Sleep information - let's share it! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When does your baby sleep? (What times, and for how long?)

What's the daily total, and what age is your child?

What's your bedtime routine?

We are having problems over here, so I want to try to get some ideas from people regarding schedules, rhythms, etc... Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2006, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=kaaris]When does your baby sleep? (What times, and for how long?)

Ds sleeps about 9 hours at night (yeah...not much but he wakes at 5am NO MATTER WHAT!) He goes to bed anwhere from 7-9pm. Then he takes three 1 1/2- 2 hour naps. Usually one around 8-9ish, 11:-12ish and 2-3ish. Although, I have never put him on any schedule and just listen/look for his tired signs. There's not even any use trying to get him to sleep when he isn't sleepy

What's the daily total, and what age is your child? Probably on the lower end of "normal" for his age...

Daily total...somewhere around 14 hours probably

Daddy reads books and walks him in a dark room. I come in and nurse him down. If that doesn't work it's time to put him in a sling and bounce him on the bouncy ball while I go to MDC Naps are the same way- either nursing down or sling

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Old 05-21-2006, 10:32 PM

Nighttime: he goes to bed (in his crib) at 7 on the dot. Sleeps til 4am, then back to sleep until 6 (hopefully) though sometimes wakens at 5 as well. I bring him in the bed with me at 6, and we doze until 7ish if I'm lucky. It's been up and down a bit, but we seem to have settled into this routine--lucky us.

Daytime: he's not a great napper, and won't really let me put him down to nap. He takes a 1/2 hr or so nap in the morning around 9, and maybe another catnap at 11 or 12 (while one of us holds him, usually). If we're in the car he'll sleep much better, so sometimes I drive around for a while or sit in the car after we get home to let him sleep. I usually lie down with him in the afternoon so he gets a good 2-hr nap, from 3-5 or so. (I try not to sleep then, unless I had an early morning or a bad night--can't get to sleep at night if I do!)

Hmm, daily total--I guess about 14-15 hours. ds will be 5 months next week.

It's pretty set. Bath at 6:15ish. (He really loves it.) PJs & diaper and put the bath stuff away. Then we head to the living room--start nursing and give him his medicine (he has reflux and hates the stuff, so I squirt it in while he's nursing). Then nurse properly and burp/back rub. If he's somewhat awake, we'll read a story, though usually he's too sleepy. Then it's night-night to daddy, and I rock and sing to him for a little while (2 minutes?) in his room. When he's getting really sleepy, but before he's asleep all the way, I kiss him, say the magic words ("Good night, I love you, go to sleep") and put him down. He rolls over onto his tummy and goes right to sleep. This is new, but a great thing. I date his good nighttime sleeping, by the way, to when he was able to roll over both ways and choose to sleep on his tummy. Oh, and getting a white noise machine--crucial.

HTH! We've been lucky with him, obviously, though like I said it comes and goes. We've had some rough patches of hourly wakings and refusals to go to bed, but for the most part he's really easy. (Hope I'm not jinxing it!) The naps are a struggle, but I'm trying to be zen about it and hope that he'll sleep on his own when he's ready.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 05-22-2006, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
At our house we put J to bed around 9pm. 'We' is whoever has a free hand, could be mom, dad, 15yosis or 14yobro. He sleeps in his crib until about 1am, which is when dh and I go to bed and usually while we are lying there talking he starts to stir. He gets in bed with us to nurse and sleep the rest of the night.

We don't have any kind of routine - we're just not schedule people.

He naps in his crib around 9:30 to 11am, sometimes as much as two & 1/2 hrs, and then again a couple times in the afternoon but for 45min to an hour.

So that's about 16 hours and he's 3 1/2 mos.

BUT he's my fourth and none of my others EVER slept in a crib or laid down for naps like he does. I thought all kids were bad sleepers and anyone who had a 'good' sleeper was just lying to make me feel bad!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaris

We are having problems over here, so I want to try to get some ideas from people regarding schedules, rhythms, etc... Thanks everyone.
Wakes for the day at 7:30am, takes a nap late morning, takes a nap mid-afternoon, sometimes takes a nap late afternoon, goes to bed around 9:30 with me. Naps usually run 1-2 hours, they used to be a lot shorter though.

No bedtime routine : i want to do one, but just can't find the energy at the end of the day! DS goes to sleep fine now though.

What kind of problems are you having? How old is your baby? There is a lot of good advice on the nighttime parenting forum too, FYI.

raising my two sunshine children.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:32 AM

Give or take an hour: My babe sleeps from around 0900-1100, then 1400-1600. We start our evening routine around 1815 and she is generally asleep around 1900. She does not nurse at night and she usually wakes between 0600 and 0700.

Daily total is about 15-16 hours and dd is almost 6 months old.

We make it a point to be home every night by 1800 no matter what. Dd gets extremely cranky if she doesn't go to bed on time. Our routine consists of me or dh (we alternate nights) putting dd in her pjs, feeding her, and rocking her while reading a book or singing. She is still awake when we put her in her crib. (we initially co-slept, but found that did not work out for us due to very early work schedules and her waking EVERY time one of us rolled over or snorted in our sleep).

We did not decide this "schedule" for dd. She sort of led us in this direction and we followed. It took us awhile to catch-on to her cues, but we eventually figured it out. Sometimes she still needs to be swaddled for naps or bedtime to help calm her down. She also sucks her thumb at night to "self-soothe" and we give her a binky during naptime, as for some reason she does not suck her thumb at this time (maybe 'cause it's swaddled up for most naps).
Old 05-22-2006, 01:38 AM

This is all very interesting! Your babies all go to sleep so nice and early.

>>When does your baby sleep? (What times, and for how long?)
She goes to bed at about 11 pm, wakes up in the morning at 7 am. Nurses in the night, of course, and sleeps with us. Then she takes three naps, usually around an hour each, or more: midmorning, mid-afternoon, evening.

>>What's the daily total, and what age is your child?
So that makes only about 13 hours max. She's 7 months.

>>What's your bedtime routine?
Yoga ball! When she gets sleepy, I bounce her. Usually she wants to suck on her "pacifier" -- i.e., my pinky finger. Or if she's hungry, she might nurse to sleep.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 AM

When does your baby sleep?

My 9mos. old sleeps about 9-10:30am and 1-2:30pm, for 3hrs nap time and 7:00pmish-7:00amish for 12hrs bed time
(with plenty to a couple wake ups/nursings)

I guess this is about 14-15 hours total - 9 mos

Last hours are spent - going for a walk outside or bath - pjs's NT/diaper - reading books - nursing - sleep

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
Old 05-22-2006, 02:40 AM

We usually get DD to bed between 7 and 8pm. Sometimes she falls asleep earlier, like tonight she was out by 630pm. She may get up once during the night to bottle feed, usually after 8 hours and then will usually sleep until 6am, sometimes till 8am.

Maybe 14 or 15 hours.

I usually give her a bath by 6pm. I haven't been good about reading to her and I need to get better at that. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. She usually has a bottle by about 7pm but no later than 8pm. We rock her a little bit and then lay her down. She'll fuss a few times but puts herself back to sleep.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:57 AM

When does your baby sleep? (What times, and for how long?) Sleep is a source of frustration in our house. We have nighttimes down to a science (he goes to bed for the night between 6 and 7, awakes once to eat and gets up for the day around 5. Naps are another story. We tey to get him to nap in mid morning and again in the afternoon. But success is about 50:50. He will only nap if he is eating or if he is in the car. If he falls asleep in the car and it's possible, we just sit in the car until he wakes up. If he sleeps from eating, we hold him till he wakes up.

What's the daily total, and what age is your child? G is 9 months. I'd say he gets about 12 hours of sleep a day. I think he needs more though. (or maybe I need more )

What's your bedtime routine? We go for one last trip around the block in his push car, G eats supper/solids then we go up and take a bath. He gets into his jammies and we play some on the bed. If he's up for it, we go back downstairs where G and Dh spend time vegging out together (looking at books, playing with the remote control, jumping...) once he's ready I take him up to our room, I always play a lullyby cd while he eats his night-night bottle and rock him fast asleep. Once he's asleep, I put him in his crib.

I think we probably do many things 'wrong' because there is no way in hell, G is going to accept being put to bed while still awake!

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Old 05-22-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I have a two month old. I don't know what his daily total amount of sleep is; I don't really keep track. He is just starting to be awake longer and to sleep longer stretches instead of just cat napping. Basically, I let him sleep when he's tired. He doesn't sleep for too long when he's put down somewhere... although he will occasionally sleep for a couple hours in his carseat carrier after a ride in the car.

This is what happens at night. I nurse the baby, while dh gives ds1 a bath. Ds1 used to always get stories after the bath, but since the baby was born, he wants to skip ahead to mama's milk. After the bath, I give ds2 to dh and lay down to nurse ds1 to sleep. Sometimes I fall asleep with him! Dh walks around with the baby, and gives him his finger or the pacifier to suck on (baby's just starting to take the pacifier). This is the baby's fussy time. Sometimes he falls right asleep on dh, other times it's a more fitful sleep, and other times he's fussing for a good portion of the time.

Then, I get up. What happens next depends on how long it took to get ds1 to sleep and how tired I am. If it's still early enough, or I'm not very tired, I will go downstairs and maybe watch tv with dh. I'll take the baby to nurse if he needs it. He'll usually nurse a little and fall asleep on me. Later, we'll go upstairs and change the baby into his night time diaper. Then we lay down in bed and I'll nurse the baby to sleep and I'll fall asleep. He'll wake a couple times a night to nurse, but we don't wake up much.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 AM

DD sleeps anywhere from 7:30-9pm til anywhere fom 6-8am; (includes waking to nurse 2-3x a night, but we co-sleep so both of us are only half awake). usually takes 3 naps--most last about an hour but some just 45 min and other times up to 1.5 hours

around 15 hours total; DD is 6.5 months

at night, we bath, get jammies on, and nurse to sleep. she doesn't nurse down for naps, though (don't know why, she just never can fall completely asleep that way during the day). for naps, we bounce on the edge of the bed while holding her tight and ssshhhing. then she'll sleep in my arms. it works for us! and mama gets some mdc time while looking at her sleeping babe
Old 05-22-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPM
This is all very interesting! Your babies all go to sleep so nice and early.
Yes, we discovered that the books were right--earlier bedtime does mean more & better sleep! But this was mostly baby-led: one week he suddenly went from being up until 9...or later...to being clearly sleepy between 7 and 8. (Same with letting himself be put down in the crib--just one day he decided it was ok!) This also coincided with sleeping for longer stretches at night--I think when they're overtired, they get jolts of adrenaline and other hormones that keep them from sleeping more deeply. We now watch his sleepy cues quite closely and act on them quickly. It got earlier and earlier and now is like clockwork at 7, though if he's missed his afternoon nap or had it early, sometimes he'll go down at 6:45 or so.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 05-22-2006, 11:00 AM

oops...double post...
Old 05-22-2006, 11:02 AM

sorry for repost--my mdc connection is on the fritz

Old 05-22-2006, 11:04 AM

edit

Old 05-22-2006, 11:17 AM

ugh

Old 05-22-2006, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
9:30 to 7:30, with various nightwakings, 9:00 to 11:45-ish for nap, and then 1-3:30-ish for nap

whats that, about 15-16 hrs? SHe is 7 months

change diaper, read book, nurse, sing song, in crib with mobile on, same for naps and bedtime.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:13 PM

Isabel goes to bed (in her crib, next to our bed) around 6:30-7:00 and usually sleeps until around midnite. Sometimes she wakes crying about an hour after she goes to bed, but she really doesn't need anything except falling back to sleep with mommy.

When she wakes around midnite, she spends the rest of the night with us. She wakes another 1-2 times, nurses for a few minutes, and goes back to sleep. Unless it's a night like last night where she woke around 2:30 and was wide awake for an hour or so before settling back to sleep.

She's usually up for good around 6. Sometimes more like 5:30, sometimes closer to 7. An hour or so after that she's showing tired signs so usually gets a 30-45 minute nap in. Then usually a 30-60 minute nap around noon and maybe a 30-45 minute nap around 3:00.

It looks like about 13.5 hours of sleep a day and she's 10.5 months

We usually have dinner around 5-5:30, then go for a nice long walk, then it's bath time (sponge bath most nights, sometimes a full bath). Sometimes we'll throw in a little "pool" time (there's a hot tub at the house we're renting, so we just keep it at 90 degrees for Isabel) between walk and bath. Then it's time to nurse until she gets feisty and then I give her tons of kisses, lay her down in her crib with a blankie and her bear, crank up her mobile, tell her I love her and leave the room. Usually she falls asleep without a peep before the mobile runs out. Sometimes it takes her a few minutes of babbling to her bear.

Naps never go that smoothly
Old 05-22-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Andrew goes to bed around 10-11 pm. He gets up between 9-10 am. His naps are all over the board--sometimes he takes several 45 minute naps, sometimes one 1 1/2-2 hour nap and one 15 minute power nap. I guess either way he's napping for approx. 2 hours during the day. So that's about 14 hours of sleep per 24 hour period, minus brief nightwakings.

One nap is always within 2 hours of waking up for the day. A second nap is early to mid afternoon and if there is a third it's generally in the early evening.

Our bedtime routine is loose. We change his diaper and put him in jammies, dh and I get into our jammies. We all climb in bed, dh reads Andrew a book and then we turn out the lights. Sometimes I will nurse him a little after the book but pretty much he falls asleep without any help. He wakes to nurse several times during the night, maybe 3 times.

Naptimes are different, he needs help falling asleep. I do the same thing every time; snuggle him with his naptime blanket and turn on lullabies, rock him. He usually fights naptime, arching his back and flailing around, but the blanket and lullabies are great cues because as soon as I put the blanket on him his eyes start rolling back and drooping. It's a small crochet afghan we only use for comfort when he's sleepy or not feeling well.

Andrew is 6 mo. old.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 PM

11pm/12am-10:30am,
12:30 nap for about 45 minutes
4:00 nap for about an hour, sometimes 2
occasional 'nurse nap' in the evening
It amazes me that she is so consistent about waking at 10:30am. Sometimes, she'll wake up a bit earlier, but it's rare. Dh and I are both night owls, so this works great for us!

ten months, 12-14 hours total

bath, quiet playtime, nurse. Rock in glider if she doesn't fall to sleep nursing. Usually nurse and/or rock in glider for naps. If it's bedtime and I've nursed her in bed and she doesn't fall to sleep, I'll just let her wiggle around and talk herself to sleep.

The timing and duration of her naps changes. I look for her sleeping signs and then usually notice that it's about the 'time.' That's made transitioning from 3 to 2 naps easy.

On her longer, second nap of the day, I sometimes find that she wakes up after about an hour, but isn't ready to be awake. I walk with her or sit in the glider and she'll drift back off for another hour.

Also, when she was tiny, I would get up at 7 when she woke to nurse, get breakfast and then sit down to nurse her. We would both fall back to sleep for 2 hours, so I eventually realized she wasn't ready for the day...and neither was I!

ellacy
dd 10 mo.

User Tag List