So scared for my sister... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not sure if this is the right place to post this...

She is 38 wks preg and the docs have been talking about doing a c-section for months now - just because her last baby's shoulders were slightly stuck! No other reason. My sis was a nurse and told them they are crazy basically. She thought maybe the doc forgot and thought her son had ongoing probs from it or something - he was fine.

Well, now they are saying that if she hasn't delivered by next Wed they will do a stress test and sonogram and if the baby has gotten much bigger a c/s or if not much bigger just induce.

Doesn't help that my sis really thinks her last baby was almost too big. I keep encouraging her - telling her that midwives say if you can get up off your booty - squat, kneel, hang on someone etc - that your pelvis has 1-3 inches more space in it and I'm encouraging her to do that. But if she's induced she says they won't let you out of bed. I told her to sqaut in bed.

Well, as my mom says, my sis knows how to read all the charts, so they won't pull the wool over her eyes by saying that the heartbeat is fluctuating (when it's only off by 2 beats or something). But I'm so afraid for her because I know they will tell her that the baby is too big for her to deliver vaginally and that it will be risky to the baby to try it. And what is she going to say??

I'm not that close to her so I don't want to be pushy, but if I can save her from a c/s (I had one - ugh! with an only 8% c/s rate birth center). Any ideas??? I'm so scared for her!!
#2 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

bump
#3 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 07:18 PM

Well, if she doesn't believe the truth about her body's ability to birth, nothing you say or do will convince her. Induction for no good reason is a jumpstart to problems. She is a nurse, and unfortunately she has been indoctrinated by the medical philosophy. Keep telling her what you know, and encourage her, and see if you can get her to read Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper, RN. Being written by a nurse , she's more likey to read it. And there is also a FABulous video that goes with the book. WAY convincing.
#4 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

yeah Prob you are right.

She was all for a natural birth - very against epidurals - when she went for her first. But her labor was slow and painful and doc's told her she could go home or have pitocin. She had pitocin and then nonstop heavy contractions so got an epidural. Now she swears by them. 2n'd baby, labor wasn't progressing so they ssaid she needed pitocin - so yeah - she's been pretty deceived in what she's been told and made to believe.

Any links to stories of people who had c/s for babies that were too big and then delivered vaginally bigger ones with midwife or whatever would be helpful!!!!
#5 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama
Any links to stories of people who had c/s for babies that were too big and then delivered vaginally bigger ones with midwife or whatever would be helpful!!!!
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth has a story like that. There are probably some here too.
#6 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM

You might want to remind her that ultrasounds have a two pound error rate late in pregnancy. I know that Ina May talks about this in her books. The only way to really guess the weight of the baby is with someone experienced in feeling baby's weight in utero. My midwife was to the ounce. I recently know two people forced into c-sections because of size. One was supposed to be almost 11 lbs turned out to be 7lbs 11oz, and the other was believed to be an 8lb baby with a huge head turned out to be 6lbs 4oz and his head was less then 20th percentile! Technicians are wrong all them time!
#7 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 09:38 PM

My second DD was 8 lbs 8 oz and had one hand up by her face on her way out. I delivered on hands and knees and the mw just asked me to move my knees further apart. She slid right out just fine with barely a tear!

All this was at home on our bed, btw. And 3 weeks previous, the mw felt around and said the baby was MAYBE 6 lbs, just a "little peanut"! Ha!

I agree that if she doesn't have confidence in her body, that will hold her back more than anything. If she is tense and afraid, labor will slow down.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#8 of 9 Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 AM

Direct her to Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, most specifically the chapter on Shoulder Dystocea. My first son was a 'stuck' baby, too. His shoulders caught and the Ob and nurses did many drastic things to force him out. His birth was quite traumatic for both of us. He weighed 8lbs 7oz at 2 1/2 weeks before his due date. When I went past my due date with my second son the Ob said that he would far outweigh his older brother, surely over 9 pounds and he would get stuck, too, and we HAD to induce today {3 days after due date}. During my whole labor she fretted and glared and made dire predictions about emergency c-sections for huge babies, even had the OR prepared "just in case". His birth was easy as pie ~ he was 7 lbs 11oz and covered in vernix.

My point is that Dr's are very often very wrong in guessing fetal weight. The risk of dystocea repeating is actually quite low. Four children, two of them over 8 pounds, and only the one was a 'stuck' baby.

Also have her read about the Gaskin Maneuvre, to be prepared just in case the baby does become lodged. It involves flipping from laboring on the back {IIRC the vast majority of cases of shoulder dystocea occur in mothers who are laboring on their back} to all fours. The motion and gravity help to dislodge the baby. The manuevre is described in detail in the book. You might be able to find information about it online, too.

Had I known about the Gaskin Maneuvre when laboring with my oldest quite a bit of the trauma of his birth {include the dozens and dozens ~ well over 100 ~ stitches from an episiotomy and tearing} could have been avoided, as well as quite a bit of fear which I carried with me through all subsequent births.
#9 of 9 Old 05-11-2006, 05:22 AM

Statistics suggest that 1000 unnecessary caesareans need to be performed in order to prevent one infant dying as a result of brachial plexus or other injuries sustained as a result of shoulder dystocia.
I'd give her these to read:
http://www.radmid.demon.co.uk/shoulderslouise.htm
http://www.perinatal.nhs.uk/reviews/...r_dystocia.htm
I'd also point out that the second link comes from the UK's government agency and represents best practice in this country.
I do get where she's coming from- I had a baby with stuck shoulders (but not a true dystocia) at a homebirth, and we were quite antsy about Skye's birth. In the end, of course, she was born with me flat on my back with no problems whatsoever.
I'd ask a mod to move this thread, btw, I think you'll get more responses in Birth and Beyond.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page