can teething cause diaper rashes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-01-2006, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD just had 2 bottom teeth sprout yesterday, and for about the past week she's had a diaper rash flare-up. For the past couple of months she's had various rashes--yeast, eczema, and plain old diaper rash. She was pretty much rash free for a bit until this latest rash. I initially thought it was an eczema flare-up as she has a bit of eczema on her cheeks that got a little worse at the same time, but now it looks more like little red bumps, so maybe yeast again? Plus her poor little butt crack is bright red. Poor DD

Anyhow, can teething cause an eczema and/or yeast rash flare-up?
#2 of 6 Old 06-01-2006, 05:35 PM

Yes. Keep her nakey as much as possible and hopefully it will calm down soon.

Mama of three.

#3 of 6 Old 06-01-2006, 05:40 PM

yes, teething changes the ph of the saliva and definitely causes diaper rash. When my ds's bottom looks like a monkey in the zoo, I use Hyland's diaper ointment to create a barrier between diaper changes, put him in the tub with some baking soda in the water, and let him run around naked for a while.

My kids have also had hives and run fevers when teething. Teething is a bigger deal to a little body than it's made out to be.
#4 of 6 Old 06-01-2006, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Can it (various changes related to teething) start a week or so before the teeth actually start popping up?
#5 of 6 Old 06-02-2006, 09:26 AM

in my experience the rash/fever/other symptoms come and go as the teeth are coming in. that is, my kids will have diaper rash on and off for a while before the teeth actually show through. How do I know the rash is a teething rash and not something else? well... I haven't done a scientific study but the rashes coincide with lots of chewing on teething toys or other objects, crankiness, and other signs of teething. Also, my kids don't really react to much else besides teething (no allergies, rarely sick). It can take a long time (weeks) for teeth to come through - especially the first ones and the molars. My little guy is working on his molars now.

eta link: Dr. Sears has a good page on teething http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T106500.asp although I don't go along with his 'give acetominiphin as needed' for teething fevers. imo, fevers don't need to be reduced unless the child is really uncomfortable and unable to sleep. My ds had a fever last night (I think this one is related to a cold or other virus) - we just let it run its course and it's gone this morning. If you do a search on relieving teething pain, you'll get good ideas. My kids don't get seem to get so uncomfortable that I've felt I needed to give them pain relief.
#6 of 6 Old 06-02-2006, 11:28 PM

California Baby Diaper Cream...it totally rocks!!!!

Takes all the red out (usually with only one or two apps) and also has lavender and tea tree oil in it for soothing and anti-bacterial/anti-fungal purposes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page