Bad mama day confessions: the guilt thread - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2006, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have another confession to make. I absolutely try not to, but if my baby is extrememly uncomfortable due to teething, or something like that, I do give him a tiny drop of infant tylenol to make him feel better. When he was cutting his first tooth, he was up alllllll night, crying and crying and crying, which was SO out of character for him (he's made of concrete, it seems, rarely cries unless he is in extreme pain). We were in an apartment, and I think he woke up the next door neighbors. I felt it would be inhumane not to try to give him something for pain, I mean, I would have given myself something for the pain if I felt the way he seemed to. And little bit later after I gave him a little drop of tylenol, he FINALLY went to sleep, and seemed a little happier. Honestly, I have no remorse about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Then I also have a confession. I'm always giving DS tylenol for teething pain. I spent more than a week staying up with him, sometimes until 7:00 in the morning, and then just realised it would be easier for us all if I gave him some at night.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:51 PM

My DD discovered today that when she bangs her head against the outside of the bathtub, it makes a nifty "bong" noise. So she kept doing it. And I let her.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM

I yell "fuck!" when my guy hits my mouth with his head or my head with his head or anything else that hurts really, really badly.... :

mama kidlet 1.11.06
Old 08-02-2006, 11:13 AM

Confessions based on my own personal idea of the type of parent I want to be...
The past two days I have been trying to look for a job via the phone/internet so ds has sat in his bouncy chair with a pacifier for a large part of the day so I can have both of my hands free. It makes me feel so guilty. The first time I put him in the chair w/ a pacifier it almost made me cry. So today I have vowed, no pacifier and a bouncy only when sleeping.
That being said, I USE a pacifier, though I vowed I wouldnt. :
I use disposable diapers too, though I was committed to cloth, but I justify this by saying it's because P has casts on his legs (clubfoot treatment) and we are told to use them.
I also use a stroller, because I haven't sucessfully carried him due to the casts... I'm working on it though!
Hmmm... in the middle of the night I sometimes wake up to find the blankets over ds's head.
I also don't change the sheets due to breastmilk leaks, or I'd be changing them all the time.
good thread!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysmom617
I have another confession to make. I absolutely try not to, but if my baby is extrememly uncomfortable due to teething, or something like that, I do give him a tiny drop of infant tylenol to make him feel better. When he was cutting his first tooth, he was up alllllll night, crying and crying and crying, which was SO out of character for him (he's made of concrete, it seems, rarely cries unless he is in extreme pain). We were in an apartment, and I think he woke up the next door neighbors. I felt it would be inhumane not to try to give him something for pain, I mean, I would have given myself something for the pain if I felt the way he seemed to. And little bit later after I gave him a little drop of tylenol, he FINALLY went to sleep, and seemed a little happier. Honestly, I have no remorse about this.
You shouldn't have any remorse. Honestly, you should feel more guilty if you didn't give him tylenol. The poor babe was in pain. Why feel guilty?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok so here i go..lol :

*I let me kids watch way too much tv
*they have some many toys they can't play
*I yell
*I don't play enough with them
*I don't take them outside
*I don't bathe them at all (lol..daddy does)
...I''m sure there is a huge amount more..

But I would also like to brag on the few things I am very proud of myself for doing...

*When hubby is home we all sit at the table and eat supper together, and they boys stay at the table
*my boys are very good when we go out to eat
*they eat a pretty good diet (just recently did a graph to see, was plesantly surprised)
*I exclusive extended breastfed my boys
*they have a delayed vax schedule
*I have stayed home with them since day one (the last year the oldest 2 have gone to mother day out...for me and them,..we love it)
*I co sleep, even now the boys are in toddler beds in our room
*we have a billion books..they love to read
*the only otc they had last year were tylenol and/or motrin...we've gone homeopthic!

Great thread,..nice to admit your faults and not be judged! at least not to my face We are all in this mommy thing together!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredette
I yell "fuck!" when my guy hits my mouth with his head or my head with his head or anything else that hurts really, really badly.... :
I am cracking up at that one!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredette
: I actually laughed out loud (so loud that I startled my sleeping son to the point that he wimpered). Feel sorry for him, but WELL worth the comedy!

smlwieber - I'm right there with you..

I can add a few more though.. LOL

*I've hit
*I've let dd watch WAY too much TV just so that I could do nothing! (bad day I guess)
*I've gotten mad at dh for NOT helping with the kids and then get just as mad or the way he does it. (Control freak anyone?)
*and my worst - dd spit on ds's face then hit me and my instant reaction to him screaming and my surprise was to pop her upside the head. I felt nauseausly guilty all night and have been extra *huggy* today to make up for it. I feel embarrased to even admit this one!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto1and1ontheway
: I actually laughed out loud (so loud that I startled my sleeping son to the point that he wimpered). Feel sorry for him, but WELL worth the comedy!

smlwieber - I'm right there with you..

I can add a few more though.. LOL

*I've hit
*I've let dd watch WAY too much TV just so that I could do nothing! (bad day I guess)
*I've gotten mad at dh for NOT helping with the kids and then get just as mad or the way he does it. (Control freak anyone?)
*and my worst - dd spit on ds's face then hit me and my instant reaction to him screaming and my surprise was to pop her upside the head. I felt nauseausly guilty all night and have been extra *huggy* today to make up for it. I feel embarrased to even admit this one!
But ya know what? Times like these, is where we totally learn from our mistakes.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
Old 08-02-2006, 05:01 PM

Some of you moms are way too hard on yourself! You feel guilty about things it never even occurred to me to feel guilty about. Here are some more of mine:

* Sometimes I spoon-feed ds just because I don't feel like cleaning up the mess he makes when he feeds himself.

* When I go grocery shopping I hand the baby cheerio after cheerio just to keep him busy so I can shop in peace.

* On really frustrating days I've been known to threaten DH with an unanesthetized vasectomy.

* Lately I've been putting baby in a disposable at night. Then in the morning I wait until he's had his morning poop to change it :

To you moms who feel guilty about giving your babies tylenol when they're in pain: don't feel bad! Yeah, it's probably not a good idea to dose your baby up every single day, but I think it's better for everyone to give them a pain reliever when they're in severe pain. IMO the harm from tylenol has to be way less than the harm from crying in pain all night. So don't feel bad. You're just trying to do what's best for your little one.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Sometimes I spoon-feed ds just because I don't feel like cleaning up the mess he makes when he feeds himself.
Hollin: your 6 mo can feed himself? I guess she can feed herself o's but I haven't tried to give her a spoon yet. This is not something I'd feel guilty about!

Off to start a thread about feeding in our yahoo group...

User Tag List