swimming - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my ds & i are going to be starting swimming lessons & i was wondering what everyone does regarding diapers & pools? are those disposable swimming diapers really different from regular ones & do you put swim trunks over top?

yogamama to finnigan 8 february 2006, sweet sebastian 16 december 2009  & miracle baby

due august 2011  ::

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 01:50 PM

We use cloth swim diapers and put the swimsuit over.

-Angela
Old 06-09-2006, 02:02 PM

Target sells swim diapers that are not disposable. They look like a little swimsuit. For girls they even have matching tops but I just got the bottoms for DD. I figure she can go topless this year .

Swim diapers are meant to stop a poop from getting into the pool/water but not a pee. The point is that they should not be absorbent because an absorbent diaper could get waterlogged and possibly make baby sink.

Some folks just use Fuzzi Bunns with no insert.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaki
Some folks just use Fuzzi Bunns with no insert.
Not the OP but we are going swimming this weekend, too. I don't want to buy a special swim dipe and we don't use Fuzzibunz--what about a Kissaluv 0 and a Bummis cover? That wouldn't be very heavy when wet...we also use bumGenius. Any thoughts? Use a bumGenius w/o the stuffing maybe??

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:34 PM

I use a motherease swim nappy and its great!
Old 06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
EVC

We use Huggies Little Swimmers under a bathing suit.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
Old 06-09-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields
Not the OP but we are going swimming this weekend, too. I don't want to buy a special swim dipe and we don't use Fuzzibunz--what about a Kissaluv 0 and a Bummis cover? That wouldn't be very heavy when wet...we also use bumGenius. Any thoughts? Use a bumGenius w/o the stuffing maybe??
Yeah a bum genius w/no stuffing would probably work...they're really similar to fb's I think. I've thought about just using a plain old bummi cover with nothing else but I don't know if it would really stop poop. Plus may not be too comfy for DD. I don't have any experience with kissaluv so can't answer that one. FYI the target swim dipe I got was only five bucks...but I bet the bumgenius would work just fine.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:24 PM

We use a cloth swim diaper with the swimsuit on top (and the suit is like 3 sizes too big so it'll fit over the dipe). Though dd is ECd so I don't know when we'll stop using the swim diaper... technically she doesn't even need it now but I didn't want to start anything with the other parents...

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 06-09-2006, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
don't use a fuzzi bunz or other similar pocket diaper. air can get trapped in the pocket causing baby's bum to float and consequently face to go in the water. cann be very dangerous.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 06-09-2006, 06:38 PM

I would not use a kissaluvs. You don't want anything absorbant.

-Angela
Old 06-09-2006, 06:42 PM

I just got a swimsuit at Target. It's like a baby speedo. It was on clearance for $2. The idea of a swimsuit is just to keep poop in, if they go.

raising my two sunshine children.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:07 PM

check with the pool. most have very strict regulations about what babies have to wear. most require plastic pants over a swim diaper no matter what kind it is or how it is designed, and many also require a bathing suit on top of everything. i have no idea why, i have just found it to be the case.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winonamom2be
check with the pool. most have very strict regulations about what babies have to wear. most require plastic pants over a swim diaper no matter what kind it is or how it is designed, and many also require a bathing suit on top of everything. i have no idea why, i have just found it to be the case.
really? i've never had a problem with the public pools here. good to know though, it'd be a real bummer to get to the pool and not be able to get in.

raising my two sunshine children.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:11 PM

Here pools just want a swim diaper. Some pools only want a disposable, some only want cloth. Some don't care.

-Angela
Old 06-09-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma
don't use a fuzzi bunz or other similar pocket diaper. air can get trapped in the pocket causing baby's bum to float and consequently face to go in the water. cann be very dangerous.
Wow! Good to know. I've only heard people say that a pocket dipe sans insert worked well for them. But I think you make a great point...now that you've described it I can totally picture that happening. Thanks for the info and apologies to pp's for suggesting the pocket dipe option. I had no idea it was dangerous.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma
:
Pocket dipes are too roomy. There was a thread in tao last year (and i bumped it a few months ago too) where a moms babe couldnt hold himself up right because the pocket got filled.

I was looking at dd's swim dipes the other day. we have 2 and i was thinking i needed more. I was looking at how they are constructed. the pull and fleece are nice and close together, unlike a pocket so i pulled out my beccabottoms dipes and see that they are similar in that there is no extra fleece(like a pocket has). they have snap in soakers.
anyway, i am gonna give one a try if it ever stops raining(without the soaker).
In the kiddie pool where i can have her in arms reach at all times. I really think that it will work because it is so similar to the swim dipe.

Here is the thread i mentioned above.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:50 PM

You can just use a diaper cover with no diaper as a swim diaper. That's what we do, and it got tested the other day and really contained the poop, thank goodness. You'll likely need to use a cover that's too small to use over a diaper- we used a small cover even though Luka wears mediums.

I don't see how the unstuffed FB could be a safety issue, obviously with a baby you'd be holding them in the pool, so how could their face go in the water? And anyway, what's the harm in their face going in the water? Luka loves to blow bubbles in the pool.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:23 AM
DBZ

When I lived in FL my oldest learned to swim at 13 months old. She could swim, float face up, and get out all on her own. I either used a swim diaper or a sposie. I usually used a sposie though because she almost always had a bm in the pool. If I knew how to cd back then I would have used a cloth diaper. I didn't care much about the sposie absorbing water because part of the course my DD took was having to get out of the pool after being put in fully dressed (jacket, pants, and shoes).

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 06-10-2006, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
are those disposable swimming diapers really different from regular ones
The swim nappies are really thin and don't have any gel in them. If you put a normal disposable nappy in water it absorbs so much that it explodes.

We use kushies swim nappies, I wanted something which fastened rather than the pull up kind. We've been really happy with them although they haven't been " fully tested". We've never bothered with a swin suit over the top.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:39 PM

We got a pair of swim trunks at Toys R Us in the baby supplies isle. They are actually called a swim diaper but are basically shorts with a liner. They are light weight and don't feel wet at all. I also found a Speedo wet suit at a yard sale for 50 cents. I really like it because it protects almost everything except his face from the sun. He has skin issues so were a little cautious about sunscreen.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:44 PM

We use the Imse Vimse swim diaper for DD - works very well. DS doesn't need a swim diaper anymore, but he has some swim trunks from Target that have a swim diaper in them.

Make sure you buy 2 so you don't have to leave the pool if they poop!
Old 06-10-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ
When I lived in FL my oldest learned to swim at 13 months old. She could swim, float face up, and get out all on her own. I either used a swim diaper or a sposie. I usually used a sposie though because she almost always had a bm in the pool. If I knew how to cd back then I would have used a cloth diaper. I didn't care much about the sposie absorbing water because part of the course my DD took was having to get out of the pool after being put in fully dressed (jacket, pants, and shoes).
Wow, what kind of training program was that? DS and I are signed up for Parent and Me, but I've heard its just playing games with your baby in the pool... nothing is actually taught to the kid about how to swim. I'd love to get into a program that teaches them that kind of survival skills!

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
Old 06-11-2006, 03:08 AM
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiemamma
Wow, what kind of training program was that? DS and I are signed up for Parent and Me, but I've heard its just playing games with your baby in the pool... nothing is actually taught to the kid about how to swim. I'd love to get into a program that teaches them that kind of survival skills!
It's run by Infant Swim Resource. I highly recommend it. Things like Mommy and Me just remove a child's natural fear of the water which makes water more dangerous because they will be more then happy to jump right in. I've seen it work too. My instructor's son slipped and fell into the pool. He was 13 months old. He orientated himself, found the edge, and climbed out. He was crying once he got himself out, but he was safe and would have been even if had wandered out there by himself.

Kara

Old 06-13-2006, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ
It's run by Infant Swim Resource. I highly recommend it. Things like Mommy and Me just remove a child's natural fear of the water which makes water more dangerous because they will be more then happy to jump right in. I've seen it work too. My instructor's son slipped and fell into the pool. He was 13 months old. He orientated himself, found the edge, and climbed out. He was crying once he got himself out, but he was safe and would have been even if had wandered out there by himself.

Kara
looks like an amazing course - unfortunately the nearest instructor is over 100 miles away from me That bites!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:15 AM
DBZ

Yeah, I have the same problem now but I think it's way over a 100 miles to the nearest instructor. It really bites.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:37 PM

We just use a Gabby's swim diaper and wash it when we get home, I think a diaper cover would work just fine but the chlorine is hard on them so I wouldn't want to sacrifice one of my good diapers to the pool. Our swim diaper was under $10.
Jessie

Jessie (29) mom to Emma (2002), Anthony (2004), Elizabeth (2006) and Ava (2008) and someone new 2010

User Tag List