no-spill sippy cup for 4 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2006, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 month old will not take a bottle. I am only away from her for about 2 hours every Monday, but would like my MIL to be able to get some milk in her when she needs it. I'm going to try a sippy cup and was wondering if I should take out the no-spill dohicky, or leave it in.

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 02:09 AM

I can't say that I am super experienced with this but my gut reaction would be to leave the no spill thing in. Without it the liquid just pours out, unlike a bottle or a breast.

I can say that my babies were always fine for about 2 hours without nursing. If for some reason I had to be gone, which was admittedly rare, I would just nurse them before I left and they were good.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Well, of course she won't always nurse right before I leave, so sometimes she gets hungry while I'm gone. Yet no matter how hungry she is, she can't figure out the bottle.

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
Old 06-21-2006, 02:58 AM

I didn't have any luck with my daughter taking a sippy cup when she was that young. Does your take one? I think leaving it in would be a good idea but may be hard for her to get milk out.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:58 AM

Get the cheap First Years disposable sippies. They don't have a valve or an airhole, just three little holes in the mouthpiece so they can't suck too fast on it and it only drips slowly if tilted. My daughter couldn't figure out a bottle but she had no problem with these cups.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I read in Dr. Sears that you can spoon feed them breastmilk and they will sort of lap it up? Or that you can give it to them by syringe. It would utake patience from your MIL though. That's the only thing I've read. I just know my doctor is on the very strict side and says NO LIQUID in a cup until 15 months because there is a 20% chance of early weaning if you give it? Ds is only 5 months so I am NOT speaking from experience here I do know that a woman at my LLL meeting couldn't figure out why her 8 month old was "weaning" himself. She had been giving him sippy cups of water (not the same thing, but thought you might want to know?) I just know it would break my heart for ds to wean early so I'll share that info. Good luck with figuring something out.

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Old 06-21-2006, 11:59 AM

I liked using the no-spill thing. It makes sucking more difficult and thus more similar to breastfeeding. You can also try a sippy cup with a straw, spoon-feeding, taking out the no-spill thing, or using a regular cup.

raising my two sunshine children.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:04 PM

Nuby Sipster Sippy Cup. It has the two handles on the side and a silicone spout so your baby will only have to press down on it to get the BM out. They are really easy for baby to use.

User Tag List