If your son is intact (not circed) please read - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 110 Old 03-18-2007, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so happy that bothmy sons' drs never did this. Our first (he retired ) used to say every time he opened up dS1's diaper, "We're just going to leave that alone," which was so reassuring because I knew he wasn't going totouch it.
#62 of 110 Old 05-15-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

time again.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#63 of 110 Old 05-16-2007, 11:43 AM

I would hit, bite, murder, whatever someone who was trying to harm DS... but dr's not knowing to not retract not even a thought in my head. Our Ped just opens the diaper and looks I always think for diaper rash but he has not once tried to touch his penis and I would have been shocked had he tried to retract. good for you mom's slapping hands away.

Baby Mama, Law Student, Milk Maker:
Mom-type to DSS 10/12/03, Mom to DS 10/05/06 and DD 11/03/08.
#64 of 110 Old 05-16-2007, 02:08 PM

I have major guilt issues about this because I wasn't fast enough to stop an ER nurse from retracting when she catheterized DS#2....:

It was around 6 months ago and every time I wipe him/change his diaper he gets scared and says "Penis hurt mama...penis hurt" anytime I touch it...for any reason, bath, etc....

I feel extra bad about it because I should have been on top of it...but we were in the ER due to SEVERE allergic reaction to a penicillin shot he got (LOOONG story) and it was the last thing on my mind. That's what gets me...that I wasn't even thinking about it until I look over and WHAM! It was done.
#65 of 110 Old 05-16-2007, 03:26 PM

Sorry to jump in, but I couldn't resist. This issue gets me so angry!

Just wanted to add that many feel that well-baby/child check-ups to be totally unnecessary, so fewer trips to the Ped might alieviate some of this problem (although not their ignorance -- GRR). "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor" is a great resource, if you haven't checked it out already, written by a Ped!

Living simply with the loves of my life! :::
#66 of 110 Old 05-16-2007, 03:26 PM

We are military and I don't have to worry about it, circumcision is so prevelant here, they are literally frightened to see he has foreskin. It goes something like this:
Let's take a look
Oh, okay.
Diaper back on.
It's comical actually. Just in case you all are wondering... my now 8 year old ds just retracted last year, all by himself.
#67 of 110 Old 05-16-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
By the time they hit puberty they will usually figure out they should rinse under it.
Really, they should be told, not just left to figure it out. I told my then 7 year old about rinsing. No soap. I din't make a big deal about it. It went:
Mom: DS can you pull your skin on your penis back?
DS: Oh, you mean where it becomes purple?
Mom: Ummm, yeah.
DS: Yep! Hey mom why does Dad not have to make his come out?
Mom;(WHERE is your father??) Well, some people think it is okay to rip their brand new baby's foreskin off, it's called circumcision and your dad's mom thought it was okay. I wanted that choice to be yours because it is your body, not mine. I made a very researched decision about it. You will see people who are and who aren't circumcised, no one is better than the other, although, just between you and me, I think uncirc'd is better, just don't make fun of others...K
Oh and DS, when you are in the shower, you can pull your skin back and rinse with only water, just let the water run over it then, put it back...K
DS: Okay mom, thank-you for not cir....what's it called? me. I think that would hurt real bad.
Mom: I am sure it would, but remember, it's your body. I love you DS.
#68 of 110 Old 05-16-2007, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

I do recommend mentioning it I was just saying that most boys will figure things out on their own during self exploration. I will tell ds he can do rinse under it when he is old enough to understand just like I told dd to wash her bits

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#69 of 110 Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom View Post
I had this old nurse try to retract my 9 mo ds, to clean him to put a little urine sticky bag on him. I had to yell at her and knock her hand away. She kept telling me to move my hand, and I told her no. She acted like he was dirty or nasty because he was intact
wtf? I'm sorry! good for you, though...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#70 of 110 Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 PM

here is a great link :

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#71 of 110 Old 05-24-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

ing this because I am seeing retracting going on still :

#72 of 110 Old 07-09-2007, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

again

#73 of 110 Old 07-09-2007, 04:28 PM

thanks for bumping this because i'm taking my first ds to the doc soon & this reminds me to ask her (politely) if she & her staff know not to retract.

stephanie asl.gif

#74 of 110 Old 07-09-2007, 04:34 PM

I've seen recommendations to print out intact care guidelines here at MDC or other anti-circ web sites and take them to doctors appointments/ER. It might be better to print out the care guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics own web site, whose advice is very simple:

The foreskin usually does not fully retract for several years and should never be forced. The uncircumcised penis is easy to keep clean by gently washing the genital area while bathing. You do not need to do any special cleansing, such as with cotton swabs or antiseptics.

It might hold more weight with medical professionals...

You can find it here:
http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZ13FOPIUC.htm?&sub_cat=1

(scroll down to What If I Choose Not to Have My Son Circumcised?)
#75 of 110 Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 PM

thanks for this thread! i discussed this with DS's ped, but of course we went in once when at 13 mo when he was running a high fever and saw the other doc in the practice, who retracted him to check how hard it would be to catheterize him for suspected UTI. of course the only reason we suspected UTI was because he's EC'd and we saw his pee in the potty looked cloudy... so we said we could very well provide a clean catch from our EC baby! i just totally wasn't expecting retraction, especially not when the other doctor in the practice said he didn't do it.

i wasn't aware that they don't need to be retracted for catheterization anyway, if we had had to do that - good to know!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#76 of 110 Old 08-25-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

#77 of 110 Old 10-09-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

#78 of 110 Old 12-19-2007, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

before the new year.

#79 of 110 Old 12-20-2007, 02:48 AM

bumping for a good thread
#80 of 110 Old 12-20-2007, 04:52 AM

I have a DD but not a DS...and decided not to circ when I do have a boy. But I've always heard if you don't circ, you retract with every diaper change.

So why would you not? I'm a little naive when it comes to uncirc'ed little boys.....

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#81 of 110 Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Jazzy you dont because it is attached like the fingernail to the nail bed can you imagine tearing back the nail to clean under it?? well same thing with the foreskin. Please come on over to the Case Against Circ and get up to date on intact genital care.

#82 of 110 Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 AM

ya i only have a dd to so far - but im confused too. i have heard ppl on here saying not to retract it. if its attached then when does it eventually seperate? my dh is not circ'ed and obviously his forskin comes back...is there a point when it happens naturally (like maybe their first errection??)

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#83 of 110 Old 12-20-2007, 11:18 AM

It happens naturally some time between toddlerhood and the end of puberty usually.
Infants get erections, but it just pulls the foreskin smooth, it doesn't retract it.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#84 of 110 Old 12-20-2007, 12:33 PM

oh...ok

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#85 of 110 Old 12-21-2007, 04:07 AM

The ped retracted ds at about a year, saying she needed to do it to see that everything was alright. I had heard it wasn't necessary, but wasn't defensive enough. Luckily, he didn't develop an infection and seems fine now. No doctor has even looked since then.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#86 of 110 Old 12-21-2007, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

I so wish these Dr's would get up to date on their training already. :

If he hadnt of been retractable I bet she would have told you he needed to either be circed or be seen by a urologist because of phimosis a condition that cannot be diagnosed until after puberty. Since before that it is ment to be fused to keep stuff out. There is nothing in there they need to see at all.

From your description the only thing she could have been checking for was retraction since obviously he had been urinating fine for almost a year.

#87 of 110 Old 12-21-2007, 01:05 PM

Our pedi said she starts retracting at a year "to train it". I left a pamphlet on her desk, but I don't feel confident it will penetrate into her mind.

I figured I would need to be mentally prepared to defend him in another few months. I am rebellious against authority figures, but in a non-confrontational way.

But, in the last few days I have noticed some balooning. And the tip looks slightly open sometimes. So I guess he is becoming retractile on the early side of the normal range. Hopefully when he hits a year old i can just say "his foreskin is retractile now so you don't need to touch it."

But I hope she pays attention to the pamphlet, for the sake of other normal boys.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#88 of 110 Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

It is your right to tell her to not touch his penis. I know what it is like not to be agressive with Dr's because I am as well. But it is imparative that we protect our little ones from harm. It felt so weird last time I took ds in and told the Dr. he couldnt touch his penis at all. The look on the Dr's face was priceless but my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest.

The foreskin isnt a dog you cant "train it" :

#89 of 110 Old 01-02-2008, 02:53 AM

Thank you so much Mama's for posting this info. I was confused when my DS was born because my DH is circumcised (poor guy) and my aunts all came after me telling me to start blowing on the tip of his penis and pulling back the skin. Can you believe it? I got a terrible feeling in my stomach when I heard crap like that. I even had a neighbour tell me that you can "train" the foreskin to retract permanently if you start when they are very young. What-ever!!!!

I am so glad that I was lucky enough to have a midwife a) that forced us to concider not circ'ing our son, and b) told me to care for his penis as I would his elbow... do nothing special.

I never thought about the fact that the MIL could be retracting, but will have that talk with her tomorrow. I have no problem slapping hands away!

Thanks again ladies!
#90 of 110 Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
my aunts all came after me telling me to start blowing on the tip of his penis
: : HOLY CARP did they even realize how sick, horrible, disgusting, bad that sounds??? And here I thought I had heard all the myths there were to the foreskin. :

Thank the Good Lord you had a great MW

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page