Teaching 10 month old to stop pulling hair??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-09-2006, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nearly 10 month old DD has gotten in the habit of pulling my hair. And she's doing it on purpose, b/c she smiles when she does it.
Like in the mornings, that's how she wakes me up. She'll crawl over to me and grab a big handful of my hair and pull it.
When I say NO...she just smiles. It's like she thinks it's a game or something. She'll do it over and over.
And I've tried saying NO very firm and moving her and giving her something else, etc....it works for the moment, but as soon as she's within arms reach of my hair, she's back at it pulling it and smiling about it.

So...how do I teach her not to do this? Obviously "No" isn't working:
#2 of 4 Old 05-09-2006, 12:59 PM

Sorry, I know its not really funny. Although my ds finds it very funny too. Ds is 9 1/2 mo and I'm always yelling out OUCH!! He pulls my hair and now that he's pulling up on things he pinches when he pulls. The more serious sounding dh and I get when we say NO, the more ds smiles and laughs. I just don't think they really get it at this age. Dh will stop doing things when we say no, but then goes back to doing them. I think they just see it as a game and don't really understand. I usually tell him that what he's doing "hurts mama". I have to braid my hair to keep ds and dh off of it at night. or from getting caught under my arms at night.
#3 of 4 Old 05-09-2006, 01:07 PM

I think keeping your reaction to a minimum is important. A simple, rather quiet, "No that hurts." and perhaps setting her down immediately. Also, keeping your hair up and out of the way. Mostly she is doing it for reaction I am sure.

You can also try to substitute a different game. Like:

DD pulls hair.
You say, "No that hurts. Pull my finger."
LEt her yank your finger or shirt or something else and give her a fun, gratifying, exxagerated response, "Oh no! Baby has my finger..."

Give her another way to get the laugh/attention/response.

If everything else fails the one clear truth I've gotten from 7 years of parenting is: whatever you are either delighting in or distressed from today will be totally different 2 weeks from now. Change is the only constant...

In 2 weeks it will be a different issue entirely!
#4 of 4 Old 05-09-2006, 01:23 PM

I wish I had some great advice for you. I have a hair pulling 3 year old and 8 1/2 month old. Ds1 has loved my hair from the beginning and when he weaned at 26 months, he got back to playing with my hair for comfort/to fall asleep. I wear my hair up almost all the time, but when ds2 can reach it, he really grabs on.

One thing I'm going to try, though. I just ordered a matching nursing necklace and toddler necklace for a mother's day gift for myself. Perhaps if they like the necklaces, they'll lay off the hair.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page