve if it is?? He also tends to have a gas and watery pooh, he is exclusively breasted. Help!

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 02:40 AM

We have the same problem. I'd like to hear some responses as well. I cut out dairy because he had green poop, now it's yellow. But I'm thinking the rash might be diet too.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 03-14-2006, 06:07 AM

Have you tried shea butter? If you can find the un-refined stuff. I sell it and have loads of customers who use it for that and are totally convinced!
I'm not trying to sell it to you as I'm in France But I am a very big fan of shea butter for babies skin and cradle cap! The odd person can be allergic, so start slow and see how he reacts. Also, you could cut out the shampoo all together and try a handmade olive oil soap. Even baby shampoo or natural shampoo's have things little ones could react to in! I washed my dd's hair with just water for almost 2years. Now I wash it about once a month, but with handmade mild soap.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:10 AM

What's in the shampoo? It sounds like it could potentially be a reaction to one of the sodium salts: I think even ammonium laureth sulphate can cause problems.
I find that the calendula cream just isn't rich enough: I use a blend of shea butter, jojoba oil and a few others- look for something all natural that feels really nice on your skin and doesn't soak right in.
As far as diet goes, the other common allergens are citrus, tomatoes, corn and soy: so you might want to consider excluding these as well. Sorry It depends, really, on how bad his skin is.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:29 PM

dd had same type of deal.dr gave us aquaphor,now its almost gone

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 03-14-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
What's in the shampoo? It sounds like it could potentially be a reaction to one of the sodium salts: I think even ammonium laureth sulphate can cause problems..
I was using Earths Best Organic shampoo, no SLS, but plenty of other stuff I can't pronounce, so last time I used a caledula soap.

..[/QUOTE]As far as diet goes, the other common allergens are citrus, tomatoes, corn and soy: so you might want to consider excluding these as well. [/QUOTE]

I thought I'd try dairy & wheat first. I know I probably should eliminate it all. My husband and my dad both are lactose intolerant as babies, so I thought that would be the most likely. If it doesn't improve soon, I'll have to cut out more. I'm veggie, so I do eat a good amount of soy. I dunno...

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Old 03-14-2006, 05:43 PM

I have had the same issues with my dd. Cradle cap at four months, itchy skin for a while, and now at 7 months, full blown, patchy, itchy eczema. She has also had liquidy gassy poo.

I have been a week and a half without wheat and dairy and I have noticed a difference. DD is still itchy, but there have been no new outbreaks, no redness. Also, she seems to squirm less at night and have a little more solidness to her poo. I am told that it may take a while to see the effects of an elimination diet in your ebf dc.

You should check out the allergy thread. I have gotten good advice from mamas in there. Here is the link to the thread I started, but there are many other threads that would be of use to you too.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=418181

good luck, and I hope your babe feels better soon.
naismama

User Tag List