Age to use Ergo w/o infant insert? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-02-2006, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to get an Ergo and I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth it to get the infant insert depending on how long we would use it or if we should save the money and wait it out. What age did your baby go without the insert?
#2 of 4 Old 04-02-2006, 08:56 PM

We didn't use the infant insert with ours (we didn't use the Ergo until 5 months), but I'd assume you'd need it for a while--until they can support their head well on their own. So, if you don't buy it, you'd probably want another carrier that you can use at the beginning.
#3 of 4 Old 04-02-2006, 09:48 PM

I have an infant insert that I never used. I tried using it once and no matter what I did I couldn't get the babe comfortable. I haven't used the ergo yet with dd2 but I'm guessing soon.

Mama to two wonderful daughers: 02/03/03 and 10/19/05
#4 of 4 Old 04-03-2006, 01:21 AM

We got our Ergo, with insert, just at the edge of the recommended range for the insert -- I think DD was 13 weeks. We did use the insert a few times, but by 15 weeks we were just doing a straight front carry.

The insert is pretty confusing; it's hard to imagine using it for a baby who doesn't _need_ it. I'd probably recommend not bothering -- you wouldn't use it for long, and there are workarounds. When it's winter (well, okay, soon it won't be! perhaps where you are it already is over!) a puffy snowsuit can play the same role in letting you carry the baby in a "sling" position. Or, as long as your baby has good head control (DD did quite early on) you can let him/her keep one or both feet tucked in at the bottom, instead of splayed out on either side of you... that was definitely more comfortable for DD at first.

Academic mama to Miss T. (09/05) and Miss V. (05/09).
Oh, and (hence )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page