If your son is intact (not circed) please read - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 01-02-2008, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow- this is why i have daughters. i would kill someone if they tried doing this to my baby. i think the whole circ / nocirc debate would be the end of my marriage anyways. Keep up the good work, moms of intact boys.
#92 of 110 Old 02-23-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Time for a

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#93 of 110 Old 02-23-2008, 08:17 PM

I apologize - haven't read the whole post but wanted to add something. As a postpartum doula I often accompany moms and babes to doc appts. At one appt. I went to with twin boys the following happened...mom was sitting in a chair across from examination table, doc put one baby on the table while mom was holding other baby. Doc was examining baby with her back to mom so mom couldn't see her baby. I witnessed doc retract the foreskin of this babe, without asking (like anyone would have said "okay" if asked). She did not tell mom what she had done and mom did not see. I was in so much shock I swear to you I cannot remember what happened after that.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#94 of 110 Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the reminder.
#95 of 110 Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

time

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#96 of 110 Old 04-23-2008, 01:57 PM

We have a great ped who provides patients with printed materials describing proper care of the intact penis. I'm going to bump this too though because, although I live in a major city w/ probably thousands of peds, I drive over an hour to ours (when we go that is.). It's extremely difficult to find fully competent HCPs!

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!
#97 of 110 Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

#98 of 110 Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflcpw View Post
Really, they should be told, not just left to figure it out. I told my then 7 year old about rinsing. No soap. I din't make a big deal about it. It went:
Mom: DS can you pull your skin on your penis back?
DS: Oh, you mean where it becomes purple?
Mom: Ummm, yeah.
DS: Yep! Hey mom why does Dad not have to make his come out?
Mom;(WHERE is your father??) Well, some people think it is okay to rip their brand new baby's foreskin off, it's called circumcision and your dad's mom thought it was okay. I wanted that choice to be yours because it is your body, not mine. I made a very researched decision about it. You will see people who are and who aren't circumcised, no one is better than the other, although, just between you and me, I think uncirc'd is better, just don't make fun of others...K
Oh and DS, when you are in the shower, you can pull your skin back and rinse with only water, just let the water run over it then, put it back...K
DS: Okay mom, thank-you for not cir....what's it called? me. I think that would hurt real bad.
Mom: I am sure it would, but remember, it's your body. I love you DS.
AWESOME! I hope my conversation with DS is similar. you go mama!
#99 of 110 Old 10-04-2008, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

#100 of 110 Old 10-04-2008, 10:52 PM

Our pedi is in his 60's - and he told us "leave it alone". He taught us, or we would not have known not to retract.

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
#101 of 110 Old 10-05-2008, 01:01 AM

my ds has been pulling his foreskin back since he had the coordination~~for a long time. he is often waaaaay more rough than any adult would ever be and it is sometimes red after a "session" of pulling. i have always thought it was a bit extreame to say that it should never be retracted for those reasons. i agree that nobody needs to be pulling on my sons penis however~ he does that enough himself

joyful student mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, crazy in love with DH, and loving our new baby boy! 7-09:!!
#102 of 110 Old 10-05-2008, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

It is more than just the damage that can be done it is the fact that when a dr does it and they see it isnt retractable that leads them to say something is wrong causing needless worry to the parent and in some cases it has caused the child to be circed because they where not retractable by X age This can be totally avoided by not allowing anyone to touch the childs penis.

#103 of 110 Old 10-05-2008, 02:16 AM

I'm just curious about this, being from Australia originally where most boys aren't circ, what are the reasons for doing it here other than religious?
#104 of 110 Old 10-05-2008, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

It is just done because it has always been done there are no medical reasons for RIC but for so many years it was done here that people assumed there was a medical reason to do it. If you will come over to the CAC forum you can find a lot more information there since talking about it here is OT and might get the thread shut down and I dont want that to happen since this is a very important issue that needs to be brought to parents attention.

#105 of 110 Old 10-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Geez, I have been letting my son's pedi retract his foreskin without realizing what she was doing. She only did it a little bit and told me that wasn't retraction, said she was just examining the penis. Now I realize what she was doing. My son has been to the doctor six times in his nine month life so I hope that half a dozen retractions hasn't permanently damaged him. Thank you for keeping this thread afloat.

Drew, mom to Ben (1-7-08), expecting another wonderful babe 4-1-10 via .
#106 of 110 Old 10-06-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Odds are that she didnt hurt him but she needs to be made aware that what she is doing is wrong and it has to stop. You could save boys from circ late on by speaking out.

#107 of 110 Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

again.

#108 of 110 Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 AM

I think my son has only been retracted twice and then not very far. The first time was by the ped to make sure that it was alright since he was a preemie. (He said even if we had wanted it, he wouldn't do a circ on a preemie because you just don't know quite yet if everything has grown right.) The next time was by a children's urologist at the children's hospital because the ped had found that the opening was not quite like it should be (hence why retraction was "only a little." It couldn't be retracted which explained, they said, the straining when he had to urinate.) After doing some research, it's not a common problem, but it's not the most rare problem in the world either.

The ped really just did a quick exam, and it's the only time he's looked under DS's diaper. I kinda figured that a urologist who specializes in babies would know what he is doing?

Other than that, no one does anything to him. He hasn't started exploring yet, either, so I know he's not doing it. That's half the reason I refuse to use daycare in this area is because I know the workers don't know how to deal with uncircumcised boys.

Married to DH since February 2005, mother of selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifDS (8/18/2008) and DD in (4/2/2011)!  lactivist.gif familybed2.gif  Expecting stork-suprise.gif February 2013!

#109 of 110 Old 01-07-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The ped really just did a quick exam, and it's the only time he's looked under DS's diaper. I kinda figured that a urologist who specializes in babies would know what he is doing?
I wish that where the case but all most urologists are taught is how to cut it off. What he did while it didnt cause any damage was totally unneccissarry and could have indeed caused problems. Any problem would have shown up on the outside if it didnt their wasnt a problem. Most babies boys and girls strain a bit while urinating not sure why but they do.

Quote:
The next time was by a children's urologist at the children's hospital because the ped had found that the opening was not quite like it should be (hence why retraction was "only a little." It couldn't be retracted which explained, they said, the straining when he had to urinate.)
It isnt supposed to retract at all in a newborn it is fused to the head of the penis like the fingernail is to the nailbed. That is how it protects the glans. Any dr that dosnt know this is not up to date on their information.
Either way make sure that they dont sneak and do it again some dr never touch the penis until the boy hits a certain age when he does they start trying to retract when they never had before.

If you havnt done so yet a visit to the CAC forum would be a good spot to go to.

#110 of 110 Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page