Postpartum body - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post here, but I was wondering if any of you know anything about how to get rid of my hidious body. My pre pregnancy weight was 120, and I don't exsactly want to go that low, but I weigh 139 now, and I'd love to lose 9 more pounds and get my body back in shape. My thighs are bigger than ever and my stomach sags. My baby will be 1 month old in 3 days, so I'm sure it's ok to exercise by now. I breastfeed and I'm sure that helped me lose weight, plus I had preeclamsia, so I put on ALOT of water weight. Plus I have stretch marks all over my stomach and my upper thighs and on my upper part of my butt. Is there anythig I can do to rid of these soon, or will I have to wait for them to fade on their own. Please send some helpful advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 11:02 PM

i'm 10 months pp and just now getting to 5 lbs over my pre preg weight. my boobs are huge and my thighs are huge, plus i have a mommy belly. i work out daily and breastfeed and eat well and i think that is all you can do. at 4 weeks post partum i still looked very pregnant!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:10 PM

Your body spent nine months getting this way, so expect it to take nine months to get "back to normal". Of course, that is different now that you've had a babe. Some places may have gained a bit, while others have lost.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:12 PM

Hey Maybaby18. I, too, was around 120 pre-pregnancy and honestly, it wasn't until my babe started eating a fair amount of solids (around 9 months for him) that I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight...and things still aren't quite the same (he's weaned and now 14-months old). I don't mean to dishearten you though...most of my complaints are based on my lack of routine exercise. Sure, I chase him all day (I also eat to stay awake...yikes) and we go for walks but it's nothing like the muscle tone I had when I could practice yoga long and often. I sadly attribute my thighs touching to this... For stretch marks, the sooner you do something, the less noticeable they'll be. Cocoa butter and shea butter are both good and natural products stores sell products to prevent and fade them. Also, you could try something like Mederma...it's over-the-counter and pretty natural. And yes, you can add some exercise...just don't overdo it or your milk might change in taste (some babies don't care though). Just hang in there. The weight will come off...you're early in the game. Once the hormones clear out and you get some sleep, you'll feel better about what you have and can take it from there.
Best wishes!
jiva

: : :
ds1 3/05 ds2 5/07 dd 6/09
Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNote
Your body spent nine months getting this way, so expect it to take nine months to get "back to normal". Of course, that is different now that you've had a babe. Some places may have gained a bit, while others have lost.
: Give yourself time Mama. You just spent 9 mos bring life into the world, it can take some time. I am 10 mos postpartum and still a good 20lbs over where I was pre-pregnancy and up until a monthg afo dd has lil solids and was EBF. It takes time.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:13 AM

i'm definitely on the 9 months on, 9 months off plan . it's all good, though, as i'm very aware of the impact of fast weight loss on milk supply. the weight loss has been fairly steady for me, which is incredible considering i was very sedentary up until about 8 weeks ago because i had to have surgery. once i was cleared, i started working out regularly with walking, swimming and light weight lifting, and just this past week people have been commenting that they can notice that i've lost some pounds. i'm still about 11 pounds over my pre-preg weight and about 15 pounds over my optimal weight.

one interesting thing though is that i am only one dress size above my pre-preg size. i think i might end up retaining some extra pounds even though i'll be back in my pre-preg clothing because my breasts are considerably larger than they were before. not necessarily a bad thing .

hang in there, mama! also, with your postpartum exercise program, please be very careful and don't overdo it, especially in the beginning. our bodies are quite vulnerable in the postpartum phase due to hormones shifting, and there are things like pelvic organ prolapse that can be avoided by slowly and mindfully starting an exercise program. i am speaking from personal experience on this one, please don't push yourself too much initially.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybaby18
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post here, but I was wondering if any of you know anything about how to get rid of my hidious body. My pre pregnancy weight was 120, and I don't exsactly want to go that low, but I weigh 139 now, and I'd love to lose 9 more pounds and get my body back in shape. My thighs are bigger than ever and my stomach sags. My baby will be 1 month old in 3 days, so I'm sure it's ok to exercise by now. I breastfeed and I'm sure that helped me lose weight, plus I had preeclamsia, so I put on ALOT of water weight. Plus I have stretch marks all over my stomach and my upper thighs and on my upper part of my butt. Is there anythig I can do to rid of these soon, or will I have to wait for them to fade on their own. Please send some helpful advise.
one month out you're doing GREAT!!!!! I weighed 107 when i got prego, 154 3 days before i delivered and i am at 125ish now....and my baby is 14 months old!!!! take your baby for daily walks but be careful not to over due it! the weight will come off if your active, eat healthy, drink enough water, and most importantly WHEN IT'S READY TO GO!!! I didnt really start feeling better about the way i was looking until christmas time....so that was 9 months after i delivered!

i know everyone says it takes 9 months to get rid of all the weight but realisticly it could take longer.....i still have about 10lbs to lose before i will be happy with my body again...

for the stretch marks i had them ALL OVER.....i lathered on the palmers cocobutter loation and the only place i have stretch marks now is on my love handles but those have been there sence i lost weight durring my "college rest" time
Old 05-26-2006, 02:02 AM

I weighed 125 pre-preg, got up to 170 right at birth (I gained lots of water weight. Yuck to squishy feet : ), and went down to 140 right after, Sadly I am 135 right now and dd is 10 months old. Yeah I haven't really gone to work out, but I walk a lot and now that it's summer, we'll be swimming a lot. I still have a pudge and strectch marks on my stomach and thighs. I use cocoa butter and it's slowly helping.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:33 AM

You're already doing much better than me and I'm 6 months pp now. I gained 90lbs, lost 20 righ after birth and I've been stuck since. People are saying that I look like I'm loosing weight but the scale says I'm not so I don't know if I'm gaining muscle as I loose the weight (I've been working out recently) or if they're just trying to make me feel good Now that it's summer it's easier to get out for walks and you will naturally eat less. At 1 month pp though, sit back and enjoy your babe, working out and diets right now really isn't a very good idea although going for walks and eating healthy is good for you all around.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:50 AM

Oh, sweety, I remember what I felt like when I was in your place. I just felt ripped up one side and down the other. My belly had mass amounts of stretch marks I hadn't seen until the birth, and I had a dark line right down the center, and nothing went back together properly. Everything was saggy and falling apart, and my hips hurt, and my insides felt like they were floating all around. I even came on MDC and cried about it and mamas came and told me that it would be better, and I cried because it didn't feel like it would.

It *will* get better, though. Your body will heal. It'll never be your prebaby body again. But then- you'll never be your prebaby self again, either, y'know? I found that strength training (after about 4 months) really helped my abs kinda firm back up- but be prepared to have NOTHING there. Take it easy. Don't push it. And just know that you have a lot of healing to do still.

Julia
Old 05-26-2006, 11:11 AM

I remember those early pp days...it's so hard not to think your body will just spring right back after the baby is born. Hang in there - it WILL get better. I think I started seeing a difference five months pp...DS will be 2 in August and I'm probably right back where I was before I got pregnant with him.

Just give it a bit more time...and it's really true about the 9 month rule of thumb. Take care, mama!!
Old 05-26-2006, 11:34 AM

My body is not the same as before I had a baby, but I have to say that I am happier with my body than I ever have been before. My son (my 2nd baby) is now 13 months, and I am about 5 lbs lower than my pre-preg weight (I'm at about 125 right now). We're still breastfeeding. I have been exercising; doing some cardio, but most importantly--attending a fun natural lifting class. I have muscles! I have visible abs! And I am really strong. I feel great!

My breasts are longer, lower, and not as perky. They will never be that way again. I have some stretch marks. But I look and feel great! I actually had to go buy a new sexy bikini for the summer

I did start my pregnancies in-shape, and have a pretty high fitness level. But I did not really start exercising until DS was about 3 or 4 months old, I just couldn't keep my pee in until then. But over time your body will just start to change and begin to go back to closer to how it was before the baby. I felt pretty good about how I looked at about 7 months, and that also was when I started lifting. Good luck! be patient. I know it is hard.

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
Old 05-26-2006, 09:39 PM

I know how you feel. I was 118 pre-preg and gained 60 pounds!!!! So far I've lost 34, but that still leaves a lot to go. I'm 13 weeks post-partum. It's going to take some time so don't beat yourself up over it. I just bought a treadmill at a garage sale last week and have been running on it. I'm already seeing results, but it's still wicked slow to come off.
It is hard, but just give it time.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
Old 05-26-2006, 10:17 PM

Im in the same boat as I had pre-e. I lost 35 lbs. in the first week and a half because of all the dang fluid!

My MW recommended that Mederma stuff for the stretch marks. If they are reddish, you can try it. Once they become silvery white, there is nothing that can be done for them.

I've heard Mederma doesn't work, but i'm trying it anyhow. Its about $13 a tube though and the directions say you have to put it on 3-4 times a day for 3-6 months. JEEZ.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:19 PM

OP, I'd go lightly until after my 6 week check up. Sheesh! Be easy on yourself---you JUST had that cute little baby! With all three of mine, I tend to lose the weight from about four months until one year, gradually, over that time period.

You also need to read up on going from Maiden to Mother, and being joyful about that. Remember that the culture you live in is not exactly indicative of the rest of the world's opinion on women's attractiveness.

User Tag List