Mothering Forum banner

Are your babies losing hair?

18K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  Zooey Barnett 
#1 ·
Olivia was born with a full head of dark hair. It was all staying in until the last couple of weeks and now she is majorly losing it! I didn't think that would happen at almost 4 months! I am so sad, I loved all that hair! She is shedding like a cat, we find her hairs everywhere. Sob!

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CK'sMama
DS was born with a head full of black hair and starting losing it right around 4 months, same time I started shedding my pregnant hair as well. It has grown back since but it is now light brown with some blonde and red.
Wow, now that you mention it, my hair started shedding at that time too! Still have a pretty full head of hair though, thank goodness and DS has never gone completely bald. I could see an undercoat (can't think of a better word) of blonde when he was about 2 months though, so that's what's showing now.

Marcy

#7 ·
My son lost all the hair on the sides of his head as a baby, and now DD is losing hers too. We like to call this look, the fro/mullet/fade. :LOL It grows back eventually. That'll teach me for laughing at babies with a similar do before I had kids!

#8 ·
Yep, we lost our hair together at about four months post-partum, too. I was worried about it at first, until I realized that it probably all started growing at the same time, so it stands to reason that it would all fall out at the same time. (Now someone's going to say it's hormonal. Oh, well, that was my thinking then.) Meg's ten months yesterday, and her hair's getting nice and thick again. Don't worry, Heavenly. It doesn't last long.

Mirlee, we used to joke that Meg had my dad's genes when she was particularly balding. Poor grandpa. :LOL

Dee, you are too funny. Now stop making fun of our Sanaa India, world's most beautiful cloth diaper model!
:LOL

warmly,
Kam, mama to Meg who is now past her frizz/mullet/shiny phase

#9 ·
Maddie started losing her hair around 3 months. She was born with a nice amount (not a big mop though) of dark brown hair. Now she has a swirl of hair at the top of her head, a bald patch in the middle back of her head, then a patch of dark hair at the base of her head.

She is starting to grow in hair that is a light ash brown-blonde color. It matches her eyebrows now!

#10 ·
Well hopefully it will grow back soon! I'm glad to know this is normal. I haven't noticed my hair falling out yet, with my son it didn't start until he was 9 months old and I wasn't breastfeeding. This time I'm breastfeeding so I don't know if that will affect it at all. I can't wait until she has enough hair for me to play with!

#11 ·
Sephie had a think head (hehe think head) of dark hair from birth but it's been falling out steadily since then. SHe's 3 months now and I'm getting sick of the mullet. I daydream about shaving it! Her roots are blonde and dp and I were both blondies as children so I figure we're getting there. I had heard 3 months was when it all fell out for most babies, but it sounds like it's 4 months. My friend's son's hair fell out right away and he is 7 months and it is growing back in really fast all of a sudden. Anyway, I'm glad to hear maybe that ugly patch that's left will fall out so new hair can grow in. Sorry for your loss. I was horrified when dd's hair first started to fall out.
Lauren

#12 ·
my dd's thick bushy dark hair fell out at 6 m, turned honey blond and silky, & when she got her period, turned brown & curly! (now she's a redhead, & it looks natural- lots of redheads in the family)

sam's little blond curls are now, at 2, a brown buzzcut (it started going bushy, like dh's when he had hair), & poor old max is bald as can be on the back of his head- silky and dark on the rest (at almost 7 months.) you can never tell.

suse

#13 ·
My rugrat's also losing her hair, especially at the sides!

Zara's around 4 months now, and it seems like that's normal around this age. I'm glad; I figured it was normal, but it's nice to know that it's happened with other babies.

It'll be interesting to see what her hair will be; right now, it's all dark and straight when dry (but very curly when wet). Maybe she'll have blondish hair like DH!

#17 ·
My DD was born with full of hair:smile: but started losing her hair when she was four months:frown: I know it is common among babies below 6 months but still worried and consulted my paediatrician, he advised me to allow baby on her tummy when she is awake, this prevents from hair loss and also from getting bald patches on the scalp. So followed the same and prevented the hair loss to some extent. Now my DD completed her 1 year, she is getting her hair back without any bald patches0:) You can find more tips&info @ http://www.momjunction.com/articles/tips-prevent-hair-fall-in-babies_00104089/ Hope this helps you. Thank You!!

#24 ·
Mine was born with a decent head of dark hair, and has lost most of it on the top! I have friends whose babes were born with dark hair, lost it all, and came back a completely different color or texture. It's very normal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.