Forum Jump: 

#421 of 510 Old 08-24-2006, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco4cloth

I won't wish what I am going through on ANYONE, while maybe Tom Crusie
Amen, sister! Keep up that sense of humor. There were several sarcastic references to a "silent birth" during my labor & delivery. My midwife cracked, "Yeah, her 'silent birth' was an epidural."

But anyway... glad you're seeking help and doing what you have to do to keep on' moving. Keep us posted about the hearing tests.

I'm chuckling after scanning the thread topics before coming to the June mamas -- someone posted that they are sick of the "sleeping through the night" question. No. Doubt. This gaggle of mommies at the group I go to on Thursdays is, like, obsessed about sleeping time. I just want to scream "It doesn't matter!!! Holy crap! Your baby is, like, a minute old!" But then, I guess I can't complain because Nevie does sleep for 6-hour stretches at night. Oh, and she's 12# 5oz now! 8 weeks old today!

But on a more positive note about the Mommy group, yesterday both of the women I got to chatting with were Northwesterners! One from Portland and one from Albany. I went to the Univ of Portland, and that city is one of my favorite topics, so it was great to have adult conversation about crappy tax laws, wine and beer ;-)

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#422 of 510 Old 08-24-2006, 06:41 PM

Megs_bk-
my Olivia has the same birthday as yours! She also sleeps 6-7 hrs at a time amd is around 12-13#. keep up the good work. Isee you liked my been caught pumping story!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#423 of 510 Old 08-24-2006, 08:20 PM

Elijah has been rather clingy these past couple days. Anyone elses babe doing that? It's probably a growth spurt or something..since he is constantly nursing. At least he likes being in the sling so I can get stuff done during the day!
#424 of 510 Old 08-24-2006, 08:48 PM

Sam is going through clingy times too, especially today because she got shots. Unfortunately, her legs hurt, so she wants to be held but not, and the sling is a tad snug to get her in and out of it since mama's pg belly and boobs are starting to get in the way. I'll have a wrap soon though, so it'll be much more adjustable and I'll have a much happier Bubba!

And yeah, the growth spurts are when she clings the most. She just wants to sleep sprawled out on my chest all day. Moby wrap, here I come!

And she's also sleeping 6 hours straight at night, and weighs 12lb! Granted, it took us 4 months to get to sleeping that long.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#425 of 510 Old 08-24-2006, 10:23 PM

Ugh. I hear it on the clingy thing, sisters. Today Nevie decided to throw her "I like my morning nap!" routine out the window. Well... the "I don't mind being laid DOWN for my morning nap!" routine, anyway. I was all geared up to finish a workout tape I tried to start *yesterday* during a nonexistent laid-down morning nap. Whatever. Of course, two seconds in the Moby, even with me sitting down, and the girl is out. I would just go for a freakin' walk, except now it's after 10am and it's grooooosssss outside. Doesn't she know that Mama needs some endorphins to stay happy, too? And to start feeling less like a sausage? And to be a good fitness role model for her like I never had? Aaaahhhhhh. I'm just grumpy because I had a cyst removed from the inside of my lower lip on Monday and my outer lip is still numb, the incision was big (for a lower lip), is still painful, and it's the most annoying thing ever.

Oh well. At least I can do homework with her in the Moby. [snort] Or do the dishes. Or other housework. There's so much, really... maybe if I think of it as a workout... hmmmm...

Medicmama -- 30 June babies are the best, aren't they? I was so excited she hung on until after midnight so that would be her birthday. She shares it with one of my favorite Aunts.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#426 of 510 Old 08-24-2006, 11:35 PM

Is my babe the only one that isn't crazy now about being in a sling, wrap, mei tai, or other form of baby holder? Elliot will sleep in one, but once he wakes, he wants to be held. I could take him out and hold him in the same exact position and he's happy!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#427 of 510 Old 08-24-2006, 11:38 PM

Hannah is sometimes like that.. Esp. if we're at home- She won't want to be in the sling.
#428 of 510 Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 PM

Nevie gets mad in the sling... but I think that's because it's too small and it's really uncomfortable for her. She's cool in the Moby, though. When I first put her in it this morning when she was a happy baby, she spent about 5 minutes just staring at me full-on in the eyes and smiling. MELT!!! Oops, there go the boobs a'tingling'...

And I got my workout in, so I'm happy. time to eat! I didn't eat enough yesterday, so I have some makeup assignments today.

#429 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 12:02 AM

I think Hannah would really enjoy the moby and I could get a lot of things done but I forgot how to put it on. I remember with DD1 she the moby!
#430 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleighsmilkbar
I think Hannah would really enjoy the moby and I could get a lot of things done but I forgot how to put it on. I remember with DD1 she the moby!
Oh! Get on their website www.mobywrap.com and the instructions are there. I practiced with a stuffed bear like they recommend. I'm sure once you start doing it, it will all come back like riding a bike.

I wore the Moby to my Mom group yesterday and it was definitely a conversation piece. Everyone was like "Bjorn bjorn blah blah bjorn" so I got on my soapbox a little bit. Not too bad! Trying not to scare people away... Mostly the Bjorn kills my shoulders and that's why I went looking for an alternative. Glad to find out that the Moby is better for Nevie's little spine, too.

#431 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 AM

thank you!
#432 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 01:04 AM

double post ...

#433 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 AM

Well dh left this morning for the weekend. He's doing a show near Detriot. I ended up waking up w/ him @ 6:30am so of course the kids woke up after I got out of bed. (We were all in the same bed) I think they can sense it or something, yk? This will be our first official weekend alone together. Dh spent a weekend away once before but we went to MIL's house. Let's cross our fingers everything goes well. We'll have fun though...probably go to the library constantly! Actually...I do have ALOT of things to keep me busy...

Elijah is 2 months, as of the 23rd. *sigh* I feel like he's growing up all ready! What happened to my little newborn boy? Next thing I know he'll be off to college or something! Why wasn't I like this much w/ dd? I mean, I couldn't wait for her to turn 3, 6, 12, etc months. I was always excited about the new things she would do. I am excited about ds doing new things but I also feel time is just flying by. Sheesh, things are alot different the second time around! :
#434 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama7
Elijah is 2 months, as of the 23rd. *sigh* I feel like he's growing up all ready! What happened to my little newborn boy? Next thing I know he'll be off to college or something! Why wasn't I like this much w/ dd? I mean, I couldn't wait for her to turn 3, 6, 12, etc months. I was always excited about the new things she would do. I am excited about ds doing new things but I also feel time is just flying by. Sheesh, things are alot different the second time around! :
Funny you should post that, I was just talking about that yesterday. How you just couldn't wait for the first one to reach all the milestones and they just couldn't do it fast enough and then the second one comes and they grow up too fast. Well I can tell you that my third is getting too big too fast!!! I can't believe its already been almost 2 months!! where does the time go?

Good luck this weekend! Im sure you'll do great!
#435 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara
so, will you all forgive me if I just brag about my baby for a moment and then come back and do personal replies later?
OK, just got back from Andrew's 2-month checkup and I have to take a page from Kara and brag about my chunky guy a little, and then go back and catch up on posts...

He weighed 15 lbs. even! And he started out at "only" 8 lbs. 8 oz.! 6 1/2 pounds in 8 weeks - and 4 inches, he's 24 3/4 inches long now - I am just so proud of my boobs!

He is also growing out of some of his 3-6 month stuff already!! I didn't think I'd need 6-9 month size until fall (my girls started wearing it around 4 months if I recall, and I thought they were big!), but I had to go out and get some 6-9 month summer clothes from whatever was left in the stores (hey, at least all the summer clothes are on major clearance now, so I was able to get some really cute stuff like Polo etc. that DH would kill me if I ever paid full-price for! )

Off to catch up on everybody else now!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#436 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2girlies
Funny you should post that, I was just talking about that yesterday. How you just couldn't wait for the first one to reach all the milestones and they just couldn't do it fast enough and then the second one comes and they grow up too fast. Well I can tell you that my third is getting too big too fast!!! I can't believe its already been almost 2 months!! where does the time go?
ITA!! I was telling the nurse at the ped today that exact same thing! A woman came in right after us with a really new newborn, couldn't have been more than a few days old, and I was looking at her baby and Andrew looked gigantic next to her - I kept thinking how much they change in even a few short weeks!

Of course then this mama signed her baby in, made small talk with the receptionist, and saw some tear-off coupons on the counter and was like, "Wow, $3 off! Great! It's so expensive this is awesome. Can I please take a few of these?!" The receptionist was like, "Take as many as you want!" So I'm thinking, hm, what's so exciting to get a bargain on, maybe I could use some coupons - I go over and look and they're for Similac! : This baby was like, 3 days old, her milk probably hadn't even come in yet if this was her first baby - I wanted to yell, "Hey lady, your breastmilk is FREE!!"

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#437 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM

Coco4Cloth, so sorry for what you're going through, but good for you for recognizing it and getting help to get through it!!! I've never dealt with postpartum depression, but I was treated for depression years ago and it took me a long time to admit I needed help - but it made a world of difference once I did! Good luck with everything

About the overactive letdown - you can try to nurse more frequently and that will sometimes help, and you can also try starting with the same side for a few feedings in row, then switching and starting with the other side a few times in a row. This can help OALD and also oversupply, which often accompanies it - both of these suggestions cut down on the amount of foremilk, too much of which can sometimes cause spitup, gassiness, fussiness, etc. (and particularly for those of us who are larger-breasted and have more lines & ducts, it can cause the baby to not get enough hindmilk, since by the time they get through the foremilk, they're full!)

That's the one time where size is an issue - though women with any size breasts can make plenty of milk, women with larger breasts usually have more storage capacity, which can be a good or bad thing. Most breastmilk is made at the time of the nursing, when there's active suckling. Your breats actually only make one kind of milk - the milk is always the exact same composition when it's secreted from the mammary gland. The names foremilk and hindmilk are misleading - the only difference between them is how long they've been in your breast. In the time between nursings, whatever milk is left in the lines and ducts in your breasts sits there and is stored for the beginning of the next feeding - and as it sits there, the fat in it is gradually reabsorbed into your body (probably some protective mechanism we evolved, like, OK, this milk is just sitting here so let's reabsorb the fat in case there's a famine tomorrow and we need to conserve it). So, the more frequently you nurse, the closer the milk in your breasts is to how it was when your body first made it. Then when that "leftover" milk is cleared out, the "fresh" milk that's being made as you nurse comes behind it, hence hindmilk, for the rest of the feeding. So yeah, women with larger breasts can often go a bit longer between nursings, but the catch-22 there is that there can be so much milk left in their breasts that to wait too long between nursings can mean there's way too much foremilk the baby has to take in order to even get to the milk that's being made at the time. So that's why oversupply and overactive letdown are problems that often occur together.

OK, forgive my rambling on about this ....as you can tell, I love lactation science way too much....you can imagine how my DH dreads my dinner-table conversation whenever I go to continuing ed or conferences.....!

#438 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama7
Well dh left this morning for the weekend. He's doing a show near Detriot. I ended up waking up w/ him @ 6:30am so of course the kids woke up after I got out of bed. (We were all in the same bed) I think they can sense it or something, yk? This will be our first official weekend alone together.
Good luck! DH was away for a weekend when Andrew was almost a month old and it was OK, we mananged during the day, I found the best thing was getting out and doing stuff, like you said you were planning to.

The only part that was hard was bedtime! I'm sorry to say it but I hate bedtime in general lately! Of course that's when Andrew wants to nurse constantly, and the girls are just in this phase, for different reasons, where they refuse to go to bed. Maddy is just being two, I think - whatever I ask her to do, it's "NO!" So she resists sleep just on principle! Teresa is in this other phase where everything scares her. I know it's normal for 4 y.o.'s to have a lot of fears because supposedly this is the age when they develop the cognitive ability to understand that there really IS a lot out there to fear - the whole "monsters under the bed" stage. So she'll wake up 8 times afraid that she heard dragons in the closet, or saw a strange light outside so it must be a stranger trying to get in. And man, you try to get a toothbrush in either of their months, I wonder what the neighbors think we're doing to our poor kids!!

#439 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama
The only part that was hard was bedtime! I'm sorry to say it but I hate bedtime in general lately! Of course that's when Andrew wants to nurse constantly, and the girls are just in this phase, for different reasons, where they refuse to go to bed. Maddy is just being two, I think - whatever I ask her to do, it's "NO!" So she resists sleep just on principle! Teresa is in this other phase where everything scares her. I know it's normal for 4 y.o.'s to have a lot of fears because supposedly this is the age when they develop the cognitive ability to understand that there really IS a lot out there to fear - the whole "monsters under the bed" stage. So she'll wake up 8 times afraid that she heard dragons in the closet, or saw a strange light outside so it must be a stranger trying to get in. And man, you try to get a toothbrush in either of their months, I wonder what the neighbors think we're doing to our poor kids!!

Dd is afraid of the train. It goes RIGHT through our town so I have to deal with her running and hiding everytime we hear it. Which is like 15 times a day! She's actually doing alot better though considering she would scream her head off when we first moved here. But she has been coming and saying, "I'm scared." When I ask her what's shes scared of she doesn't really have an answer. But since Dh is gone I'll put her to bed in our bed instead of her own. That way we'll just all be together instead of her coming in our bed in the middle of the night. Oh..and she's gone to bed with her regular underwear on for the past 5 days! Yippie!
#440 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 05:08 PM

BFM, thanks for the lactation science info! I'm so fascinated by the process -- it's neat to read more about how it works. I'm a bit on the larger side, so have had some OALD issues. Luckily it's mostly just the first feeding in the morning now that is crazy.

Super interesting about the fat reabsorption. I'd wondered how the milk was "differentiated" like that! Our bodies are soooooooooo amazing. have such new respect for them now. So, if only it could figure out how to accomodate a pregnant belly without bursting into stretch marks...is that so much to ask? :-( Oh well. Price of doing business.

Well, I think Nevie and I can head back to bed. I pulled her next to me from the co-sleeper to feed her at 4am and she ended up having a blowout diaper while eating. These blowouts are a very recent thing, so I haven't become quite prepared for them. She's changed and cleaned, and Dan got the sheets changed, so I think it's time to return...

#441 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 06:23 PM

Today was a big day...Harper figured out she could put a toy in her mouth, and then I figured out I can put my butt back in my favorite pre-pregnancy jeans! Well, I could do that a few weeks ago, but it didn't look too good.

But then I went out for an hour, and I came home to a screaming baby and a daddy trying to jam a bottle in her face. He was so flustered from the screaming that he didn't try calming her down first, instead assuming "must treat hunger, this is the only possible way to silence baby." He also prepped two 4 oz bottles because he thought she might be rejecting the first one because the milk tasted funny or something. Uh, no, it came fresh from the tap this morning, so not likely. Tasted and smelled fine to me. Anyway, I need to figure this all out. She wouldn't take it from me even after I calmed her down, which didn't really surprise me since she knows what lurks under my shirt. She hasn't had EBM in 3 weeks, and I guess she forgot what it's all about since she'd take a bottle before. I do need her to take one once in a while as I'm trying to work out an arrangement so I can take work again in the fall. I wonder if she's too young for a cup feed? We're definitely going to try again this weekend while she's calmer and I can peek around the corner and see what he's doing. I have no idea who got worked up first. Any ideas on how to make this easier?
#442 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco4cloth
I won't wish what I am going through on ANYONE, while maybe Tom Crusie
I am having ppd,too :

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#443 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 06:46 PM

BFM, that info on the foremilk/hindmilk was awesome!!! Never knew that before!! I was thinking today and realized that I've been nursing for almost 4yrs straight. Well, my oldest is turning 4 next week, so minus the 9 mos I was pregnant with her. I think thats way cool! Breasts and milk production are wonderous things....

mommitola, can your dh feed her w/ a medicine spoon. Or a cup? I bet she's not too little. BFM will know other ways, Im sure. Congrats on the pre-pregnancy jeans!!! I could fit in some pre-preg jeans the first week, but those were my fat pants that I bought after being pregnant w/ my 2nd. My real pre-pregnancy pants fit, but like you said, don't look good or are that comfortable yet for that matter!
#444 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearaina
I am having ppd,too :
sorry hon....hope its getting better. Are you talking to anyone? hugs
#445 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2girlies
sorry hon....hope its getting better. Are you talking to anyone? hugs
I am on meds, but not in counseling. I think I need counseling, though. I had depression/anxiety in high school and overcame it. Now I have to do it again. I really forgot how crappy it can make me feel. I think it is a combo of things. Lots of stress in my life combined with hormones. But little Lynea is doing great

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#446 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 08:32 PM

FWIW, I think counseling would be great in this situation. I'm no expert, but the guys that wrote my Abnormal Psych book are, and they say that in Acute Stress and Post-Traumatic Stress situations, the most significant therapeutic event is discussing/reliving the trauma. And let's face it: birth brings us beautiful babies who are our joy, but it's a freakin' trauma and a half on our minds and bodies. Wayyyyy more so than I ever expected, I can tell you that. I spent the first 4 weeks pretty shell-shocked and feeling so crappy (body-wise) that I couldn't get straight in the head due to worries that I would never be able to to walk comfortably again, therefore not able to take care of my babe the right way. I'm a true believer in the power of sunshine and exercise now -- the week I was able to start going for walks again was the week that everything kind of "clicked" into place. I still have my scared & scary moments, but they're getting rarer and shorter.

So, get out there and talk to someone! That's what they're there for and they're so happy to do it (hell, it's their way of making a living, no?).

#447 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 09:07 PM

BFM, thanks so much for the great info! I LOVE having an LLL leader in our tribe

Helen, I dont' have an answer for you, as thursday when i came home from work Ryan had pretty much had the same experience. Ruby seemed to reject the first bottle, so he assumed it was bad (4 oz of hard won gold!)so he warmed up another few oz. Argh! wasted milk!!! but she took the next bottle fine... and was still cranky. They jsut have to learn that sometimes baby girl is cranky, and just needs dad to bend to her will. I hope BFM has some ideas for you.

Mearaina - I am sorry you're dealing with PPD. I agree, get out, get some sunshine and talk to someone. We are all here to chat with, but talking to a real live human will make all the difference in the world. Please feel free to PM or IM any of us if you need to chat.

WE had a great day. Took Ruby to work, as a friend who's 8 months pregnant needed an adjustment, and couldn't fit into the few hours I'm regularly seeing patients. However, it went great, as her 7 year old had lots of fun occupying Ruby while I adjusted her mama. Then Ruby went to a meeting with me, and then we went for a walk to the shoe store. mmmmmm what baby girl doesn't love shoe shopping? She's got her super cute onesie on that says "Nobody puts baby in the corner"

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#448 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 09:36 PM

hah...i wish i could fit into my pre-pg pants!! i stepped on the scale yesterday...i have 20 lbs to lose to be at my pre-pg weight. i desperately need new pants...the 2 main pairs that i've been wearing are getting all faded and worn out and i look at my pre-pg jeans like, "ummm..how the heck did i wear these?!?!?!" (they're all size 0, 1/2) they look absolutely ridiculous! i tried on my moms pants and right now i'm in a 5 or 7...:
#449 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 PM

i weighed myself at the office today - and I'm about 12 lbs off of my pre preg weight - altho i don't know exactly what I weighed before to be honest. Then I got on with Ruby, and i estimate she's at least 11 1/2 lbs I'm kinda glad she's not as chubbalicious as some of your babes. Much easier on my still-healing-post-surgical body. I'd say I could easily wear a lot of my pre preg clothes... but so far I've only put on things that are stretchy, and comfy - nothing that's form fitting like jeans. Honestly wearing jeans on my still numb and strange feeling abdomen sounds horrible, so I'll stay in yoga pants and the like. (even for work!)

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#450 of 510 Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 PM

I will say I got in to my pre-pregnancy jeans within the fifrst week of Sam's birth, only because I was walking about 2 miles a day to go back and forth from my room at the Ronald McDonald House to the NICU to be with Sam. Oh, and I forgot to eat most of the time. Honestly though, the weight did start to come off fairly easily, so hopefully it'll be the same this time, especially if I'm able to tandem nurse Sam and the new baby like I hope to.

And before any of you get pissy with me about losing weight "easily", keep in mind that when I got pg with Sam I was about 50lbs heavier than my "ideal" weight, which is still considered overweight for my height. I've always been big, and even when I was at my skinniest and happily wearing bikinis, I still weighed 175...so, getting back in to my size 16 prepreg jeans isn't that big of a deal considering I was a size 10 when I met Dh. Hopefully I'll get back there. After all I'm only 22.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page