What is the earliest a child has ever walked? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2006, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

Dd is 6 months old (as of last week). She can crawl, sit up by herself from a crawling position, can pull herself up to a standing position, and will take steps while holding onto our fingers with both hands.

9 months is the earliest walking I've heard of, but I'm starting to think that we should be prepared sooner than that with dd I'm a bit nervous about it actually. So CAN babies ever walk sooner than 9 mos?

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 03:00 AM

I've heard of walking at 7 months. Though I'll tell you, my dd was doing all that at that age too but didn't walk on her own until 11 months...

-Angela
Old 05-17-2006, 03:25 AM

I've heard a few 7 months too. But like the PP, my daughter was doing all of that by six months and didn't walk until just after her first birthday.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:41 AM

My niece walked well at 7.5 months and took a step or two at 7 months. Its hard because their balance is not as good as it should be and they ofen fall more than older babies.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:48 AM

I have heard (but never seen!) 7 months. Dd was able to take steps using our fingers at about 6 and a half months, but took her first steps right after she turned 10 months. It all happened so fast crawling, pulling up, and cruising happened all in her 6-7 month.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:55 AM

My dd crawled easily at 5.5 mos. She took her first steps at just over 10 mos but decided not to walk until 12 mos because of some bad falls at 10 mos. You just never can tell.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 05-17-2006, 04:08 AM

I think i'd strap my dc into a sling or carrier if they started showing signs of walking by 7 months old but im selfish and cannot imagine having a 7 month old walking

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
Old 05-17-2006, 04:24 AM

DS started walking using our fingers at 5.5 months old, and was pulling up by around 6.5 months (if he was sitting in front of something he could pull up on), but didn't start crawling until 8 months and is still army crawling. He's cruising pretty well now at 9 months and can stand unassisted for around 10 seconds, but hasn't taken any steps yet.

There's a baby in DS's playgroup was walking by 8.5 months.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Though I'll tell you, my dd was doing all that at that age too but didn't walk on her own until 11 months...

-Angela

my dd was doing all that at 6 mo, now 10 mo and still not walk on her own.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Old 05-17-2006, 05:28 AM

My son was crawling at 5 months and doing all that stuff at 6 months, and at 13 months STILL isn't walking. He's taken a couple steps on his own, but he just doesn't want to walk and isn't interested in trying!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:32 AM

According to my mother, I was walking at 8 months.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:54 AM

My Grandma said my Mom was taking steps at 8 months and walking everywhere by 8.5. She said she never really crawled. My dd(8.5 months) has just started crawling and TRYING to pull herself up to stand.

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
Old 05-17-2006, 10:19 AM

I walked at 8 months.

BUT my DS was doing all the same things as your baby at 6 months
Quote:
Dd is 6 months old (as of last week). She can crawl, sit up by herself from a crawling position, can pull herself up to a standing position, and will take steps while holding onto our fingers with both hands.
and is now almost 1 year and still not walking.

raising my two sunshine children.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:23 AM

My ds crawled at 5.5 months, walked at 8 months, was running by 9 months. My latest walker walked at 10.5 months. Of course, I was childproofing when ds was 11 weeks because he was rolling himself across the floor. I've often felt that I get cheated out of the infancy.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 AM

Well, my grandpa's wife said her son walked at 7 months!!! So, I guess it does happen, however my DS rolled over at 2 weeks, sat up by 3-4 months, and could walk holding my hands by 6 months, and he is now 12 months, and still not walking!!! It's like he switched his focus to lesrning to talk/......
Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 AM

Dd pulled herself up at 6.5 months. Started cruising around 8 months, started walking at 9 months.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 AM

My son was rolling everywhere at 12 weeks, crawling everywhere just before 5 months, pulling up at 6 months, and taking a step or two (in a flying lunge on the way to crashing) at about 7 or 7.5 months. I was so afraid he'd be walking everywhere at that age, which would have been disastrous. He slowed down and was walking everywhere at 9.5 months. Now at almost 13 months, he is running and climbing and falling a lot. Blood from the face/mouth weekly, new bruise every other day or so--he's always pushing his limits to the edge. Maybe your baby will slow down a bit! For your sake, I hope so!

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
Old 05-17-2006, 11:40 AM

My DS started crawling at 6 months, almost extactly, he pulled up a day or two later and didn't take his first steps untill the day after his first birfday. And then, he took some steps, but really wanted to walk with hands. Then at like 13 months, maybe earlier...he took off. He walks always now. He'll be 14 months tommorow.
I reall thought he'd walk earlier than that...but oh well!
I think everyone is sooooo different. It's hard to tell.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:03 PM

My dd1 walked well at 8 months. I have a cousin who was walking at 7 months. It is very possible that you will have a walker soon.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:40 PM

My best friend's mother swears my friend climbed out of her crib all by herself and walked into the living room at 8 mo.

I babysat the daughter of a friend's friend once who was 5 1/2 mo and could pull herself up and cruise around furniture. She was really tiny for a 5mo too, it was unbelievable to see. I only saw her that one time though, I don't know when she actually walked on her own.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:41 PM

My boy walked at 8 months.

i have a friend who says hers walked at 6.5 months. i didn't see it personally, but i don't doubt her at all. That baby was rolling over in her bassinet in the hospital just hours after birth (the nurse was beside herself, not knowing how that could possibly happen, haha), and creeping by 1 month. I certainly don't think any of those things are anywhere near "normal" though, just goes to show you that kids do things at wildly different times.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I once saw a newborn walk at only a few hours old- OK, it was a horse, but it was a newborn! Wait, were you only asking about humans? 8 months is the earliest I've ever heard of, and my son ALMOST did that, but then he discovered the steps and focused his energies on learning how to climb them and abandoned walking til he was about 9.5 months.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 05-17-2006, 01:05 PM

My dd was taking steps like that at 3mo. I swear! At her Dr.'s appointment the ped was shocked.

She's now 8mo, crawiling, pulling herself up, climbing, and cruising while hanging on...but not walking...so I'm sure it's possible, but rare!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the responses and stories! 7 months.... WOW. I really hope that dd slows down also. Good to know also that some other babies who were really trucking at 6 months didn't walk til they were a year though dd has been really focused on walking ever since she was about three months old. So, who knows?

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 05-17-2006, 02:55 PM

My dd sat up unassisted at 3 months (freakishly strong torso, lol), crawled at 5 months, was pulling up a day or two later and started walking with the push toy at 6 months (though wasn't great with it until about 8 months.) She started walking at 9 months.

I actually perfer it! She was able to go where she wanted which meant less meltdowns (she had several in between 3 months and 5 months because she wanted to go, but just couldn't.) I don't know what I'll do if my next child doesn't walk until one year.

Mama of three.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:11 PM

DS1 walked at 10 months (sat at 4 months) & DD1 walked at 9 months (sat at 5 months). In between we had DS2... but he was a very late walker. (He sat at 11 months if that tells you anything...he had gross motor delays.) DD2 is now 2 months & I think she'll be early like the other 2. She can sit on my lap & balance herself quite a while & can push herself up, on my lap, into a standing position without me having to "hold" her up. Time will tell.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:24 PM

Ok, I don't know if this counts, but my mom says my oldest sister walked at 6 months, but got scared when she would fall & didn't start walking again for a couple more months.

Rachel~wife to Keith since 5/01~mother to Georgia since 4/04~Bishop since 1/06~Zoe since 11/07 (my HBA2C!)~EDD 2/14/10 w/Baby surprise #4
Old 05-17-2006, 03:39 PM

My dd skipped crawling all together and took her first steps at 8 months. It wasn't fun; she didn't know how to fall on her bum so she would fall over, straight onto her back. I wanted to put a helmet on her. And also, since she didn't crawl she couldn't go over and pull herself up anywhere. It took a month or two of me walking right behind her with my hands ready to catch her until she finally learned to fall on her bum.

Then, with baby #2, I get the exact opposite. Ds didn't crawl until 10 1/2 mos, took his first steps at 14 months, and wasn't really walking until over 16 months.

To tell you the truth, I preferred the early walking to the late. I loved to cary him around, but he was very heavy! Even if they're early walkers there's still plenty of carrying going on!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:42 PM

The bones are still soft and nature makes it all just right. Too soon may curve the legs. So just trust her. She probably won't walk till one anyway but if she does, then she is ready. Don't encourage it thought. Let her choose and don't offer the kind of help that will make her do what she wouldn't otherwise. Just trust. I used to worry about everything until I listend to the CD set Babies and Toddlers to Tame or to trust and then read the book by same author. Check authenticparent.com you will find everything that will take your worries away.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy marja
My dd skipped crawling all together and took her first steps at 8 months. It wasn't fun; she didn't know how to fall on her bum so she would fall over, straight onto her back. I wanted to put a helmet on her. And also, since she didn't crawl she couldn't go over and pull herself up anywhere. It took a month or two of me walking right behind her with my hands ready to catch her until she finally learned to fall on her bum.
My first did the exact same thing! It was very frustrating. She was cruising at 7 months and walked soon after that...but we had to be right there with her as she didn't have the falling/standing up skills she would have had if she crawled.

User Tag List