What would cause red urine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2006, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every once in awhile, since he was really small, I have noticed light reddish or orangey stains on ds's wet diapers. He is fully breastfed and intact. He never seems to have any pain when he's peeing (we do ec, but miss more than we catch! And our potty is bright red, so hard to tell there) and his penis looks perfectly normal. No inflammation or swelling.

Is a little blood in the urine from time to time normal or could this be a problem? I can't imagine what's causing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

he could be dehydrated. Nurse him more. and YOU drink more water too LOL The amount of water in your breastmilk = The amount of water you drink.

Of course if he's old enough, get him to drink some water too. If he's EBF then just up your water intake.

But if he's on solids, get him to chug water like ther'es no tomorrow, and up your water intake as well
Old 06-25-2006, 09:50 PM

It's possible it's "brick dust" aka urate cystals...

Ds son had it at 3 days old just before my milk came. Like you said, it was scant, no pain, etc... I did what PP said and it went away... nurse on demand or offere the breast more and increase your water...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t022600.asp

The color of the urine tells you whether baby is getting enough milk to keep him adequately hydrated. Pale or water-colored urine suggests adequate hydration; darker, apple-juice-colored urine (after the first four days) suggests that baby is not getting enough milk. If your baby is not getting sufficient amounts of milk, you may notice a "brick dust" residue on the diaper, due to urate crystals from overconcentrated urine (a normal finding in the first few days), which should disappear after increasing baby's milk intake. (Check Latch-on Basics and Signs of Efficient Latch-on and Suck for tips on improving baby's nursing.) Talk to your doctor to determine if your baby needs extra milk during the time he is learning to breastfeed more efficiently.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:09 PM

By "fully breastfed" do you mean no solids yet? If he's been eating beets that can discolor the urine. My dd had pink pee for a while after eating beets a couple weeks ago. It was totally weird.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:37 PM

It sounds like brick dust. Have the number of wet dipes gone down? Do they feel lighter than usual?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I never considered the possibility he may not be nursing enough. He's 7 months old and 22 lbs!!! We haven't started solids yet.

I will offer the breast more often and I will go drink a litre of water right now! There are times I get lax about staying hydrated myself. That could be it.

Thanks everyone.

User Tag List