June 2006 Mamas- here is a space! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Caroline: that must have been really scary, I'm glad things are getting better for William.

awinkler: Welcome! Here's what was recently discussed about Weissbluth's book: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=weissbluth

fwiw, we followed the Dr. Sears tips for establishing a bedtime routine starting soon after birth, and we sleep well as a family, no "training" required. Don't worry about naps in the sling at this age, they are still so young. I am not a fan of any method that ever involves crying it out. We don't do that, and I think we have a more mellow, adaptable baby as a result. I do agree on one count - better day sleep leads to better night sleep, so do watch your child's cues. But who cares where the sleep occurs? For us, plenty of naps and demand feeding all day long leads to a good long block of sleep at night - 9-5:30, basically. Maybe one quick snack some nights, but since she's right next to me, it's no biggie.
#182 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 02:20 PM

Just a general update: We went up to Maine yesterday so Harper could meet great grandma and great grandpa, and she did so well. She slept the 2 hours up to Portland, then I put her in the sling and nursed her while walking down to the ferry from the secret free parking lot. She conked out for the ferry ride, and then was in a great mood and smiling at everyone when she got up. We stayed for a few hours and walked around the island and did visiting with other assorted relatives. The salt air really puts her out cold, so funny. Same routine on the way back: nursed in the sling on the walk to the boat, slept on the boat. People kept asking about the sling, and no one even noticed I was nursing her while I was standing there talking to them. I never see other people out with slings or wraps, only Bjorns. I thought we'd at least see some in Portland since Portland's sorta crunchy. Then we nursed at Tim Horton's, hehehe. On the way back, we stopped once for a diaper change. I consider that a darn successful trip with an 8-week-old. She stuck to the normal bedtime routine last night, and got up once at 5:30, then let us sleep in til 9:30. Score!
#183 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 03:35 PM

I agree with Helen, screw schedules... follow your babies cues, and let her sleep whereever she wants to sleep. Too soon days will come where our babies won't sleep on us or with us (maybe years from now, but in the grand scheme of things that's pretty soon you know?)

I am a weee bit jealous that Harper sleeps from 9-5:30. Ruby can occasionally sleep from 11-4 (and holy cow my boobs are killing me by then) but she is nursing every 2-3 hours. Thankfully we almost sleep through all of it (ie: she makes noise, I latch her oon and drift in and out while she nurses). It seems I'm having to change her once at night... usually early early in the morning, even if she has a super stuffed Fuzzibunz dipe on. Overall, we're sleeping great, and I feel pretty good.

Today is my 35th birthday!! Ryan took her to water the yard while I showered and pumped, and later he's going to take her grocery shopping while I get a massage (much needed). I have a lot brewing in my head, so I hope to do some writing while she naps later.
I was reading the Baby Book this morning while pumping (got 3 oz go me!) and I just started to cry realizing how much she's already changed and grown!

Tomorrow I go back to work (for 2 half days a week while Ryan is with her) and I can't stand to think about it. SHe'll be 8 weeks on tuesday. Ugh, I wish I were a millionaire, so I wouldn't have to work.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#184 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Korin, do you make your living as a chiropractor? If so, is there any way you could work out of your home? At least that way you could hire a sitter to keep an eye on Ruby between appointments, and would get to be home with your babe all the time.

Sam's getting better about sleeping at night, thank goodness. Last night Brad and I went to bed at about 12:30 (stayed out at my BIL&SIL's house WAY too late) and she didn't get up until 6:30 this morning. She fussed a little last night, but it was just fidgety fussing. No crying! It's a lifesaver, 'cause I gotta get some sleep so that I can keep cooking this new baby!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#185 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs
: me three. DS slept *on* me at least part of the time in some way, shape, or form until he was 13 months, and I savored every moment...now that he's a VERY independent 30 months and doesn't want to snuggle much at all any more, I have a year's worth of sweet, sleepy fond memories to look back on. They're little for such a short time and get so independent on their own so soon, why push them away early?

The only thing I found Weissbluth useful for was for getting a little info on sleep rhythms and suggestions for a routine, which I followed loosely and it worked really well for us.

DD is currently snoozing on me on the Boppy - and I'm not budging.

Oh, and welcome!!
Thanks everyone for your replies about this! It just saves so much frustration to put DS in the sling (I have an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder, which was given to me by a coworker). He's happy there It's helpful to know that babies do make the transition successfully to their own beds, being independent, etc...
#186 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola
Caroline: that must have been really scary, I'm glad things are getting better for William.

awinkler: Welcome! Here's what was recently discussed about Weissbluth's book: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=weissbluth

fwiw, we followed the Dr. Sears tips for establishing a bedtime routine starting soon after birth, and we sleep well as a family, no "training" required. Don't worry about naps in the sling at this age, they are still so young. I am not a fan of any method that ever involves crying it out. We don't do that, and I think we have a more mellow, adaptable baby as a result. I do agree on one count - better day sleep leads to better night sleep, so do watch your child's cues. But who cares where the sleep occurs? For us, plenty of naps and demand feeding all day long leads to a good long block of sleep at night - 9-5:30, basically. Maybe one quick snack some nights, but since she's right next to me, it's no biggie.
Thanks for the link to the discussion -- interesting!

mommitola - how old was your dd when she started sleeping 9-5:30?

DS sleeps for a 4 hour chunk at night, then wakes every two hours after that to eat. Just wondering if that's normal? I read about some babies who sleep 7-9 hours at this point -- how do they do that while BF?
#187 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
I agree with Helen, screw schedules... follow your babies cues, and let her sleep whereever she wants to sleep. Too soon days will come where our babies won't sleep on us or with us (maybe years from now, but in the grand scheme of things that's pretty soon you know?)

I am a weee bit jealous that Harper sleeps from 9-5:30. Ruby can occasionally sleep from 11-4 (and holy cow my boobs are killing me by then) but she is nursing every 2-3 hours. Thankfully we almost sleep through all of it (ie: she makes noise, I latch her oon and drift in and out while she nurses). It seems I'm having to change her once at night... usually early early in the morning, even if she has a super stuffed Fuzzibunz dipe on. Overall, we're sleeping great, and I feel pretty good.

Today is my 35th birthday!! Ryan took her to water the yard while I showered and pumped, and later he's going to take her grocery shopping while I get a massage (much needed). I have a lot brewing in my head, so I hope to do some writing while she naps later.
I was reading the Baby Book this morning while pumping (got 3 oz go me!) and I just started to cry realizing how much she's already changed and grown!

Tomorrow I go back to work (for 2 half days a week while Ryan is with her) and I can't stand to think about it. SHe'll be 8 weeks on tuesday. Ugh, I wish I were a millionaire, so I wouldn't have to work.
Happy Birthday! Enjoy the massage!

It sounds like DS is on a night schedule similar your DD...
#188 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 08:33 PM

Sarah, I do work as a chiropractor.. I wouldn't want to work at home for several reasons...
1. i don't want all my patients knowing where i live
2. I took ruby to the office last wednesday for a meeting, and gave one of my coworkers a treatment.. and found it was really hard to focus on the patient because Ruby was cranky (Ruby was also a little sick but i didn'tk now it yet) I think if i were working on another baby, or a mama who's kids were there it would be different.. but i think for my adult patients it's better if I'm there alone, then I'm not thinking too much about Ruby

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#189 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinkler
DS sleeps for a 4 hour chunk at night, then wakes every two hours after that to eat. Just wondering if that's normal? I read about some babies who sleep 7-9 hours at this point -- how do they do that while BF?
totally normal (and about what mikey does too though sometimes i can get 6 hours outta him). i bfed all my girls and none of them slept the 7-9 hrs until around 4-6mo...but all kids are different...i know some people whose babes slept that long from 4-6wks and they BFed too.

glad William is on the mend!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai
Philip is very gassy, particularly at night. He will grunt for long periods of time and then he sometimes has explosive sounding poops. DH bought some mylecon (sp?) --anti-gas stuff-- but I would rather figure out another way to treat it. Thoughts?
i do know of mamas who swear by the mylecon, but you can also try baby's bliss gripe water. certainly you could also do an elimination diet (and dairy is a good place to start) but i think that takes at least a week or so to show any changes, so keep that in mind. sorry i'm not more help! all my experience is second hand...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#190 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 10:45 PM

Korin - I totally understand! Kind of a "rip the band-aid off all at once" situation, isn't it? Luckily my work doesn't involve direct human interaction, so calming a fussy baby is okay.

We swear by the gripe water! We used it on Sam and it worked like a charm.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#191 of 510 Old 08-13-2006, 11:33 PM

Nevie slept for over 7 hours last night! Kind of freaked me out... and dude, my "ladies" were rarin' to go. She's STILL doing the green poo thing intermittently. One was straight up NEON. I've been block feeding for many days now and even eliminated dairy. I called the pediatric nurse again and she said that it's just one of those things. If it's a virus, you just have to wait it out. As long as she's otherwise happy and still eating (which she is), it's nothing to be too concerned about. I'd still be happy for it to stop.

Other than that... had my 6-week checkup today and things are looking great! I still feel my cystocele here and there, but oh well. I wish the weather here were not so nasty & humid so that I felt like going for more walk/jogs with my girl.

OK, back to the books. This psych class won't take itself.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#192 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 12:31 AM

I'm so spaced I haven't posted yet to say hi.

DS2 is 10 weeks old, wow too fast! He topped the scales at his 2 month check up at 17.5 lbs and 24 inches long, a big chunk just like his brother was (can't tell it now though, DS1 is as thin as a rail). I'm still trying to get a handle on him, they have such different personalities. DS1 was so calm and peaceful and just slept and cooed all day. DS2 screams and cries and shrieks all day and all night, only stopping to projectile spit up everywhere every 5 minutes. He's healthy, just has a very upset personality.

What in the world is gripe water? I keep hearing people talka bout it but no one has ever said what it is.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#193 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 01:33 AM

Happy Birthday Korin...Ruby is so blessed to not have to leave her parents yet. I never left my first little girl, not even to just run to the store. I dont' know what I was so worried about. With Maggie, she's really calm, and I like to take time to myself, and with Layla. I'm sure Ruby will adjust fine. You seem like such a sweet concerned momma.
#194 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillake
What in the world is gripe water? I keep hearing people talka bout it but no one has ever said what it is.
I happen to have some sitting right beside me...it's a lifesaver for us too. I thought Maggie was getting colicky....but this helps, even better than gas drops.

active ingridients:
14mg sodium
5mg ginger extract
4 mgfennel extract

basicly it's that and some water
here's the website
#195 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 11:29 AM

So Elijah started pooping every other day right..well, he didn't poop yesterday and hasn't yet this morning and I'm trying to remember but I really don't think he pooped the day before yesterday. : He isn't acting different or anything. He's not overly fussy at all..still the same happy boy but jeez, how long are they supposed to go w/o pooping?? I myself have been regular. I mean, we spent the weekend at MIL's so I actually skipped a day when I was there but other than that my system is working like it usually does.

I really hope he poops SOON! I seriously can't see how he could be constipated because we drink ionized mineral water that ALWAYS cleans us out.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on the situation. Anyone else have their babe not go for a couple days??
#196 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama7
I guess I'll just keep an eye on the situation. Anyone else have their babe not go for a couple days??
Finally, on Sunday morning - the start of day FOUR of no poop, Max started pooping again ...and pooping ....and pooping ....and pooping

You don't know how glad I was it was dh's turn for changing that little bottom

I know it isn't uncommon for babies to do that and I remember Boo Girl spacing the poops out ... but it seems like she was a little older.

The look of sweet relief on Max's face when it was over was priceless

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#197 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 01:07 PM

Happy belated Birthday, Korin!!!!!

Hope it was a fantastic day!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#198 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
So Elijah started pooping every other day right..well, he didn't poop yesterday and hasn't yet this morning and I'm trying to remember but I really don't think he pooped the day before yesterday. : He isn't acting different or anything. He's not overly fussy at all..still the same happy boy but jeez, how long are they supposed to go w/o pooping?? I myself have been regular. I mean, we spent the weekend at MIL's so I actually skipped a day when I was there but other than that my system is working like it usually does.

I really hope he poops SOON! I seriously can't see how he could be constipated because we drink ionized mineral water that ALWAYS cleans us out.

When we first brought Sam home, she was going every four to five days! The ped said not to worry about it unless her poops were coming out hard, meaning constipation. He told us to start adding two teaspoons of maple syrup to her bottles to "grease the track" and now she's every other day like clockwork.

#199 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:

I think Marlow went 5 days at her longest stretch.

Yeterday she had 2 HUGE poops from a 2 day no-pooping stretch.
#200 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 01:29 PM

So you guys think I shouldn't worry? Just to wait a couple more days, see what happens. Earlier he was acting like he was trying to get something out but nothing came out. I'm wondering if he's trying, but it's just hard for him for some reason. I dunno. Right now he's awake, content in the sling so I guess I'll just keep watching out. Thanks for the imput mamas. It makes me feel a little better knowing that what we're experiencing seems quite "normal."

But I am keeping my fingers :

And BTW ~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY KORIN!
#201 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub
When we first brought Sam home, she was going every four to five days! The ped said not to worry about it unless her poops were coming out hard, meaning constipation. He told us to start adding two teaspoons of maple syrup to her bottles to "grease the track" and now she's every other day like clockwork.
Our peditrician wants us to use dark Karo syrup. I used it once but she hasn't needed it since then. Man it stunk!
#202 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 02:17 PM

Another friend suggested the Karo, but our ped nixed it in favor of the maple syrup 'cause the Karo is so thick and can cause more problems than anything else. At least that's what the doc said.

#203 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 03:26 PM

Regarding poop, my ped sent me home from the hospital with a little fact sheet about babies. One of the things it said was that around 6wo, babies might not poop for several days and that it's normal.
#204 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinkler
mommitola - how old was your dd when she started sleeping 9-5:30?

She started at 4 weeks, but not consistently. It shocked us, honestly, the first time she did it. Then for 2 weeks she did a 4-5 hour block, and she'd be up every 2-3 after that. Then the first block just stretched out to 6, 7, 8 hours. She nurses on demand all day, and then she does a big one hour cluster feeding spree right before bed. I was told that they have to reach a certain bodyweight/amount of reserves before they can sleep longer without eating like we can, don't know how true that is. I wake up bursting though, that part stinks. Your son's pattern sounds totally normal though. And she will have at least one night out of the week where she decides to get up at 3 and 7 instead, so it's not written in stone how long she'll sleep.
#205 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 PM

But...it was just all liquidy. I think that's normal though. Anyone know for sure?
#206 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 10:26 PM

Look what I got:

This...

...but more importantly,

This!

Hope all is well with everyone. Dh leaves tomorrow, and we won't join him until Sept. 7th. I'm saaaaad.
#207 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 10:41 PM

WOw - A girl goes away for a few days, and I feel like I'm completely out of the loop - too much for me to try to reply to!

I have a girlfriend stayign with us this week so I won't be posting much this week either, but I'll be reading!

Hope everyone is doing well

Happy belated birthday, Korin!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#208 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia
Look what I got:

This...

...but more importantly,

This!

Hope all is well with everyone. Dh leaves tomorrow, and we won't join him until Sept. 7th. I'm saaaaad.
i actually expected to see a pix of poop.. with all this poop talk!

sorry your hubs is leaving... but that means we'll be neighbors soon!

#209 of 510 Old 08-14-2006, 11:03 PM

Candice, sorry hubby is leaving.

You're gorgeous! And I love the pattern on your sling!

#210 of 510 Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia
Look what I got:

This...

...but more importantly,

This!

I love your sling! What kind is it? It's got a gorgeous pattern. AND the more important picture is ADORABLE!!! What a cutie.

I hope the time flies for you and Sept. 7 is here before you know it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page