Dried blood in ear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When we woke up this morning I noticed my 5 month old baby's ear had a bunch of dried blood in it. I took a wet q-tip and dabbed most of it away, to see if there was a scratch. I can't see a scratch, but there is a large scab/clot of blood inside his ear. I don't want to mess with it because I don't want to shove it farther in. What do you think this could be? He was pulling at his ear last night as I was nursing him. Do you think a mosquito or something got in it? He is actually completely normal and happy and isn't tugging at his ear anymore. Has this happened to anyone before? I don't want to overreact and take him to the dr. if it is just something simple. Thanks for your help! Is there another place I can cross post this?

Blessed mama of four
::
#2 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 09:57 AM

I've not seen anything like it... can you call the doc to see what they say? Or is yours like mine - they won't answer even the simplest questions without seeing the baby?
#3 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 10:35 AM

My daughter does that all the time. No ear infections, yet, but when she's sleepy, her finger goes in there.
#4 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 10:38 AM

That happened to my baby. She'd just scratched herself. It freaked me out and all was okay. It never hurts to have a doc check it though!
#5 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 12:50 PM

This happens to 6 mo old ds and it's always just a scratch. Sometimes he heals so fast that when I clean out the scab it's already gone. When he is sleepy he plays with his ear, pulling on it and sticking his finger in it. He started that when he was about 5 months.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#6 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas!

Blessed mama of four
::
#7 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 01:08 PM

I don't know, but couldn't it be an ear infection? My DD had one and her eardrum burst, and a little (not as much as you described) blood came out. She also felt a bit better at this point because the pressure was relieved.

I had taken her to the ped at the first sign of infection (before the eardrum burst, and within 12 hours of when she most likely actually got the infection). He prescribed antibiotics. Then the eardrum burst a day or 2 later, so obviously the antibiotics didn't work. Took her back. Stronger antibiotics and ear drops. Didn't help. A week later she was still on them (and I hated every day of it, but wasn't sure what to do) and she had blood in the diaper. I saw the oncall ped on Christmas Day and took the diaper in, and thank god the ped said to just stop all the medication immediately.

Anyway, I told you all that since even if it could be an ear infection, I don't know if going to the ped is the best course of action. They'll just prescribe an antibiotic and I've since read that they don't even change the course of the infection about 70% of the time!!!!!!! The fact that they help 30% of the time is respectable, but given the dangers of antibiotics shouldn't we be so much more careful about prescribing and using them?????

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#8 of 8 Old 06-13-2006, 03:28 PM

We had this happen. DD's eardrum bursted. Dr. checked it but said it would heal naturally and she didn't have an infection. She had some fluid in her ears which we believe was a result of backed up sinuses due to allergies.

Pam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page