Do you freeze homemade baby food in baby food jars? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read online that you shouldn't because the jars might crack? Has anyone had that happen? I've bought some jarred food planning to make food and freeze it in those...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2006, 01:18 PM

I've heard some moms say they have used ice cube trays. I've never done that but it seems like it would work really well!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:32 PM

I don't know if you can do this with homemade baby food, or how long it would last, but I used to re-use jars to store things and seal them up. Like, I'd put rice in them, and set them in a warm oven for awhile and then take them out and lid them, and then when the air inside cooled they'd seal up again. Worked to keep bugs out, but like I said, I'm not sure about baby food.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:13 PM

yes, I freeze them. They don't crack. Just don't fill them to the top to leave room for expansion.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:09 PM

I just pureed (or whatever) ds1's food and froze them in these neato ice cube trays that have a lid. Found them at Bed Bath & Beyond for like $5/ea. Once food was frozen I stuck it in Ziplocs. Each cube was about an ounce (so we didn't waste much food only heating up a cube or two or three at a time), and a minute at 70% or so in the microwave warmed them up quite nicely.

When the trays aren't in heavy rotation for baby food, I use them to freeze cubes of chopped onions or chicken stock or whatever.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 06-04-2006, 05:12 PM

I've used baby food jars to freeze homemade food. I've found that many foods don't come back as well as I'd like, though. So experiment on a small scale when you start to avoid wasting food.

Could be my method, though...I find too often that when things don't go right, it's operator error

And what the pp said about not filling them up to the brim--that's what I've done and no broken jars yet.

T
Old 06-04-2006, 07:26 PM

I've never used baby jars for our homemade food. I know plenty of mommies who do. I just use ice cube trays. They work great!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:50 PM

I've take those individual sandwich bags and place a serving of mashed whatever (sweet potatoes, brown rice mush, etc) roll them up, and freeze them. Easy - no dishes and the serving size is just right.

User Tag List