---October 2005 Mamas, It's May!--- - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 334 Old 05-09-2006, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
wow, that is HORRIBLE! i can't believe you had the patience to wait until the next day, i would have given him an earful that night! then again, there would be yelling involved so that is really a great thing that you waited.
oh man, poor baby D=

and poor jakob and piper ugh. i hated when haye was sick. i can't imagine having two sick. yikes.

i sew a LOT. i swapped the fabric for this: because the other stuff was duck canvas and i was nervous about sewing with it.

i'm going to make a 60s style dress like this: the first one...

anyways, we have a clothing company and i was sewing patches on clothes for that for awhile, but i kind of quit because i was bored and we now outsource them. anyways. i just sew stuff. i try and sew every day but lately it's been less, babies you know... haye is FASCINATED with the sewing machine. i have a kids sewing machine from when i was little and when he's old enough (like...4?) i'll teach him how to sew. i'm excited!

the sock monkeys are SOOOOO easy to make.
all you do is take one sock and sew two legs on the open end all the way down the neck of the sock. then you keep the crotch area open and turn it inside out, stuff it and sew it up. voila, a monkey! use the heel for a mouth, and the second sock to make arms and a tail and ears, stuff them and sew them on. easy peasy. i'll find you real instructions now. okay here they are.

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 334 Old 05-09-2006, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh my are we talkative! Already on page 7 9 days into the month!

Does anyone have any ideas for homemade toys? Caia loves paper and stuff like that but I'm so worried she's going to get a paper cut in her eye! I crumple it up into a ball, but she still eats it lol. I may have to try your sock monkey Rylee, looks cool. When I was pregnant I saw a great list of stuff from the house and nature that make good baby toys, I can't find it anymore though

All of her sweet potato came out she filled 3 diapers with orange goo. Normally she only goes once a day. She is still ravenous.

freestyler - nope, can't put my hand up on that one, DH asks me every time to just pick out an outfit for him to put on her well if I had time to pick it out, I wouldn't have asked you to do it.

Wryknowlicious - I'm sorry your DH did that to your poor baby. Sometimes they really are clueless arent they? You handled it way better than I would have though, once I saw DH ignoring dd while she cried and I went ballistic on him. He said "what? I'm holding her" (sorry bub, doesn't count if you don't pay attention to her)
#123 of 334 Old 05-09-2006, 08:19 PM

i don't know any other toys to make, i wish i did though!

#124 of 334 Old 05-09-2006, 08:48 PM

I don't think I'm feeling the Ergo love

I got my Ergo yesterday, and I don't think I like it. I canNOT fasten the freaking back strap without help from my 5 year old, and I don't really like how it feels on the front. It feels like the straps should cross in the back, which I think I could technically do, but it would make getting the baby in and out harder. I wore him on my back at the laundromat today, and it was mostly comfortable, but I think I decided I don't like carrying him on my back. He seemed really bored back there, and I could barely look at him - had to reaaaaaally crane my neck around to see him. He wasn't fussy or anything, just staring off into space. I finally pulled out the stroller and let him sit in that while I pulled clothes out of the drier, and he seemed much happier - and I could talk to him and interact with him.

I guess I'll give it a little while to decide if I like it or not. I might have Jim try it with Rhiannon in it for a back carry - that could be helpful at times. In any case, if I decide I don't like it, the price was so good that I might even make money if I sell it.
#125 of 334 Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 PM

here's a hint: pull the buckle belt at the top up HIGHER, it helps a LOT.
then you can get him in and out fast.

#126 of 334 Old 05-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Another hint: Try to get a babywearing expert to help you put in on and adjust it once. That is what worked for us! I couldn't get it on right. Still, it took me a month to love it! Now I DO love it!! Heh heh, I'll buy yours off you...just kidding!
#127 of 334 Old 05-09-2006, 10:22 PM

My hubby and i started the South Beach Diet today. It sucks, and i cheated three times already LOL.
#128 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Ryvre, haha I'm not really laughing at you, but with you. I've been lowcarbing off and on since Piper was born. Not any specific plan really, I really try to focus on plenty of protein and good fats, healthy veggies, a tiny bit of fruit. You know, avoid the potato chips, chocolate, bread, etc. But, I cheat lots. Especially with chocolate...okay and today I had bread and potato chips too Since Piper was born I've lost 39 lbs (12 lbs lost right after she was born). I've been exercising (not always as much as I like) and just doing the best I can to stay low carb most of the time and not beat myself up for the occassional cheats. Hey I wonder if I lost any weight from this stomach bug we have?

#129 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 01:38 AM

South Beach huh. I'd heard that it's kind of a nice diet, but I suppose it's totally a personal preference thing. The best diet is...NO diet at all! Hey, come live with us. The four kids will run your buns off, we just eat two big meals a day (and usually no snacks), and we swim from 3-5 every afternoon. And no desserts, except maybe on weekends. Ha ha ha....it sounds so good, so why do I still STILL have 20 lbs to lose??!!?? Maybe I should explore South Beach too.

Does anyone else have trouble losing the last 10 lbs until they are nursing a lot less? I've always held onto the weight until the babies are on solids, and then I lose it. As soon as I hit 132 again, BAM, I get pregnant. Must be my "dangerous" weight, ha ha. And every time I get to 175 in the end of pregnancy, I go into labor. Not a pound more, not a pound less, no matter what weight I start at. Isn't that freaky? Does anyone else have a magic labor-starter weight? (After four kids, I start seeing patterns. Scary.)

Good luck with your diet!! Cool that DH will do South Beach with you.

Darn. I JUST finished the laundry load of dirty diapers, and Hillary just pooped again. This gets old sometimes, this diapering thing.
#130 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 01:38 AM

oops double post
#131 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 01:44 AM

yes.
that last 10 pounds is a PITB. I think I really have 17 more pounds to go - but DH insists it is only 10 more.

Whats funny is I weighed 156 when I got pregnant the 2nd time and I weighed 156 when I gave birth. I'm trying to get back to my pre 1st pregnacy weight.
#132 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 05:26 AM

Oh my goodness EVC, how scary! How is your baby doing today? How is your Dh handling it?

This is a fascinating group

Are your babies starting to make sounds yet? I remember my older children all making the "mamamamama" sound by seven months. Ali will be seven months on Monday and doesn't 'talk' at all. She squeals {especially early in the morning when I want to sleep and she wants to play } but no vowel-y sounds yet. Eh, I'm sure she's fine. She's probably just a more physical babe.
#133 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 11:36 AM

I'm trying to get those last 10 lbs off too and man are they stubborn! I do weight watchers and I love it...I'm totally in the cult. I lost 45 lbs between dd and ds, gained it all back plus 5 during the pregnancy, and now I'm down to just the last 10. I think I was eating too much after ds started solids, so I cut some points (like calories and fat) and now I'm losing slowly again. I so don't have the discipline for south beach!

J is saying some "words" like dadadada and when he wants to nurse he assumes the position and says "oh oh oh!" it's so cute.

I'd say keep trying with the ergo. It's got a learning curve like a sling but is so worth it. something that helps me is when everything is on to do a little jump or wiggle and make sure ds is secure, and then tighten everything again. But if it doesn't work, they do have an awesome resale value and I have heard good things about the patapum and becopack, similar carriers that I'd LOVE to try if I had the $$!

better get some work done, bye mamas.
#134 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

I couldn't say anything about those last 10 lbs cause I have a bit more to lose than that. I've just reached a weight 1 pound lower than my prepreg weight with Piper. I need to lose 25 more to get back to my Jakob prepreg weight. Then once I get there, to be at a healthy weight I need to lose another 20 lbs.

#135 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 02:40 PM
EVC

Bailey, did you see this on the trading post? As I recall, you are interested in making soap: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=450105

Quote:
How is your baby doing today? How is your Dh handling it?
Baby is fine--she's her usual self again, smiley and active. Thank goodness! Dh was kind of freaked out the day it happened and before I went to bed I could tell he was still pretty shaken up, but he too is back to his old self now. And my classes are over, so now I can be with dd fulltime (At least for the next four months.)

Quote:
Are your babies starting to make sounds yet?
It comes and goes, but sometimes she is very chatty. Usually gabababla or dadada. I love it But this started fairly recently for us.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#136 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 03:02 PM

haye is constantly talking, well no, now he's moved on to sticking his tongue out and spitting at people.

#137 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 03:19 PM

Hello ladies...a few minutes while baby naps and Sophia visits the kids next door. Hubby is off getting work done on the big truck!

There is no way I can ever catch up!

Ergos...watch the video online and also move the back staps up so you can reach them...that's how I learned...I had one bad day, couldn't figure it out and then watched the video and learned it easy peasy...now I can even swing her around to my back alone! OH and loosen the side straps every time too..that helps.

Weight...I lost 18 lbs on Eat to Live and then had all the visitors to let it go a bit...now I am ready to lose the next 18...that's about all I need to lose to feel comfortable. In the meantime I am buying myself some pants today...I have 2 pairs...and they are too baggy!

House situation is not so good...ours is listed..sign went up today but our house we were buying got a better offer, unconditional so we are letting it go. To much of a gamble...I was really disappointed and depressed last night but I feel better about it today...it wasn't meant to be ours or it would be...something better will come up soon! In the meantime we are busy getting ours ready for an open house on Saturday....send "sell the house, get the $$ we want for it vibes"!!!

Baby talk~Martina is the babbliest baby of all my babes...she rarely stops vocalizing...she is into BABABA and DADADA alot these days...It's like "BA" "BA" "BA" not all strung together...and she loves blowing raspberries and making clicking noises too. She's a doll!

Haye is adorable Rylee! I love the monkey "Haven't you always wanted a monkey?"...lol...the line from the Bare Naked Ladies song 'million dollars' immediately came to mine when I saw it.

Well it's 24degrees and sunny and I have a garden to be dug up...

cheers
Carolyn
#138 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 03:29 PM

brrr 24 degrees. Yesterday it was in the high 80s here lol. I cannot keep up either. I lag behind all the time, but know that i do read everyones post. My retention stops there because i seem to forget what im about to post. When do our brains come back???

Kayleigh isnt much for talking, but i think its because shes more of a watcher and a listener. She does sing though, lots and lots of it when i sing her to sleep at night.

Weight and diets. I dont diet though i should eat better. I am 10 lbs below my prepregnancy weight. My magic number is 140. If i hit i know im gong to get preggers. I was at 120 for about 2 months there, but that was cuz of the Graves disease, but i wasnt complaining lol. Im slowly creeping back up to 130 and not liking it too much. Oh well, i wont be ina suit much and its not like i have any guy around tobe looking at me lol. Its kind of nice!

I had to order a new batch of diapers cuz Kayleigh is growing again. Sigh. Shes in 12 month clothes and it depresses me. Cant wait to get em. ITs an awesome site for any moms interested in cloth diapers that are actually affodable http://www.diaperfairycreations.com Im not sure if she has the custom fairy fluffs up right now but they are the best AIO's, fitteds and AI2's especially for the price. Anyways. sorry i love them!

Ok girls are fussing, my time is over

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#139 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 03:39 PM

24 degrees celcius...not brrrr..hehe...quite nice and warm...I keep forgetting the temperature is still measure in farenheit in the States...
#140 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 03:45 PM

hahaha. i was going to say...that's like 75 in the states!

#141 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 03:54 PM

You know im such a tard! Didnt even stop to think it was in C. Sorry for the tard moment

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#142 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 04:09 PM

#143 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 04:16 PM

Thanks EVC for the link! I'm glad everyone is doing better after the scare.

That stinks carolyn about the house. Oh well a better one will probably come along

freestyler - about the eating, I have a good friend who is a nutritionist and personal trainer, she says you'll actually loose more weight and feel healthier by eating 5-6 small meals through out the day instead of 2 -3 big ones. When your stomach gets empty your body thinks you are starving so it will slow your metabolisim and store everything you eat instead of burning it. I think the ratio in your stomach she said was 1/3 food, 1/3 water, and 1/3 empty at all times.

sounds- Caia has been saying "ah goo" since she was 2 months and in the past few weeks has started with "mama" or "mom". It's kinda cute when she cries she'll wail and say "mom".

weight...: ugh, weight sucks. I gained 90lbs with Caia. I lost 20lbs right after birth and I have stayed there since. It's soo frusterating since I had been loosing weight before I got pregnant and was down to a size 6. I was thrilled, and now this. I'm exercising 3x a week, eating healthy, and doing lots of house cleaning every day and I still haven't lost a pound. I need to do more exercise, espically for my mental sanity. I used to be physically active 10-15 hours a day, and now I sit on a couch nursing the majority of the time. I can't wait til she's walking. Everyone says I'll regret saying that but I'd much rather chase a kid than sit. I did convince dh to go veggie though, so hopefully that will help some.

Caia needs some new diapers as well. I was thinking of making some since all of the ones I have are so bulky excpet the swaddlebees and they leak.

Hehe Caia is playing with the tags on her toy. I used to do the same thing as a kid, I could care less about the toy, give me the tags. My parents always said that they were going to get me a box of tags.
#144 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 04:29 PM

sounds- Eloisa has just recently become a babbeler.
But only when noone is looking directlyt at her. It's funny, like she doesn't want you to know.
she does alot of "mwa na ma mamamama mwa mwa na" and "schoo schaaa aaa schaaa oooo"

temperature - it's 95 degrees out right now in South Texas @ 1:30pm - hottest part of the day is 3 or 4. So we'll see.
When DH gets home we are goign to barbeque and swim down at the pool.
#145 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 04:43 PM

i wish it was HOT here.
that would be awesome!
haye likes the tags on his toys too, i was cutting them off but now i'm not!

#146 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 05:43 PM

I'm so tired right now. The kids are crawling up my butt and I'm so exhausted. it's always my oldest who's a total plague; she has tantrums like a 2-yr-old every day. Right now she's storming about a missing toy piece, and shouting and screaming. The 3-yr-old just feels lost, the 5-yr-old is always mischievous and the baby wants to nurse non-stop. DH came home from a trip last night and left again this morning out of town again (this tiime not far). He's been home about 3 weeks total since like Christmas. (Well, maybe more than that.) The kids are psycho and don't know whether they have one parent or two.

This morning I got up super early to work on my son's quilt and, oops, screwed up a huge portion before realizing it, and now I have to do it over. His birthday is Saturday and how in the world can I finish it, god only knows. I have to do 2/3 of the top over, ugh. It was SO hard the first time!!

I think I've decided what to do about piano lessons. Since it's a financial, time and logistical nightmare to get them to their lessons AND have them practice every day, I'm gonna ... take them OUT of lessons and put MYSELF back into lessons!! Which is exactly what I should have done in the first place. I miss piano so much, and have not played for three years. Every time I sit down to practice with them, I think, "Why am I doing this?? I do so much with/for them already, why more? This should be MY practice time!!" I need to listen to that voice inside myself and do something that makes ME happy and still fills the house with music. Of course I'm feeling so guilty because I believe everyone should have a musical education, but well, sometimes something has to give. We just can't do everything as parents. Helping FOUR kids to learn piano, homeschooling, swimming, teaching them how to sew....and then the ordinary household, etc stuff. It's just too too much.

My oldest kid is standing here literally screaming in my ear. it SUCKS. I want to clobber her.

Speaking of weather, it is so gorgeous here today and there is a nice breeze. After we have lunch, I'm gonna take the kids to the beach for a while. Bag swimming and all the rest. I need some sea breezes to regain my sanity. The last 24 hours have been a total and unmitigated nightmare. Single parenting is hell, total hell. God the kids never stop fighting. if DH doesn't stop travelling so much I'm going to lose my mind.

Like you said Allgirls, it's sink or swim. Time to start cutting some corners around here and doing things an easier way. Have a good hump day everyone! I have a Russian friend who had never heard "hump day" and she was SO confused by it, you can imagine!

I'm gonna go put in earplugs now. This tantrum business is making my ears ring. I can't take it anymore.
#147 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 06:51 PM

man, what a shitty day!
i'm sorry i have no words of advice or helpful things to say.
just an internet hug...not much help.
that sucks. have you talked to DH about it yet?
thank god for earplugs!

#148 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 07:43 PM

Wow, you all have been chatty the last couple days! I have been reading, but haven't had a chance to post!

We finally have some nice weather here. I took the girls for a walk to the park, and I think Emma is a bit tired today. First she had a tantrum at the park because I said no to buying a Slurpee since I didn't bring any money with me, and walking to that store is a pain since it's on the edge of an industrial area, and for part of the way there are no sidewalks and it's a busy road with lots of trucks. Anyway, she got over that when I said she could have ice cream at home. Then when we got home, she had an all out tantrum because she wanted our house to be blue (it's white), and got made when I wouldn't go out and change the colour of our house right now!! Yup, I'll get right on that honey. She's now watching Backyardigans and eating ice cream, well, actually it looks like she'll fall asleep any second.

Annika is still napping in her stroller, but I don't think it will last much longer. She's already been asleep in there longer than she has ever been. She had a great time going on the baby swing at the park!

I haven't added my 3 things you don't know about me, so here goes

1. I speak Swedish fluently. Dh is from Sweden, we lived together there for 3 years, and dd1 was born there.

2. I have 2 bachelors degrees - one in political science and one in business. It took 8 years to finish both degrees. My parents thought I was going to be in school forever, and if it weren't for the cost, I would probably go back to school (for what I don't know, I just love learning), and if we were still in Sweden, there was a Master's program I wanted to do there.

3. I am part Mennonite. My grandma's (dad's mom) parents immigrated from Germany. I don't think they ever lived on a colony, but my Grandma did grow up in Southern Ontario where there is a very big Mennonite population.
#149 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 07:44 PM

Talked to DH? You mean the mystery man? The invisible man, who is never home? Hmmm. Today is his birthday. He can get himself a cake if he wants, otherwise he can forget about it.

It's beautiful out. We're outta here!

Bye all!
#150 of 334 Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 PM

i don't blame you.
i'd just write him an email or something though.

well my mom was on msn today and she was asking me if i want to come home anytime soon (if you remember they were just here like. 2-3 weeks ago for my birthday for a week) and i was like yeah, of course i do! and my mom was like "okay, when?" and i was like TODAY! and she was like "well, how about monday? dad and i are thinking about driving up sunday and then bringing you and haye home for 10 days if you want to come"...hooray! so we're going. derek said it sounded like a good idea (i talk a lot about how much i miss my family, i grew up in a VERY small town (under 3000 people) and my nana and poppa lived up the street from us my entire life and my cousins lived 5 minutes away my entire life). so yeah, i'm excited! it's going to be a long trip in the car (like, 12 hours probably) and i'm NOT excited about that, but my parents are pretty understanding and will stop when we need it etc. they will have to listen to music very loud for much of the trip though if haye is angry, so they better deal!!! it's such a long time away from derek and that sucks, but we have to go for that long because it's such a long trip, you know?
anyways. getting nervous about being in the car with haye for that long.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page