Television for a 3 month old? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 06-10-2006, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Has no one seen the studies about about computers and laptops, most notably laptops with wireless internet connections? They are linking it to cancer, yet here we all are, typing away on the WWW (and many of us do so with our wee ones at breast just inches from the computer!)
Could you post the links? Would probably be good for all of us to see.
#62 of 70 Old 06-10-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom
Could you post the links? Would probably be good for all of us to see.
Yeah, I'd like to see something along those lines.

raising my two sunshine children.

#63 of 70 Old 06-10-2006, 09:51 AM

Oh sure, make me PROVE it. Just kidding of course, I'll try to find them again.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#64 of 70 Old 06-10-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60
Oh sure, make me PROVE it. Just kidding of course, I'll try to find them again.
yeah, post something if you find it. I searched google scholar and couldn't find anything. Some data about cell phones, but nothing conclusive on laptops using wireless.

#65 of 70 Old 06-11-2006, 11:38 AM

Ok, sorry it took so long...

The basic premise is that anything that is not connected to the wall with a cord/wire emits some kind of radiation and/or frequency. I'm having a hard time finding the original article, but here are a few links that explain what I'm talking about, although perhaps not scientifically proven. Honestly, it's not a far stretch if you ask me. There are so many wireless gizmo's out there today that at any given moment a signal is being sent right through our bodies. I think it's no coincidence that as technology increases so do the cancer rates.

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp...experiment.htm

Here is a link from the FCC themselves that explains microwave and radio frequency/radiation. While they claim there is no conclusive evidence to support the link to cancer, I don't believe it to be far off if you understand the fundamentals of radiation. Even LOW levels are harmful if you're constantly exposed.

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/rf-faqs.html

Bottom line - if you are wary of microwaves, or limit their use because of the radiation they emit, then you may want to rethink the use of wi-fi internet connections, wireless phones, or cell phones.

#66 of 70 Old 06-12-2006, 09:37 PM

For that matter, Dr. Andrew Weil suggested in 8 Weeks to Optimum Health not having ANY electrical appliance within a certain distance (8-10 feet, I think) of your head, b/c of the emissions. So computers would be bad. Also, alarm clocks on the bedside table, hairdryers, etc.
#67 of 70 Old 06-12-2006, 10:12 PM

wow! had no idea about wireless internet!
ftr we have no tv, but our kids are exposed to it at family's houses and dh watches some on his laptop. He often uses it when he's watching dd2 (17 mos) and I talked to him about it, because I don't like it. I made a compromise though and suggested maybe a winnie the pooh movie would be better than the simpsons...
#68 of 70 Old 06-12-2006, 10:13 PM

Soory, wanted to add that it happens often when he's alone with her, but that in itself isn't that often. It's something he has done for me to shower, mostly. And not every shower.
#69 of 70 Old 06-12-2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60
Ok, sorry it took so long...

The basic premise is that anything that is not connected to the wall with a cord/wire emits some kind of radiation and/or frequency. I'm having a hard time finding the original article, but here are a few links that explain what I'm talking about, although perhaps not scientifically proven. Honestly, it's not a far stretch if you ask me. There are so many wireless gizmo's out there today that at any given moment a signal is being sent right through our bodies. I think it's no coincidence that as technology increases so do the cancer rates.

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp...experiment.htm

Here is a link from the FCC themselves that explains microwave and radio frequency/radiation. While they claim there is no conclusive evidence to support the link to cancer, I don't believe it to be far off if you understand the fundamentals of radiation. Even LOW levels are harmful if you're constantly exposed.

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/rf-faqs.html

Bottom line - if you are wary of microwaves, or limit their use because of the radiation they emit, then you may want to rethink the use of wi-fi internet connections, wireless phones, or cell phones.
thanks. the first article seems a little out-there, to be honest. the story about the former WHO director was published in a danish tabloid paper and wasn't picked up in any other reputable papers. i looked at a few studies in pubmed (search: wireless and cancer) and there really hasn't been any conclusive research yet. it's something i'm going to keep thinking about though.

#70 of 70 Old 06-12-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita
i looked at a few studies in pubmed (search: wireless and cancer) and there really hasn't been any conclusive research yet. it's something i'm going to keep thinking about though.
Search for radio frequency/radiation. You'll get a lot more hits that way. I don't think the "conclusive evidence" about wi-fi and cancer is any more sound then the link between cancer and cell phones. My whole point is that there is, or should be, serious concern given the type of emission that these devices give off.

I don't think effects are known yet, and while there may be no "conclusive evidence" to support the dangers, there is more then enough to support the relative danger to microwave radiation.

I'm also not one to hand out studies in an attempt to prove something. I believe that in order for you to feel comfortable with the information it needs to be something that you have researched on your own.

This is why I don't believe TV's to be the root of all evil. Nor do I believe they'll be the ONLY brain mushing appliance that my daughter will come in contact with, hence my "moderation" theory. I won't be getting rid of my microwaves or TV's or laptops, but I will use them judiciously.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page