Car seat dilemma.....and financial dilemma as well! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2006, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, here's the deal...My DS is 16 1/2 months and 30 lbs, rear-facing in his marathon. I have/had every intention of keeping him rear-facing until 33 lbs. Recently, he had a growth spurt and his head is only 3 inches from the top of the seat. According to some techs I talked to on-line, Britax says the height rf'ing limits are the same as the ff'ing limits...when the ears are level with the top of the seat. So DS still has plenty of growing room.

Ok, problem is...we think he's going to outgrow the marathon quicker than most kids. The techs said we should start saving for a regent (harnessesd to 80 lbs and much taller) NOW, because he looks like he'll outgrow the marathon before he is old enough for a booster.

Financial situation...we are living paycheck to paycheck, barely paying for food and bills. And I'm going to start school soon and things are going to be even tighter. For us, saving is just laughable at the moment. My sister needs a convertible seat soon and offered to buy our marathon. With the money from that and another $100 (we can ask my dad for a loan or a trade...like we'll mow his lawn for 2 months or something), we can buy a regent NOW. But then he would be ff'ing.

I feel like we should jump on this opportunity because we may be even MORE broke for the next few years while I'm in school. But I cannot get over the guilt of turning him ff'ing. He's going to be ff'ing soon anyways. This kid is still gaining very quickly (everyone said he would slow down, but he hasn't).

How in the world DH and I ended up with a big ol' baby I'll never know. We were petite, skinny kids.

So keep him rf'ing as long as possible and *hope* we can afford the regent later....or get the regent now and turn him ff'ing a few months earlier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2006, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
In your situation, I'd replace the carseat now. Who knows what you'll be able to get in 2 or 3 more months, and you might end up with an inferior carseat.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 06-04-2006, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
In your situation, I'd replace the carseat now. Who knows what you'll be able to get in 2 or 3 more months, and you might end up with an inferior carseat.
I agree.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Sorry, this was supposed to be in toddlers! DOH!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:51 PM

Might as well do it now. Is there anyway to keep the $ for the Regent in savings though and then buy him a Scenera for now? He might not even fit height wise in it, but if he does, it goes to 35# rfing and it's only 40#. At this age, Iw ould like to see him still rfing if at all possible! Also, I know Britax says the rfing limits are the same as ffing, but you really want your baby's head protected in the shell of the seat. The last thing you want in a car accident is to have his head smack the front seats b/c it's not entirely in the shell.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 06-05-2006, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80
Is there anyway to keep the $ for the Regent in savings though and then buy him a Scenera for now? He might not even fit height wise in it, but if he does, it goes to 35# rfing and it's only 40#.
I've thought about that and we're going to wal-mart tommorow to sit him in the display model to see if he can get any use out of it height-wise. The techs on the other board said the scenera is shorter than the marathon though, and he's likely too tall for it. If it's even just 3 inches shorter than the marathon, he's already topped it out.

I do think it's a little strange that britax says that their head can be up past the seat. Every other car seat says to turn them when their head is one inch from the top or level with the top. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with his head up past the top anyways. I'd probably turn him before that, even if he hadn't hit the weight limit.

The problem with DS, is his torso is 15" and I think the marathon top slots are only 17" high. The regent goes to 21".
Old 06-05-2006, 10:31 AM

Wow, that's one tall baby! (Or long-torsoed baby!). My boys are 39 months old and 38" tall, and nowhere close to outgrowing their boulevards (which are the same size as the marathon). I just turned them forward-facing because depending on the scale, they're either 33 or 34 lbs. I will say that the growth pattern changes around 18 months, with much more growth happening in the legs than in the torso.

First, I would make sure that a regent will fit in your car, and that you have the necessary tether spot (or whatever it is you need for a regent). Then I would try your son out in a regent and see how tiny he looks in it (I have seen some 4-year-olds look really tiny in them). If it seems like a good fit in car and for baby, then I guess I would go for it. It's not ideal, but it is a tricky situation.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:58 AM

I think that a 16 month old would swim in that seat. We have a husky for my 4 year old and she pretty much looks swallowed up in it. She is 43" and was around the same height as your baby at 16 months. still has space in her marathon as well. I think you have more time than you think...years even before you'd need a husky. Babies that age sleep a lot in the car (most anyhow) and the seat doesn't offer any sleep support and is very upright. I would stick it out with the marathon and re-evaluate things in a few years. JMO as an owner of both seats and a tall child.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:15 PM

I found out just today that weight wise Police will NOT worry so much if they are in a seat that is a little small for them. They are more concerned with a seat that is too big or no seat at all. I wouldn'd be worried abotu the RF weight as much as the height. That is my personal feeling. I know these things are expensive and it can be hard to get a hold of the $$$. If you can find a way to replace it now go for it. Otherwise you could "make due" for a little while.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:45 PM

I called Britax about two months ago, to specifically ask about the height limits on the Marathon for rear facing.

I was told that it would be necessary to turn her around when the top of her head was even with the top of the shell (without carseat cover on).

For most carseats, the limit is one inch below the top of the shell, so I was pretty happy with that. It's a tall seat, plus the extra inch!

It's pretty bad that they would give you one set of instructions and me another. Did you call Britax directly? I'm tempted to call them on a few different occasions just to see if I always get the same answer.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just went through something similar and bought a Regent and sold my Marathon for $125 within hours of posting on Craig's list. In fact, I had a waiting list of backup offers and two people were upset because someone else got the Marathon first! So you can put that money towards the Regent. I found lots of information on various carseats at http://www.car-seat.org forums.

My kids outgrew their Marathons in record time, but they are very tall children.

Good for you for taking your child's safety so seriously.

BTW, I fear that the resale value of Marathons may soon drop quite low because Britax recently clearanced out the Wizards, which are the upgraded version of Marathons. Wizards sold at half price. So I would move now and say "no backsies" on the deal or sell on Craig's list.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 PM

I don't think a child that size will swim in the seat. My friend's son is about that size and looks fine in the seat. I also don't think he'll fit in a Scenera. AJ has at least a 15" torso, if not 15.5" so I totally understand your problems (except AJ just turned 3, lol, but Evan is the same way at 18 mos, all torso).

katies-mama, Britax is nototrious for giving different answers than they print and different answers just depending on who you talk to! It's ridiculous.

sweetfeet, her child has a very long torso. He can be considered normal for his age, but w/ a long torso he will outgrow seats a lot faster. AJ has less room in a MA than many children who are taller than him b/c they have long legs as opposed to a long torso.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

User Tag List