3 month nursing baby hasnt pooped in 5 days! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What should I do? My baby is 3 mos old, acts fine and is healthy- but hasn't had a dirty diaper in 5 days....eating fine and wetting diapers....but no poo!!! Is that normal? He isnt acting uncomfy, but has been passing gas......I just want to see if this has happened to any one else.... thanks!
#2 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 12:12 PM

Pretty normal. J would go a long time between poos when he was much younger.
#3 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 12:19 PM

When I was in Midwife care, she mentioned that the longest she had heard of a BF'ed baby going without pooping was 21 days!!! and that that was okay.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#4 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 12:58 PM

Miles just turned 3 months yesterday - and we had the same situation... he pooed last Thursday morning, then not again til Wednesday morning... I was worried!

When I talked to the pediatric nurse on Tuesday , she said that was completely normal for an exclusively breastfed baby - and to just keep doing what we're doing I love it when the Ped nurses are so pro-breastfeeding
#5 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
EVC

Around 6 weeks dd switched from pooping a few times a day, to pooping once every few days, to pooping once a week. It's perfectly normal in bf babies--bm is just such an efficient food that there's not much left over

When he does poop, just make sure the stool is soft--but real constipation is pretty rare in ebf babies.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#6 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 01:49 PM

dd has gone eleven days, and that was around 3 months. She is EBF and nows goes every two days or so.
#7 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 01:55 PM

My daughter didn't poop for 5 days about 2-3 weeks ago when she was 2 months. I was worried even though she's breast fed so I stuck the tip of a thermometer in her bum and put the tiniest amount of pressure on the sides of her anus. That was all she needed and she pooped right away. The poop was still soft but not as soft as it had been. I had to help her like this for at least a week and now she's pooping fine on her own. that would be a good way for you to determine if your little one is constipated or just using everything. Although if the baby is constipated that's not a gauranteed method to help so just be on the look out for signs of discomfort.
#8 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 01:57 PM

My DD is 2 1/2 mos. and will sometimes go 2 or 3 days between poops...but when she does go - take cover!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#9 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 02:02 PM

One of my 8 week olds has been going through this lately. I used to call him "little squirt" b/c with EVERY single diaper change there was at least a little squirt of poop in there. But then recently he went a full day plus a few hours before pooping again and boy did he ever poop then! Then he went 2 days+, then 5 days, and then just pooped again this morning after 4 days. I guess it's not that unusual. We did take him to the chiropractor after one of those times (I think the time where he didn't end up pooping for 2+ days, and he pooped a couple hours after his adjustment). I've also been doing some massage on him - making his legs go like he's riding a bicycle, one leg up and then straight then the other, both legs up for a couple secs then down all the way, and rubbing the tummy in a circle with 2 fingers starting at his navel and working my way out in a clockwise position (all this w/o a diaper on).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#10 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 02:58 PM

We are super-efficient poopers over here. Going about once a week on average. Last week, two days of about four poops, and nothing since. She's gone as long as 9 days.

No problemo!
#11 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 03:16 PM

I agree - my 2 m/o goes about 1-2 times a week, with an occassional schmear in the crack of his bootie in between.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#12 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 04:06 PM

Just wait until he does go poop, holy moly

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#13 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 04:08 PM

Normal
My sister's kid would only poop on Sundays. At grandma's house. She did this for months.

No worries and enjoy!!!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#14 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 05:30 PM

DD used to go 1-2 weeks without pooping, and she got uncomfortably gassy and I felt like it wasn't good for her. I've taken her for lots of craniosacral therapy, and now she usually goes every 3-5 days.

I've heard from many sources that bm is efficiently absorbed, and there's nothing left to poop out, so no biggie. And this may be true, but I've always felt that at least for my dd, it wasn't good (just my gut feeling). She's always been super gassy and had digestive issues (we had to stop co-sleeping because she was gassy and would kick me in her sleep -- the whole night). Both her chiro and holistic ped also feel it is not good, and say she should be pooping at least once/day, as pooping is one of the major ways our bodies have of eliminating toxins.

Starting this week, at the direction of the holistic ped, I am starting her on probiotics and two homeopathics to help support her digestive function (FYI, she is still primarily breastfed, with tiny tastes of fruit once or twice a week). So hopefully that will help!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#15 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 06:55 PM

As soon as I posted my reply above, WE HAD POOP!!

This pooping every week or so means, pooping is a reason for a party

Yep, had to take her straight to the bathtub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page