Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
Oh she's not MY cousin.. she's my neice... she's Ruby's cousin
freakin' ADORABLE!!!!!! what a sense of humor... : thanks for sharing your little ruby with the world, korin. i seriously love the blog.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog
Let us know when you arrive in Portland!
Will do! One thing that makes the move easier is that Portlanders seem really friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama7
papayapetunia ~ Hope your move goes smoothly! We just moved back east from CA so we're just getting back to the swing of things. It must be hard leaving that beautiful island but Oregon has alot of offer! Portland is a pretty awesome city (as I'm sure you already know!) and at least the beach is still close enough to drive to! Good Luck Mama.
Thanks! I'm sad to be leaving Hawaii, but glad to be moving to Oregon. I love it there. I've lived in Hawaii all my life, and have taken for granted the fact that I can just walk to the beach in the middle of January and go for a swim. I'm really excited to explore a new environment though.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh she's not MY cousin.. she's my neice... she's Ruby's cousin
: oopsie...great pics nonetheless!

OK, I'm off to start the picture thread...

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 08-02-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejon1
Does anybody else have any kind of routine/schedule down yet? It's kicking my butt this time around. I guess because I have Caleb to juggle too, it's just seems like it's taking longer to find our groove.

And since she was about 4 weeks early, does anybody know if that means that it will take longer for her to smile and meet other milestones? She smiles sometimes, but it takes *a lot* of work to get one out of her! I live for the day that she is just full of giggles and grins!
We're just now starting to get a semblance of a routine down. After DH gets home from work, we have dinner and play with the babe for a while, since she's usually awake, and then I usually try to go to bed around 9, and he stays up with her until she falls asleep anywhere between 10 and midnight. Then nightime feedings are my territory, but by going to bed at 9 I can usually get 3-4 uninterrupted hours of sleep. She's usually up at about 1:30 to eat quickly, then sleeps until about 4:15 or so, when she wants to be awake and held for an hour or hour and a half, then she'll nap for two hours, and wake up "for the day" around 7:30.

Keep in mind, Sam is 15 weeks old tomorrow.

And she's just now starting to smile more, so your babe might be a little slow to catch up as well. We're basing most of her development on her adjusted age. We have a developmental followup clinic appt on the 23rd, so I'll let you know then if she's normal.

I took Sam to the doc for reflux today (do ALL of our babies have it?!) and he suggested putting a teaspoon of rice cereal or oatmeal in each of her bottles in order to thicken it up to help keep it down. If any of you mamas aren't able to nurse and are bottle feeding instead, that might be an option. We're hoping to avoid having to put her on the Zantac.

And, she is 10lb, 10oz now!! She is also 21 1/2" long now, and is officially on the growth charts, albeit in the 5th-10th percentile for her true age. We'll take what we can get!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 08-02-2006, 11:29 PM

Korin, the pics of ruby are just adorable!! Im loving the thrush pic, I think we have just about the same pic of J.C with his purple smacker! I LOVE that Mei tai!!! how do you like it? Im thinking of getting one. Right now I have a maya ring sling, a maya pouch and a hotsling pouch. but the mei tei looks so comfy! really like the moby wrap too! is it hard learning how to do all the wraps?

lisa, hang in there hon. I hope it gets better soon. saying prayers for you and your family....
Old 08-02-2006, 11:39 PM

I love the mei tie. super comfy... and easy to use. I have several carriers.. and want more. the babywearing conference is here this weekend.. danger danger!

I'm glad yo uall love Ruby's blog.

Candice, here in PDX we have a huge MDC crowd! I had several MDC mamas over this morning for coffee and knitting, (although I think maybe 2 rows were knit all around. ) please let me know when you're here.. we'll give you a good welcome

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 AM

...Picture thread, here it is - see y'all over there!:

Picture thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearaina
grace's voive - where did you find the things you're using for Behn?
Our Midwife is also our Naturopathic family doctor, she's the one who did the Chamomile tincture for us. We also bought the acidolpholis from her, but you can get that at any supplement store. Just make sure its acidolpholis bifidus, because the bifidus is what babies need more of. She said to take the powder out of the cap and put a pinch on his tongue 3 times a day, so that each cap is divided into 3 parts, so he gets a total of one cap a day. Does that make sense? I would think any Naturopath or Herbalist could make you up some Chamomile.

sehbub-
Yeah, most babies do have reflux to some extent. Its just that the spincter at the base of the esophagus isn't quite developed enough to close tightly yet and acid can back up. They're usually fine by 6 months old. I just wanted something to make him more comfortable until he outgrows it. He seems to have been better already this evening. Yay!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Old 08-03-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I have several carriers.. and want more.
: I am *this close* to ordering a Meitei...but which to get? There are so many out there - anyone have any suggestions?

Old 08-03-2006, 09:14 AM

Just woke up in a panic, not sure if it was a nightmare that woke me up or if she was doing one of those newborn "breathing pauses." At any rate I sat bolt upright and picked her up to try and wake her because I felt she had stopped breathing. Her toes and fingers were all pink when I got the light, so if she had stopped it wasn't for long. I don't know if it was my instincts going or if it was just a nightmare but I am really scared now.

She's fine, although somewhat cranky to have been woken up.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog
Just woke up in a panic, not sure if it was a nightmare that woke me up or if she was doing one of those newborn "breathing pauses." At any rate I sat bolt upright and picked her up to try and wake her because I felt she had stopped breathing. Her toes and fingers were all pink when I got the light, so if she had stopped it wasn't for long. I don't know if it was my instincts going or if it was just a nightmare but I am really scared now.

She's fine, although somewhat cranky to have been woken up.
: How scary...I'm glad everything is OK!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs
: I am *this close* to ordering a Meitei...but which to get? There are so many out there - anyone have any suggestions?
I do alright babywearing (have a moby, a mei tai, an ergo and have used a RS and pouch in the past) - but I have some *serious* babywearing friends online and the consensus from them is that the Kozy is one of (if not the) best mei tais out there. I love my mayatie (Maya's version of the mei tai), but I have also used a Kozy and it's definitely nice (though I like my mayatie better).

I've always wanted to try a zippy www.meitaibaby.com and I've heard the "adjustable" function on these are good too.

Korin-what 'brand' is yours?

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 08-03-2006, 12:58 PM

Thanks LeighAnne, I'll check those out, and thanks for the link. So get this: I have her in the wrap today, and she's loving it - snoozing away like nobody's business. She hated it last week. SO far the wrap is the most comfy for *me*, so I'm thrilled she's in it today. It's so soft, and distributes the weight so evenly I hardly even know it's there. I hope she decides to like it for a little while longer!!!

I'll still probably get a MT, cause I'm babywearing obsessed, too : . I'm pretty sure my IRL friends think I'm a weirdo for having all these different carriers, I'm their resident "hippie". A couple of them tried the Maya Pouch like I have, but didn't like them....oh well...

Old 08-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Thanks Sehbub. I'm not a sit around the house person, and I'd forgotten just how unpredictable the newborn stage is. Also, with Caleb, it didn't really matter b/c we lived within 5-10 minutes of any kind of shopping you could think of, so places for me to go and walk around. Now we've moved out about 30-45 minutes from there, so it's not as easy to just go.

BelgianSheepDog~I'm glad everything is ok. Those scares are horrifying!

Korin~I love your blog. I really like the Mei Tai too, I hadn't seen one before, now I *need* one of those too!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 PM

i just got my mom a hot sling....she thinks its cool to wear hannah, .

I'm looking for a carrier for DH. He doesn't like any of my slings or the moby.. I'm thinking he might like the mei tei?? or an ergo? my cousin has a dydamys(sp and i think thats the name?) its like a mei tei.....but anyways....... if your DH wears the baby what carrier does he like best???
Old 08-03-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejon1
I really like the Mei Tai too, I hadn't seen one before, now I *need* one of those too!
Me too! That's the next kind of carrier I'm buying for ds.

belgiansheepdog ~ glad everythings ok. Elijah has does that a few times. Where he'll be nursing or whatever and all a sudden it's like he stops breathing or something for a second and then "gasps" for air. I'm not sure if that is really whats happening but, that what it sounds/looks like. He gets upset after it happens too. (I'm gonna keep an eye on it..)
Old 08-03-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleighsmilkbar
if your DH wears the baby what carrier does he like best???
my DH likes the hotsling, although he'd never openly admit it. He used a BabyBjorn with his first two kids, but it's definitely not in our budget, so he's used my sling a few times. Mostly when we were on vacation last week. He used the water sling to take DD in to the ocean, and she loved it! I think he liked the attention he got from all the bikini clad beachgoers oohing and aahing over DD

We might get him a more "manly" (mine is blue paisley) sling for the new babe.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 08-03-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:

I'm looking for a carrier for DH. He doesn't like any of my slings or the moby.. I'm thinking he might like the mei tei?? or an ergo? my cousin has a dydamys(sp and i think thats the name?) its like a mei tei.....but anyways....... if your DH wears the baby what carrier does he like best???
My dh loves the ring sling. I let him pick his own fabric and made him his very own, much to my surprise he LOVES it... he thought baby wearing was a little odd originally. Now he insists he wear the baby everywhere we go, and he can't use my sling even though its the same style, he needs HIS sling! Men are so funny. At first he didn't like it as much, but then we realized it was because he didn't know how to put the baby in it comfortably. Also once he realized the sling makes the baby go right to sleep and its easy to sneak out of it and lay the baby down without waking him, he was all about it.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Old 08-03-2006, 03:16 PM

nak -typing left handed

my mei tie was a gift, but i believe it was made by sleepymama here on mdc. I love it and so does ryan. He also love the maya, and the active sprirt sling. I also love the moby... all for different reasons.

baby calls. back later!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:

i could be wrong, but i don't see a guy liking a didymos - it's more than a mei tai, it's a wrap and they have a pretty high learning curve...i could totally be wrong though.

my dh won't wear a baby, he'd prefer to just carry them (don't ask me why!) but every dh i know loves the ergo the best (and i know some cool baby wearing dads) - i'd say ergo or mei tai for a dad.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:33 PM

My husband gets so much attention when he wears Harper. The ladies ooh and ah! He usually prefers the OTSBH, but he'll wear my zolowear ring sling as well. They have a nightly walk when he gets home.

It's been so hot and gross here. The heat index is something like 115. I took her out this morning to go to LLL, and I sort of wish I hadn't because she got so fussy. I stripped her down and made sure to nurse her a lot in case of dehydration. We haven't been able to really go out during the day like we normally would.

We're at this new stage where she'll try to stay up longer but get cranky if she does, and it's driving me crazy during the day. Nights are still fine at least. To get her to nap during the day, I have to nurse her lying down. No more of that newborn "fall asleep every time you eat" business.

Anyway, that's about it over here. Still chipping away at the thrush. I'm now on a second course of antibiotics since the first one didn't work, so I am resigned that this will probably stick around til that's done. Glad to see everyone's doing well. I love the picture thread idea!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

My dh Bob likes the baby bjorn (the male bra I call it) and he has used my new native once. The maya is too lady like for his liking so that wont work. But he will just carry his babies too and be happy.

I agree dh loves carrying the babies at the beach and likes the babes who come up to him

Just got the maya. Any interesting ideas for wearing?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 08-03-2006, 04:53 PM

Hi, mamas! Boy, Ive missed you! We're in between homes right now. LSS, we started remodeling our home in December. We moved into a rental, thinking the remodel would be done by June. Anyway, they didnt finish, STILL arent done, and now we're in a hotel since our lease was up July 31! Needless to say, two active boys and a newborn in a hotel room is difficult!!!!!!!!

Ellie is almost 7wks, and she's awesome. Rarely fusses (except she decided she HATES the car, ugh), and sleeps a lot. We're using sposies at the hotel, but I cant wait to get back to cding, she has a terrible rash from the plastic.

Gonna go back and read everyone's posts now....

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
Old 08-03-2006, 04:56 PM

Ryan took Ruby to the grocery store by himself a couple of weeks ago... and just ran in so he didn't sling her. She was alseep in his arms, and he bent down to kiss her as the checker was running the debit card.. and when he looked up, all of these women were sighing over him. I told him that at that moment, every woman in the store wanted to : him.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I told him that at that moment, every woman in the store wanted to : him.
:

Old 08-03-2006, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Korin- your right.

Another turn on that males do- clean the bathroom.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 08-03-2006, 05:30 PM

oooooh, and folding laundry.

OoooooOooooo cooking dinner AND doing the dishes.

I need a cold shower.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola
Still chipping away at the thrush. I'm now on a second course of antibiotics since the first one didn't work, so I am resigned that this will probably stick around til that's done. Glad to see everyone's doing well. I love the picture thread idea!

The antibiotics is what is doing it. Also cut out sugar from your diet for a week and eat yogurt and take probiotics. Also invest in the Grapefruit seed extract. Its the only thing that worked on Maggies' one month long thrush. The heat wave is not helping it either.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Candice, here in PDX we have a huge MDC crowd! I had several MDC mamas over this morning for coffee and knitting, (although I think maybe 2 rows were knit all around. ) please let me know when you're here.. we'll give you a good welcome
Thank you! I will definitely let you know!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
My dh loves the ring sling. I let him pick his own fabric and made him his very own, much to my surprise he LOVES it... he thought baby wearing was a little odd originally. Now he insists he wear the baby everywhere we go, and he can't use my sling even though its the same style, he needs HIS sling! Men are so funny. At first he didn't like it as much, but then we realized it was because he didn't know how to put the baby in it comfortably. Also once he realized the sling makes the baby go right to sleep and its easy to sneak out of it and lay the baby down without waking him, he was all about it.
That's cute.

User Tag List