Mothering Forum banner

Which baby products are harmful in your opinion?

1K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Justmee 
#1 ·
I've been reading your threads about disposible diapers, wipes as well as PVC toys. And now I would like to ask you what other generally accepted baby products you personally consider harmful and refuse to use. Please state your reasons.

TIA

#3 ·
alot of the lotions/soaps for babies. tear free scares me. it is still there. it is still burning thier eyes, they just can't feel the pain (anelgesic? - pain killer) plus all the perfumes and what not. when I do use baby products i use natrual gental ones. Not tear fre but that helps remind me to use proper caution and if it does get in thier eyes i canmove fast to get it out.

#4 ·
- commonly found baby soaps, powders, shampoos and lotions found in supermarkets. The ingredient list is scary. Some of the ingredients are potentially carcinogenic. You should check out what the Environmental Working Group says about specific baby care products. http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...ARE+%28BABY%29
I tend to use organic baby products from lines like Burt's Bees.

- walkers
I know of several children who've fallen down stairs thanks to walkers. I don't plan on buying one. Children don't need walkers to learn how to walk. When they're ready to walk they will walk.

#5 ·
Well, I don't use jarred baby food, I always make my own. I think fresh pure food is healthier than the jarred ones. We also don't use a crib because I think our baby is much happier all snuggled up in our warmth at night, breathing with us in sleep. Plus there's no happier sight than waking up in the morning to your baby's bright, happy smile.

We also avoid soaps, lotions, sun blocks etc. with fragrance or unrecognizable, weird chemical ingredients (but geeez I just can't seem to say no to the $1 conditioner & those pump hand soaps from the Dollar Store!). The link bookgoddess posted is wonderful for sorting out the good products from the bad.

We also don't feed our kids meat. The flesh of a murdered beasts does not belong inside my children!

Um, we don't send our kids to school, we don't use flouride toothpaste or drink our county's flouridated water because we believe it's a toxin, & we don't vaccinate. We also don't use mercury teeth fillings because we do not like mercury poisoning!
(I've read that some folks believe Alzheimer's is actually mercury poisoning! Interesting thought...)

I don't use those carry around plastic infant car seats because I prefer to carry my baby with me/on me (& I think he prefers that too
). Although I understand why some folks in very cold areas wouldn't want to take their snug baby out.

I use sponges not tampons. Oh wait, that's not a baby product.

Oh, I don't cook my kid's food on/in plastic dishes for fear of the carcinogens leaking into the food. My next plan of action is to replace our teflon pots & pans with cast iron!

That's all I can think of.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyka
alot of the lotions/soaps for babies. tear free scares me. it is still there. it is still burning thier eyes, they just can't feel the pain (anelgesic? - pain killer) plus all the perfumes and what not. when I do use baby products i use natrual gental ones. Not tear fre but that helps remind me to use proper caution and if it does get in thier eyes i canmove fast to get it out.
This is an urban legend. The reason they call things tear-free is because they make them the same pH as tears so they are less irritating.

#7 ·
We don't use bouncy seats/swings/exersaucers/etc. because I think they make it too easy to not hold your baby. We have a stroller but rarely use it, and only for our 3 yr. old- the baby is worn.
I use that ewg link for bath products, of which we use few- just conditioner on my oldest, just water on my little guy, and just shampoo, conditioner and deodorant on me. Oh, and fluoride-free toothpaste for all of us. We avoid soap, makeup, and sunscreen.
We try to avoid plastic toys, although my 3 yr. old is in a My Little Pony phase right now.
We also try to avoid plastic dishes and nonstick pans but we're having problems with cups- glasses break every 5 seconds around here and plastic cups don't.
We don't vax.
We don't use sposies or disposable wipes.
We use seventh generation cleaning products in the house.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zjande
We also don't use a crib because I think our baby is much happier all snuggled up in our warmth at night, breathing with us in sleep. Plus there's no happier sight than waking up in the morning to your baby's bright, happy smile.

Um, we don't send our kids to school, we don't use flouride toothpaste or drink our county's flouridated water because we believe it's a toxin, & we don't vaccinate. We also don't use mercury teeth fillings because we do not like mercury poisoning!
I don't use those carry around plastic infant car seats because I prefer to carry my baby with me/on me
nak - so i am stealing this, lol! this sums it up 4 me nicely.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottmama
This is an urban legend. The reason they call things tear-free is because they make them the same pH as tears so they are less irritating.
Do you have a source? I was told in the hospital with my first birth, when I went to the baby care class, that it was important to use J and J tear free baby shampoo because it contained a numbing agent.

#11 ·
Quote:

I don't use those carry around plastic infant car seats because I prefer to carry my baby with me/on me (& I think he prefers that too
). Although I understand why some folks in very cold areas wouldn't want to take their snug baby out.

So what do you use when you have to drive somewhere? Or are you able to do all you need to do by walking/bus/etc? I don't like having Evan in a carseat when it's at all avoidable, but since we tend to do most of our shopping etc in the next large city nearest to us, we have to have him in the seat while we're driving. Wish we could be able to do everything while being able to avoid driving so I wouldn't have to put Evan in the seat. I just don't think he looks very comfy in there at all...but safety first of course.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvansMomma
So what do you use when you have to drive somewhere?
Oh, oops, I'll clarify. I meant that I don't carry my babies around in those detachable infant car seats, that I prefer to carry or sling him when we're in stores or running errands. He does sit in it in the car. And he hates it!!
Poor baby, but yeah, safety comes first. I just feel that those detachable seats are abused. I hate to see parents out carrying their newborns in his/her car seat & the seat being rocked when the baby fusses, or a bottle being propped in it with the baby. I mean, what what these new fangled "baby travel systems", we could take our babies out of their cribs/seats, etc at home, stick them in their infant car seat, drive someplace, detach the seat & set it on a compatible stroller, prop their bottles in the seat, then put the seat BACK into the car & drive home. I'm glad I was born in a time when my parents had to actually *carry me* & hold me when we were out & about.

#13 ·
We have the travel system actually...I bought it when I was still completely unaware that slings even existed. Yes, I was very "AP-ignorant" before I had my babe. I'm waiting on my sling to come in the mail, so when we run errands he is in the seat because I just don't like the way his weight is held in the Snuggli carrier we have, nor do I like how much his poor lil head bobbles around in it. The travel system IS convenient if you have no other carrying options, but yeah once this frickin sling gets here in the mail, he will be carried when we're out of the car. But even when we do use the travel system, I try to carry Evan in my arms as much as I can. He doesn't like to snooze in my arms so when he's sleeping he prefers to be in the seat or laying down somewhere.

But yeah, anyway, I just completely hijacked this thread...lol...just wanted to say that the travel systems aren't ALL evil. Yes, very much abused in my opinion but such is the way with so many "convenience items" for babies now. My sister in law has her kid in the seater at home, then pops him in the car, pops him in the stroller, back in the car, and again at home STILL has him in his seat. She claims its because of his "reflux" but I say she can hold him or pop him in some type of carrier if she wants her hands free.

I think many baby items can be very great, and many can be very bad, all depends on how you use them I guess.

#14 ·
Quote:

I don't cook my kid's food on/in plastic dishes for fear of the carcinogens leaking into the food. My next plan of action is to replace our teflon pots & pans with cast iron!
I have a question about plastic dishes. I don't cook in them but I do use plastic containers to store food in the fridge or to take lunch to work. Would you say it is bad too? If yes, what do you use instead (especially for lunches)..glass containers?

Why teflon pots/pans + non-stick pans are bad? What else can you use instead except for cast iron?

Why is flouride toothpaste bad? Where do you buy non=flouride toothpaste?

Also, since I was talking about "harmful" products, I was wondering what's so harmful about sending kids to school in your opinion?

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottmama
We don't use bouncy seats/swings/exersaucers/etc. because I think they make it too easy to not hold your baby.
Well, then how do you manage to do everything at home that you need to do? Let's assume that your young baby does not want to lie down in your bed all day long...so you pick him up but since you don't use swings/exersaucers/bouncy seats/jumpers, etc...your only option is to hold him in your arms. So,isn't it uncomfortable (to say the least) to cook a meal and use a stove while holding your baby in a sling or in your arms? Isn't it uncomfortable to go and take a shower while holding your baby...or you always take a bath with your baby? Don't you think that those exersaucers/swings (when not abused) also add a bit of entertainment to your child?

Hm, I just can't imagine holding my baby in my arms all day long (unless he is in bed) and doing all the cooking and cleaning and taking care of my 3 year old.
:

#16 ·
In defense of some people who use carriers...I did take the car seat thingy in with me for the first couple months of DD's life, because A) it is super windy here and I wanted to be able to put the special sleeping bag cover thingy over her face so she wouldn't gasp, and B) she was often asleep and I didn't want to wake her up and take her out! But now that she is older and generally wakes up the second I take the car seat out, if she's even asleep, I do take her out and put her in the sling...plus I feel she can handle the wind better at 3 months than at 3 weeks.

I believe the concern with plastic is that it leaches carcinogens into your food...it's probably worse if you heat the plastic but plastic in general is bad. I'm trying to switch to glass, although it's inconvenient at times--baggies are just sooo convenient!

Same thing with teflon--leaches carcinogens or something bad. You can use stainless steel, or maybe copper? I haven't made the switch on that yet.

Fluoride is a toxin like aluminum or mercury. I bought some JASON brand toothpaste at a health food store and it is fluoride free. Actually Crest or Colgate or somebody came up with a kids' fluoride-free toothpaste (cuz it's bad if they swallow it was their reasoning), and I've seen that at Wal-mart.

I don't have a problem with sending kids to school, just with sending them to public schools. I wouldn't have a problem sending my kids to a private or parochial school if I agreed with the stuff they were teaching. I don't agree with the stuff the public schools teach and I don't want my kids exposed to some of the behavior that goes on in public schools. That being said, I would prefer to homeschool so I can teach my kids in the way that's best for them and make sure they learn everything I want them to. Somebody else will probably post and give you a different view on this issue, though.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn
I don't have a problem with sending kids to school, just with sending them to public schools. I wouldn't have a problem sending my kids to a private or parochial school if I agreed with the stuff they were teaching. I would prefer to homeschool.
Thank you so much for answering my other questions. Now, I have one more question out of curiousity. What do they teach in schools that you don't like? If you don't want to go into details, please just say whether it is a particular subject/class or the approach to learning in general? Also, I am completely clueless when it comes to homeschooling. If that's what you are planning to do, does it mean that you will hire a few teachers (or one teacher) that will come to your place and teach your kids or you will teach them yourself? Also, what do you do when they get like 15-17 years old? Do you also hire teachers to come to your place? Sorry if that's a silly question, but I am just curious to know how it all works.

#18 ·
I'll teach my kids myself. You can actually get curriculms where you can use the same curriculm K-12 and for all subjects.

It's both style and curriculm in public schools that bother me. A child who is struggling has a hard time getting extra help, and a bright child is probably going to be bored. I disagree with much of what a public school teaches--evolution, sex/drug education, slanted view of history, not to mention "dumbed down" standards and sight reading as opposed to phonics...there's probably more but that's all I can think of right at the moment!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn
I disagree with much of what a public school teaches--evolution, sex/drug education, slanted view of history, not to mention "dumbed down" standards and sight reading as opposed to phonics...there's probably more but that's all I can think of right at the moment!
And I think public schools are too conservative!!
We homeschoolers sure do fall all over the spectrum of beliefs & reasonings for not sending kids to school. M of M, you could ask every homeschooling family why they choose to homeschool & you'll probably get a different answer from each. I personally began seariously researching it when my (public schooled) dd reached 4th grade. The kids were getting pre-pubescent & starting to care more about looks, cliques, celebreties etc. than the joy of learning. I just hated seeing it. I want my kids to be able to express themselves & seek their identity (almost) however they see fit, not be forced to conform & feel shame for not looking like Paris or who ever's cool at the moment. I think PS can be suffocating for some kids who don't conform. And I find there is way too much homophobia, sexism, classism, racism, etc etc running rampant in schools. I was at an elementary school & saw 2 little boys wrestling around & calling each other "****". Oh I just hate it. I want my kids to be free to be exactly who they are, not be pressured to conform & forget how fun it is to actually learn! Plus neither of my (older) kids learn at the pace that the state requires the PS to teach at. My 7 yr old 2nd grader AND my 14 yr old 9th grader are both in middle school math! They'd both be lost in PS. In my boldest moments, I like to say that the point of public schools are to spit out nice, conforming, American robots at the end of 12 years. (At the same time I totally understand that homeschooling is not for every family, so don't flame me, plz thx.)

As for teaching, personally I decided to use a state funded public independent studies program for my dd for high school because it was too hard for me to keep up with making curriculum for her (I couldn't afford to purchase curriculum), & I had a new baby 4 mos ago. So this year we have a teacher that comes out to our house once a month & brings her new curriculum & helps us out a ton. I'm loving it. We've been homeschooling now for 5 years, this month.

And in regard to your other questions, here's a quick link listing toxins in plastics: http://www.ecologycenter.org/ptf/toxins.html
Teflon & carcinogens: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...lon-usat_x.htm

What you could use instead of Tupperware & plastics to store food in are Mason jars, those jars used for canning. I'm always on the lookout for glass bowls & wide mouthed jars with lids at thrift stores. Instead of using plastic baggies one could wrap foods in waxed paper or use glass I suppose. I haven't gotten that far with my de-plasticing yet! I'd like to stop relying on ziplocs....

Flouride is just a poison. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11995461
http://www.wholywater.com/fluoride.html
http://www.ghchealth.com/where-the-yellow-went.html
We find flouride-free toothpaste at any Whole Foods or natural foods store.

That's all I have time for! Good luck with your research! This board is chock full of more links & info regarding all of the above!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by M_of_M
Well, then how do you manage to do everything at home that you need to do? Let's assume that your young baby does not want to lie down in your bed all day long...so you pick him up but since you don't use swings/exersaucers/bouncy seats/jumpers, etc...your only option is to hold him in your arms. So,isn't it uncomfortable (to say the least) to cook a meal and use a stove while holding your baby in a sling or in your arms? Isn't it uncomfortable to go and take a shower while holding your baby...or you always take a bath with your baby? Don't you think that those exersaucers/swings (when not abused) also add a bit of entertainment to your child?

Hm, I just can't imagine holding my baby in my arms all day long (unless he is in bed) and doing all the cooking and cleaning and taking care of my 3 year old.
:
I'm sorry this irked you.
I don't find it uncomfortable to wear my baby. I can wear him in a mei tai or sling on my front or back while I cook, clean, and take care of my 3 yr. old. He's very safe on my back while I cook. We like to play with him on the floor (he is sitting unassisted for brief periods and thinks that's great fun). Also, my 3 yr. old likes to hold and play with him, and his daddy likes to hold him and sling him when he's home (which is when I shower).
I think being in my arms or on my back while I live my life is more entertaining than an exersaucer. We go to the zoo about twice a week, to 2 playgroups a week, to 2 classes a week, and to the park pretty much every warm day.

I forget where I read that the shampoo thing is a myth, someone from MDC linked to a site debunking it before. We use Jason Natural shampoo anyway, though, because I am worried about anything containing SLS.

#22 ·
I thought that little bucket car seat was a godsend when we were out to eat! Sure for shopping and the like we usually wore DD, but when we took/take her places like the zoo or to big hiking type parks, she really prefers her stroller. And now that she's big enough to sit in the grocery cart, she much prefers that. She's such a nosy little thing that looking at mommy or daddy's neck in her mei tai gets pretty boring - she wants to see everything!

As for bouncy seats/swings/exersaucers, we used 'em and still use the exersaucer. She's not only nosy, she likes to do things for herself and by herself. I don't ditch her in the thing for hours, but I see nothing wrong with letting her play alone for 15-20 minutes while mommy gets something done or even just takes a little "me time" when necessary. I adore my daughter and all I ever hear from anyone is how happy, laid-back and fun she is, so obviously a little down time for her and I isn't *that* bad.

As for "what's harmful" - I'd agree with PP's about most baby soaps/lotions/etc and about making your own (organic) baby food. I don't eat or feed meat, either, because I don't want animals to suffer for my consumption. I'd love to get away from plastics entirely, but don't see how it's possible until Isabel's a little older, and have done away with Teflon.

#23 ·
Quote:

My 7 yr old 2nd grader AND my 14 yr old 9th grader are both in middle school math! They'd both be lost in PS.
As for teaching, personally I decided to use a state funded public independent studies program for my dd for high school because it was too hard for me to keep up with making curriculum for her. So this year we have a teacher that comes out to our house once a month & brings her new curriculum & helps us out a ton.
First of all thank you so much for all the links that you provided. Scary stuff.
Now, if you don't mind a few more questions about homeschooling. So, if the teacher comes once a month, what do you do with your older kids every day? Do they spend a few hours a day reading science books, doing math excersices, writing projects in geography and doing lab work excersices in physics on their own or with your help? How do you make sure that they have a well rounded education when it is time for them to go to college? Do you think they will do ok when they go to college if they have never been to a school before?

Sorry, just very curious to know how it all works. I promise that's the last question on homeschooling.
Um, I changed my own thread.

#24 ·
Quote:

\ I hate to see parents out carrying their newborns in his/her car seat & the seat being rocked when the baby fusses, or a bottle being propped in it with the baby. I mean, what what these new fangled "baby travel systems", we could take our babies out of their cribs/seats, etc at home, stick them in their infant car seat, drive someplace, detach the seat & set it on a compatible stroller, prop their bottles in the seat, then put the seat BACK into the car & drive home. I'm glad I was born in a time when my parents had to actually *carry me* & hold me when we were out & about.
nak

judge not lest ye be judged.

i too swore i would never carry dd in her car seat, however, if you would but see her when we have to take her in and out of it - how she screams, howls, and is completely stressed out - you would understand why I do not take her out of it if we are just making a quick stop somewhere (post office, gas station, quick grocery trip to pick up milk and veggies, etc) or stopping for a quick bite to eat when she is asleep.

It puts far more stress on our little one to be "messed with" getting her in and out of the seat and in and out of our fleece pouch (how I usually carry her around) than just leaving her in the seat for those few minutes.

Frankly, I will leave my high-minded ideals on the side of the road for a calm and happy baby who is not using up all her calories on squalling. It's much more humane.

BTW: I am very AP - cosleep, exclusive BFing, SAHM, etc etc etc. I kind of resent the implication that I am a bad mother because I left my baby in her carseat for brief stops here and there. If you see me at the post office with dd in a car seat, you don't really know the rest of the story.

Also, as for harmful baby products, I would say that I think there are a lot of things that are perceived as harmful when they are just maybe...well...unaesthetic. i mean, no baby ever got sick from j&j baby lotion. it's just that when you read the label, its kind of GROSS with all those chemicals and stuff.

#25 ·
I think everyone has their own unique "issues" and nobody should either offend or take offense when those clash with someone else's issues...I don't think the AP police are gonna come to anyone's house to take away your AP credentials if you like the baby carseats. Are you responsive? Yes? You could use disposable diapers, carriers, swings, eat on all plastic all the time, eat Twinkies and HoHos bought at the Quicky Mart, watch way too much America's Next Top Model, and be a can-can dancer, but if you respond when your baby needs you, you're an awesome parent in my book.

My issues:
I don't like infant carriers either for myself, I think they are freakin' heavy! But at home, I am all about the swing or floortime while cooking, showering, and drinking hot coffee. I anxiously look forward to getting an exersaucer tomorrow from my ILs. However, I do not own a crib, and never have. Too big, and our house is too small, and I knew I would like cosleeping.

I store food in "safer" plastics: 1, 2, 4, and 5. I won't eat anything microwaved in plastic. However, I do really love my microwave and its infernal heat cells.

We are buying wood toys for teething and mouthing.

I just use water on him in the bath.

I am hardcore regarding no TV for my kids except the occasional movie. The flickering devil box steals their souls, I am quite sure of it.

Ooooh, my biggest transgression: I use disposable baby wipes!
I await a lecture from someone.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmenfaithey'smom
anyone heard anything about the Arbonne line of skin care products for baby and adults? Supposedly all natural and plant based...
Good topic!
They use parabens as preservatives. These are endocrine disruptors and are especially harmful to children. I read their policy on them somewhere and they don't feel that parabens are harmful, but I do. A friend of mine sells it and gave me some baby things. I use it in a pinch, but not often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.