Bawls when other babes cry...I'm frustrated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2006, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's getting so I can't be around other babies! Today I went to a talk and a baby there squawked -- not even a proper cry! My babe (7 mo) started sobbing and was inconsolable for a while, until I took her out where she could watch cars.

I hate it -- I can't stand seeing her so upset, plus it makes me feel so stressed. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 06:00 PM

I think there's the beginning of the idea of empathy when that happens. I'm sorry it's frustrating for you, I think there's something heartwarming in it. Of course, it can't be fun if it happens all the time. Maybe you can think proudly that your babe recognizes others' emotions?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:38 AM

About 7.5 months my DS started crying now and again when he heard another baby cry. Didn't matter if he saw the other baby or not.

Depending on his mood, he still does it.

I just usually comfort him and tell him its alright.

It is perfectly normal for them to go through it. I'm glad he is because I know that he is experiencing empathy for another person.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:06 AM

My DS did this when he was 5 months old until he reached about 9 months old. He stopped doing it for a while. He'd cry terribly. Now, he only cries "empathetically" if another baby is crying hard. I'd have to console him and take him out of the situation (to another room, etc)
Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 AM

Double post.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPM
It's getting so I can't be around other babies! Today I went to a talk and a baby there squawked -- not even a proper cry! My babe (7 mo) started sobbing and was inconsolable for a while, until I took her out where she could watch cars.

I hate it -- I can't stand seeing her so upset, plus it makes me feel so stressed. Is this normal?
Andrew does this too! I watch an 11 month old girl and it's not just when she cries--if she squawks or squeals or makes any sort of loud noise Andrew bursts into tears. Loud, bawling, inconsolable cries. It's really weird!!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:21 PM

My almost-18-month-old still does this occasionally. She mostly does it when the baby has been crying for awhile. It's like she gets distressed that the baby it distressed. She also clings to me even if she hadn't been prior to the baby crying. She does it even if she can't see the baby.

Mama of three.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:09 PM

my girls have started this with each other. It drives me nuts! It is so bad when I'm trying to feed one and another is crying.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 05-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Normal! It's sad. My DS is doing it, too. Don't feel you have to keep him away from other babies, though! Empathy is a good thing. It's okay for babies to run into sad experiences if their mamas are there to comfort them. It doesn't do them any favors to try to keep them from experiencing the full range of normal human emotions.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:58 PM

I recently read and wish I could find a study that showed that after 6 months, babies respond with fright/upset to the sound of another baby under the age of 18 months crying. They ignored older kids crying and weren't as scared by a fire engine siren. It suggested maybe it's some kind of survival instinct.

I guess I'm different from many who posted but I do try to keep things quiet around my baby.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad to find out we're not the only ones going through this. I hope it doesn't last months, though, god... Today I went to meet two mom friends in the park but had to come away almost immediately. I'm going to end up totally isolated! Plus it just makes me heart hurt to see her so upset, you know?

faeriewisp, if you think of where you saw that study, I'd love to know! Because, yes, she doesn't care at all about other loud sounds, just baby squawks.

User Tag List