Car seat with newborns question - do you really need an infant seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I wasn't sure, and if the search feature was available I would use that!

Anyways, this is my question (now that we're pregnant I have lots of questions!)- we're planning on buying a Britax decathalon. I know you can use these from birth. My question is - in your opinion(s) do you really *need* an infant car seat (aka "the bucket") first? I mean, of course you don't *need* it. What I really mean is, is the convenience of the infant seat worth it? What have your experiences been? This will be our first baby so I am clueless! I know we want to sling as much as possible but I also am reasonable - i.e. if you don't have "the bucket" what do you do when you go to a restaurant or the grocery store with a newborn? I want to be able to put the baby down some of the time, kwim? I'm not the kind of person who feels like the baby needs to be in the sling like 24 hours a day.

Money isn't an issue, it's more just is it a waste - one of my friends said her son only fit into the seat for a short time. And I hate the idea of having too much unecessary baby gear.

Any opinions on this, or your own experiences? thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 05:50 PM

We have the bucket seat, but honestly, I don't think you really NEED to have one. Only if you don't plan on slinging the baby much in public. Ours stays in the car pretty much all the time. I certainly don't think it's a necessity, though. Our is borrowed, so we never had to buy one.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#3 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 05:59 PM

I noticed you live in MN, and being that you get some cold weather up there like we do, I wouldn't want to be without my bucket. I love that I can get the baby situated in his seat in the house and then put a blanket over the bucket to protect from the elements. Same with getting in and out of stores. If the wind is gusting I want the babe to be protected, and I definitely don't want to have to keep buckling and unbuckling him/her into the seat if we have multiple short stops. Even now with my 10 month old, if we have 3 quick ins and outs I hate that I have to buckle him and out that much. Especially because he hates that part! Some babies don't mind it, but if you have a babe who doesn't like the buckling up, that would be a pain. I also love that if we're at a store I can attach the bucket to the cart and have face to face interaction with the babe even when they're tiny. My ds didn't like being in a sling until he was 4 months, so I would have been lost without our bucket.

Hope that helps. Good luck to you!

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#4 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 06:15 PM

I am in ohio, baby was born in febuary. we never had a bucket. I just would tuck her in my jacket with me (useually in a rs). she stayed nice and warm. I didnt want to spend the money on something that was heavy and I wasnt going to use much if at all. I know if I did use one I would have ended up with a bruise on my leg everytime I did use it...........
#5 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 06:28 PM

I used the Decathlon since birth... worked great and I was never tempted to leave the baby in the bucket. If I had an infant seat... I would have been tempted to use it.. lol
#6 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 06:30 PM

if your in an area with extreme heat or cold, i advise getting one, you can get them up to 30lbs now so they last longer.
#7 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 06:41 PM

Okay(nak) I fought the bucket and swing and bouncer and cradle...but now iam glad i have them. The bucket is great for eating out with friends. if we go to a nice restraunt we take it inside but the baby spends all non eating time in our arms and he gets to nurse at the table while I eat. We love our sling and use it all the time. The bucket (if he dosent grow out of it by then) will come with us everwhere during the winter when the temp can drop to -40. But I wont use it unless I have to. The other gadgets come in handy while I am showering, sewing, typing, cleaning and folding laundry. I try to only put DS in the gadgets while he is sleeping and spend his awake times together. He does dig his bouncer with the bubbles and fish and music.

Also some babies dont fit in convertable carseats right away so a bucket would be best until they get a bit bigger. As for winter weather I would highly suggest one of those polar fleece carseat covers that zip up if your going to transport baby in the bucket, They cover babys face and are invaluable here in AK to keep our babies warmin the sub zero temps. You can always keep the bucket around for future babes or donate it to a local pregnancy resource center. Ours will go in storage for the next baby.
#8 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 07:08 PM

I know the regular convertible seats are safe and are supposed to fit babies 5pounds and up, but they just look so BIG with a tiny baby in them. Our daughter is almost 7 months old and we're getting ready to purchase a Britax Roundabout. The weather was also a factor for me. I know plenty of mamas on here don't mind taking the baby out to the car wrapped in a blanket or coat, but I prefered to put her in the seat first. We don't have a garage, and I just thought it was a better protection from the cold to have her in her seat with a seat cover. It's also handy in the summer because the seat can get very hot. My daughter overheats easily, too.

Check out the average growth charts for breastfed babies. There's a good one on kellymom. My dd has remained in about the 50% for most of her 6 1/2 months and isn't quite ready to grow out of the infant seat.

Another consideration is family planning. I know we'll have another baby before Julie has reached the 40 pound limit and moved to a booster. That was I'll have her infant seat for the new baby and not have to buy a very expensive 2nd Britax.
#9 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 07:09 PM

My 19 month old has been in a Roundabout since birth. I didn't do a bucket seat because we were dead broke when she was born and I didn't want to have to pay for a carseat twice before she was a year old (she actually would have been out of the seat at 6 months.) When she was little, I'd take her out of the seat and put her in the sling. If she had been asleep, she fell right back asleep.

Also, even though my dd was born in winter, we don't really have true winter weather here, so I didn't worry about the cold and what not.

Mama of three.

#10 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 07:15 PM

Although the convertible seats are rated from 7 (or is it 5?) pounds up, I personally would not feel comfortable putting a newborn in one of them. They are just too big and I don't feel like they can hold the baby securely. It feels like the baby gets swallowed up in it.

I personally have liked the "buckets" for reasons mentioned by other posters. I HATE carrying the baby around in a bucket -- it's heavy, it's awkward, and I prefer to have physical contact with my baby, e.g. in a sling. However, there are times when it comes in very handy. For example: when going somewhere that won't have anywhere else to put the baby down, like when I go to the chiropractor (or other doctor). Another example that a pp mentioned is restaurants. Yes, some of us like to go to restaurants sometimes and actually it's easier with a newborn than a slightly older baby, because the newborn will sleep the whole time -- but it's nice to be able to use two hands to eat, so the bucket is good for holding baby while you eat.

Also, there are certainly times when it's nice to be able to move baby from car to house, or whatever, without having to unstrap/disturb/wake her, and so forth. Particularly when the weather is bad. Yes, it's nice to say that you'd always just take the baby out and put him/her in your coat or whatever -- but personally, when it's snowing and freezing and the baby is all cozy in the bucket, I don't feel right taking her out of there and into the snow. And this becomes even more true once you also have a toddler to herd at the same time!

-Joan

Joan 39, single mama by choice to 10yo boy and 7yo girl

#11 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 07:34 PM

The lowest slots on the Briatx seats are 10". Britax says you can use the seat from birth as long as the slots aren't more than an inch above their shoulders. Both of my boys were about 7.5" for torso, so even though they were 7#, they would've been too small to use it correctly. We too have cold winters and the infant seats are great for not having to worry about that! If you don't want an infant seat, I would start w/ something like the Cosco Scenera (has 7" bottom slots) and then move to a bigger seat later.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#12 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 07:38 PM

I'll go with most of the pp's and vote in favor of having one...
I found that I didn't take the bucket out of the car most of the time - but, it was easier for me to get him between the carseat and the sling when we had it... moving up to the big car seat made it a little tougher for me.
Also, even though most of the time I could keep him asleep from the bucket to the sling, there were times when he'd be asleep in the car and I wanted to be sure he stayed that way when we got into the house, so I'd just bring the bucket inside. That meant only one transition, instead of bucket to sling to bed, if that makes sense.
I also agree with the pp's who mentioned dr appts and restaraunts!
I definitely didn't use it and the stroller the was most of my mainstream friend did, but the convenience made it worth it to me! Most of those friends are sad about the passing of the "bucket seat era" - and I am too, but less for the bucket seat than for my inability to use the sling so much!
HTH,
Cyndi
#13 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone so far, for your comments. I'm reading everything and taking it in. Very helpful information - especially regarding the weather-related stuff, which I hadn't thought about at all! It does get extremely cold here, and though I'm having a March baby we actually still have very cold weather that month. Hmm...seems like it certainly couldn't hurt to get the infant seat. ..
#14 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 07:40 PM

as you said, if money isnt a problem, I would get an infant seat along with a convertible when its needed. Babies r us carries a bucket that goes up to 30lbs now, which means it will last longer.
#15 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 08:33 PM

I didn't get one and wish I did. my dd hates the car seat, and I think it's because it's a bigger model...

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#16 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 08:40 PM

I use a Graco SafeSeat for my 3 m.o.. This particular seat has a higher weight/height limit than many of the other "bucket" type seats. It is also a bit heavier. I can barely carry the seat w/ my ds who is just over 12 lbs--time to start lifting those weights! I think the bucket seat is a necessity even if you're going to be carrying baby in a sling most of the time.
#17 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 09:29 PM

most convertabiles go from 5-40lbs, rearfaceing is 5-30, and ff is 20-40. I just got a britax marathon. it is 5-65 (I think my baby will prolly still fit it when it expires). and it is rf up to 33. She is 5.5 months now and at her 4.5 month appnt she was over 24", she just now has her shoulders even with the bottom slots.

when I take her to a restraunt (which is what I do if I go to one) I wear her. now that shes older she is perfectly content to hang out on my back so I can eat unobstructed. when she was younger (or now if she is also hungrey, which would be a problem even with a bucket) I just wear her on my front. Then I still have both hands, I just have to eat over her. which is an inconvience, but it works. (I useually put a napkin over her so I dont get crumbs or anything on her). there would have been NO WAY she would have let me eat while she sat in a bucket. she would have screamed and screamed. plus she would have needed to eat at some point during my meal when she was younger so I would have had to bring a carrier and the bucket and just left the bucket empty on the floor.
#18 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 09:35 PM

First I wanted a convertible,too, but honestly, when I saw them in the store in no way could I imagine how it would securely hold an infant, especially regarding head control.

So now I have a bucket.
#19 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 10:17 PM

For us a bucket is very useful/helpful. The way car seats protect babies is different for buckets and convertables and I would not have felt comfortable putting Ds in a contertable before now. Actually we already bought our Britax Boulevard but are going to keep using our Britax Bucket (forgot the name) until he outgrows it for several reasons.

1. Ds hates to be worn; slings only work when he's asleep. Our bucket was a clean space for him to hang out in a restaurant if we're eating hot (temp) food/drinks.
2. Ds likes being in arms but just now is very into eye contact and using the bucket allows him to be somewhere "sitting" safely and seeing/talking to me.
3. Ds HATES riding in the car. We can usually buy ourselves a mile or two by putting him in the bucket in the house/outside and then putting it into the car. Please note he does not hate his seat, just the motion of the car.
4. Born early in March, it was useful to us to bring the carseat into the house and put him in there since he can't be wearing layers under the straps. Now the same is true for out hot car.
#20 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 10:22 PM

We never had any problems with either DD in a convertible seat rated for 5lbs and up, we just added an extra head roller that you can add to almost any car seat. We are in New England and like a PP said I just wrapped the little ones in an extra blanket/jacket to get them into the car. I would actually feel that I had a much better handle on if they were cold or hot when they were being carried. So often I see babies in stores/restaurants all bundled up in an infant seat and definatley HOT !!!!

I think it's so much easier to carry a baby instead of a car seat. You would be amazed how many infants will stay asleep being moved from a car seat to a sling/arms. We took both girls to restaurants and I would even take them both by myself (newborn and toddler) without the assistance of a car seat or stroller and it worked out fine. It's actually a lot easier to open doors and get around without the bulk of an infant carrier I think.

Just my two cents, but I am somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to baby 'stuff' .

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, sounds like you'll be a wonderful mama if you are doing this much research in advance
#21 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 10:29 PM

nak
I guess I should add that its rare for us to actually carry the bucket around so weight/bulk isn't such an issue. U think that's a bit ironic since that seemed so important in pre-baby days. The bucket is a tool and we've found it to make some aspects of parenting easier for us. YMMV of course.
#22 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 10:30 PM

Our second daughter has been in a Britax Marathon since birth. We already had a pumpkin seat (bucket? I'm guessing they're the same but I've not heard that term.) and I kept that in the trunk of our van, so that when I went grocery shopping, etc and needed to haul her around before she could sit up on her own, I just put her in that. I would put it on the front seat of the car, take her out of the Marathon and put her into the pumpkin seat.

One thing I'll say about that solution is that you don't need to have any qualms about buying used pumpkin seat if you don't already have one - you're not using it for safety and so don't have to be concerned about how old it is or if it's been misused, through an accident, etc.

Planning to do it all again with baby number 3 here in a couple of months - I wouldn't trade our Britax seats for anything, and I wouldn't put my newborn in anything less... jmo.

Heidi
#23 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 10:31 PM

its actually best to get a carseat designed for a tiny infant, and if you want infant supports, make sure the car seat has them built in when you buy it..........because all the added extras like the head supports etc, havent been crash tested and can compromise the safety of the seat.

Also, you cant put bulky clothing or use blankets under the straps, it must go over the baby once already strapped in.
#24 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 10:37 PM

I like the bucket for infants for a lot of the same reasons as the PP's. I agree that I feel a bucket is safer and more convenient in the car. In a convertible you have to use it rear-facing for infants and it's harder to see the baby and have baby see you with a foot and a half of carseat above their heads. I also agree that it is nice to be able to go to and from the car with baby already strapped in.

Imagine all the times that could be useful: cold weather or hot (good point that carseats left in the car can get very hot and a bucket kept in the house will not), rain (who wants to stand in the rain while they struggle to buckle the straps?) or especially when you have older kids there are times when the baby is sleeping, you have a car full of groceries to get into the house, it's too hot to leave baby in car even for a few minutes and you've got older kids to deal with as well. In those circumstances it is very helpful to carry baby into the house in the bucket, bring in your groceries and your kids and then take baby out where the risk of baby waking up and wanting to nurse NOW is not such a big deal.

Even though I used a bucket I would take my babies out of the car and use a sling if I was going to be inside a store for a while or if I was at home or in a restaurant etc. but what if I'm just running into the post office to check the box (5 minutes tops) running into the bank to make a deposit, stopping by the rental office to drop off the rent, or grabbing one item at the market for dinner. Sometimes going in and out and buckling and unbuckling becomes a nightmare for those quick in and out stops we moms have to do. Now there'll be a time there when you'd got a toddler in a forward facing convertible and he can't do his own buckle yet that you'll live this nightmare but why buy trouble earlier than you have to?

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#25 of 40 Old 07-14-2006, 11:28 PM

We based our decision to get a bucket on Consumer Reports' recommendation. From the website (can't post link because it is for subscribers only):

"Your baby may outgrow an infant car seat quickly and become too heavy for you to use it as a carrier. As a result, you may find yourself having to buy a convertible car seat after your baby is 6 to 9 months old. However, our advice is still to start with an infant seat before moving up to a convertible seat."

Later on the site:

"Buying three seats instead of two may cost more, but it can pay off in protection and peace of mind." (the 3 refers to a booster for an older child)

This was in the "Quick Recommendations" section and they don't say how/why they reached this conclusion. However, I usually find them to be a good source, objective and not aimed at getting you to buy the most expensive or unnecessary stuff.
#26 of 40 Old 07-15-2006, 12:46 AM

I found it REALLY useful. I lost so much blood in my birthing time that I could not walk very far without feeling dizzy for the 1st 6-8 weeks. I was home much of my maternity leave by myself, so I would hold the baby in my lap while sitting and use the bucket to carry her from place to place. That way, if I fell, I'd feel like she was going to be safe.

I guess some mothers do well with exhaustion and having the physical ability to carry their babies everywhere. While I did sling a lot, I found it nice to be able to put her down in a restaurant, at a doc appt, etc and was not always able to carry her in a sling because my body just couldn't handle it.

PS: Another thing is that I like to get in the car FAST. I do not like to hang around my car for long (don't think it's safe). So I'd get the baby buckled into the infant car seat and then be able to plug the bucket into the holder quickly and then get in the driver's seat and go. I miss that with the Britax. I have to sit in the back seat and get her buckled in and it takes what seems like forever. I live near a city so it's something I think about.
#27 of 40 Old 07-15-2006, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd was born in September and we live in Wisconsin. Once it got cold, I was thankful for the bucket, I could keep her cozy easily. I still would have had to bundle her up to pull her from the car into the store, it was just easier. Once it warmed up I stopped pulling the bucket out of the car. I don't think it's been moved since Feb. at least. Now she rides in one of her many slings, is carried or rides in the cart.

I like the bucket for cold weather, but if I lived somewhere sunny and 70's I would skip it.
#28 of 40 Old 07-15-2006, 03:40 AM

We have a 'bucket seat'--with DD#1 we used it only about 4 1/2 months then got the Britax Marathon and have used it since. I love it! She never stayed in the carseat regardless so it was kind of pointless even in the winter and she was born in october(31st) so it was during the harsh winter months... Now with DD#2 we are currently using it also but we just ordered another Britax, I hate it ('the bucket')personally.. and so have both of my children.. With our next children I'll just start from using convertibles..Living in South Dakota the winters are terrible just like in MN but I would always put her in the sling wherever we were going and have her bundled up if we were doing something that would have us outside..
#29 of 40 Old 07-19-2006, 05:42 AM

I have had two March babies in Minnesota. With our first, we had a bucket seat for the car we didn't use much and used a Britax Roundabout (convertible) from birth most of the time. With our second, we didn't use the bucket seat at all (we'd borrowed it with our first). Granted, I have 9 lb newborns, but they fit just fine from birth in the Roundabout. Also, my first outgrew the bucket when he was 2.5 months old -- 26" is the standard height limit and it doesn't seem like people pay as close attention to that as the weight limit.

As for dealing with the cold, we didn't bring him outside too often that first month, and by April, it's not insanely cold anymore, but we'd keep a blanket on him in the car and just make sure we kept it around him until we got indoors. Once you get used to latching them, it doesn't take all that long.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#30 of 40 Old 07-19-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
26" is the standard height limit and it doesn't seem like people pay as close attention to that as the weight limit.
All seats made since Aug 05 are required to have a 29" limit, some have a 30" limit. Also, height is just a guideline and as long as baby is under the weight limit and has at least an inch of shell above their head, they can still use the seat safely.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page