June 2006 Mamas- here is a space! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - anyone think next month we should do weekly threads? It would cut down on the number of pages and make posts easier to find - since we are such a chatty group of fascinating women
I think weekly thread is a great idea! That way the posts will be easier to find and we can do it like we did in the DDC, like having a subject or question to answer....good call BFM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 03:30 PM

Here's my intro and birth story. I wrote this about a month and a half ago when the emotions from Joshua's birth were still pretty raw but I'm doing much better now. Now my main focus is just increasing my milk since we're having problems in that dept. I wish I found you ladies months ago though. The due date club I belonged to definatly wasn't AP oriented and I felt a little out of it at times.

DH and I planned for a natural, non-interventive vaginal delivery. Two weeks past my due date we ended up with a failed induction and a c-section. Our baby was estimated to be pretty big, and I was a week and a half late so we consented to an induction. Three doses of cervidil, lots of pitocin, a couple of days late, broken water, and the baby still wasn't coming down. At one point of time my midwife said "You really have to think about whether this baby is going to come out of your vagina." We trusted her and she really didn't think I was going to have him that way and since my water had broken there wasn't any chance to turn back and wait either. If I think about it I just want to cry. I still have my beautiful baby but it wasn't supposed to be like this. I feel violated by my body and my ability as a woman. I really really need someone to talk to about this. All of my friends got pregnant easily and had their vaginal births. If I think about it I just want to cry... I am crying. They didn't want it as much as we did either. We read and planned and took a 12 week Bradley Method class. I just feel so betrayed that this had to happen. I love my baby so much I just didn't think he'd arrive like that. The worse part is that I may have to keep having cesareans since most doctors (atleast in my area) will no longer do VBACs and the rate is going down. The hospital I was at didn't do them at all. Our midwife said that you can always just arrive at the hospital 9cm and ready to push and they can't turn you away or force you into the OR but I don't want it to come to that next time.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#363 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
Bundlefishmama - maybe your son has systemic candida (systemic yeast).I'd get him on some acidophilous and see if it helps the sensitivies.
Korin - thanks for the reminder, that is a possibility, we did have a little battle with yeast back when we first came home from the hospital. I figured it was gone by now because his tongue and diaper area are clear, but I hadn't really thought about it still being in his GI system. I don't recall for sure offhand - would have to look it up again - but I think in our LLL training we were told that acidophilus is what adults need in their intestinal flora to balance yeast, but bifidophilus is what infants need in theirs. Don't quote me on that though - I'd have to check, my memory these days is not what it used to be! :

Even if he does still have some yeast, I still suspect a food intolerance as well, because he has symptoms other than just the GI ones - infant acne and static-y/sticking-up hair being two of them that are usually food-related. The spitup and gas could definitely be yeast, but I don't think that would cause the blood in the stool (although I am not 100% sure of this so correct me if I'm wrong, if anyone has heard differently!) I think we'll try some probiotics either way though, it can only help!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#364 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 03:36 PM

So Marley, Elijah, and I went to visit my mom over the weekend. We had a really great time. (She only live about an hour and a half away.) It was nice to hang out w/ her since I've only seen once since moving back from Cali.

Salesai - I too am jealous () of pg mamas right now! :

I found out over the weekend that my brother and his g/f are having baby number 2! She's about 2 months pg (due I think at the end of March/beginning of April). They have one dd who just turned 2 at the end of July. So this will be grandbaby number 4 in my family. I think they got a little jealous since we now have a boy....that's what they're trying for.
#365 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 03:40 PM

Oh ya..and I think a weekly thread would be great. Good idea!

And someone please tell me why the heck I keep thinking about a baby number 3??? : It's driving me crazy! Driving back from my moms today I was kinda daydreaming about it thinking to myself, "hmm if I got pg right now we'd have the baby say, in May..."

Am I completely nuts over here? Maybe it because I just love this baby stage. I'm so in love with everything. For some reason I keep thinking that if there is a baby #3..it'll be a boy. WHO KNOWS..

And Taryn
#366 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 04:57 PM

So, I am apparently not the only one jealous of other pregnant women or thinking about the next baby!
I'm glad to know that!

"I just figure it doesn't matter how old they are (yes I know, sperm quality declines with age, etc.) but primarily, it's up to us in terms of having more kids I'm not one to worry about things like DH being "too old" as the (future) kids grow up - I think age is a state of mind, really, and people are taking much better care of themselves these days and living longer, healthier lives."

BFM, good point! I am 25, so my DH and I are about 17 yrs apart. I keep telling him it doesn't matter how old HE is! Besides, I can be very convincing! :

On another topic.
So, Philip has very mild cradle cap and very mild acne... I thought this was normal, should I be wondering about food allergies?
#367 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn237
Here's my intro and birth story. I wrote this about a month and a half ago when the emotions from Joshua's birth were still pretty raw but I'm doing much better now. Now my main focus is just increasing my milk since we're having problems in that dept. I wish I found you ladies months ago though. The due date club I belonged to definatly wasn't AP oriented and I felt a little out of it at times.

DH and I planned for a natural, non-interventive vaginal delivery. Two weeks past my due date we ended up with a failed induction and a c-section. Our baby was estimated to be pretty big, and I was a week and a half late so we consented to an induction. Three doses of cervidil, lots of pitocin, a couple of days late, broken water, and the baby still wasn't coming down. At one point of time my midwife said "You really have to think about whether this baby is going to come out of your vagina." We trusted her and she really didn't think I was going to have him that way and since my water had broken there wasn't any chance to turn back and wait either. If I think about it I just want to cry. I still have my beautiful baby but it wasn't supposed to be like this. I feel violated by my body and my ability as a woman. I really really need someone to talk to about this. All of my friends got pregnant easily and had their vaginal births. If I think about it I just want to cry... I am crying. They didn't want it as much as we did either. We read and planned and took a 12 week Bradley Method class. I just feel so betrayed that this had to happen. I love my baby so much I just didn't think he'd arrive like that. The worse part is that I may have to keep having cesareans since most doctors (atleast in my area) will no longer do VBACs and the rate is going down. The hospital I was at didn't do them at all. Our midwife said that you can always just arrive at the hospital 9cm and ready to push and they can't turn you away or force you into the OR but I don't want it to come to that next time.
Taryn, so sorry your birth experience was not what you had hoped for and prepared so hard for. Have you looked into any of the post-c/s support groups? I don't know much about them personally but I know they exist and have helped friends of mine IRL, and I'm sure someone around here can point you in the right direction. And I don't know where you live, but when the time comes if you look into it you may find a doc willing to try a VBAC - one of my best friends IRL just had a VBA2C, which is really unheard of around here in the litigious NE! Her baby was born 4 days before ours were. She looked around forever for a doc who would let her try a VBA2C, and she had given up but then found one in her 7th month and switched (she had to go across the river from Philly into NJ, about an hour trip but it was worth it for her). And who knows, the climate may change in favor of VBACs if there's more/better research done. My point just being that if you look around and maybe look a little farther from home if possible, you may find that by the time you're pg again you will have options other than a repeat c/s. So FWIW I would try not to focus on the future and just enjoy your precious baby!! Easier said than done, I know, but at least a few of the awesome ladies in this DDC went through similar experiences and hopefully this board will be a good support to you!

About your milk supply - are you working with a good LC or LLL Leader? If you're not already, you might want to look up your local LLL group and go to a meeting; it might be really helpful to have that information and support. I know there are several moms in my groups who have dealt with milk supply issues as a result of PCOS, thyroid disorders, separation/illness at birth, etc.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#368 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai
BFM, good point! I am 25, so my DH and I are about 17 yrs apart. I keep telling him it doesn't matter how old HE is! Besides, I can be very convincing! :

On another topic.
So, Philip has very mild cradle cap and very mild acne... I thought this was normal, should I be wondering about food allergies?
Nice to know someone else with a large age gap - has it presented any issues for you guys? It really hasn't been much of a problem for us, I think because my DH was in school forever (Master's and then Ph.D.) so when we met, even though I was 22 and he was 33, we were actually at similar points in our lives, in a sense just getting started - in fact he had moved back in with his folks to save money while writing his dissertation, and I was the one with a good job and my own place!

About the infant acne and cradle cap - if it's very mild it can be normal, but it should be cleared up by around this point, so I'd just watch it if I were you - if it's normal it will be gone soon on its own, and if it's not, it will likely get worse and you'll notice other symptoms of allergies. I wouldn't worry just yet.

#369 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2girlies
I don't think J.C has any sensitivities, but he does spit up alot more than the girls did. They didn't reallyl spit up at all, but with J.C, I keep a burp cloth with me everytime I feed him. I never used one w/ the girls. Every time I burp him, he spit up just a little. Not projectile or anything, but Very wet burps Do y'all think his tummy is upset by something Im eating or are some babies just spit up-y more than others?
Sounds normal to me, Kelly - what Andrew has had is way different - especially before I cut out dairy, he would have really bad projectile vomiting several times a day. I mean like gagging, then spitting up several times in row with big streams shooting out a couple inches in an arc (sorry - TMI!) and coming out of his nose, too! Then the poor baby would be choking for a minute after trying to get the spitup out of his nose and mouth. It was so sad Now he has more the wet-burp kind you're talking about. But he's still uncomfortable and seems to have that back-arching reflux thing going on - and tons of gas when he stools. My oversupply/overactive letdown doesn't help - he sucks down too much air when he nurses, even with all the "tricks" I know to try. Madeleine loves it though - she has been thrilled with the new milk supply since her brother was born - she always tells me "THIS mama milkie is YUMMY!" probably in contrast to the colostrum she had to make do with for months!

OK, I just noticed it's nearly 3:30 and I have gotten *absolutely nothing* done today. Maybe because I've been on MDC all day???? Can you tell I've been avoiding housework by all these posts in a row???

#370 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 05:37 PM

I'll join the large age gap group! DH is 9 1/2 years older than I am, and we met when I was 19 and he was a freshly divorced 29. His ex is 9 years his senior, and he finds it rather entertaining that she graduated from high school when I was 8 months old!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#371 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, I just noticed it's nearly 3:30 and I have gotten *absolutely nothing* done today. Maybe because I've been on MDC all day???? Can you tell I've been avoiding housework by all these posts in a row???
So I am not alone with this concept??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#372 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - anyone think next month we should do weekly threads? It would cut down on the number of pages and make posts easier to find - since we are such a chatty group of fascinating women
YES!!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#373 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
So I am not alone with this concept??
Absolutely not! The only thing I've accomplished today is running a load of diaper laundry and taking pictures of clothes I need to post for sale on the TP! Other than that, I've been totally useless! It doesn't help that I just got a laptop with wireless internet that i LOVE! Now I can sit on the couch or floor while Sam plays instead of in the office.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#374 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 06:52 PM

Welcome, Taryn - I hope you can gain some peace about your birth, I'm sorry it wasn't at all what you had planned, but glad you have your babe in arms!

I can join the baby acne train too, though I seem to be keeping it mild with her breastmilk facials...

DD slept 7-1/2 hours last night in one chunk, then 3-1/2 I don't think DS did that until he was almost 5 months old...if she wasn't so chunky (er...um....I mean, "healthy" ) I'd be worried, but clearly she'll be OK skipping a night feeding every once in a while. She's well over 12 pounds now, I did the scale thing too - her 2-month appt is next Monday, so we'll see what her official stats are.

On a crappier note, I have some adhesions, or strained my muscular layer incision or something...my last section healed up like a champ, but I'm apparently having some scar tissue tearing on my internal incision - OUCH. My MWs said to give it about a week, and gave me things to look out for for it getting worse, but MAN, does it hurt again. Anyone else having this unfortunate problem? Any suggestions for dealing with it?

Ah well, time for me to get dinner started; 'see' everyone later~

#375 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 06:59 PM

I also got NOTHING done today. Well, I went to the post officfe and had the best intentions to get some errands done, but William started getting super fussy. Then when I tried to return a dress to the wrong store, I decided to bag it and come home. Now I have been sitting here....useless!! Actually, I got my flyers for my Tastefully Simple open house done, so technically I was productive.

William slept 6 hours straught last night. WOOHOO!!!

I better go get a shower...I left some sexy undies in the shower for my DH to find this morning, I think that means I better plan on being "active" tonight!! Or I can just be a tease...

~C~
#376 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 07:23 PM

Hi everyone. Talula is 2 months old today and weighs 14 lbs., 15 oz. Holy smokes! She's doubled her birth weight. The doctor wanted to know if I had been exclusively breastfeeding, or if I had been slippin' her somethin'. I hate going to the doctor so much. The doctor is actually really cool, but it's always the nurses who are like, "What? You're not doing vaccinations today? Well, you have to sign this and this and this, then." I wish I felt more confident while on the spot like that, you know? Even in the hospital, it was hard having the nurses question every decision I made. While I was at my weakest, no less.
#377 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
I better go get a shower...I left some sexy undies in the shower for my DH to find this morning, I think that means I better plan on being "active" tonight!! Or I can just be a tease...

~C~
If I tried to do that, DH would come back with, "honey, you left your panties in the bathroom. I put them in the hamper for you." He's not so good with the subtle messages. As he says, "just kiss me...you don't need to be sneaky." :

#378 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248

~C~
: Thats awesome!!!! Now Im thinking I could slip some sexy undies in dh's bookbag for him to find at work tomorrow!! Thanks for the idea Caroline!

BFM~Im sorry that poor Andrew had to go thru all that yuckiness. Hopefully he's feeling better now that you've cut out stuff from your diet. No projectile vomiting, just the normal spit up, I guess. I forgot that his gasiness could be from my overactive letdown too. I lean back when my milk starts to come in, but sometimes he still chokes and sputters. The girls used to pop off and scream as I sprayed across the room but he gulps it down like a champ!! Maybe all this chugging is getting him ready for college and frat parties!
#379 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 09:15 PM

Papayapetunia--

WHOA that is impressive weight gain! Aurora is 10 weeks now and weighed in this morning at 14 lbs, 4 oz. But she was 9/4 at birth!

We put her in a size 6 months dress someone sent us and it was so short she had to wear it with pants. : What is WITH these baby clothes sizes? She currently fits some 0-3 months, some 6-9 months, some 6 months...and has items in each of those sizes that is too small, too. And she's not even three months. Huh??
#380 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 10:38 PM

For what it's worth, I think the weekly thread idea is a fine one. Not quite sure yet whether I'm really part of this gang, so do what you want and I'll follow along.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#381 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK
Not quite sure yet whether I'm really part of this gang
Sure you are!!

#382 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Taryn - welcome to our little club. I'm part of the "i had a crappy c-section" club also. There is a great support thread in birth and beyond. come on over.
BFM, You're right it is bifidophilous. Sounds like you have a good handle onwhat your DS needs. blood in the stool could be yeast.. it it's really bad. poor little guy!

Ruby is finally asleep after a busy day. I got a lot done today! Had friends over for coffee (and they both got adjusted) this morning, did 3 loads of laundry, diapers are out sunning, dishwasher loaded and ran, went to the bank, and BRU to get a baby bath, and a walk around the neighborhood. Now i'm pooped!!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#383 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 10:43 PM

Megs you are totally part of this gang! why wouldyou feel likeyou aren't?

Oh I'd love a weekly or bimonthly thread. eaiser to manage

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#384 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 11:09 PM

Oh, I was just feeling a bit martyr-ish... sometimes passed over. But I know most of y'all have been together since pre-baby times and that's quite a bond!

I'm in the "completely unproductive thanks to MDC" club, too. I have a homework assignment (or two) that I'm totally putting off and instead drooling over slings and wraps and posting about drooling about slings and wraps... vicious cycle. Also, it's a sucky class to be taking when you're a new mommy: Abnormal Psychology. Talk about topics that you want far, far away from you during this emotional time! It's so hard to get myself to do the reading.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#385 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, I think the weekly thread idea is a fine one. Not quite sure yet whether I'm really part of this gang, so do what you want and I'll follow along.
Hey, Nevie's a June baby, and you're a June mama, so here's your home!

#386 of 510 Old 08-22-2006, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

I was due in June, Maggie came in Feb but since it was the DUE date club, I stuck around! But your baby came in June so why not?

Maggie has officially gained 10 lbs since birth. Now if I could just loose 10 lbs!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#387 of 510 Old 08-23-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Oh, I was just feeling a bit martyr-ish... sometimes passed over. But I know most of y'all have been together since pre-baby times and that's quite a bond!

I get like that too...but of course you are part of the June gang!!

~C~
#388 of 510 Old 08-23-2006, 12:35 AM

Hi everyone -- It's been soooo long since I posted here! I keep going to the toddler forums and not so much to the life w/ a babe ones, but I just tried to read the entire thread... whew!!! You ladies are chatty!

Anna is doing great -- she hasn't been weighed since 10 days pp but she MUST be like 15 lbs. She's huge! She's got a lovely double chin that creates sour milk smelling stuff all the time...

I'm totally in with her & my toddler. But today he drove me insane... he's getting his two year old molars and that has been tough.

Taryn -- I had a totally similar birth experience as you, but mine was my SECOND c-section. It was a huge downer, I wanted a vbac so bad. My first c-section was because DS was a footling breech and I was 10cm dialated. This one was because DD was asynclictic and I pushed for almost 3 hours, to exhaustion. I'm so sorry for you, and I can really know how you feel. Just know that it's totally normal to feel sad and angry about it for a long time, and let yourself cry and find people to talk to. Join ICAN online for your area. If you start feeling really depressed, it might help to look for someone in your area who has experience with birth trauma. Now I'm starting to think (already, yes) if a vba2c will be possible for me in the future... (crazy, I know).

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#389 of 510 Old 08-23-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM
Hi everyone -- It's been soooo long since I posted here! I keep going to the toddler forums and not so much to the life w/ a babe ones, but I just tried to read the entire thread... whew!!! You ladies are chatty!

).
And I rarely venture to the toddler forums but hang out here...

William has his two month check up and follow up from the meningitus today. I think he has doubled in size, so I am anxious to see how big he is. Everything else seems healthy enough!

My toddler turns two today. Wow. What is weird is I started TTC him here on these boards (well, not really on the boards, but I was posting in the TTC forum). Now I have had two babies.

I also like the weekly thread..this is getting too long!!

~C~
#390 of 510 Old 08-23-2006, 10:48 AM

Yay Maggie!

And I'm in the boat with Amy...due in June, but delivered in April. Good thing the word DUE is in there, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
I was due in June, Maggie came in Feb but since it was the DUE date club, I stuck around! But your baby came in June so why not?

Maggie has officially gained 10 lbs since birth. Now if I could just loose 10 lbs!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page