---October 2005 Mamas, It's May!--- - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 334 Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good morning mamas, and happy May

How's everyone doing this morning? I just woke up half hour ago, I should really get some laundry started in a few minutes. We started back with 100% cloth and part time EC so that added a lot more laundry to our already fast growing piles of clothing and towels and blankets.

Haha, I keep looking over at Piper on the floor and laughing. Jakob put one of his hats on her...its this sporty snow hat I got him for play really (we don't exactly need a snow hat in Florida). She is wearing it happily, its so funny.

Piper is fairly mobile, just shy of crawling but doing all the other things..rolling, scootching, army crawling. And she slides off my lap to stand up! She still really needs lots of support for standing so I have to watch when she does that. She is also just starting to be able to sit up a minute or two on her own. I can't believe she is already 7 months old. Time is flying!

What are you babies playing with these days? Piper will grab at anything now, but when she has tummy time I've been giving her paper bags, magazines, paper, etc and she loves crinkling them up.

Piper is now saying "dada" and "mama" and some other consenant sounds "lala" "nana". Its funny, when we are somewhere and DH isnt there but someone says the word dad or daddy, she will start saying "dadadada".

Piper bit me while nursing the other day, ouch! Twice. But both times it hurt enough that I yelled out "Ouch". She pouted and cried a second when I did that, it surprised her. The second time I stopped nursing her for a few minutes. She hasn't done it since, I hope she doesn't do it again. She just has the one tooth on the bottom, still working on the second one.

Ryleee, how's Haye doing?

#2 of 334 Old 05-01-2006, 12:28 PM

I can't believe it's already May! Time is just going too fast.

Ryleee, I hope Haye is feeling better.

We've been having such wonderful weather the past week, that I've been trying to spend as much time as I can outside. Emma has SO much energy, that she drives me nuts if she doesn't get to run around outside, so I'm happy we can finally do it. I was kind of feeling a bit blah and in a rut lately too, so the nice weather and being outside has made me feel a lot better too. Yesterday was weird though. We went from 25C on Saturday to 3C and snow yesterday. And now it's warm again.

Annika sits on her own very well now (doesn't fall over at all unless she is reaching for a toy, then she will go onto her tummy), and is rolling, but doesn't do it quite as much as she did when she first started. She really wants to crawl or move around somehow, but just isn't there yet. Her absolute favourite thing to do now is to stand up holding onto her toy box so she can look at and pull out toys. I will sit on the couch, and she stands between my legs holding onto the box (really a Rubbermaid bin). The box comes up to her chest, so it's a good height for her to hold onto, and she can see inside, and get to the toys herself.

Annika loves playing with paper too, but I don't let her do it often since I found some in her diaper one day! Otherwise, she has one rattle that she really loves, but also likes her big sister's megablocks and little people toys. At my mom's house, her favourite thing is my mom's set of Tupperware measuring spoons.

I think Annika is getting a tooth. I can feel it under the gums, and she is waking up a lot more than usual during the night. And when she normally wakes up, she just nurses, and goes back to sleep, but now she has been fussy when she wakes up and it's harder to get her back to sleep. I should see if I can find some Hylands teething tablets around here. The little health food store in town might have them.
#3 of 334 Old 05-01-2006, 01:14 PM
EVC

Oh, I'm glad I saw this thread--it reminded that I need to pay the rent today

Not much new here--still no teeth, still not crawling, but, boy, can she roll! She rolled all the way across the room yesterday

Only nine days until my classes end! Yeah! Then I get to spoil dd with love all summer

As for playing, dd also LOVES tearing up paper. She also likes the jumperoo, splashing in the bath, and trying to grab the dog's tail.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#4 of 334 Old 05-01-2006, 02:05 PM

haye's new favourite thing to do is stand on the couch and lean over the top looking at our chinchilla. it's hilarious. he keeps trying to stick his fingers in her cage because he LOVES her. i'll have to upload the pictures today.

he's feeling so much better, he's finally back to peeing the same amount as usual and his poop is normal again. he hasn't thrown up in awhile either.

derek is very sick though, it's horrible. lucky for me (and them!) i avoided this flu.

today haye was laying in the middle of the floor while i was checking my email and he rolled into the tv stand and pulled the blowdryer off it and smacked himself in the head with it and started crying! it was horrible. i felt so bad. (the blowdryer is there to blow him off after bath time, he loves it)

anyways. we are going to go for a nap. happy may!

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#5 of 334 Old 05-01-2006, 02:31 PM

Glad Haye is all better!

Not much new here, either. Sam is beginning to sit for just a few seconds, but since he waves his arms like mad he immediately falls over. I can't believe some of our babies are standing...and wasn't it Ari who was found in his crib last month standing up? Sam puts weight on his legs now but I can't imagine he'd be able to hold himself up on anything. Oh well, more time to baby-proof.

Sam's favorite toys seems to be a round wooden teether and a cloth goblin. I can't let him have paper because he tries to eat it right away. Oh, and he likes books too - both for chewing and for looking.

A happy woman
#6 of 334 Old 05-01-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Oh good, glad Haye is feeling better. Hope your DH feels better soon too.

EVC, your post reminded me about paying rent today. Then when I was writing the check I had to check the calendar on my computer to see what day it was

#7 of 334 Old 05-01-2006, 03:56 PM

oh, i forgot to add about the hyland's teething tablets that i ordered them online before checking our local grocery store (duh) and they were there! in the natural food aisle. so check out a grocery store or two if you can, they also had colic tablets too.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#8 of 334 Old 05-01-2006, 03:56 PM
EVC

Quote:
Then when I was writing the check I had to check the calendar on my computer to see what day it was
LOL, I've had those days

#9 of 334 Old 05-01-2006, 05:17 PM

Happy May day everyone! It's been sooo beautiful these past few weeks, I love new england!

Caia's been so accident prone over here lately. First was the dog incident, then the next day she stuck her hand into my really hot food and burned herself pretty bad, then this morning I had a bad mommy moment and smacked her head getting her out of the carseat. Poor thing was sleeping, what a rude wake up call! Then later today the dog (same one that hurt her last time) scratched her leg. (this dog isn't mean, just doesn't know she hurts people when she puts her paws on them) I think I'm going to wrap her in bubble wrap til she turns 18, she may survive her childhood, but I sure as heck won't! My mom jokes and points out individual grey hairs saying "this one is from the time you..." I'm probably going to be doing the same thing when she grows up. Although I guess you get used to it, by the time I was a teenger my mom had gotten so used to seeing me bruised and bloody when she picked me up at the barn, she stopped asking what happened .

I wish boarding kennels and such didn't require vax's. We're taking one of the dogs to a training class and needed to get her vaxed, she came home just now and she's really sick. Very listless, high fever, she wouldn't even get up for food, poor thing. I don't do vax's for Caia, why should I have to do them for my dog?
#10 of 334 Old 05-01-2006, 07:39 PM

Happy May!

Oh I have been so busy...we drove 2 hours looked at 5 houses, nothing works for us, came back and I went on line and found anther house that looks perfect so we may have to go back wednesday...

martina is sleeping outside...her best sleep is always in the travel system stroller...guess it wasn't a waste of MIL's $$ afterall.

She really loves being in the ERGO on my back now...she didn't at first.

must run!

Cheers
Carolyn
#11 of 334 Old 05-02-2006, 01:07 AM

Happy may! I cannot believe how much all the babes are doing! Kayleigh is only rolling and skootching. No sitting up or standing and no teeth. Though she had that fever of 104 for a few days.

We have been out of town staying at a girlfriends in the bay area, where im from. It was great. She has a 5 yo and a 2 yo so my 2.5 yo was in 7th heaven lol.

Been a long week. DH and i are splitting. Been keeping it under wraps til I really knew it was going to happen. Im so very sad for my daughters, but its healthier for them to not be around this. First Im doing a legal seperation. I have to get a job and childcare this week. So overwhelmed. Means ill be on even less then i am now and all hopes of ever keeping up with the rest of you are lost. lol

Allgirls, i hope you find the perfect house! Bailey, kisses for Caia's boo boos.So glad Ryleee have you heard about the teething gel? I got it but Kayleigh hates it!!! I think every day of mine is wheni forget what day it is.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#12 of 334 Old 05-02-2006, 01:35 AM

Ember has been a "spoiled" baby this week. She's getting really hard to put to sleep, even while nursing, and when she does go to sleep, she rarely stays that way...my nipple is her pacifier, argh, and it's REALLY hard to get away. Also, when she's completely happy, playing with toys on the floor or something, and see sees me walk to the kitchen (still within sight) she FREAKS out, throws herself on the floor, cries until i pick her up. And lots of times she cries when Daddy holds her, because he's not me. A big part is probably because she's sick. She's had a bit of a cold or allergies or something for about a week now; she keeps coughing so hard she makes herself puke. Not fun. But she doesn't cough at all most of the day (usually just at night, and a few random times throughout the day), so i haven't taken her to a doc or anything (they'll probably tell me "yes, she is coughing" lol). She's up every two hours at night, for about an hour each time. i need sleep. help me.
#13 of 334 Old 05-02-2006, 02:35 AM

Aka ~ I'm sorry to hear about you and your husband. I hope everything works out for the best for you and your girls. Good luck on the job search.

We went to homeschool day at Sea World today. I only had to pay for Liam and I, and it was only $5.40 each! They have one day a month where they let homeschoolers (which I technically am not, but oh well ) go at the school field trip rate. The only problem was that Liam would not stay put and I spent the whole day chasing him. He's my high needs/spirted/pain in the butt kid and between him taking off every time I turned my head and him having about 20 meltdowns (about three because the penguin encounter was closed, the rest because I wouldn't buy him anything), it was pretty stressful. It doesn't help that he hasn't slept well - now that the chicken pox are gone, he's having an allergic reaction to something and has a rash on top of his pox scars and scabs, and hives, and it's keeping him up itching - poor guy . The baby had a ball though - he loved going through the shark encounter and was flirting with the manatees.
#14 of 334 Old 05-02-2006, 10:42 AM

Aka Mommy - I'm so sorry about you and your husband, I hope everything works out for the better.

Ryvrwillow - I hear ya about the attached baby, Caia's the same way, I can only get her to sleep on her own once every few days. Thankfully though she is usually ok with daddy because he has games to distract her. I think it's just that they're old enough to know that mommy can leave, but too young to know that mommy will be back.

I think I'm going to be getting a job as a nanny starting in July. They're 2 doctors (go figure, the chick that hates dr's working for 2 of them) with a 4 mo old dd, she will be 6 mo at the time I'd start. They are fine with me bringing Caia so it should work out pretty well. (and they didn't gasp in horror when I said that I breastfeed so I need her with me )
#15 of 334 Old 05-02-2006, 12:00 PM

awww...i'm so sorry to hear about you and your husband. it's best to follow your heart though, and protect your little ones, even if it is "just" from words. i'm thinking of you today.

#16 of 334 Old 05-02-2006, 01:10 PM
EVC

Aka mommy Where in the Bay Area were you? Let me know next time you come this way, and we'll do coffee

eclipse--that Sea World trip sounds exhausting! I love manatees, though

Congrats on the nanny job Bailey

Ryvrewillow, dd has been very fussy the last few days, too This too shall pass......

OOOPPPSSS! I smell a poopy diaper.......

#17 of 334 Old 05-02-2006, 01:25 PM

EVC- me too! I'm writing the check out right now!

akamommy - so sorry to hear about your split. Good luck with the job & childcare

ryvre - IKWYM, Eloisa has been suuuuuuper attached this week. I can't put her down without her screaming (not crying, screaming). Also she doesn;t want ot be in the sling, she wants me to HOLD her. my arms are killing me. BUt I'm sure it'll pass.. just for now I have to survive in a unkept home with no sleep.

everyone-

Well ELosia still can't sit for more than 15 seconds.. but she's decided to completely give it up infavor of standing. If I'm not holding her then she is standing next to me at the chair, couch, or kitchen counter. The only thign is that if she gets excited or upset she throws her hands up. That means lettign go and falling backwards like a downed tree.
hahahha the floors are now covered in pillows, cushions and spare blankets.
#18 of 334 Old 05-02-2006, 02:21 PM

Aka mommy, I'm thinking of you. My first husband and I split up when dd was 9 months old and ds1 was 3. Even though it's sad for the kids, you're right, they need to be protected from a bad marriage - and sometimes parents are just happier (and better parents) living apart. I know that's how it was for me. Best of luck on your job/childcare search. I know you'll be busy but come back as often as you can and let us know how you and the kiddos are.

For those of you who are doing solids already - how often do you offer them?

Sam has been getting boo boos too. This morning he bonked his head quite hard twice - both times he was rolling over like a madman. Once on the wood at the bottom of the couch, and once on the jumperoo.

bailey, congrats on the new job.

allgirls, hope you find your dream house soon!

Taking the kids to a small circus tonight. Should be lots of fun.

A happy woman
#19 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 12:48 AM

Thank you so much for the support ladies. Im so very overwhelmed right about now. Been to 3 job interviews and they want to start me at crap wages. And childcare is going to cost anywhere from $1000-1600 for both girls. EEEK!!! So im thinking im going to sign up for the local state childcare program and see if i will be able to get the free childcare if I go to midwifery college. Worth a shot I figure DH, what do i call him now? Is refusing to move out and wants to be a child and involve courts and im trying so hard to stand up for myself but also make it easy on the girls. Hopefully he comes around.

EVC- I was actually in Concord. Its where I grew up and my best friend let me crash at her place for a few days to get away from here. I would love to meet up for coffee! Actually meet someone from MDC lol!

operamommy, you have no idea how nice it is to hear that someone else has been in my shoes. While it sucks that someone has, it makes me realize im not alone. We will see, today my mother (who is strict christian and believes divorce sends you to hell) told me all my marriage needs is Dr. Phils Family First book and me to go back to work part time. Enjoy the circus!

Bailey congrats on new job too! Um solids, i offer them maybe once every 3 days, im so bad. But she loves to suck on pizza crust Ok off to do more job searching online lol! Have a great week ladies!

#20 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 PM
EVC

We haven't even started solids yet. DD seems interested, but when I let her lick some banana off my finger, she spit it back out. So I'm going to give it a few more weeks.

AKA mommy, good luck to you Be strong. And do let me know when you're coming back this way

#21 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 PM

We still aren't doing solids either. Last week he slobbered on a piece of my steamed zucchini, and this morning he licked a piece of my apple, but I don't think that really counts. He had water for the first time today - he decided Rhiannon's sippy cup was loads of fun. He didn't drink much - mostly he just poured water all over himself.
#22 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 02:42 PM

AKA Mommy--that blows to have to go through that! Definitely divorce does not send you to hell. Good grief. Wasting your life being unhappy...THAT sends you to hell! that IS hell!!

Eclipse--no solids here yet either. Hillary also slobbers on a piece of apple once in a while, but that doesn't count either!

Hi everyone, gotta run! the kids are off ice skating so I got three hours to do stuff that I need to do. Can't write now, but hugs everyone!
#23 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 03:19 PM

we aren't doing solids yet either, although i'm pretty sure haye can drink out of a cup, he knows how to hold it and to tip it up and open his mouth...he's very observant! he's grabbed my cups before and almost got a drink, lucky i have speed lightning fingers!

i gave him a sip of water the other day, but he wasn't overly impressed. he likes his bath water a lot though. hahahaha.
and he has licked part of a banana and a mango, but hasn't eaten anything yet.
i said we'd hold off until he was 7 months old but he's now almost 7.5 months old and still nothing, we'll see. i might buy some sweet potatoes at the store today and give him a little in the next couple days.

#24 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 03:45 PM

Ryleeee---You couldn't pay me to drink bath water that MY kids been in! I think I'd have to take antibiotics if I did! Hillary isn't impressed with water or food wither. She likes to grab everything off my plate and stuff it in her mouth, but it comes right back out again. I guess when it stays put, she's ready for solids.

I'm thinking about working a few hours a week at the Aquatics Center where we swim, if they need me, to try to help with the ever-increasing costs of all of us being in the pool every afternoon every day. WOW, a job, I can't even imagine. Even $50 a week would be so much help, especially with the 3-yr-old taking lessons now which adds $150 a month (ouch!). I don't know WHEN in the world I'd work, but I feel the need to, both financially and otherwise. Just to do something different.

Gotta run and iron shirts and pay bills and stuff. What a thrill.

Would it be a crime to take my kids out of piano lessons so we're not so stressed out financially and time-wise? My son especially loves it and is truly gifted at it, but god, the $$$ and the time....I dunno, it's a hard decision. Advice, anyone? Allgirls, I've been thinking about what you said about taking all the kids out of activities for a year. (Except swimming---we live to swim!! ) Everything else quickly becomes just too too much. Roller skating, ballet, piano, etc etc etc. I'd rather just do math & science and the beach in the mornings, and swim every afternoon. It would be simpler. It's so hard, you want your kids to have every "advantage" and pursue their talents and things they love, and yet, it can become so overwhelming, especially with four kids 8 and under. Sometimes i think we're crazy, doing even half of the stuff we do.
#25 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 03:59 PM

freestyler - I wondered if your user name had something to do with swimming. I'm guessing since you're a family of swimmers it does. I am a former swimmer and lifeguard. I don't swim anymore since there isn't anything for adults where we live and I get bored when I swim on my own. I saw a poster at our pool asking if people were interested in starting a club or a training program, but I didn't have a pen to write the email address on, but if something starts up, I'm there!! I'm putting Emma in lessons this summer though, and maybe a parent/tot class for me and Annika, since she loves the water too. We go swimming every Friday.

We've been trying solids off and on for a few weeks. This week she decided that she likes it, so is eating them daily. She likes to feed herself, so I put food on the spoon, and then give it to her to lick off. Messy, but fun!!!
#26 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Aka mommy, what a tough thing to go through. Stay strong and vent whenever you need to. I hope you get the free child care that you need!

Yeah, solids...we are very lax about it because she just doesn't seem all that ready. She tastes things. She actually swallowed a little banana yesterday, but she still gags a lot so I don't try to give her stuff every day. At the rate we're going she probably won't be actually eating solid stuff until she's 9 months or so.

Freestyler, that's a tough call on getting rid of the piano lessons, etc. I keep telling Jamie I'd love to make a good effort to support our kids talents/interests. I guess because I missed out on those things growing up. But it was because my single parent mom couldn't afford it. You can only do what you are able. I'd like to start my 3 yr old on some extracurricular stuff but we are just trying to make ends meet.

#27 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 04:11 PM

maybe your kids could each have one extra activity instead of everyone swimming or everyone doing piano (not sure of your situation). i'd let them pick the one they want and commit to it for a year if they can, so you aren't stuck halfway through the year with a bunch of hockey gear etc.

#28 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 05:45 PM

Yeah, I was going to say what Rylee said. If you have all of them in piano and everything else, it might help if they eah pick the one thing they want to do. Also if you have a piano at home there's nothing stopping them from teaching themselves. That's how I always learned best. You could check freecycle or craigs list for a cheap/free one.
#29 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 07:17 PM

Gads, we have TWO pianos at home--a wonderful Steinway and a nice Yamaha. There are two of the important things: two king-size beds (pushed together), two pianos, two quilting machines, two REFRIGERATORS and two FREEZERS. Eat, sleep, play piano, swim, sew, eat, eat, eat....that's life here! But yes, I think your advice is all good, thanks. Both older kids love piano, but I think the oldest might choose quilting over piano if she had to make a choice.

Hey, very cool development here: Our oldest is making all the meals, especially in the morning. She makes a huge and very yummy brunch every day now!! She even makes the coffee!!!! I'm so happy!!! She loves it, and I love it too!!! Today we had broiled steaks, roasted potatoes, beets, sauteed zucchini, peppermint tea, Peet's coffee, and turkey. It was yuuummmmyyyyy!
#30 of 334 Old 05-03-2006, 10:02 PM

Do you play the piano? Maybe you could teach them yourself? If you lived closer I could teach em! Releaved Kayleigh isnt the only one whos not so keen on the baby food. Little stinker will mouth anything else i give to her. She sucked water out of a straw a few times now, so its time to start the sippy straw cup i think!

I have a job interview on friday. Im crossing my fingers for it. Its right up the street from where i live and the pay would be between $15-20 an hour so that will make me be able to afford childcare easier. For all you working moms how did you live with the guilt over daycare???

Hope you all have a good night!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page