car rentals and babies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2006, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey everyone

we are planning on a vacation this summer and will be needing to rent a car. we will be flying so we will be unable (well, it would be VERY inconvenient) to bring the entire car seat and base on the plane. do car rental companies rent car seats? what do most people do?

thanks!
diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 07:53 PM

I've heard the car companies do carseat rentals, but you're never sure of the safety of the seats. I found it was easy to bring our seat- either strap it in the seat on the plane, or check it with the rest of the luggage or gate check it.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 06-07-2006, 07:55 PM

I would get a seat for babe on the plane and bring the car seat. I would NOT trust a rental seat.

-Angela
Old 06-07-2006, 07:56 PM

They will provide a carseat, but you have to be VERY specific what kind of seat you need (infant with base, toddler, booster). My dad came for a visit with his toddler son, requested just a "carseat" and the only one they had for him was an infant seat!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 PM

i would bring the carseat and check it at the gate. or call the rental company to ask if they can provide a certain kind of seat.

raising my two sunshine children.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:00 PM

I would never a trust a rental carseat, no way, no how. IT's so easy to travel w/ an infant seat. If you want, you can take the carseat on the plane and check the base, or just leave the base at home. I've never taken ours on vacation. Just be sure to read your manual, and if you have time I highly suggest a trip to a carseat tech to make sure you know how to install it correctly w/out the base.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

I just flew and put wheels on my stroller ( I used this http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html but I have seen people do the same thing with a luggage cart. I am just not that clever) Then I gate checked it like a stroller. If my dd didn't want to ride in it then I carried her in a sling and strapped the diaper bag in. It was there when I got off the plane and I didn't have to stress about waiting for it at the baggage claim, or renting a sub-standard carseat. It sounds like you might have an infant seat, so maybe you could buy a inexpensive convertable to do this with if you baby is big enough. I have heard great things about the Scerana ($50 ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita
i would bring the carseat and check it at the gate. or call the rental company to ask if they can provide a certain kind of seat.
Yep...ditto that.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:43 PM

I fly pretty often with my daughter and I always bring her seat, I do check it, and it has never been a hassle. I have a simple carseat bag that I put it in.

Just wanted to let you know that it can be pretty easy to bring your car seat with you.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 PM

: O.K. Next week we will be traveling. We already have a rental car with rental car seat. Now I'm worried.
"I would never a trust a rental carseat, no way, no how."
WHY???

I thought it was a great idea. Another thing I didn't have to lug with us. We are already packing so much for our ds. Why not use a rental seat?

Happy Wife & Mama to 1 boy 12/6/05
Old 06-07-2006, 10:09 PM

You can use the infant seat safely without the base. We learned our lesson about rental car seats on the trip we took 2 months ago. The infant seat was a very flimsy, uncomfortable, 3-point harness piece of crap. I will NEVER do that again, worried every time we drove (DS was 2 months old) and he cried all the time (he never does that in his normal seat). We've rented boosters for my 5-year-old twice and they've been fine both times, so it never occurred to me that the infant seat would not be.

Happy travels!

Carol
Old 06-07-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkirche
: O.K. Next week we will be traveling. We already have a rental car with rental car seat. Now I'm worried.
"I would never a trust a rental carseat, no way, no how."
WHY???

I thought it was a great idea. Another thing I didn't have to lug with us. We are already packing so much for our ds. Why not use a rental seat?
There is no way to know if it was ever in an accident. Technically, they should only rent ones that are safe an approved, but people who rent them might not be completely upfront about it. Besides, what if the seat they give you doesn't feel comfortable to your child.

I would take my own seat. I think it would be easier on your child and make them feel a little more relaxed about the trip to have their own seat.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!! i had NO idea you could check your car seat and base. we'll do that since of course, we'd rather be safe than travel light.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:31 AM

I highly doubt any rental car company would take the risk of renting out a substandard car seat. If there were to be a problem with it, the lawsuit could ruin their reputation. I would call, ask what kind of base they rent, and go from there.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_plus_one
I highly doubt any rental car company would take the risk of renting out a substandard car seat. If there were to be a problem with it, the lawsuit could ruin their reputation. I would call, ask what kind of base they rent, and go from there.
That's true, if they know they are renting out seats that aren't up to par. I doubt a lot of places would know though that seats expire, not all seats fit all kids, etc. I know a mom who rented a seat and used it long enough to go across the street and buy a new one! The seat was THAT bad and OLD. She then gave them the seat she had bought and billed them for it and they paid for it since they agreed the seat she had been given wasn't adequate. I just wouldn't take chances like that w/ my child's life.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

User Tag List