---October 2005 Mamas, It's May!--- - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 334 Old 05-18-2006, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beep beep beep Another news flash: My baby is standing up! It's so much fun for her and luckily for her, she doesn't fall over almost at all! Hmmmm, I think babies and toddlers should have built-in helmets though. She went from crawling to standing in like two weeks, she must be feeling the sibling pressure! She also snarfed down some of my glazed beets this morning. She tried to rip them out of my hand before I even had them mashed up! She was like desperate to eat them. Well, they ARE good!

Bailey--That location sounds divine!!! I'm jealous.
#242 of 334 Old 05-19-2006, 04:24 PM

Hi mammas---I just posted a long post in Personal Growth, because something happened that really really really upset me the other day. I've been thinking about it and decided to put it out there and see if anyone had any comments about what happened. It has to do with people talking about me behind me back and VERY incorrectly judging my parenting. This was so over-the-top WRONG. How would others respond? I had a hard time responding and just was so caught off guard that I just didn't know WHAT to say!! It was so insulting and upsetting. I thought about posting my story here but thought it should go in Personal Growth....so if you wanna read, go ahead. I welcome any input!!
#243 of 334 Old 05-19-2006, 05:31 PM
EVC

Quote:
Beep beep beep Another news flash: My baby is standing up! I
Now that is just scary! I am SO not ready for that

on your personal growth post. That really is upsetting and aggravating. What should you do? I don't know I think they just plain don't like you (you listed some possible reasons for that). So they gossip and judge you. Remember that song/movie "Harper Valley PTA"? It actually reminded me of that, especially the line "Then you have the nerve to tell me you think that as a mother I'm not fit. Well, this is just a little Peyton Place and you're all Harper Valley hypocrites"

Wish you could find another place to swim

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#244 of 334 Old 05-19-2006, 06:22 PM

EVC I love that quote!! it rocks. Thank you. Those damned people. Grrrrrrr.

About the baby standing.....ummm, I have to move the crib mattress down. Once a week or so she likes to play with her mobile and go to sleep in there (for a change of scenery I suppose! ) and today when I went in I found her standing at the rail. Now she could topple out. Time to lower the mattress.

Time to go to the beach.
#245 of 334 Old 05-20-2006, 07:11 PM
EVC

WOO HOO!!!!!!

I just finished my last paper! I am officially on summer vacation!!!

OK, I just wanted to bump the thread

#246 of 334 Old 05-21-2006, 10:03 PM

Hi everyone!! Where has everyone suddenly gone?
#247 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 12:59 AM

Freestyler...I think I know what it is...read the personal growth thing...I think they know they couldn't do it all with 4 kids and so they figure you can't either. They don't know you are capable of it at all.

I have 4 kids...I don't know how many times people have said to me "you're crazy, you must be ready to jump off a bridge some days, I can't handle one, how do you do it with 4, the older ones must really help out etc. etc."

Well guess what...I rarely lose it, I spend all my time taking care of other people, I rarely take "me" time and I also rarely lose my patience, temper etc. because I really really enjoy it most of the time and I have my DH on my side as well.

I bet you are also very capable and love it too, though in venting occasionally to the wrong people it may be that they figure you have to be "close to breaking" because they would be.

I would be marching right back to that pool and I would spread the word that some no good busy body was talking crap about you and that they must be pretty insecure in their own pathetic lives to talk about someone who is as patient and capable with her children as you are! I would be telling all, far and wide how I am "anti spanking" and how I would be charging tjhem with defamation of character if I found out who the sorry old biddy was...

but that's just me....:

Wish I was there to get your back mama
#248 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 01:54 AM

just wanted to tell you guys we're alive!
i have to go get some sleep while i can, haye's top teeth are on their way and he is about 5 times crankier than with his bottoms. i feel exhausted. we haven't slept well since...well i don't even remember! the car ride was good, we made it in 12 hours *speeding and i nursed a couple times on the road. i had to take my belt off though, i couldn't reach him with it on. i think i'm shrinking. i'm down to 128 pounds and size 27 jeans. i'm hoping i put on some weight, i am getting sick of EVERYBODY telling me how thin i am. like, DUH! I KNOW, SHUT UP ALREADY! one good thing is i swapped my sister pants and hers fit me awesome. i haven't EVER been able to fit in her jeans.
anyways. blah blah blah. i'm rambling and my eyes are glazing over. i should go to bed. if i get a chance to post some pictures tomorrow i sure will.
i'm caught up and congrats on all the standing/crawling/walking babes, the house-sellings and the fixed sewing machine! no period here, haye will be 8 months in 6 days. crazy.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#249 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 11:39 AM

Hi Ryleee..glad you made it safe and sound!

Martina was born October 26, I had a 3 day period that started Dec 29 and I spotted twice since ...nothing since!!!

so dh is back to work and I miss him..it was great having him home for 4 wks.

and we are completel y independant now...I have officially become a wahm because I have to do all the paper work..I have no idea how to do this..fit this in but if we are doing well financially I have no qualms about hiring a cleaning lady once a week..I prefer that to hiring day care for the kids.

Having lots of fun choosing paint colours for the new house! Any recommendations on what to paint a family room?

must run

cheers
Carolyn
#250 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 01:00 PM

Hi mamas!

Akamommy, I'm actually in southern Indiana. There *are* a few things I like about being here - namely our house and property. Dh works in Louisville, but we ended up here because we fell in love with the house. It's a rustic-style A-frame, the kind that we've always wanted. But there's not really a sense of community, and I miss that. The town we lived in before was always having street parties, etc. and it was a lot of fun. But - I did locate a playgroup 30 minutes away (ugh!) that I'm going to this Friday. They play once per week and take a field trip on another day. I'm praying I'll meet some nice mamas there.

JillyD, so nice to see you! I've been wondering how you and Rowan are doing.

bailey, the property is just gorgeous. Congrats!!

EVC, yay on summer vacation! I was in school just 2 years ago, and boy do I remember that rush that comes with knowing that you're done for awhile!

freestyler, I read your post in personal growth. : What asshats. I definately agree with the other posters about writing a letter and continuing to attend there. As you said yourself, your kids love it, and if other people have a problem than they can just get their jollies gossiping like idiots. It definately sounds to me like an attack on your lifestyle, not anything you've done wrong.

We had a really great weekend! The big kids were with their daddy, so dh and I took Sam and stayed the weekend at a state park. We got to do a lot of hiking and just relaxing. It was sooo nice to get away and not "have" to do anything. Sam did really well being away from home, even better than what I expected. Also, he seems to have magically gotten over screaming in the car when's he tired...whew! We are going on a vacation to Virginia in June and I was starting to worry about how he'd do, so now I can relax and really look forward to it.

allgirls, it depends on your furniture, but we had our old living room painted a light brown (think coffee with cream) and it was beautiful. We got SO many compliments on it, and friends of ours liked it so much they painted their livingroom the same color.

Hoping to get some flowers planted today if Sam cooperates. We've started to pick the first strawberries from our patch and our veggie garden is finally getting tilled up this week so I can plant it. Yay!

A happy woman
#251 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 01:03 PM

Glad the trip went smoothly Rylee

Freestyler - it sucks that they were talking about you, sounds like something high schoolers would do. If they're that immature, they're not worth your time.

Congrats EVC on finishing the paper!

We went up to our property again yesterday, it was cold and raining but we think we figured out where we want our house and barn. This is definatly the fun part, designing and figuring out where to put the house, the building part is completely overwhelming. We're probably going to start clearing the house site this week or next. Our driveway can go in in a few weeks if it ever stops raining. It's so intimidating that we're building a whole house, foundation to roof completly by ourselves. I guess once we get going though it'll be easier.

I've decided we have WAY too much stuff! It's impossible to keep the house clean since we just have junk everywhere and no where to put it. The kitchen is the worst since we have almost no storage. Can anyone tell me why there are only 2 adults in our house yet we have probably 50 plates? We had a full set and my mom gave me a set for my birthday so now we just have so many and instead of cleaning the ones we use, I just go get another clean one and they build up. I think I want to get rid of all of our first set minus 2 plates, 2 bowls, and 2 cups and putting the other set away to use if we have company. That way we're forced to wash the dishes every time we use them so they can't build up. Ugh, I'm going to put Caia in the Ergo and do a deep clean/toss crap of the house. It really needs it. Hope everyone has a great day!
#252 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 01:36 PM

It's great to have everyone back!! Thank you for all of your support mammas, it is so helpful!! I am still incredibly upset about what happened. I've wasted a lot of what would otherwise be productive time, just stewing about it. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Bailey---About de-cluttering, have you ever read any of the books on the subject by Don Aslett? There's "Clutter's Last Stand," "Lose 200 LBs in one weekend", and a few others. I HIGHLY recommend the second book, as well as the first. They are superb motivators for de-cluttering and give you a great way to go about it. I have always been very anti-clutter, but whenever I start to slip, I pull Aslett's book off the shelf and re-read it! It's very liberating. I recommend them to everyone!

Ryleeee--Glad you survived the trip!! Good to hear from you again.

Allgirls--I like your approach about going back and letting them know what they did was unacceptable. It IS unacceptable! Bunch of gossiping jerks. I agree, I vented to the wrong people if I was ever having a hard day (and who doesn't? but it doesn't mean I don't love what I do!), and they turned around and trampled all over my boundaries. From now on, my boundaries will be extremely thick and high, like the Great Wall of China! Trusting people is not very easy when you've learned crappy boundaries from your parents---either you don't trust the people you should and you trust the people you shouldn't, or you don't tell the right people things and you tell the wrong people things.....but in this case, I was wrong to think I could be friends with these women, who obviously just hate outsiders. UGH.

I do need to go now. There is my 3-yr-old waiting patiently for breakfast and the other two are tearing up the house. I had to confiscate the toys they bought this weekend at their swim meet, because the money my 8-yr-old used, she had taken from me without asking. which is WRONG! You do NOT take other people's money without asking. So now they're all mad and pissed off at me. Hmmm. Wonder what they're plotting against me. Taking $10 from Mom and spending it, and lying about it, is so NOT OK.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
#253 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 02:10 PM

Yep stealing is wrong. My dd lifted a box of smarties from the local pie shop owned by some lovely mennonite people. They caught her and called me. They were real nice about it but I felt so bad. Then I talked to her and a couple days later she went and earned some money walking dogs and bought them the smarties back and of her own accord went and apologized. She has been great friends with them since and frequently spends Saturday nights with them and goes to there church. She has to wear their dresses...I have great pics of her with her hair up and in full mennonite. The mom says she is a great kid, good morals etc. now.

But it starts at home. Of course they can't benefit from the proceeds of their crime. I don't know but I wouldn't go one further and have them donate the toys to a Goodwill Center or a Shelter...just have them make a good deed come out of a bad deed.

Freestyler...I don't think it's that they "hate" outsiders so much as they have very narrow viewpoints and experiences and yours is beyond their scope. I am sure many of them have all sorts of luxuries and people to help etc. and they think there is no way to be happily raising children without all those "things"

My family is very blessed financially. Not rich but we can afford all the extras...but we are very very mindful with what we do buy. I am moving to a very very very "nice" neighborhood because we need a big house and the big houses are located there. I am a little concerned that we will be the outsiders some days...but then again...I usually find a way to make sure that my point of view comes across.

This sort of leads to a dilemma I have.

DH wants to get the kids one of those motorized cars...I think it's better to have bikes and tricycles only. We are not arguing about itut I dont like the idea.

any comments?
#254 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 PM

hey, freestyler, i just wanted to let you know that i went over to visit your thread in personal growth. so sorry you're going through that!

allgirls...as for the motorized stuff that your dh wants to get, what are they exactly? are they meant to go pretty fast? i'd be most concerned about the safety issue.

ryleeee...hoping for some good zzzzzzz's for you and haye!

kaia just had her first trial of solids today, my intuition was that she wasn't ready but i wanted to see what she would do with some banana. i first gave her a 'momsicle' (frozen bm) in one of those mesh feeders, and she loooooooved it. i then cut up some tiny pieces of banana and put them in front of her, she mashed them up and had a great time doing it but it all ended up smeared on the table and on her hands. i then held a larger chunk up for her to lick and she didn't not like it, but it didn't seem as if she was all that interested. she sucked on it for a few moments but that's it. so we'll put the thought of solids aside for a few weeks and try again, perhaps when we return from our 2 big trips. in any case, i went to right start yesterday and bought the baby safe mesh feeder, a really cute bib by crocodile creek and a cool thing by combi called 'mommy's food processor'. it's a little carrying case with a spoon with a flat surface for mashing and a set of tongs for cutting food. in general, we're really going to stick with table food for kaia so this will come in handy when we're out and about.

speaking of our trips, we are going to the east coast for a big friend/family tour for 10 days, and then i've got 2 days to recover/do laundry/re-pack and then kaia and i are flying to japan all by ourselves! we'll be there for a week, and i'm so very excited to be introducing my precious little one to my grandparents. they raised me until i was 3 and they utterly spoiled me . my parents were so generous to pay for our tickets, they will be there as well as my aunt and cousins from hawaii, so it is kind of a mini family reunion. dh really wants to go too, he's never been to the far east but he must return to work, but we're hoping to go again as a family next year.
#255 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 06:48 PM

It's not very fast...of course she couldn't use it unattended by one of us...we can walk along side it but my problem is with it not requiring any effort physically. Kids need to move and it's such a passive thing. Of course I could just only let it get used when DH is home but then that's a terrible waste of $ and just another electric doo dad to wind up in the landfill eventually.

But he's a car guy and it appeals to him and it's something that he wants to do with the kids...he's so great and he plays with the dolls and I kind of feel bad he has to always play girl things that maybe I should just tell him to get the car for the girls.

My girls so far are such girly girls and Sophia wanting this car has really tickled his fancy...

still..it's such a icky toy to me somehow.

Of course if he goes and gets it I won't say a word...it's entirely up to him...he's the best daddy in the world so who am I to interfere in his decisions really. I mean it's not that it's something so bad for them.

I think I will just sit back and keep my mouth shut on this one. If he wants to get her one then fine but I won't like it.

I absolutely draw the line at a pink Barbie car though

Here's the one he wants to get them
http://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...roductId=69661
#256 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 08:34 PM

Woah, that's a lot of traveling in such a short time kidspiration! That's so cool though that you're going to Japan.

Allgirls - why doesn't he build a soap box car powered by bike gears/pedals? It's something the girls could do with him that's "guy stuff" but will still involve some physical effort to use. They've got the rest of their lives for driving. I loved "helping" my dad rebuild his classic cars when I was really little.

Freestyler - yeah, I think I need to check out those books I did a load of dishes, vaccumed, picked up some junk and got so overwhelmed I quit! Dh is a horrible packrat though, he freaks out when I clean because he's afraid I'm going to throw away something "important". (he will literally go through the trash bag to make sure I didn't throw away anything of his) But then of course he complains that our house is messy
#257 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 10:06 PM
EVC

JAPAN!!!!!! I just told dh about your trip and he is SOOOO jealous! He is obsessed with Japan and has dreamed of visiting there his whole life. I promised we would go someday I hope there will be pictures

#258 of 334 Old 05-22-2006, 11:49 PM

Anna...The building a car idea is nice but my DH just wouldn't have time to do it. He's a long haul truck driver and time is just too valuable when he's home. But when he's home he's helping me around the house, catching up on other things and fixing the truck, trailer, paying bills etc.

Japan is so cool...my cousin is married to a Japanese woman and I wish I could spend some time with her to learn of her culture first hand

They are going soon to visit.

Cheers
Carolyn
#259 of 334 Old 05-23-2006, 09:24 AM

Good morning!

Well it's exciting here...baby is CRAWLING!!!

She's not real good at it yet but her army crawl has suddenly been converted to a true crawl...she will get up, crawl a few paces then get back down..guess she isn't quite strong enough to crawl all the time yet but she definitely is crawling!

It's a little bittersweet...she's my last little baby. But she's so darn proud of herself.

She is such a happy, easy going baby...I thought she'd be later crawling but she's my earliest crawler...she will be 7 mos on the 26th.

oh..she's calling to me now.

cheers
Carolyn
#260 of 334 Old 05-23-2006, 11:07 AM

Crawling! Whoo hoo! We're still nowhere near it, here.

I haven't changed more than 2 poopy diapers in a week - and Aidan is still a several times a day baby! I started doing a little EC, and I swear he's holding it for the potty now. I always though EC was a little kooky, but I'm amazed at how it's working. On days that we're home, we're only using two or three diapers for the whole day. I thought pees would be easier, but he poops as soon as I set him on the potty. Very weird, but cool
#261 of 334 Old 05-23-2006, 12:06 PM
EVC

It's so nice to see everyone back here

#262 of 334 Old 05-23-2006, 01:12 PM

Allgirls---The car thing sort of rubs me the wrong way for the same reasons you described. My thought is that passive toys usually have a short life span, because they're not very interesting or challenging, so this toy would have a shorter life span than, say, a pedal car. I think a couple of pedal cars might be better, they'd last longer, get used more, require effort (not passive), and they're still a guy thing. They would not require all the overhead of charging, fixing, etc. If they got rained on they'd still work! I think those motorized cars are yucky. My son would sell his soul for one, but I'm like, NO way. Plus, I really question their safety.

Japan, wow, that's awesome Kidspiration. I'm jealous too!! We're thinking of spending some time in Santa Barbara this summer, it's closer than Japan! Please post pictures if you like to do that sort of thing. It's awesome you're a strong woman and will travel alone with your baby. You'd be surprised how many women I've met here who say they'd never go anywhere without a man to protect them! :Puke. Have a wonderful trip and cram in some serious fun!!

Allgirls--Crawling, cool! That's a blast. OUCH!! Hillary just bit me again. SHe has a razor-sharp tooth on the bottom, and since her mouth is bothering her with other teeth coming in, she'll frequently bite the nipple. Yesterday she almost drew blood. OUCH! She's also crawling, and it's so adorable.

Eclipse---Let us know how the EC works out. Maybe that's something we can do around here. I'm sick of washing diapers sometimes. Today I'm expecting a huge blowout, because Hillary hasn't pooped in two days. I know it's all in there waiting for her to be in her car seat and me driving on a jammed freeway.....sorry TMI, but that's my life!! God, it really does get easier in some ways when they're older, doesn't it?

Bailey---Hmmmm, your DH goes through the bags, huh? That's worse than annoying, it's almost pathological! Of course, some people would accuse me of being pathological in my need to throw away stuff. Well, just toss stuff when he isn't home and take the bags to a dumpster or the dump or even make arrangements with a helpful girlfriend to let you toss stuff in THEIR trash cans one week. In other words, trade trash with her for a week! There's no lengths I wouldn't go to to get rid of clutter. Be creative. Or throw a bunch or stinky kitchen trash (or worse ) into the top of the trash can; this will deter even the most determined scrounger. Or burn it! You got a woodstove? I generally do the tossing when no one is home. If you're careful, no one notices their stuff is missing and won't think to check the trash. You could also HIDE the trash bags outside somewhere or someplace where DH never goes (laundry room? ), and then on trash day, sneak out and toss 'em quick when you see the truck coming! or just wait til he's outta town for a couple of days and then go on a binge of the house! Heck, there's tons of creative ideas! PM me for more!

Well, have a wonderful day everyone. Gotta go feed the troops and get them to their park day. Laid out my finished quilt blocks this morning---OMG this quilt is gonna be stunning. It's my first real, bed-sized quilt. MMMmmmmmm. I can't believe I'm making a real quilt. I want to like enter it in a show or something!
#263 of 334 Old 05-23-2006, 02:21 PM

hmm maybe the kitchen trash on top idea might work. He's always home though cause he works at home and we don't have trash pick up, we have to take it to the dump, and of course the dump isn't open on the one day he works outside of the home. Maybe I can get a friend to report some "fire clouds" he has to respond to (Last week, someone reported a "fire".....it was clouds rising up from the mountian)

Ok I had my first bad mommy baby fall. My dogs got into a nasty fight so I was screaming at them to break them up, which of course made Caia cry. I put her in her swing so I could lock the attacker in her cage which was only 3 feet from the swing. I didn't buckle her in because I was too involved in trying to not have my dog torn to peices. I turned around right after locking up the dog just in time to see Caia reach for a toy on the ground then flop out of the swing. She cried for about 1/2 a second and is perfectly fine, but man I feel bad that I put my dog over my child. Of course I didn't do it intentionally though. I think we may have to get rid of one of the dogs (this isn't the first fight) but I don't know which. Both are great with people and Caia of course, but one of them is really agressive to the other. Of course dh loves the agressive one and I love the sweet one so it's going to be a tough call to see who goes.
#264 of 334 Old 05-23-2006, 02:38 PM

Hmmmm, I'd compromise and get rid of BOTH of them! (Both dogs I mean!) Arrgh, that is a tough one. Seriously though, I'd get rid of both. You know what they say, it takes two to tango. And plus, it would make your life that much easier. Having had dogs all the time until about age 25, I can definitely appreciate the more simple life without dogs.

About getting rid of junk: There are also junk pick-up services. 1-800-got-junk is one number I've seen a lot. Look under rubbish hauling in your phone book too. You can schedule a big HAUL for when DH will be gone! You CAN do this!
#265 of 334 Old 05-23-2006, 03:47 PM

Allgirls, congrats to your new crawler! All of your babes are leaving poor Sam far behind - he still can't sit up.

bailey, I hear ya about wanting to declutter. I did a really thorough job in the last trimester of pregnancy, but junk has piled up again. My dh used to be a huge packrat, but he's gotten much better. We're picking one room per week to work on to make it seem less daunting. Of course, our basement is FULL of garage sale stuff now, but that will be gone hopefully in July. I agree with freestyler, though - find a way to toss that crap when your dh isn't home. My confession - sometimes when I get fed up with my dh's receipts, etc. that he never files I round it all up and pile it on his pillow. He gets the point. I'm glad Caia is ok from her little spill.

kidspiration, your trips sound great. I hope you have a wonderful time!

freestyler, your quilt-in-process sounds lovely. A friend taught me how to hand quilt this summer, but since Sam I haven't gotten the chance to try it out again. I need to get my rear moving on a crocheted care bear that was for dd's birthday - in March. I just have the hearts to put on the belly left, but they're a pain.

Tonight the kids and I are going to get seeds for the garden. I'm so excited! It got tilled this morning so it's all ready to go. Sam sat outside last night in his new exersaucer while I picked strawberries and planted a few impatiens.

Speaking of exersaucers....As for me and my family, we will praise the Exersaucer We just bought one for the upstairs because Sam was no longer content to sit in the bouncy while I bathed. Oh happy day! I got to have a nice bath and even put on a bit of make-up while he played. I don't feel too guilty about another piece of equipment since besides about 15 minutes per day in the jumperoo he's in arms or rolling on the floor.

A happy woman
#266 of 334 Old 05-23-2006, 04:05 PM

Nah I can't get rid of both of them. I strong believe in having animals for my kids to grow up with, and I need animals around for my sanity, they are my therapy. In my former life I was a horse trainer/ riding instructor and I've never lived a day in my life without animals of some sort.
#267 of 334 Old 05-23-2006, 06:00 PM

haye's teeth still aren't out and he is getting another stomach virus or something. please tell me it could just be teething! since last night at around 11 he has pooped 5 times, two big ones. he's coughing a LOT, and it's like a wet sounding cough. oh man. D= my poor baby. and we have to travel tomorrow. ugh.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#268 of 334 Old 05-23-2006, 06:39 PM

It seems I only get on here once every couple of days these days (at least with enough time to post).

allgirls - congrats on the new house! No advice on colours, but personally I love deep, rich earthy tones like the coffee cream that was mentioned or even darker, but it all depends on your furniture of course.

ryleee - I'm glad your trip went well. We are driving to Vancouver Island in July, and I'm a bit nervous about how it will go, but mostly because of Emma, not Annika. She's pretty easy going in the car these days as long as she gets breaks once in a while, and we are already planning on doing the trip in two days anyway. We are going to buy a portable DVD player for Emma, otherwise she will be asking if we are there yet only 5 minutes after we leave!!

Annika is pretty much crawling now. Mostly an army crawl/inch worm thing, but she gets up on her hands and knees and goes a few "steps" at a time. She got half way across the family room earlier today in only a couple of minutes, so it's time to put the gate on the stairs!

She has also taken really well to solids in the last week. She wants all food that she sees!!! Other than the occassional pureed food, we are mostly doing table/finger foods since that's what she wants. We were away this weekend, and while we were eating lunch on Saturday she was stealing fries off my plate and shoving them in her mouth! Not the best food to have, so the next morning at breakfast, I distracted her from my food with some Cheerios they had at the buffet table. That worked. I was at Costco today and bought some sweet potato fries to make for her, I figure they will be better for her since they are baked and not fried and they won't be covered in salt.

I discovered a new use for the Ergo today while I was in Costco. Emma wanted Annika to sit next to her in the cart (two seats), and Annika was arching her back from inside the Ergo (on my front) trying to see around, so I put her there and the folded up the Ergo and wrapped it around her and the back of the cart seat to keep her upright and from being able to reach down and chew on the handle. It worked great!!
#269 of 334 Old 05-24-2006, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I just caught up on reading posts.

Things are going well here for the most part, I have just been tired and worn out. My back has been sore for a week, but tomorrow I get to go to the chiropractor.

Ryleee, sorry to hear Haye is under the weather. Hope the teeth pop through quick, and if he does have another virus to you both and hope he gets over it quickly.

Allgirls, that's cool on the crawling I would use a lot of color....my friend's living room and dining area are painted the coolest mix of colors, like reds, greens and yellows. Not bright primaries but not too dark. Hard to explain, hmm. Just find colors you like!

Eclipse...EC is cool isn't it? We've been so part time since the kids got sick. I potty Piper maybe 3 or 4 times per day, and she usually goes 2 or 3 times. Now that she's 8 months old (in 6 days) I think i need to get better about putting her on potty even more again, before she really learns so go in diapers too much. She wakes up dry a lot so that is good, she hasn't really forgotten since we've been doing it off and on since she was born.

Decluttering...I've been doing a little bit each day and slowly but surely my house is looking neater and tidier . It's a never ending story though.

Piper sat herself up on her own for the first time yesterday, and stayed up for about a minute before she got down and crawled more. She is all about crawling and exploring, and she especially loves to go to where her brother is and play with him. I'm watchful because he does have some toys with smaller parts, and I'm also trying to teach Jakob to take away too small objects if she does find them. She is finally starting to get interested in food. She had homemade kefir this week, she makes a sour face but eats it. And today I pureed sweet potato with a good amount of butter and coconut oil and she loved it. Actually Jakob and I liked it too

Man, poor Piper fell off my 3 yr old's bed. It's a futon, not too high off the ground. But I felt so bad because it was completely my fault. I brought her in Jakob's room so I could clean his room, and I had her on the bed with a few toys. I didn't want her on the floor because he has lots of smaller object kind of toys. I walked 3 feet from Jakob's doorway to the doorway of my room to grab one thing, and I heard "THud". Ran back and she was face down on the floor I think she actually tried to crawl off onto the floor to get to Jakob's toys, she loves being in his room. She cried poor thing, but was fine after a few minutes of cuddling and nursing.

Nite ladies!

#270 of 334 Old 05-24-2006, 10:06 AM

Ryleee~hope Haye is feeling better...How's your visit going?

I am a neutral colour girls and I love beiges and browns, muted greens...I have a colour called "pumkin butter" picked out for my bedroom and the bathroom and this bedding for our bedroom
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158422414

DH was in the house yesterday..a few concerns...it was the home inspection..but he says it's a great, solid house...foundation is great..needs odds and ends but apparantly for that neighborhood it's a steal. So if we fix it up, update it it will be worth a lot more than it is now simply because of the neighbourhood. I am not sure I am supposed to be living in a 'la de da' neighborhood though...hehe...I am sure I will be the only hippie on the street.

It feels right though.

I will post pics when I get a chance.

One good thing about it is we get to buy a new fridge...we are getting a really nice, high efficiency stainless steel refrigerator. I can't wait. I hate the refrigerator we have now.

We bought this house 4 years ago and on the sale we made $45,000 clearing around 40 after realty and legal fees, take off another couple thousand for moving and we are still doing ok. The house we are buying is $2000.00 less than this one was when we bought it and it's twice the size.

So we will have some $$ to pay off some debt we have racked up to set up the business. DH is getting rid of the BIG truck and we are getting an older one that will have really low payments so financially this looks like a really great move for us. We will be pretty much debt free except for the mortgage. So if we can stay on our budget and hubby makes the same as he made before(hopefully he will make more) we will be able to put money away for all the kids college and our retirement and live well. We are not extravagant people...by well we mean organic food and natural medicine. NOT a hummer~LOL

I will be spending a bit on making our home nice and I will also be hiring help to clean if things go well. Because I will be working at home for the business.

World Shakerz~don't beat yourself up..kids fall and they get over it while mama's never really do.

Emmasmommy...Vancouver sounds awesome! the inchworm, army crawl thing is what Martina was doing but now she is slowly graduating to regular crawl...won't be long!

Decluttering...my house is pretty good...since it's for sale but I do get stressed.

DOGS~ I love dogs, was really sad when we had to put ours down BUT I will never own another dog as long as I have little kids. If the two younger ones are very responsible as teens maybe I will get them another little fru fru fluffy thing like a maltese or something but not a big furry thing..I am allergic anyway.

But things will really have to change as Sophia is deathly afraid of dogs at this point.

Dogs need their own rooms when little kids are around....maybe you could crate the aggressive one at times.

must run

Cheers
Carolyn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page