6 wk dd gasping for air and wheezing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-28-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6 wk dd will occasionally wheeze while she is nursing or sleeping. It does not happen when she is awake and not eating. I have also noticed that when she sleeps she will stop breathing for a few seconds and then gasp really loudly and start breathing again. She only gasps and wheezes a few times a day but it is freaking me out. It is getting more frequent. Is this typical for an infant? My older dds never did this. Her checkup is on August 10th, should I take her in earlier? TIA

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#2 of 18 Old 07-29-2006, 12:58 AM

It would worry me enough to at least call the nurse in the office and ask them about it. I know some babies are noisy sleepers, but I'm not sure it includes what you are talking about. There is a family history of asthma in my family so I worry about breathing problems.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#3 of 18 Old 07-29-2006, 01:03 AM

Okay, I don't know if it's the same thing, but when my first was about that old, I ran terrified to the ER for something that sounds similar. Turns out she needed to be burped. I felt so silly, but she was gasping for breathe and I was terrified!! My paramedic friend said he couldn't count the number of times he was woken inthe middle of the night because of a newborn that needed to be burped.

Try burping. If that doesn't help, definantly seek medical attention.
#4 of 18 Old 07-29-2006, 01:03 AM

I'd call her doctor just to make sure.

However, with that said, I remember my daughter making some odd wheezy noises when she was about that old, and being scared about it. She's fine now.
#5 of 18 Old 07-29-2006, 01:07 AM

I would also call, just to be sure....but DS definitely had periods of a couple seconds during sleep where he would stop breathing, and then the next breath would be more of a gasp. He did it all the time, and has grown out of it now.

winn

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#6 of 18 Old 07-29-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearaina
My 6 wk dd will occasionally wheeze while she is nursing or sleeping. It does not happen when she is awake and not eating. I have also noticed that when she sleeps she will stop breathing for a few seconds and then gasp really loudly and start breathing again. She only gasps and wheezes a few times a day but it is freaking me out. It is getting more frequent. Is this typical for an infant? My older dds never did this. Her checkup is on August 10th, should I take her in earlier? TIA
I would take her in earlier. These are not symptoms of a baby who needs to be burped (I actually am a paramedic).

You are lucky to have observed this, actually. Sleep apnea is a warning signal to parents.....knowing this about your baby may actually help you to prevent SIDS. Get it checked out ASAP. At the very least, they may want you to put baby on an apnea monitor at night.
#7 of 18 Old 07-29-2006, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will check in with the doctor and see what happens.

#8 of 18 Old 07-29-2006, 11:37 AM

I would get it checked out to be sure..but it sounds like reflux. My 6 week old also does this, as did my last two babies. When babies have reflux but do not tend to actually spit up too much, they can sound like that.

~C~
#9 of 18 Old 07-29-2006, 05:07 PM

5{\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0e248]I would get it checked out to be sure..but it sounds like reflux. My 6 week old also does this, as did my last two babies. When babies have reflux but do not tend to actually spit up too much, they can sound like that.

~C~[/QUOTE]

I agree. My LO would wheeze a lot as well. If feeding and they wheeze it might be a strong let down reflex, when sleeping I would say it was reflux.

He had a mild reflux but I would say he can control it now, and does not wheeze anymore. It sucks as you cannot put them down right away after feeding.

A.
#10 of 18 Old 07-29-2006, 05:54 PM

Not to scare you but when my daughter was born she had a congenital heart defect and gasping for air during feedings is one of the danger signs the cardiologist told me to watch out for. (It can indicate an enlarged heart taxing the lungs, amongst other things.) If this is her problem they would find it with a chest x-ray and/or echocardiogram.

Again I don't mean to scare you but that's an example of a serious problem that is VERY treatable if it is identified early!

ETA: 4-6 weeks is one of the most common ages of onset for problems eating and breathing related to a heart defect. I hope your baby's okay.
#11 of 18 Old 07-30-2006, 02:20 AM

what heart defect? my son was also born with a heart defect and they told us to watch his color and for signs of not getting enough oxygen....i would take her to the doc. but then again she may just be getting used to breathing....
#12 of 18 Old 07-30-2006, 03:19 AM

VSD. The difficulty breathing during feedings is a sign of congestive heart failure, which can sometimes be a complication of VSDs. Turned out to be a non-issue for us as her defect closed itself by six weeks, but it was something they reiterated frequently in the early days. The cardiologist explained that feeding is the most difficult thing a newborn has to do, so if they are starting to have heart and lung problems you will most likely first notice symptoms while they are eating.
#13 of 18 Old 08-02-2006, 03:13 PM

Did you take her in? Any news?

~C~
#14 of 18 Old 08-02-2006, 04:08 PM

My .02---her bedding? Yours? Feather pillows/comforter? Have you dusted the nooks & crannies lately? Old mattress? Rugs/carpet? Many, many places for mold spores & dust & mites etc...could be allergies.
#15 of 18 Old 08-02-2006, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

We had an apt this afternoon, and she has reflux. I mentioned the heart thing to the doc and he said that her heart and lungs sounded great (big sigh of relief). He put her on Zantac. Not real sure if I want to give it. Also, he said the gasping thing is when she spits up but it pools in the back of her throat; there is a reflex or something that shuts down breathing for a few seconds and then makes the gasping sound when she starts to breathe. I guess this is so she doesn't inhale the spit up? She is eating well and is 12.5 pounds, so not huge but a good size, which apparently ruled out some other things with similar symptoms but cause poor feeding/growth. Thanks for the advice and support, ladies. This is why I love MDC !

Anyone esle give their babes Zantac?

there are certainly a lot of allergens floating around our home...hmmm....

#16 of 18 Old 08-02-2006, 08:04 PM

Oh I'm glad her heart is fine, but I am also glad you had it checked!

I am in no way a medical professional, not even on tv, but my opinion is this: if you're reluctant to give her the meds, and she's growing fine, maybe you should wait a while and try some other solutions first. You can always go back and add the medicine later. If I were in your shoes I'd probably try some things like keeping her upright when feeding and directly afterwards. And I'd probably ask a midwife or naturopath about some natural remedies. I'd be really reluctant to take Zantac myself, personally, much less give it to a newborn, so I don't blame you for hesitating.
#17 of 18 Old 08-02-2006, 09:22 PM

I gave my daughter the Zantac, and it didn't do a damn thing. It was just a stress trying to give it to her....in our case, not worth it.

I am tempted to try it this time around though because Williams seems to be pretty bad, and he is not eating a lot at once...he is ding that "snacking" thing...

You can always try it, see if it makes things better, and stop if you son't want to continue..

~C~
#18 of 18 Old 08-03-2006, 11:02 AM

I wonder if there is some kind of reflux support thread? In my "homeroom" thread (maymamas04 on toddler board) there are two mamas dealing with this stuff and one did do zantac, can't remember how it all panned/is panning out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page