My baby cried 'til he PUKED tonight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2006, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And I don't do CIO! Honest John!

My husband is out walking him around the city right now. He's six months old. In the past week, he's gone to sleep (with me, nursing) at his usual times, around 7-8 pm. He sleeps for half an hour, and then he wakes up and he is MAD. He tries to sit up (does baby pilates), rolls around, and starts crying hard. He can't keep his little eyes open, he's so tired. But he's MAD about something.

Tonight, he kept crying and crying, no matter what we did - rocked him, tried to nurse (he pushes me away), sang, listened to his favorite music...just crying and crying until he threw up.

Nothing in the past week has changed except he has a minor cold. No ear infections, nothing else unusual.

So, do I just have a psycho pirate baby or someone else got one as well?

^3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2006, 02:52 AM

We've had one once or twice.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Well, did it stop within some reasonable timeframe? Did you jump off a bridge?

He is a very, very happy baby in the daytime. It is quite unusual for him, other than it reminds me of his colic days of yore (stopped by 5 weeks).
Old 05-23-2006, 03:01 AM

It's probably teething. My babe started doing this around 6 months. Try homeopathic chamomilla, you can either just slip some in his mouth or take 2 tablets and put a teaspoon of water till it dissolves then put it in his mouth.

If that doesn't work you could try Hyland's teething tablets, or other teething remedies.

He's probably in pain.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:08 AM

Reflux? Gas? Teeth? Hope he starts feeling better soon!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 05-23-2006, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Do you think? Wouldn't he be crabby in the daytime too? He naps really well still and everything...
Old 05-23-2006, 03:13 AM

dd was totally fine during the day, but would wake up screaming at night, it was definitely a pain type scream. Most growing happens at night.

She also wouldn't nurse sometimes. You could also try rubbing a tiny bit of alchohol on his gums sometimes that helps. Real alchohol like whisky or something, just dip your finger in it and rub his gums. (better than that nasty teething gel they sell in the store).
Old 05-23-2006, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
Well, did it stop within some reasonable timeframe? Did you jump off a bridge?

He is a very, very happy baby in the daytime. It is quite unusual for him, other than it reminds me of his colic days of yore (stopped by 5 weeks).
Yup and yup. Of course in my frnatic state of mind it seemed to last forever but it was a very short amount of time. We never did figure out what was wrng with her at that point in time but it only happened once or twice and then never again.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 AM

My dh did this yesterday! He had his morning feed at around 4.30 then started WAILING. Couldn't work out what was wrong then I kind of turned him to cuddle him better and he threw up a nice load of milk on my neck and in my hair I felt lovely.

He settled a bit after that but I think he had wind or something causing him pain. A cold could be causing a build up of phlegm which could cause tummy or intestinal pain. Some baby massage before bed might ease it.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:20 AM

DD did this two nights in a row about a month ago (she was 7 months then). I felt so terrible for her because it just seemed so out of the blue. We offered her a frozen wash cloth, some camilia (thinking it may be teething) and it really helped her out. When I layed her down I massaged her belly a bit to be sure it wasn't gas and then nursed her back to sleep. But, wow when she woke up I thought something terrible had happened.

Hope your little one is doing better this morning!

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

Old 05-23-2006, 09:53 AM

Maybe try putting him to bed earlier? We had this a couple times in the last few weeks with ds, and figured out that it happens when he's overtired (the waking up after 1/2 an hour seems like a sign of that). He is just inconsolable--won't nurse or anything. If we can get him to calm down, he conks out like he's exhausted. So maybe yours is telling you he now needs an earlier bedtime? Just a thought.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 05-23-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music-mommy
dd was totally fine during the day, but would wake up screaming at night
Same here. Days were bee-yoo-tiful, but I dreaded nights since they were worst... My ds got his first 2 teeth at 6 months, and it was awful..... All nighttime discomfort, nothing serious during the day.

I did consider jumping off a bridge, but merely threatened ds with walking into the lake behind our house (think 'The Awakening'). He didn't seem to care. I offered him a trip to Europe after he graduated; he didn't go to sleep to take me up on it - I plan to remind him when he's 18 why I am not funding the backpacking... I offered so many nice things if he would just Go TO Sleep and Let Mama Sleep! Please! - and he declined them all.

We woke up at the end of that awful week and found a tooth. More awfulness and another tooth at the end of the second week...

He's working on #8 right now...getting a little better....but whenever he's cranky at night, I do a tooth-check in the morning...

My empathy, mama. Your dc could be doing something completely different than teething....but the mama sleeplessness is the same! This too shall pass, right????!?

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 05-23-2006, 10:58 AM

I second that it might be teething ... as for only being at night, I think they're distracted during the day by everything that's going on, and at night they're just lying there feeling the pain. Maybe, lol.

The other thing that struck me was you said he was trying to sit up. I know that sleep disturbances can occur whenever a new milestone is being met (sitting up, rolling over, crawling, etc.). Baby half wakes up and tries to "practice". Maybe he's doing this and getting really frustrated and mad? Seems pretty extreme that he would cry hard enough to puke, though.

My dd went through some insane crying for a few nights a few months ago, but she had a pretty bad cold, and I think the congestion, difficulty breathing / nursing was really setting her off. It was horrible, though, because I was afraid there was something REALLY wrong with her -- even took her to the doc to have her ears checked. Went away when the cold did ...

Good luck, mama, and I hope you're getting better sleep soon.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=hopefulfaith]
I did consider jumping off a bridge, but merely threatened ds with walking into the lake behind our house (think 'The Awakening'). He didn't seem to care. I offered him a trip to Europe after he graduated; he didn't go to sleep to take me up on it - I plan to remind him when he's 18 why I am not funding the backpacking... I offered so many nice things if he would just Go TO Sleep and Let Mama Sleep! Please! - and he declined them all.
QUOTE]

My DH thinks I am the only one who says crazy stuff in the middle of the night. Last night we had two full hours of crying and nothing was working. I was fine for the first hour and then hour two came and just about lost it. It started out with me saying I wasn't going to be able to sing him his songs in the morning because I would be so tired...then moved to no longer paying for college! I am sort of enjoying my son this morning being so incredibly tired - I keep wanting to yell out - I told you so! If you had just fallen asleep you wouldn't hurt so bad this morning.

I feel your pain - and I feel a lecture coming from some about being the parent and the adult in the house!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

So he went into a deep sleep after my husband took him out for a walk at 10pm; and then he woke up again at 12:30 and I had to rock him, he was crying so hard. We got some tylenol in him (oh, i know, he's not going to have a liver anymore or whatnot; but the kid was freaking out). He fell asleep again, rocking by 1:30 am, and stayed asleep until 8. Poor baby.

I think there is something to the teething argument, because the tylenol helped so much. I got some Hyland's teething gel and we'll try that tonight. I'm also going to try the earlier bedtime...

I like the threats of no college. I'll try that one too.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:32 PM

No lectures here about being the parent and the adult in the house! I thought I waws the only one who saud crazy stuff at night when I have been exhausted beyond all limits. Good to know there are others! Good luck to the OP - I know it's hard.

User Tag List