Mothering Forum banner

November '05 Moms and Babes - April Thread!

4K views 148 replies 32 participants last post by  SoulJourney 
#1 ·
Just thought someone should start an April thread since March is over!

No news from me yet. I'll keep you all updated.

March Thread
February Thread
January Thread
December Thread

Does anyone love going back through the old threads to kind of relive those moments? Baby Winter will be 4 months old in 4 days and I'm getting kind of nostalgic for his newbornness. He's not rolling yet but he's definitely getting more physically active and he now enjoys holding a toy or rattle for a few minutes. His personality is coming out and he's just the best baby I ever could have hoped for.
to you all! Happy April!

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, way to be up-to-date, DiD! I only just noticed it was April. No April Fools jokes for me this year I guess!

I sort of miss Rowan's newborn-ness too, looking back at old photos it's hard to believe how crinkly and red she was; at the time she didn't seem that way at all
But I love watching her personality develop, and seeing her learn new things every day (like how to nurse lying down on the good boob and NOT snort milk out her nose on every gulp - she figured that out all by herself and I'm so proud of her!). She is rolling over now (front to back only) and spending a lot more time (happily) on her tummy, and is using her hands sooo much more, grabbing at everything, yanking mummy's hair, reaching for mummy's drink bottle... but as it turns out, she hasn't figured out how to swallow liquids that go in her mouth in a manner other than via boob or bottle. Yes, I tried to give her some of the dilute cranberry juice (unsweetened) in my drink bottle and it all dribbled out of her mouth and down her nice white shirt. She seemed to like the taste though, and she keeps reaching for it.

Does anyone else's babe do nap-n-snacks? The only way Rowan will take a nap in the afternoon is if she can wake up every 20-30 minutes or so and have a snack - in other words, she naps on my boob. Today she sucked back a little too much and woke up by barfing some of it up, but usually it's just like one extended feed. But she won't stay asleep if I put her down. I don't mind all that much, it's a good enforced rest for me, but is it normal? Will she grow out of it?

#3 ·
I really like those naps, too.

But here at 4 months, this is what I do NOT like:

1. Lunging backward out of arms and slings
2. Grabbing and scratching my face with little sharp nails when frustrated
3. Clamping down on the nipple and pulling off--hard--when frustrated

I guess we are entering a new stage, huh?

So I got behind on last month's chat, and y'all have probably so moved on, but here's my additions to the bygone conversations:

Yes, agreed, November '05 babies are precioso. Here's a silly picture of Woody (who most commonly goes by "Bug" or "Baby Bug"). We were fightiing dragons that day with the magic wand. And here's one of Woody with his favorite chew toy, Fat Rabbit.

We celebrated our conception date, too, but it was way back on February 19. I think we more noticed it than celebrated, but I can't really remember now...

Ditto on the babies grabbing food and drink thing. I have let Woody lick a banana so far, but he's showing a lot more curiosity as of late, so I'm considering venturing out a bit farther in the name of scientific exploration.

#5 ·
TBH, I can't believe time is going so fast.
I'm back at work now, one day a week, and Skye is coping well. In general, though, she's getting more frustrated: you can see that she realises that there's a whole world out there to explore, and she can't quite figure out how to fit it all in her mouth at once (so to speak, anyhow.)
Inspired by the Rapley study, we're allowing Skye to explore steamed vegetables when she sits at the table with us at mealtimes. I can't see anything to suggest that anything that goes into her mouth is actually going down her throat (we're still on sweet-smelling mustard poo), but she's obviously having great fun and it's allowing us to eat a more balanced diet than sandwiches, sandwiches and sandwiches. No signs of any reactions, btw.
Spughy, way to go on the nursing
I know this is something I take far too much for granted, but I think its so cool the way you two have stuck at it
And yes, the napping with a boob in the mouth thing will pass.
Oh- on nicknames, Skye, for some unknown reason, normally goes by boobie-do. (to rhyme with scooby-do.) I'm embarrassed now

#6 ·
We got Easter/4 month old pictures taken yesterday.

All 3 boys
Look at those cheeks!
Baby Winter
All 3 boys and some Eater eggs

I am well on my way to learning how to knit! I learned how to cast on and knit the normal way and I kind of learned how to purl and now I'm knitting in the round! There's a Stitch N Bitch today I'm going to but it's getting hard to take Winter with me because he likes to grab the yarn.

Helen, I can't imagine going back to work now but I might have to as well. Glad to hear Skye is handling it well.
Teresa, I celebrated Winter's conception on February 27th, although I was celebrating alone since DP wasn't involved with conceiving him and Winter's uninvolved "father" wasn't exactly happy about the whole baby thing.
Sarah, we have naps like that too.
And youch on the clamping down in frustration! OW.

#7 ·
I posted this on the OTHER April thread so now I'll move it over here.
Well FSM, it turns out that YOUR super secret thread *wasn't*, this one was!
(as in, so secret we didn't know it existed)

Regarding the whole no time to clean the house thing.
Dude.
I just got the "the kids aren't doing enough chores the house is always messy I'm ashamed to have people inside" speach from DP last night.

It's rough. I love having an imaculate house. That's a lovely thing. And when I'm like 60, that's exactly what I plan to have. But these days it's a lot easier for me to keep busy breastfeeding, constantly entertaining Mr Baby Pants, homeschooling, & taking the kids out & about than it is to keep the place show worthy. And I like to remind DP of my favorite corny saying that I stole from Family Circus no less. It goes something like "In 50 years will anyone care that the floors were not swept today or that there was clutter on the tables? No!! But my kids will be happier & more secure human beings because I spent TIME with them all day & people WILL notice that." So there. But I still stayed up til 1am cleaning anyway.

And in other news, Xeowyn is soooo sick! We took him to the ped Friday-- ear infection, eye infections, major cold, & wheezing due to bronchial inflammation. He was absolutely miserable all weekend. He goes into these horrible coughing fits until he throws up gobs & gobs of mucus. We just took turns carrying & rocking him, or hanging out in the steamy bathroom all weekend. The poor kid's on Erythromycin, Amoxicilan (sp?) & Albuterol (?? the bronchial dilator). My poor baby muffin face.

DiD........
News??

Ditto on the scratchy little nails scraping my flesh all the live long day, BTE! Oy, not fun.
Well, Mr Baby isn't very entertained by staring at the computer screen. Guess I'd better go work on that immaculate house thing.

#8 ·
Oh how confusing... two April threads! I too am missing the infant phase... it almost makes me want another one. I stress ALMOST! I am trying to savor every moment of babyhood. I am pretty much going nuts over here. I just found out that DH has high blood pressure... as in 157/102! I am a SAHM and DH doesn't come home until 7pm at which point I am ready to pull my hair out. Now I feel like I am going to have to put a smile on when he walks through the door because I don't want to stress him out. Today was his first day of his new location (promotion). So, I know he is going to be busy with that. I don't have anyone around here to help me out. Not to mention that this rain is giving me cabin fever. Thanks for letting me vent. Gotta run Mandy is calling.

#10 ·
I'm not having any trouble keeping my apartment clean but that's probably because it's teeny tiny and my kids love to help me clean. Baby Winter loves to sit in his bouncy seat and watch me clean but he likes it even more when he gets an up close view in the sling. I alternate between the two, depending on what I'm doing and how much my back hurts.

#11 ·
Wow. I am the most unobservant person in the milky way. I just freaked out in your blog DiD, about your name being Lydia & it's right there in your siggie.Dork am I.

My poor sicky baby is still sicky. Which means uber fussy.

So I was wondering-- how, when & where are you guys exercising? I totally did not predict how hard it would be to find time for exercising this time around. The last time I had a baby, my only other kid was in public school so I had all day to myself. Things are so different now! And, I refuse to work out in front of DP. I feel like dork bouncing all over the living room or doing the 'ol leg lifts. But that's dumb because he works at home 2 days per week. I try to grab time here & there to do a bunch of jumping jacks or whatever but I'm sure not exercising everyday & I'm so tired of being chunky & squishy. How about you all?

#12 ·
Zjande, I am trying to fit in some exercise a couple times a week when DH has the child out for a walk. So far I've managed one bike ride and a couple of half-hour pilates workouts - not so great for someone who used to bike 2 hrs a day and THEN hit the gym. Ugh. I totally know what you mean about feeling chunky and squishy. I lost all my pregnancy weight immediately when Rowan was born but since then I've put nearly all of it on again
And this time, it's not something that can be squeezed out.

Rowan seems to have gone back to sleeping through the night - thank goodness! The past 4 nights she's slept at least 6 hours in a row each night. It's amazing what a difference that makes for my mental health. Oh, and ditto on the scratchy little nails - I was SO hesitant to use the nail clippers at first, but now I'm snipping them every chance I get. I don't need permanent scars on my boobies, thanks.

In other news, we seem to be starting Rowan down the road to degeneracy early. Last night we were at a friend's place for dinner and she expressed a great deal of interest in our pre-dinner beers...
: so we let her stick her tongue in the glass (basically, licking the beer) and she LOVED it. Wiggling, making little panting noises, grabbing for the glasses... so so cute. Is that wrong?

(BTW, Helen - what is that study you were mentioning about introducing solids? I'd like to read it.)

#13 ·
Can I jump in?

You guys have such a great bond here! I remember everyone from the DDC, and am now just getting to be able to get online daily. I'd love to be a part of this wonderful group again.

Sarah-Abigail totally nap-n-snacks. And alll night too. I just posted over at "Nighttime Parenting and the Family Bed". I've been assured that it gets easier in a few months- that 4 months old is a tough little baby age. Also, my daughter does that overfeeding thing at times too, and just spits it back p.

Abigail is rolling around, grabbing things, and putting everything in her mouth! She is very smiley and has recently started laughing. I need to post some pictures so you all can meet her. I think she's teething. Drooling everywhere! I've tried teething tablets and they don't seem to help. What else can I use besides the Baby Orajel that dh is constantly trying to push on me?

Aubrey-I hear you on the chunky/squishy thing too. My wardrobe is 2 pair of jeans and t-shirts.
I hesitate to diet while nursing, but I could stand to jump on the treadmill for a bit every day.

I'm having a hard time letting go of the clean house thing. I cleaned and nested so much at the end of my prgenancy, that I got used to the place being a freaking museum! It was REALLY hard the first few weeks PP to watch everything slide downhill. Now, I try to do the only necessary stuff, like kitchen and bathrooms, laundry and general straightening. Some days it's too much to handle and I cry-mostly out of frustration. I try to remember that I will have plenty of time to keep my house 'just so' when the kids are gone.
It's still hard though.

Okay, she has decided that my computer time is up.

#14 ·
its april already! ak

ngaio is getting very interested in everything ( including alcohol bottles, zjande
)! she is a curious soul for sure!

zjande, sorry to hear about your sick babe.. weve had some masjor sickness around here and its fianlly going away and im scared that she is going to get exposed to yet another cold.. healing vibes to you

when elwynn was a babe his favorite teething toy was my dads cold beer bottle

rebekah: welcome back! im so with you on the clean house issue.. im always trying to keep the house tidy..even if id rather have a nap.. i just cant let go of it! i know ngaio is going to be mobile soon enuff then sahe will be eating every piece of dirt and grime and ill have none of that

On TEETHING... homeopathic camomilla works wonders and arnica as well.. you can get kids homeopathics but i prefer the adult stuff disolved in a little bit of water then i spoon feed it to her

i totally know about the feeling fat and squishy.. ive been working out a lot.. most weeks 3 times a week ( at curves which i know is evil..but its easy to get to and fast and effective, so i do it) but still i feel like its not going fast enuff.. ive always been on the heavier side, but im really determined to get fit and healthy this year.. so far so good

we also walk a lot and ive been riding my bike a bit too..

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bex80
Can I jump in?

Aubrey-I hear you on the chunky/squishy thing too. My wardrobe is 2 pair of jeans and t-shirts.
I hesitate to diet while nursing, but I could stand to jump on the treadmill for a bit every day.

Yes, please do jump in!
And good idea, share some pictures of your cutie!!
Ug, the lack of clothes!! Me too! I fit into just a few outfits. If I wanted to feel like a frumpy housewife I could just live in my pj pants everyday, THEY still fit just fine!
And it sucks, I do wish I could just diet too. Dieting is so much easier for me than darn exercising. But I too don't feel that I could diet healthily while bfeeding. Plus, my bad bad no-good diet choice in the past has always been meal skipping. I just don't eat, but that's SURELY the worst way to lose weight while attempting to make tasty breastmilk!!

spughy, HAHA about the beer licking baby! So she liked it 'eh? Smart baby!! Oh wait, pretend I didn't just say that.
I've always let my kidlets taste my alcoholic things. Better keep it all out in the open, not make it out to be some shameful taboo. But starting at 4 mos. old is a LITTLE earlier than I would've imagined necessary.

We've had a stressful homeschooling day here today. My 14 yr old is feeling totally overwhelmed by the amount of work our new independent study school has assigned her. I agree that it IS a lot of work, & a lot of it unnecessary. Like who needs to know what the heck an ionic bond is at 14?? So, veryvery long story short, we decided to take her out the the program & focus on preparing for the California High School Proficiency exam in 1.5 years. She only needs to understand reading comp, essay writing (language arts) & math to pass. Then she can get out of high school & on with LIFE!

#17 ·
You mean your name wasn't Lydia more than a month ago?

Hey I just now submitted our private school affidavit for my dd. We decided to call our (home) school Sage Seasons.

#18 ·
KeaganRae has really changed in the last month or so. Much of the "baby fat" on his thighs is gone, as is that from his belly. I looked at him tonight and he looks like such a little man - where did my baby go?
He is definately teething - hand is in his mouth all the time, and there are three teeth trying to poke out as we speak. The other day I put him on his stomach in front of a full length mirror in our bedroom and he promptly rolled over to look at the "other" baby in the mirror upside down. I put him back on his belly to see what he would do and he rolled over again - we did this four times but he has refused to roll over anywhere else but in front of the mirror. Interesting.
We are not going to start on solid foods for at least another 2 months, but he is sure interested - reaching for plates and trying to pull everything toward him. It has sure made meals interesting, particularly trying to eat soup

-Susannah

#20 ·
Oh yeeeeeaaah, Ashe DOES sound familiar!
I like Lydia. Going back to your roots is an awesome thing.

#22 ·
Dude. You've posted like 65 times today.

After I sent my aunt pics of me & the new baby she responded with a letter that said "but Aubrey, you have such pretty BLOND hair!!!" I've died my hair black and/or blue for the past 7 yrs, blond's my natural color. Haha. I just don't see myself as a blond. And dp never has! But perhaps there shall be a day that I too decide to go back to my roots.

How come you don't have a fancy senior title? I've already been trying to decide what mine will be.

#25 ·
Amy, the Rapley study is here:
http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html
Paraphrasing wildly, it makes no significant difference when children start trying to eat solids, if left entirely to their own devices then nothing's going to be swallowed until about 6 months anyhow.
Lydia, thanks for explaining that.Every time I see you post my head goes "but I'm sure her name was..." Way to go with the knitting, btw: when are you going to tackle your first soaker?
Zjande, you crack me up.
Also, presenting the solution to the mummy tummy: corsets. A friend of mine made me an underbust one which controls the rolls of flab but still allows me to layer up with a shirt for that wenchy look.

#26 ·
DID, you changed your name?! That is so cool of you to do. Is it weird, I mean to think of yourself as something else? I guess not so much since it was your name before. I always loved the name Ashe though.

I'm so with y'all on the exercise thing. I get out and walk every chance we get (the weather is still chilly here) but I have not made it to the gym and probably won't for a while. Oh well. I have about 10 pounds til I feel cute again, which isn't so bad, but I am really limited in terms of the clothes I can fit into. Apparently I was teeny-tiny before I got pregnant. Do any of you look at your pre-preg clothes and think, "I used to fit into that??!!"

We're going to our 4-month well baby appointment this morning, so I'm curious to see how much my little punkin weighs. She was 13 lbs 11 oz about 3 weeks ago so I'm sure she's over 14 by now, and I think she's around 26" long. Yay, grow baby grow!

DH gets home from Japan on Friday. Yippee!!

Oh I was going to ask, what have y'all done for birth control so far? I'm going to the OB late this month and I think I might ask about a diaphragm. It seems like really the only choice because I don't want an IUD and I'm not going back on the pill! And no, I'm not really feeling nostalgic for Brynn's newborn days. I was actually just watching our home videos yesterday and it is such a blur to me, I hardly remember anything that we taped so it's kind of surreal to watch it! I love the stage she's in now though and things are getting to be more enjoyable all the time. I definitely don't want to go back!! And the thought of having another baby and going through all of that again sends shudders down my spine!

I'm going to my first movie today (hopefully)! This will be my first theater experience since Harry Potter, before Brynn was born. I'm excited! We're going to see Failure to Launch. Matthew McCaughnahey....mmmmmm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.