when did you stop swaddling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you just swaddle as long as dc like it or at an age or what? I can'r remember when ds1 stopped maybe around 7 months? But its getting hit here, and I don't know how to swaddle and keep ds cool. But he is only 4 months and seems to still really need it.
#2 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 04:07 PM

At 6 or 8 weeks we realized ds didn't like his arms in anymore, so we swaddled him armpits down. Then about 2 weeks later we stopped doing that, since his kicking to get out was stopping the sleep.
So I guess my answer is about 2 1/2 months or something like that.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#3 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 04:11 PM

My ds2 is 11 months now and I occassionally still swaddle him because he sometimes seems to need help keeping his arms still enough to go to sleep. I normally unwrap him when I take the two of us to bed.

DS1 had to be swaddled for much, much longer. I swaddled him until 24 months and only stopped then because I was expecting ds2 and knew that a lot of people would be in the house to help after the birth, and I didn't want to deal with getting scolded for his still needing to be swaddled to sleep. He still likes to wrap himself up in blankets when he goes to sleep and he sleeps fitfully, I think he's sleep better if he were still swaddled now, at 35 months

To keep my ds's cool in hot weather I would swaddle with them in just a diaper. Also, both of my ds did not mind having only their top swaddled (just arms) and I could open up the blanket around their legs to keep them cooler. With my ds2 I have used a light blanket since the weather warmed up but ds1 had to have the same polarfleece blanket everytime and so I just watched him to make sure he was cool. In our bed I didn't cover him with our covers.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#4 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 04:12 PM

I stopped swaddling at around 1 month. I've always heard you should stop when they start trying to reach out, because that's a learning thing for them. I still wrapped my boys in blankets, just more loosely.
#5 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 04:12 PM

DD wantedd to be swaddled until 4 or 5 months. I actually had to "wean" her off the swaddle when I couldn't find any more blankets big enough to go around her. We started by taking one arm out for a few nights, then the other, then made the blanket around her body looser and looser until no more blanket.
Each baby is diferent and will tell you when they don't like it anymore I'm sure.
DD#1 didn't like it at all!
#6 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden
At 6 or 8 weeks we realized ds didn't like his arms in anymore, so we swaddled him armpits down. Then about 2 weeks later we stopped doing that, since his kicking to get out was stopping the sleep.
So I guess my answer is about 2 1/2 months or something like that.

Dawn
That's how my DD was, too. It was very helpful those first few weeks - esp. while she still had the startle reflex - but after that, she was done and didn't like it anymore.

If your babe still likes it, maybe try switching to a really thin gauzy blanket with minimal clothing under in the warmer weather.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#7 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 08:08 PM

maybe 3 months? It seems like so long ago

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#8 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy

To keep my ds's cool in hot weather I would swaddle with them in just a diaper. Also, both of my ds did not mind having only their top swaddled (just arms) and I could open up the blanket around their legs to keep them cooler. With my ds2 I have used a light blanket since the weather warmed up but ds1 had to have the same polarfleece blanket everytime and so I just watched him to make sure he was cool. In our bed I didn't cover him with our covers.
nak
one of my twins still really prefers swaddling. he's 8 months. we handle the heat as above, though I do worry about it still.

we currently only swaddle for naps in an effort to "wean"him from swaddling, but i'm thinking od starting bedtime swaddling again, because his sleep is so much better when he is swaddled.

Trying to get my bearings...
#9 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 10:18 PM

My son didn't like to be swaddled from day one. He would kick and squirm until he was free and then drift off to sleep....to each his own, I guess.
jiva

: : :
ds1 3/05 ds2 5/07 dd 6/09
#10 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 10:39 PM

my dd is almost 13 months and still needsto be swaddled for naps and bedtime. she just can't concentrate on sleeping if her arms can move....
#11 of 11 Old 05-27-2006, 11:24 PM

I never swaddled any of my kids. Am I a weirdo?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page