Infant seasonal allergies--any advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2006, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, does anyone know anything about seasonal allergies in infants? My daughter's 5 weeks old and over the past two days she's had a stuffy (not runny) nose and sneezes when I open our windows. Our house is surrounded by trees as we live right next to a protected green zone (which I love) so I'm wondering if she might have allergies. I tried looking up info on the web but my results always come back as food allergies.

She doesn't sound congested in her chest when she breathes just in her nose. She sounds like a pig snorting at times trying to suck air in through her nose. At these times I look and can't even see anything in her nose to suck out. So I think it's back in her nasal cavity. I'm letting her cry a bit more than normal to get the snot running a bit so I can at least suck something out give her some relief. This seems to work but after a while, she's snorting again.

During the day, I'm ok watching her but I'm nervous about going to bed at night if she's this congested. I may just end up taking her to the doctor to see about giving her some type of medicine but I thought I'd come here first to see if any of you have experience with this. I really don't want to give her medicine since she's so tiny but I'm even more nervous about going to sleep tonight if she can't breather properly.

We don't have animals, nobody smokes, don't have central air in our home, and don't have carpets--so I think that eliminates a few other allergens. I stopped dairy products 2 weeks ago because they seemed to make her cranky-would a food allergy cause something like this?

Ok, this is a long post but I'm hoping someone will have some experience and advice. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Infants don't have seasonal allergies in their first year. They have to become sensitized to something to be allergic to it. Since she's only 5 weeks it's probably just still newborn stuffiness. Try squirting some breastmilk up her nose to help loosen anything there.

-Angela
Old 05-09-2006, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It sounds likely that your dd just has a cold. Maybe steam would help her congestion (like being in the bathroom while the shower is running). I decided my ds had seasonal allergies based on a drippy nosed that lasted over a month. I think it showed up his second spring and has definitly been present his third and forth one. I just scored a Hepa Air Purifier at a thrift store which seems to be helping somewhat. Ds plays outside a lot so pollen can't be completely avoided. It's better to play outside after a rain because that knocks the pollen count down but it has been dry here. I try to make sure he gets lots of vit C, too.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

User Tag List