Baby headaches? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do you tell if your baby has a headache? My 10 month old dd has been hitting herself in the head and rubbing it all day long. She woke up with a 102 fever this morning, it broke with Motrin then spiked again to 103.4. I'm worried because she had a vax reaction in the past week. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds like a headache to me...
i dont know what to tell you, we dont do medication or vaxxes so i dont know what youd do.

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#3 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 12:46 AM

post this in the vax board, they can probably help

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#4 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 AM

Generally speaking, we don't give DD mainstream medicines. But if my baby had a headache so bad that she was hitting herself in the head, I'd give her a dose of infant pain reliever. If you suspect a vax reaction, you should probably talk to her doctor. I am fairly sure that they have a system for reporting bad reactions, though I don't know how well or often it is used.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#5 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 AM

Well, I wouldn't use a fever reducer, but I also wouldn't have vaccinated. I would guess it's a vaccine reaction. Head banging is a pretty common one- and scary IMO as it shows neurological involvement.

-Angela
#6 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 02:39 AM

Oh I'm so sorry for you and your dd!! That is sad! When were her vaxs? Symptoms are usually from right after to 3 days. It is always possible that it it from that but if it has been more than 3 days it is less likely. I'd call your doc tomorrow and check on that but I think you should certainly use some Tylenol or Motrin if you can tell she is in that much pain, especially with a fever. My dd also hits herself in the head sometimes, usually while nursing, I had not thought of it as a headache, I'll have to pay attention and see if it seems like one. Well I certainly hope her fever comes down and she starts feeling better soon. I'd call the doc tomorrow either way and check in. If her fever stays at 103 or goes higher I'd call the doc tonight if you have on call service and if you feel it is needed I'd take her to the hospital rather than worry all night. Dd had terrible vax reactions so we started doing them only one at a time and it is MUCH better this way. Maybe that would help. for you and for your daughter.

Oh, and if her fever doesn't break with Tylenol or Motrin and she is atleast 3 months old you can do Tylenol and then 2 or 3 hours later do Motrin, then 2-3 hours later do Tylenol and so on. We had to do this when dd had RSV and had a very high fever. Scary stuff! Just keep offering her the breast so she stays hydrated and best of luck to you both.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#7 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Well, I wouldn't use a fever reducer, but I also wouldn't have vaccinated. I would guess it's a vaccine reaction. Head banging is a pretty common one- and scary IMO as it shows neurological involvement.

-Angela
I wouldn't call it head banging, I picture a child banging their head against something. She was not doing that.

I hate that I have to explain myself here, but I'm tired of all the judgment.

I do not like vaccinations, and delayed until this reaction. Now, I'm not planning on vaccinating anymore for any of my children. I filed a VAERS report already. As for fever reducers, I don't generally use them unless the fever is high, like over 102. I don't believe in medicating for every little thing and I think fevers in general are a good thing. So, please don't sit on your high horse and tell me "well I would never..." if you have nothing helpful to say, then don't say anything.

Sarahn4639-the vax she had a reaction to was DTaP

#8 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 01:15 PM

102 is not a high fever in a little one. Somewhere around here (maybe on the vax board) is a chart of fevers for babies and toddlers. A HIGH fever would definitely need to be over 104 in a baby/toddler, just FYI. The one fever my dd had flirted with 105 and I never medicated her. I'm sorry you're feeling judged.

She's hitting her head. On purpose. Sounds like head banging to me. I'd add that to your VAERS report.

-Angela
#9 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 02:17 PM

Hope your baby is feeling better. You might want to look at some homeopathics - one for the fever (Belladonna or Pusatilla) and Thuja is good for helping with vaccine reactions. Worth a try in my mind. I treat my childen almost completely with homeopathics and they are very effective.

As for the head hitting, my non-vaxed year old son pats/hits his head when he is tired. Its not head banging. I think it is normal, at least for him. It could be that your baby is just feeling unwell and that is her way of communicating that.

Take care, momma.

Christine
#10 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I'm pretty new to the whole homeopathic remedy thing. It's hard for me to go buy that stuff when we get allopathic medicines for free through our insurance. Money is tight and dh has a cow if I buy pricey stuff from the healthfood store. I know it's no excuse....

I know she is feeling poorly, and has been since she had her shot last Monday. I have an appt with her ped tomorrow, I will bring up her reactions to her then.

#11 of 11 Old 05-31-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama!
So, please don't sit on your high horse and tell me "well I would never..." if you have nothing helpful to say, then don't say anything.
I agree, when we come to these boards looking for help, please offer help not judgment. That helps noone. I believe if we (the collective we) feel we are judged for our decisions IRL and we come here looking for comradery and support it should be available and when we don't agree we just let it go and say nothing.

I hope your daughter is feeling better today and I believe that is the vax my dd had a problem with also. We are not doing it again either. Good job filing the vax report, too few people do that!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page