Pacifier use.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-14-2006, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd hasn't used a pacifier, now 11 weeks old, until three days ago. She wnted to comfort suck, and unfortunately, due to thrush I was in a lot of pain and couldn't do it. So now she seems to want the pacfier all the time and not me. She is even eating less. How do I fix this? Or should I, since she has to start daycare in a month and may need the comfort there.

Oh, and its a soothie brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-14-2006, 03:56 PM

If it is making her eat less definatly ditch it! Maybe try & help her find her thumb? Good luck!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 11 Old 07-14-2006, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I did just that today, put it away, then rocked her through her upset. I hope she forgets about it soon!
#4 of 11 Old 07-14-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneeleann
I did just that today, put it away, then rocked her through her upset. I hope she forgets about it soon!
Good job & I'm sure she will.

Hope you're feeling better soon as well!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 11 Old 07-14-2006, 06:19 PM

My only thought is - with the daycare situation - it is easier to break a baby from a pacifier than a thumb. I sucked my thumb for a looong time. My parents tried everything to stop me. But, I'm a first time Mama.

angel2.gif first pregnancy ended in m/c lady.gif I'm a SAHM, happily married eat.gif  with two beautiful daughters belly.gif  belly.gif and one on the way pos.gif Due: June 7, 2012

#6 of 11 Old 07-14-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure how old your dd is, but rocking an 11 week old through an upset only b/c of the need to suck doesn't sound right to me? I know the OP couldn't do that do to thrush, but it sounds like the thrush is gone, right?

Can your dd comfort suck by nursing?

Eta: maybe I shouldn't have said that, I don't know the whole situation, sorry!

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#7 of 11 Old 07-14-2006, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

That is what I am wanting her to do, go back to using me for comfort sucking. I, in no way, want her to not do thatm it's just that now she wants the pacifier instead of me, and as a result is eating less. Thrush is mostly gone, so I am here for her now. Hopefully only a day or two and she will be back to using mommy.

arrgh, lol.
#8 of 11 Old 07-14-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
That is what I am wanting her to do, go back to using me for comfort sucking. I, in no way, want her to not do thatm it's just that now she wants the pacifier instead of me, and as a result is eating less. Thrush is mostly gone, so I am here for her now. Hopefully only a day or two and she will be back to using mommy.

arrgh, lol.
*hugs* I hope somebody has a good answer for you. My dd takes a paci....b/c she was a major comfort sucker but b/c of my over-active let down she wouldn't use the boob at all and screamed alot b/c of me trying to give it to her, plus I feel like it helps w/ her reflux. She is 10.5 months now and hardly sucks on it all. The only time she does is at night, if she doesn't want to nurse to sleep I give it to her. If you feel like she really needs it and if you feel like she is nursing enough, I wouldn't stress too much. Just follow your instincts

#9 of 11 Old 07-14-2006, 07:40 PM

I gave my dd a paci at the beginning (about 6 weeks old) because she was a comfort sucker big time and would reject the breast cuz of overactive letdown. She is very skinny, and has never been much of a bf-er. Anyway, recently I threw out her old nasty binky and replaced it with a different style, which she doesn't like as much. She's nursing so much more!! I would suggest using the paci as a last resort and not letting yourself feel guilty about it. You know what your baby needs. Now that you can nurse again comfortably, you can take the paci away. She'll get over it.
#10 of 11 Old 07-14-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaan
She'll get over it.
LOL, is that a joke?

#11 of 11 Old 07-15-2006, 01:48 AM

I'd say try to do without! I know sometimes that CONSTANT need to nurse seems unbearable, but if you can wait it out, you'll be happy you didnt get her hooked on the pacifier. My dd is now 5mo and we kinda halfheartedly "tried" to put one in her mouth a few desperate times (though I never had thrush) but she spit it out. Now I'm so glad she's paci-free! Maybe by the time you start daycare her sucking reflex will have lessened. For us, that change happened around 3 months.

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page