teething biscuits -- choking hazard! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-26-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have a 6 month old that is teething like my dd, you might have decided to purchase some teething biscuits. I did just that. I went to Whole Foods and bought Healthy Times organic vanilla teething biscuits. She has two teeth and she's finger feed herself rice cereal before. Within about a minute I noticed a large piece missing. I caught it before she choked. My, my, it was scary. Be careful fellow women in charge of keeping babies alive, free, independant, and well rounded. I feel like it was ultimately too soon for her.

angel2.gif first pregnancy ended in m/c lady.gif I'm a SAHM, happily married eat.gif  with two beautiful daughters belly.gif  belly.gif and one on the way pos.gif Due: June 7, 2012

#2 of 11 Old 06-26-2006, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the reminder!! And I'm glad your little one is okay!
#3 of 11 Old 06-26-2006, 08:44 PM

Most of the finger foods I've looked at say to wait till 9 mos, baby is crawling, can chew...

G just decided to put the food into his mouth solo so we are super cautious about what we are giving him.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#4 of 11 Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I went out and bought some mesh feeders. The're pretty cool. I used banana and it was messy. My dishwasher didn't even get it clean. But, dd loved it and it was cleaner for her than her hand feeding herself (for those times when another mess would just put you over the edge.).

angel2.gif first pregnancy ended in m/c lady.gif I'm a SAHM, happily married eat.gif  with two beautiful daughters belly.gif  belly.gif and one on the way pos.gif Due: June 7, 2012

#5 of 11 Old 06-27-2006, 11:15 AM

We also use a mesh feeder. I agree the banana gets awful sticky but it works great. Now that she is teething she loves when I use a frozen banana.
#6 of 11 Old 06-27-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia622
Most of the finger foods I've looked at say to wait till 9 mos, baby is crawling, can chew...

G just decided to put the food into his mouth solo so we are super cautious about what we are giving him.
Nope. There is no age recommendation on the Healthy Times box.

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
#7 of 11 Old 06-27-2006, 09:32 PM

I just hang out with my ds when he's eating chunks of food....espeically those teething biscuits. They are great, but when he gets toward the end the usually shoves the whole thing in his mouth. Not a big peice, but big enough to choke on. When that happens or before it does, I take it away from him. He usually fusses,but oh well.
He gets his buiscuit and I don't have to worry as much.
#8 of 11 Old 06-27-2006, 09:44 PM

My ds loves the vanilla Healthy Times teething biscuits, and they always break apart on us, too. I didn't start giving them to him til he was 8 mos, and I just keep a constant eye on him whenever he's got one. I wonder if they'd stay in one piece better if you froze them first? Anyone ever try that?

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#9 of 11 Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 PM

I was suspicious of those biscuits for just that reason. I bought a mesh feeder recently, and there was an insert written by the guy who designed that particular feeder. He invented it because his son choked on a teething biscuit and almost died God, how awful.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#10 of 11 Old 06-27-2006, 10:22 PM

The story behind the mesh feeder is precisely why I've never given a teething biscuit - been too scared to!!

Sara, I'm glad you were there and noticed the chunka!
#11 of 11 Old 06-27-2006, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

hey hey hey How clever -- I am now putting the biscuits in the mesh feeder! She loves it. I love it. Brilliant!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page