Does Amber help with teething? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2006, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Have heard that amber can help soothe little ons who are tething, has anyone heard of this lor uses amber? I have seen a necklace for sale here (in UK) specifically for kids. Was thinking of making my own anyone done it? Do I nd to do anything special or just thread some amber beads?
Thanks
Leah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2006, 09:39 AM

Maybe use something that's not likely to break, like monofilament fishing line instead of thread?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:54 AM

I know that those amber teething necklace have little knots between each beads to secure them in case the thread is broken

I have friends in Europe that uses them and are very pleased with them

Valérie   
Old 05-11-2006, 10:47 AM

I used one with DS and swear by it. And it was made by the mama who sells them here - they're really worth the money. The string they're made with is very strong and yes, there is a knot between each bead to prevent all of them from falling off if it were to break - which, I don't think it would very easily.

I have now put it away for the next baby and the next - I'll be using it with all my kids and I'm certain that it will last.

Good luck. If you buy from the mama here, I know you'll be pleased.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Old 05-11-2006, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
Will definately get one. Who is the mama that sells them here??
Do you guys take them off the kids when thy sleep?
thanks again
Leah
Old 05-12-2006, 09:09 PM

My son wore his from 4 months onwards, day and night (we only took the necklace off for baths). It really helped him. We co-sleep so I haven't been worried about leaving the necklace on at night.

I'd recommend taking the necklace off whenever your baby/ toddler will be without close supervision, for instance if they sleep on their own.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:14 PM

Both of my teething children wear these. We got ours from Wondrous Gems in the UK (an mdc mama-hopefully she will post here!) I can see a BIG difference when they wear the necklaces. you can also get teething toys with amber in them as well.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 06-01-2006, 01:54 PM

Hi,
If you are thinking of making your own, you must make sure the Amber has not been heated, dyed, or treated in any manner or it will not work. I have not had any luck getting beads from a bead store as most of them have no idea if the Amber has been treated.

I have used the Amber necklaces for years, and my grandchildren now have them too. They do work great to help with the teething pain, diaper rash, red cheeks and much more. I even wear one myself for my fibromyligia. I have had the knotted kind and the the ones that are strung. None of them have ever broken and the child just wears the necklace and they do not chew on the necklace. I have found that the earlier you put the teething necklace on (at about 3-4 months) the better it is as the child does not even know they are wearing the necklace. The necklace should be worn under their clothes so it touches the skin. You should be able to slide 2 fingers between the necklace and child's neck. You do'not want it any tighter than that.

Both the Baltic Amber and the Hazelwood work great. They are the same product, from the same source, just a different look. I think it is just a preference to what look you like.

If you cannot find a finished one you can always check at www.sugarandspicekidz.com Please let me know if you have any other questions, and I would be glad to help.

Lin
Old 05-30-2008, 07:46 AM

I decided to keep an open mind on amber necklaces and bought one. But there wasn't even a placebo effect. Didn't do a thing or help in the least. It looked cute though!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:04 AM

I believe the amber has really helped dd. She would have days where she'd be fussy all day and then I'd remember that I'd forgot to put her necklace on that morning. I'd put it on and we'd have a fuss free evening. It was like day and night. She's been wearing one every day since she was a few months old. She and I have matching necklaces from Inspired by Finn.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 05-30-2008, 12:59 PM

We have an amber/hemp teething necklace...it sure looks adorable; they look like little surfer dudes. But I never noticed it did a darn thing for the teething.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :

User Tag List