Stay at home moms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to stay at home, or at least cut back my hours. We really need my income though. What do you do from home to make extra money? Any money saving ideas?
#2 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 01:20 PM

I have been keeping another baby 4 days a week that is 3 months younger than dd, but he is starting daycare in 2 weeks, after that I am FINALLY going to try to sell on ebay?

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#3 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 01:20 PM

Biggest $$ saver if you don't do it yet is Cloth dipes. I babysit and have been working on designing some killer slings/Mei Tai's. I clip coupons search sale ads for the things I need etc. I "no poo" (see Natural Home and Body care). I make my own cleaners for the home. I have access to my mother's garden (next year I'll have my own). Canning and things like that have been a HUGE part of my life. I make most foods instead of getting processed/frozen/canned foods. I am sure there are other things but you may want to venture to frugality and finances as well as natural home and body care for more tips.
#4 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthasmom
I would love to stay at home, or at least cut back my hours. We really need my income though. What do you do from home to make extra money? Any money saving ideas?
I don't do anything for an extra income (I wish I did)! But I'm the queen of "saving money"!! I clip coupons, check the sunday paper for ads and stuff like that. It doesn't sound like much... but I went food shopping w/dh one day and had almost 15 bucks in coupons He was like "good job babe"

Any little bit helps... especially when I live w/4 men (dh, and 3 ds) who eat all the time!!
#5 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 01:32 PM

We were fortunate in that when dd was born and I stopped working, his boss gave him a raise equal to what my income had been, so in that way we weren't really affected by me no longer working. However, our health insurance went from $120 a month (used to be through my company) to $850 a month with dh's company. To make up that difference, I started selling on ebay. I make roughly $800 a month on average, so it pays for the difference in insurance and also gives us extra spending money.
#6 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'd completely re-evaluate the finances, I find we have plenty of money to get by on one income. We live in the midwest where it's pretty cheap. We cloth diaper and breastfeed, and there's no child care cost so DS doesn't add much extra expenses. We barely use credit cards so there's no bill from that, and we don't have cable or satellite TV. We buy used cars only. So basically the bills are only utilities, rent, insurance, internet, and groceries. I occasionally get some income from my jewelry making hobby but nothing reliable. Check out the frugality and finances board for ideas, I've lurked there some and they seem to have it down.
#7 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

mom to nat and ben harper fan...what are you selling on ebay?
#8 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM

I sell IKEA items on ebay....basically providing a service to those people who do not have an IKEA store near them. IKEA does not ship many of their products and those they do ship they charge a fortune for (like minimally $50 in shipping charges) so I find that people are willing to pay more for the items that they really want!
#9 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthasmom
mom to nat and ben harper fan...what are you selling on ebay?
Unfortunetly nothing yet I have lots of different things(some baby stuff) But mostly is my dh's HUGE Michael Jordan collection of things. Lots of things worth lots of $$$$$. I just need to make time.

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#10 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 03:10 PM

I'm just about to start watching a couple of little boys (brothers) 3 days a week. It will be a great boost to our income and I will still get some days alone with just my kids. It worked out perfect. I just advertised on Craigslist and it all worked out from there. I was a elementary school teacher and a nanny before I became a mom, so watching kids is the best way for me to use my education, make money, and stay home.
#11 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 04:31 PM

We went down to one car (saved $100/mo. insurance) cancelled cable (saved at least $50 if not more), went down to a basic pay-per-call line (no Caller ID/call waiting) (saved $20+) and cut our cell phone minutes (saved $40). Me not working meant we didn't have to pay for day care ($400 month) and gas to get to and from work (combined with the fact that we stopped driving dh's SUV and started using my Vibe, $100/mo savings). More time to make dinner and pack lunches=less convenience food, so we cut our grocery bill ($150/mo savings). We reduced our daily newspaper subscription to Sunday only ($10/mo savings). So right there that is $870/month. DH was able to adjust his withholding allowances and increase his take-home pay. I sell here and there on eBay and watch a friend's daughter 10 hours a week for $4/hour.

Good luck!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#12 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 06:40 PM

I stay at home and we have three kiddos on my husband's teaching salary. I don't really have time to earn extra money, but we do cut out the stuff that adds up:
  • No cable...local channels and rabbit ears are free!
  • Dial-up internet rather than expensive high-speed internet
  • No cell phones (pagers are cheap...$60 a year)
  • We don't eat out very often
  • Netflix rather than renting or going out to movies
  • Lots of home cooked meals rather than take out
  • In the summers, I rummage sale shop for really nice clothes..otherwise I shop the stores and buy one year ahead from the clearance racks.
  • I really cut back on things like: nice clothes, shoes, hair/makeup stuff
  • Buy things used off of Ebay

....stuff like that.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#13 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 08:48 PM

I sell the stuff my kids outgrow. I do a little knitting, but I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say that I make an income from it. Although I must admit that all of the money I get from ebay or elsewhere usually just ends up at the yarn shop If I want a new carrier, I usually sell one I currently have or use what I got from selling other stuff. I am very wise with how we spend our money and where we shop. Actually I find that there is plenty of money, even though DH only brings home about $2400/m. We just live simply and find that we have the $ to do fun things when they come up. And we use our tax return to pay school tuition for the kids right up front so we don't have that monthly bill. Good luck
#14 of 14 Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 PM

: good tips here! And I second checking out the frugality and finances forum. Excellent stuff there!

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page