Drool drool drool rash rash rash - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd, about 4 mo old, has been a monster drooler for weeks. Fine - and we now have an immense assortment of bibs - but what to do about the chin rash? Poor kid has little red bumps all over chin and some extending out to cheeks and over upper lip. I try to keep area clean and dry but it's a losing battle seeing as she spends most of her time with her fists in her mouth these days. Anyone else had this?

Oh, and then there's the red bumps around her eyes...

And a new rash on her chest/tummy...which I've never seen before...but it only started once I started using a Moby so I'm wondering if it's a heat rash - her front is sometimes damp and sweaty when I take her out of the wrap.

Do I just have a rashy kid, or...?

Ironically she never has diaper rash.
#2 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 12:08 PM

My dd had what I thought was a drool rash and I tried to treat it at home by keeping it dry and cleaning it several times each day. Nothing was working for us, so I finally took her to the Dr once it started to spread to the back of her neck, cheeks and chest and he said it was a form of dermatitis and gave me a medicated shampoo to use on her and it cleared up in two applications. Now if she starts to show signs of it coming back, I break out that shampoo, use it once and it clears right up.

I thought I would share since you said it was spreading and it sounded similar to what we were battling.
#3 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 02:37 PM

nak

if you are not averse to putting petroleum products on your baby, i've heard that aquaphor healing ointment is good for drool rash, as it acts as a moisture barrier. if petro products gross you out you could try olive oil or something beeswax-based. if it's not just drool rash though, i don't think either will help.

good luck
#4 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 04:20 PM

DS has a similar rash... we use aquaphor.

I have heard that California baby calming cream helps but we haven't tired it.

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#5 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 04:41 PM

weird, we also have this rash starting.
it's not horrible yet though, just little tiny red bumps.
it seems to get better the day after it starts getting worse though.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#6 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 05:11 PM

We have also had this problem... the ped said to try cortizone cream and that seemed to clear it up for a little bit, but it wasn't that bad then. But then it just got worse and worse and worse... now it's really red, with little bumps extending. I have tried aquaphor and cortizone cream, keeping it dry, etc. Well I called the ped today b/c it's really bothering me and she said it sounded like it had yeast in it, so to try lotrimin for 3 days and if I don't see an improvement then I need to bring him in. She described the rash exactly and said it sounds like yeast. I don't know, but dh is picking some up on the way home from work and we'll try it. She said 4 times a day for 3 days....

I just don't want it to get infected... my poor little man...

HTH

~S~ Mom to W ('04) & D ('05) & in April
#7 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 05:47 PM

I had the same problem. MY doctor told me it was due to the baby teething. She said use cornstarch or baby powder, also aloevera gel works good. You can get these things at walmart- Hope this helps
#8 of 12 Old 03-24-2006, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! It was good to read these as I felt like the only mommy in my mommy group whose baby has a red chin. I have been using aquaphor and it seems to help somewhat. I am not wild about using petro jelly, but...

A couple of days ago went to DD's 4-mos check-up. Doc confirmed aquaphor as a good choice but cautioned against baby oil on face as the perfume can irritate eyes...(but is olive oil ok? I should have asked...) She said the spreading around the eyes indicates a light form of dermatitis & that I should only bathe every few days so that her skin doesn't dry out...
#9 of 12 Old 03-24-2006, 08:28 AM

I've heard that breast milk is supposed to clear up diaper rashes (and congested noses, and goopy eyes, and i'm sure the list goes on- I wonder if cancer researchers know about breast milk?! lol) so it may help clear up a rashy chin too?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#10 of 12 Old 03-24-2006, 12:01 PM

Someone told me that cancer researchers actually are aware of breastmilk. This same person also told me that breastmilk is sometimes prescribed for colitis patients. I have no idea if these are true, but if so, i think it's great.

When dd had BAD baby acne all over her face, neck and scalp, I put breastmilk on it twice a day. Honestly, I can't say if it did anything (dh said I would have to randomly assign individual pimples to either breastmilk or no-breastmilk conditions to learn whether it was actually effective, but after giggling about that for quite some time, I declined to do the study myself), HOWEVER, what it certainly DID do was make me feel less helpless about it, and that was great.

So by all means, squeeze some breastmilk on there. Certainly couldn't hurt. My dd looked at me like I had just driven off round the bend with my last remaining marble as I dribbled breastmilk everywhere but in her mouth, though.

#11 of 12 Old 03-27-2006, 01:25 AM

My dd gets a little rash on her neck when her drool gets caught in the folds. I think it's like a prickly-heat rash b/c her neck doesn't dry out. Anyway, I tried cornstarch and it seemed to get worse. What has worked for us is Lansinoh, 2x/day. I have also used hydrocortisone cream (.5%) and that keeps it at bay.
#12 of 12 Old 03-27-2006, 11:38 AM

I NEVER apply petroleum products on my DC. I used organic lanolin for the drool rashes when they got them and it worked GREAT! When they have body rashes I use a mixture of sweet almond oil tea tree oil and lavender.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page