"Must-have" baby gear you hate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I can get a good response here. My dh thinks I'm nuts, my family just doesn't get it, and his family is just impossible.
Does anyone else hate baby monitors? Baby swings? Pacifiers? Cribs, "play"pens, baby gyms, toys with lights and batteries, etc? I've been given two baby monitors, that I refuse to use. I'm being pushed pretty hard to use a swing and a crib, but I guess I can budge a bit on those. But I can't bring myself to use a pacifier. I've been told to teach him now so he'll know how to use it later. Honestly how long does it take to teach a baby how to use a pacifier? I won't use it, but I know DH will want to when DS gets old enough to not need me constantly and DH is put in charge for a few hours.
I'd really like some input on this so I can see where I stand among sane women/parents.
#2 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 01:49 PM

Paci's shouldn't be used until they are older. It impedes Bfing. Swings are your discretion. If you want a minute without slinging or wearing your babe in a wrap it's nice to have a swing or bouncy seat. I used a monitor ONCE. I had to do yard work and DD was sleeping. Normally I'd just take her out with me but I didn't want to scoop poop in the rain wiht her outside that day. I opted to do it while she was sleeping. Cribs pack and plays etc are whatever you want them to be. I have a friend who uses her pack and play as a changing station on her main level because she and ALL her children's rooms are upstairs.

FYI Daddy's pinky nail side down works 1000x better than any old paci. DH used to do this with DD when he came home from work. They'd take a nap together with his pinky in her mouth. It was the sweetest thing in the world.
#3 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishwithabike
FYI Daddy's pinky nail side down works 1000x better than any old paci. DH used to do this with DD when he came home from work. They'd take a nap together with his pinky in her mouth. It was the sweetest thing in the world.
Yeah, this is what we do now, but DH doesn't like doing it. He's already asked me If I expect him to pacify ds this way when he's big enough to spend a day with dad alone. It doesn't bother me to let ds suck on my finger for as long as he needs to, but I guess it bothers dh.
#4 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 PM

I hate all that stuff too, except baby moniotrs. We do cosleep but I like them for naps and when dd is sleeping before we got to bed.

Plus, it isn't necessary. We have a swing, crib, pack and play, etc. None of it got used except the change table part of the pack and play. We sold our crib finally, and I think people are a little bewildered over that.

I also hate strollers (I know there are legitimate uses for them). I just personally don't like them. I find them cumbersome. My baby never liked them, so I had to hold or wear her anwyays, etc.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#5 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubator
Yeah, this is what we do now, but DH doesn't like doing it. He's already asked me If I expect him to pacify ds this way when he's big enough to spend a day with dad alone. It doesn't bother me to let ds suck on my finger for as long as he needs to, but I guess it bothers dh.
Awww. That's sad. I am sorry he feels this way about it. (((((HUGS))))) Mama
#6 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:07 PM

when your baby is big enough to spend a day without you, he likely won't need to be sucking as much, assuming you aren't going back to work any time soon. I went back at 6 weeks and 10 weeks with my first two, and DH occaisionally used a paci for DS, but he still wouldn't let him put him down to use it. If your dh thinks a binky will substitute for holding and comforting the baby, he's in for a big suprise.
#7 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:08 PM

I love our baby monitor. I'm using it right now. With a noisy older child, dd can't get a good nap unless she's in another part of the house where she can't hear us. She just doesn't sleep well in the sling and needs total quiet, so I'm respecting her needs. My ds loved to sleep on me though. Every babe is different, you know? And it depends on the size of your house and whether or not you plan to visit others who may have a place far away from your ears for your child to sleep. Think about yourself in two years... will you be slinging your toddler for his naps? If so, then you probably won't need the monitor. But if not, then I'd keep it around. When dd was little, she'd nap in the sling, but as she got older (like around 3 months) she needed a quieter environment than my ds was willing to give her.

As far as the crib goes, we're taking it down. It holds extra pillows and takes up too much room. Our pack and play was good because it had a changing table on it for middle of the night changes. But we don't do that anymore so it's gone.

She didn't like the swing, but I appreciated the bouncy seat when I was cooking and didn't want her to get splattered, or if my back/arms needed a break or to change my son's poopie diaper. I think some gadgets are ok as long as they're used wisely/when needed and not as a place to stick the baby all the time.

Pacifiers... I'm not sure where I stand on them. Neither of my kids ever wanted one. Ds took a finger in a pinch. Dd won't take anything but the boob (or dh's arm!)

Toys with lights and batteries.... they usually end up being returned or don't get batteries!
#8 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:10 PM

dc will probably start rejecting the finger in a month or two - ours did, and she was a BIG pinky-paci user. we hate pacifiers and won't use them but do what you have to do. all i'm going to say is that our dd found her thumb/fingers at around 3 months and she sucks on them when she needs to suck, so don't get all freaked out that you are denying your baby his need to suck. there are some on this board who would call you "cruel" for NOT using a paci, as i have found out. :

i don't begrudge anyone a place to set the kid down while you pee, wash a dish, or eat your dinner, so in my book a swing, bouncer, jumperoo, bumbo, exersaucer, etc are fine as long as the kid likes being in then and is not in there for hours on end. hint: you don't need one of each, and try to borrow them instead of buy them becauser many babies (like mine) do not lilke to stay in anything for more than five minutes, which makes these things a big waste of money.

i personally think all the 'must have' breastfeeding gear is a HUGE waste of money. it's like all the bottle companies wanted to be able to sell us bf'ing mamas SOMETHING so they invented a bunch of useless bf'ing gear: pads, creams, etc. nursing pillows are another waste, imo. use a rolled up blanket - it forms to your body more and you probably already have one. nursing clothes? please. just pull your shirt up. unless of course you are a millionaire.

anything that purports to make your baby smarter is also a load of cr@p - flashcards, videos, whatever. read any introductory developmental psychology textbook and you will understand that those are not the way babies learn things. your babe will learn everything s/he needs through normal daily interaction and observation and playing - you don't need flashcards and videos.
#9 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

I wish that DH "got it". He doesn't understand, I guess, that when we decided to have kids I knew what I was getting into. I think that DS only being consolable by either dh or myself is sweet, something that will only last a little while, and then he'll grow up and want to be left alone. I don't mind rocking him myself instead of putting him in a swing, even if it takes HOURS, (and it does). And I don't just want to put him on the floor with a baby gym over him, I should be down there with him. Isn't that what I asked for when I wanted a baby? Why doesn't DH "get it". I feel bad if DS is even awake and alert but just staring at nothing, I HAVE to be next to him then. It would be easier if DH wanted to share these responsibilities to our son, but I'll do it alone it that's what it takes to keep our son from being raised by objects, rather than myself.
#10 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:14 PM

We do use a monitor. Our house is two story and arranged strangely. It helps me make sure that dd never awakes alone (which she HATES)

Swing- eh. I never felt the swing love. We had one. My mom thought they were great. DD never really got into it. It was used a handful of times.

Playpen- never had one.

Crib- never had one.

Pacifier- wouldn't allow them in my house. (same with bottles)

-Angela
#11 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:19 PM

I loves me bouncy chairs. I keep one in the bathtub, so I can pee hands free, and one downstairs so I can cook.
Sometimes.

My pet hate is the disposable nappy. And bibs for tiny babies.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#12 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:20 PM

baby monitors? - love it. if I put him down for a nap, I want to be able to hear him. He's a year old, I don't nap with him anymore, and he likes to nap by himself...especially as the weather is getting hotter. Didn't need it in the early months, but absolutely need it now.

Baby swings? - also love it. we dont' have a crib, and as I said, he doesn't like to be held for naps anymore, so we use our old swing (the papasan style one) to put him down for naps. No batteries in it, he just likes the shape of the swing, and I can do the leg straps and not worry about him falling out, like if I put him on the bed for a nap. It was also good to have in the early months, as I have an older child and sometimes I needed to put the baby down somewhere safe (I will not cook with him in the sling, for instance).

Pacifiers? Again, yes. When my ds needed to comfort suck, sometimes he didn't want to eat and would SCREAM and get super angry if he wanted to suck and milk came out. I could not always sit there with my finger in his mouth, so he took a pacifier on occassion for about 3 months. Doesn't care for one now unless his teeth are especially bothering him, he'll gnaw on one for a bit. Also, I had to do things like pick up my daughter from school, and when my ds hated the car, a pacifier would calm him down.

Cribs, "play"pens, baby gyms - had a "mat" that had stuff over the top of it for when he was laying on his back or tummy time, but other than that, none of those things. Neither of my kids have ever had a crib or playpen.

toys with lights and batteries, etc? - we have some of those, but mostly he likes board books he can chew on, and everything in my pot/pan/tupperware drawer. I don't have a "ban" on them, but I let family know we prefer wood and things that don't use batteries.
#13 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:21 PM

I hate toys with lights and sounds and batteries. My husband's family are constantly talking about how great they are... SOOOOOO educational

We've never allowed them for the girls, reminded them that when DS was born that we still don't allow them..... so MIL gave DS an electronic talking book for Easter. :sigh
#14 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:21 PM

I am a bottle feeding mom so I was able to use a pacifier after I gave breast feeding a good ol college try and failed misserably. I personally like them because down the line you can take a pacifier away but that thumb you can never get rid of so when its socially unacceptable its nice to be able to sensably wean a child off of a pacifier. Also thumbs as far as my research has told me, have a significant higher rate of pushing their gums forward causing buck teeth which now parent wants for their child. Pacifiers CAN cause it but seem to be less likely to. Medical Research has also linked pacifier use to reducing SIDS in infants...one GREAT reason to use it! Hope this helps
#15 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:25 PM

I hate the jumpy seat thingies, and all the stupid toys with lights and noise and music....we bought ds a good old fashioned swing for outside, and now they have this newer model with blinking lights and music---what the heck for?!

I remember we went shopping at Toys R Us to get ds a b-day present when he was 1, and I just wanted to buy him some blocks....plain ole' wooden blocks...not blocks with lights, blocks with toys inside of the, or blocks that sing to you....just the BLOCKS! We finally found some in the tiny little 'old fashioned' toy section, and they cost an arm and a leg. Grrr..........
#16 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:30 PM

when I was pregnant a friend of mine told me that I had to have a swing, a bouncy seat, oragel (why did I have to get that when I was preganat? still dont have any actually...), diaper rash cream... other people told me I needed a crib and a stroller.

I figured all I really needed were some diapers, and a carseat. I also got some reciving blankets for the birth that I figured I might use later, and some pfs to use as spit cloths (I have issues with being covered in spit/misc goo). I also bought some clothes (it was winter, might come in handy. , plus they were cute), an isis, and some other little stuff like that.

Since she was born we dont really have much for her. My husband got a diaper pail and a wipes warmer. I bought her a little toy mirror thing that has wheels that have bells in them (she likes looking in the big mirror). I also got her a johnny jump up because he favorite thing right now is to stand and I thought perhaps she would like to stand and jump and sorta tip toe around. she is much smaller then its made for though and doenst like it much for that reason. but she will play in for a min while I sit there with her. I keep thinking about selling it since she will prolly be walking by the time she is big enough for it to fit her properly.

I dont care for the boppy. its much too low to be of any help.

I have never used the stroller my mil bought for us. I did put it together because I enjoy 3d puzzles but since then it has sat in the spare bedroom.

I really dont have a whole lot of 'baby gear'. really the things I use every single day are: lact aid, diapers, carriers, spit cloths, diaperpail, and I try to use the isis everyday but it doenst happen. Things I use in a given week would be: lact aid, isis, diapers, wipes, wipe warmer, carriers, diaper pail, spit cloths, carseat, clothes.
#17 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:31 PM

I personally don't think BABIES need any of these things, but sometimes mama's do. We use the monitor so I can hear them before the wailing stage and DS1 is way to loud for ds2 to sleep (or nurse) in peace. I use an exercauser as much as they like it, ds1 loved it, but ds2 will only tolerate it for a few min, so I take him out as soon as he starts to fuss. We didn't botehr with a crib/packnplay/ etc. Nor did we ever use a paci. DS1 would nurse untill the cows came home, ds2 is all buisness with the boob but sucks his fingers. I think its all about balancing their needs/personality with yours. I am not a big "player" so my ds 1 goes to preschool so that he can run his sillies out with other kids, and when they were little I let them play alone as much as they would and then just carted them around on my hip doing my own things when they wanted to be held.
#18 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:32 PM

To be fair, I had/have a lot of these things and don't "hate" them, nor would I "hate" them if I didn't have them and someone else loved them and found them useful.

I love my boppy pillow...sure, I could roll up a blanket, but now I don't have to. I just grab the pillow and pop it over my lap. It's comfortable and wonderful.

I love the baby monitor but didn't use it until dd1 was 3. DD2 kept her awake at night, so we closed DD1's door, put the baby monitor in there, and kept the other end in our room so we could hear her if she needed us.

I loved the baby swing for the couple of months. DD2 loved sleeping in it.

I didn't like the idea of pacifiers, but I was grateful that DD2 took one for a few months, because when she was in the hospital with respiratory distress, they had nebulizer attachment with a pacifer at the end -- WAY better than covering her face with a mask. She stopped taking any pacis around 4 months.

The baby gym was great fun for both babies. We sat next to them on the floor and played together.

DD2 has reflux and needed to sleep on a incline. Thank goodness for our crib.

There's no need to "hate" a product -- you can say it isn't useful for you, or you don't see it as necessary, but "hate" is pretty judgemental, IMHO.
#19 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:34 PM

Oh, and yes, I use my stroller, too. I love my sling for doing things around the house, and for when he was a little baby it was fine for walks, but now he's just too heavy for me to sling him for long periods of time, and he gets cranky. We go for walks in the stroller, he likes to sit up and bang blocks off the tray.
#20 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 02:56 PM

Let's see... I hate travel systems (baby SUVS?), baby buckets, plastic toys with batteries and flashing lights (hate them, although we do have ones given as gifts), jarred baby food, baby cereal, walkers and exersaucers, and those huge baby strollers that people use. Oh, and BUMBOS.

I don't hate pacifiers because we use one although we've only been using it for about 2 months and he doesn't really need it anymore, only a little before naps. The rest of the time he's happy to comfort nurse and I'm happy to oblige...for a little while he wanted to suck around the clock, literally.

Strollers, I love our Maclaren Triumph because it's lightweight and easy to push, especially when I have two babies, one in the Mei Tai and one in the stroller. Andrew loves stroller rides. I hate huge bulky strollers, strollers in unnecessary places and strollers that hold the car seat so you can transfer baby from car to stroller back to car without ever having to touch him/her.

Those are all the "must haves" that I hate... now for a few things that I hate that aren't necessarily considered must haves, even by my mainstream friends and family: cereal nipples for bottles, and I just saw these in the store the other day---bottles that hold baby food so you can feed your baby pureed jar food from a bottle. WTH is with that??? :

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#21 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 03:37 PM

ha! I'm going to hijack and tell you the things I hated before I had Bea, but have grown to either love or simply tolerate.

strollers. I didn't buy one before Bea was born. "This baby is going to be carried everywhere." Well, Bea arrived in July and it was hot as heck right through to September and after her first bad case of prickly heat at only 2 weeks old, we bought a darn stroller. Now I use it all the time to carry the groceries when we go to the store...it's marvelous!

baby moniter. don't have one, bu it would have come in handy and will probably get one soon. Bea is a sneaky one and often quietly slips out of bed (which is on the floor) after a nap or in the evening before I retire. Even though we've baby-proofed our room I don't like the idea of her roaming around up there by herself and would like to be able to hear her when she wakes up.

pacifiers. Bea doesn't use one, but she loves to play with them...often putting the whole thing in her mouth and laughing like a monkey

baby bjorn. my brother gave us one and I swore I would never wear it. unfortunately before I discovered the wrap ( ) this was all we had since Bea hated the maya sling that I thought surely she would love. I was embarrassed to wear it in public, but it got her through a rough couple of weeks and for that I am grateful.

toys. "my baby doesn't need fancy toys, she can play with pots and pans and wooden spoons...." well, Bea is sick of our pots and pans and wooden spoons. she has completely exhausted our tupperware drawer. and the cellphone. and the remote. and every utensil in the drawer. and the buttons on the stereo. I bought her a ball the other day and she went nuts! completely and absolutely crazy with joy! she throws! she catches! she dribbles! so yes, I will buy my baby toys. (even...gasp!....toys made of plastic!) I also never though I would get her a push-toy, but I picked one up for a dollar at the yardsale accross the street and she really gets a kick out of it. so much easier than pushing chairs around the kitchen! and wicked cute too (look at the new pic in my sig...)

baby nail clippers. "foolish little things. why I just bite my baby's nails off" well, I did until I realized that they ended up all jaggedy and hurt when she'd clutch my nipples at night

I guess my point is that I was plenty judgemental before Bea (ok, probably still am now too...), but childrearing (and life) is far easier and more pleasant if you don't paint yourself into corners with rigid good/bad, right/wrong judgements. do what feels right. use what works. don't begrudge others who do and use differently.
#22 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Even a lot of the stuff that can be useful can get in the way of an AP lifestyle for our family, if it was there we could accidentally overuse it in place of holding our son. So, dh and I have banned bucket car seats, strollers, swings, playyards, and exersaucers from our home and outings. Also, we limit his time in the crib to daytime naps and in the bouncer seat to while I do dishes and cook dinner. We weren't 100% sure if we would ban pacis after 6 weeks went by, but ds made the decision for us when he instantly spit them out when offered - good choice. He prefers his fingers.

The stuff I actually dislike pretty strongly (not sure I could hate an object) are disposable diapers (leaks and stinks!), cribs for nighttime, bucket car seat carriers (babies not cuddled and don't they look awkward to carry?), and playpens (-yards now, 'pen' sounds too close to the truth).
#23 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 03:41 PM

I hate playpens. I just don't see the point. We have one because I wanted something to put her in while camping (she was leaning to crawl and I didn't wnat her crawling into the fire or getting steped on my cousins)

Bulky strollers that you can clip baby in and out of the car without ever touching them. I just don't get it. My SIL is pregnant and registered for one and I told her she'd never use it because she's already said she doesn't like the idea of clipping onto the grocery cart (yay!) But she thinks she needs one.

Pacifiers have a place IMO. When dd was screaming in the back seat of the car I wished we had one (and I sat in back with her when I could, but usually it was just me and her in the car) Other than that, pinkies work darn well!

Mama of three.

#24 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 03:44 PM

I agree that these things are (mostly) just tools that you can use or misuse on your own.

I would use a baby monitor if our house wasn't so small (as it is, if she squawks, I can hear her from anywhere but the basement) but I wouldn't have needed it when she was tiny, because she virtually never napped alone.

I have a crib and a playpen. I use them to drop Ari in when I have to run do something with two hands and don't want to bother putting her in the sling, but don't want to leave her out on the floor by herself. The crib is nice because it's in the dining room, and she can sit in it and play with her piano and watch me cook. The playpen lives upstairs and doubles as a toy chest.

We have a baby swing, but Ari only now and again used it. Ours is kind of nice, though, because it morphs into a toddler rocking chair, so it may get more use in the future. We have an exersaucer that USED to get some use but now not so much...

As for the pacifier- I'm with others that you need to avoid them early on. I would add the caveat that I think that your husband should be allowed to mostly make his own decisions about how he cares for your babe, though. If he doesn't want to be a chew toy, don't try to make him. DO make him understand that pacifiers can be damaging to bf early on, though, and do tell him that you don't want her having a paci if you're there. That's my rule- if the real thing's around, my babe doesn't get any artificial nipples.

Julia
#25 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields
Let's see... I hate travel systems (baby SUVS?), baby buckets, plastic toys with batteries and flashing lights (hate them, although we do have ones given as gifts), jarred baby food, baby cereal, walkers and exersaucers, and those huge baby strollers that people use. Oh, and BUMBOS.

I don't hate pacifiers because we use one although we've only been using it for about 2 months and he doesn't really need it anymore, only a little before naps. The rest of the time he's happy to comfort nurse and I'm happy to oblige...for a little while he wanted to suck around the clock, literally.

Strollers, I love our Maclaren Triumph because it's lightweight and easy to push, especially when I have two babies, one in the Mei Tai and one in the stroller. Andrew loves stroller rides. I hate huge bulky strollers, strollers in unnecessary places and strollers that hold the car seat so you can transfer baby from car to stroller back to car without ever having to touch him/her.
whoa, that seems really harsh! we have a "travel system" and it is great! i don't use it because i never want to pick up my baby. quite the contrary - my baby is held/carried/worn about 9 out of every 10 waking hours! i do like carrying her in and out of the house in that bucket, especially when she was very young - she was premature - and getting her in and out of it was very stressful for her! not to mention it gets extremely cold in our neck of the woods - who wants to carry the poor babe out and put her in an icy seat?!

we also have a BUMBO and i honestly don't know why people are aways on about what a tool of satan this thing is! my dd LOVES it. today she sat in it on the kitchen counter for half an hour while i made lunch and talked to her. she was very content and i was able to get something done. if i had had her on the floor or in her swing she would have been miserable, and if i was wearing her it would have taken three times as long.

i am also very glad of my stroller - i use it to carry home the groceries when we walk to the store wearing the baby, and to carry my dd when my back gives out. i hope you don't think that everyone who uses a STROLLER thinks that babies shouldn't be carried or something. when my back gave out in March i had no choice but to use that stroller for EVERYTHING - i COULDN'T pick my baby up, even though i wanted to!

my point is that before you start "hating" and judging other mamas, you might want to consider thinking a little more charitably and realize that you don't know their situation. when you see me carry my baby in a "bucket" or a stroller into a store or restaurant, you have no idea what my situation is, so please don't prejudge me.

my feeling about a lot of baby stuff is that it is a waste of money for our family, but every family and every baby is different.
#26 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
I guess my point is that I was plenty judgemental before Bea (ok, probably still am now too...), but childrearing (and life) is far easier and more pleasant if you don't paint yourself into corners with rigid good/bad, right/wrong judgements. do what feels right. use what works. don't begrudge others who do and use differently.
:

I have learned the hard way not to say what I am absolutely not going to do, because it's a guarantee I'll end up doing it!

We lost the paci fight at one month - she NEEDED to suck and was also mad as hell when milk would come out. We did the pinky thing a lot. Then I was finding myself putting a finger in her mouth in desperation whether or not that finger was clean. I cried as I offered her the paci for the first time, and she LOVED it and was so happy.

She needs it less and less these days, so hopefully it will just go away.

We're not even using our co-sleeper, much less a crib!

The best and most wonderful thing so far has been the Fuzzi Bunz transition. Much easier on everyone than diaper service scratchy fumbly prowraps.

but yeah, there's definitely a lot of crapola laying around here unused. Oh well.

I have a Bea too~
#27 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster

Well said. I feel the same. i was EXTREMELY JUDGEMENTAL before I had my dd and now that I have had the experience of having to eat my own words on a lot of things, I have realized that I don't know anything about anyone else's family so I would rather not make any value judgements.

Besides, that thing I say today will most likely come back to haunt me tomorrow, in my experience.
#28 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 04:02 PM

Boppy pillow, vibrating bouncers, bassinets, tiny bibs, and loud baby toys with batteries.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#29 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winonamom2be
whoa, that seems really harsh! we have a "travel system" and it is great! i don't use it because i never want to pick up my baby. quite the contrary - my baby is held/carried/worn about 9 out of every 10 waking hours! i do like carrying her in and out of the house in that bucket, especially when she was very young - she was premature - and getting her in and out of it was very stressful for her! not to mention it gets extremely cold in our neck of the woods - who wants to carry the poor babe out and put her in an icy seat?!

we also have a BUMBO and i honestly don't know why people are aways on about what a tool of satan this thing is! my dd LOVES it.
Hey, if you have a travel system and love it, more power to you. Doesn't change the fact that I hate them. I never said "People who have travel systems don't want to pick up their babies." They are big, they are clunky, they are awkward, and I don't like them. I also hate seafood but my husband loves it so different strokes for different folks. Just because I hate something doesn't mean it is wrong or bad.

And BTW we live in Wisconsin so it gets pretty cold here too, and ds was born in November. I don't like Bumbos because I think they are developmentally inappropriate, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#30 of 211 Old 06-01-2006, 04:23 PM

Cribs and pack n plays..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page