July 06 mamas, August thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cindi-good hear from you and hats off for sticking with the pumping!
sabbath, we do every 3rd night for bath here and just do a cat bath the other evenings...

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#122 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

sabbath, we're coming up on 5 weeks with no actual submerged bathing but lots of wipedowns. Maybe this weekend...
#123 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 02:50 PM

kelli~ do you swaddle?? that may help with the lightness of his sleep.

I give dd3 her bath about 2-3 times a wk. It depends on how the evening went.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#124 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 04:30 PM

dak (=dancing at computer so baby won't cry)

DSoes anyone do one every night and just not use soap? would that dry their skin out to much? She loves baths and they calm her down so much....
#125 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 04:37 PM

sabbath- we do baths every other night with mama and soap. We do sponge baths on nights we don't do full baths, but no soap on those nights. Ds is not to dry imo, but I dont know if it would be different if he had a full bath with no soap.

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#126 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathD
I just cleared the finger jamb out of mine last night....yuck. How often does everyone else bathe their babes? We are at 2-3 times a week, cause anything more dries her skin out too much.
Every other night... she gets pretty stinky otherwise But I wipe her face every night with a washcloth or the acne starts coming back.
#127 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 07:37 PM
~pi

Quote:
How often does everyone else bathe their babes?
So far, less than once a week. He doesn't seem to need it, so we just wipe his face & folds with a washcloth every day or two.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#128 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd had her first bath yesterday at 5 days old. : She just wasn't dirty at birth. I've been taking herbal baths each day and the midwife said the baths would be good to prevent infection not just in me, but good for her cord, too. But our timing was off on the baths all week until last night. Her cord looks ready to fall off any day now.
#129 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
dak (=dancing at computer so baby won't cry)

DSoes anyone do one every night and just not use soap? would that dry their skin out to much? She loves baths and they calm her down so much....
We do one every night because dd #1 insists the baby bathe with her. We use soap sometimes. She has a weird milk/sweat smell sometimes. They are awesome for calming her down too - as long as her skin is fine I don't think it's a problem.
#130 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 11:29 PM

Ummmm....

Ethan is over two weeks old
His cord fell off some time ago
He smells pretty ripe
And he hasn't yet had a real bath...

My day still has only 24 hours in it! My goal for today was to bathe him, but it didn't happen (new garage was finished yesterday, spent all day getting garage items out of the yard and into the garage) so there's always tomorrow : but tomorrow we have to go to the grocery store so there goes the one objective for tomorrow...

help!!!! I'm just going to have to live with lower standards.
#131 of 236 Old 08-19-2006, 11:33 PM

with that many kids....no one would blame you for dropping all standards!! LOL!
#132 of 236 Old 08-20-2006, 12:55 AM

Here here, Jessica...you get looots of credit for even getting everybody (including yourself) fed & dressed!

Sabbath we're at baths almost every day, with no soap. I didn't bathe her at all for what seemed like a long time...maybe it was two or three weeks. I like to do it and dd1 likes to help. She has lots of acne so I think it helps with that. I think also having a comfy baby tub helps--it sits high at waist level with a hammock holder in it, so she lays in there all happy and I am not breaking my spine to bathe her or hold her in slippery water. Apparently it's really old fashioned; my father says he remembers his mom bathing his siblings in something similar.

Cindi I like hearing how you and the twins are doing. Sounds like you've hit a groove of sorts, and for surviving thus far!

Loving the 100-watt smiles!
#133 of 236 Old 08-20-2006, 01:16 AM

May I join you all?

My baby girl was born July 14th. We didn't find out about her until two days before her birth (she is adopted). We took her home when she was two days old. It's been a crazy whirlwind of a month. My mil passed away July 5th, her funeral was on the 15th, and our baby was born in the middle of the wake the night before. I'm sure the funeral directors thought we were so tacky for being on our cellphone constantly all during that viewing, getting updates. But we had a really good reason.

Anyway, we are so thrilled to have her, but life has sure been turned upside down what with having no notice she was coming and no time to prepare. I'm inducing lactation, and while things are going pretty well, there have been stressful issues (slow weight gain...she's doing fine now, I think, but I still am paranoid).

My question is, is it normal at 5 weeks for her to still have her days and nights totally mixed up? She wants to sleep all day. She'll sleep 3-4 hours stretches easily, only waking up to eat (and even then she wants to snooze through her meals). Then at night she's up every 2 hours, sometimes staying up for several hours at a time and nursing like crazy to make up for sleeping all day. I'm exhausted! Since I am nursing with a supplementer, I can't just stay in bed and nurse her. I have to get up, go downstairs, fill the supplenter (or warm it if it's already filled), feed her, then wash out the supplementer and fill it. She's a slow nurser, so even if she doesn't stay awake to play, I'm "up" for at least 40 minutes each time. I would really love to switch things around and have the every-two-hours be during the day and the 3-4 hours stretches be a night, but I'm at a loss. I really worry that she's sleeping too much in general, and I worry that with being so sleepy she's not eating enough.

I hope this question hasn't been discussed already. I"ll try to go back and read the thread, but it's really long--ya'll are chatty!
#134 of 236 Old 08-20-2006, 09:56 AM

Laurel ~ welcome and congratulations on your baby girl!! that's awsome you were able to adopt 2 days old baby! And for trying to induce lactation. That takes some dedication! Are you taking any medications as well?
As far as sleeping, my 4 week old DS still sleeps somewhere between 16-20 hours a day. My DS is somewhat similar in sleeping pattern. He does very long streches during the day, nurses and then keeps sleeping. At night he does one 3-4 hour strech and then wakes up ever 1-2 hours till morning. The only reason he is up every 1-2 hours after that is because he is too sleepy to nurse enough to last another long stretch! I am still trying to figure out how to solve that "problem". I know he'd sleep longer if he get enough to eat.
But I am pretty sure his body is adjusted to night and day time because he sleep REALLY hard during the first one or two stretches at night.
Hope that helps. I don't think babies can sleep too much! The more they sleep the better for them and their mamas.
#135 of 236 Old 08-20-2006, 10:53 AM

: DS has had three baths since his birth.. And the first one wasn't til waaay after his birth.. He's a month tomorrow!!! Where has the time gone??
#136 of 236 Old 08-20-2006, 12:25 PM

Laurel-i know you from the adoption forum...
so cool that inducing lactation is going so well for you. we are on a similar sleep schedule here and ds is 6 weeks old-can't imagine also having to deal w/the SNS-hat's off to you!

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#137 of 236 Old 08-20-2006, 12:30 PM

Kelly, ~ I wanted to ask you - are you nursing your adopted DS? Were you able to do that? Or feeding him breast milk from a bottle?
#138 of 236 Old 08-20-2006, 10:12 PM

anyone using prefolds? w/ wraps? w/ snappis? please help me contain the baby power poops! i swear, now that he's saving it up and power pooping a couple of times a day, he blows right out the legs - sometimes through the diaper and sometimes right through the legs of the cover as well. what do i do?!?
#139 of 236 Old 08-20-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymama
anyone using prefolds? w/ wraps? w/ snappis? please help me contain the baby power poops! i swear, now that he's saving it up and power pooping a couple of times a day, he blows right out the legs - sometimes through the diaper and sometimes right through the legs of the cover as well. what do i do?!?
I am looooooving the prefolds! With wraps (BSWW and proraps) and snappis (thanks momsmyjob). I use the angel wing fold (I think that's what it's called). It contains the smaller poops. For the power poops, I don't know if there's a fold that will do it. I also don't know if there is a fitted or a disposable that will do it! Sometimes there is just too much volume. I always have leaks through the diaper. If you're leaking through the cover, I'd look to make the cover tighter...we don't usually leak through the cover. I've just resigned myself to going through a couple of covers each day. If there's something I am missing, I'd be happy to hear it... but I'm just glad he isn't getting poop up HIS BACK AND INTO HIS HAIR the way his sister did with sposies...
#140 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 12:09 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymama
We are using prefolds (with snappis) and flats (tied) with homemade recycled-wool-sweater soaker covers. The power poops have leaked out the legs of the prefold (and usually soaked right through the center of the prefold, too!) but the covers have always kept it all in. The covers need cleaning afterwards, though.

Maybe try a different type of wrap? Or a soaker?

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#141 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMummytoLore
we are rolling over!!!! it was sooo cute. illyria rolled over yesterday morning for the first time and by that afternoon finn was doing it too-- like he wasn't about to let his "little" sister show him up. i wonder how many other things they'll do at the same time?? ah the competitive nature of twins...
Congrats!! Harry also rolled over. In the bathtub!! I was obviously sitting right there with him and I had just drained the inch of water out that I bathed him in and over he went. I guess it's easier to roll when you're slippery & naked!!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#142 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 08:16 AM

OMG.... I just had 7.5 hours of uninterupted sleep and I feel wonderful!

My ds slept from 9pm to 5:30am, so he went from 8:15pm to 5:30am before eating! I thought I had died and not heard him or something when I realized I was still asleep at 5:25am

I know that the chances of this continuing might be slim, but I am hoping!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#143 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 10:20 AM

OH, Aydensmama, enjoy it! Wahoo for good sleep!

Amara has woken once a night for the past three nights...wow. While that has been good, overall mamas this is soooo friccin HARD. Not so much the newborn thing, and actually she's not newborn any more (whoa, when did that happen?: ) but the two kids thing. Their dad does not live with me so virtually I'm single-mom-in' it. It blows me away.
#144 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

omg, speaking of snappis. I had 4-5 and now they are ALL MISSING. ARGH!
#145 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 11:59 AM

I am soooo jealous of all you once a night people...

DD goes to bed between 7 and 8, and does her long stretch then. She usually gets up around 2 to eat and then she's up every 2 hours after that. Unfortunately I am not ready for bed when she is, though I do try to get to sleep before 10.

The worst though is DD has been really gassy or something the past few nights. So she's actually rousing a bit every 30 minutes to grunt, fart, snore or generally make a disturbance : Fortunately DH isn't waking up as often as I am. I can't figure out what I might be eating that is making her so restless but I'm ready to go to plain chicken and rice for a little uninterrupted sleep!

DD has also been doing all of her major pooping between 3 and 5am. This morning she pooped all the way up her back into her hair. We have her sleeping on a towel because she often spits up or I leak. Thank goodness for the towel - while she soaked through it, at least we didn't hit the mattress. Poop was EVERYWHERE. I barely knew where to begin... I just picked her up in the towel and brought her directly to the tub where I held her under the water to rinse everything off. She managed to pee on me too while I was waiting for the water to get warm... *sigh*
#146 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 12:15 PM

Quag--name is fitting for that episode, eh? Wow, what a poopy mess! Into her HAIR?? wow.
#147 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess
omg, speaking of snappis. I had 4-5 and now they are ALL MISSING. ARGH!
yeah - here, too. actually, i think the cats are stealing them for toys. i just ordered 3 more w/ my additional dozen prefolds.
#148 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 02:33 PM

Ok, so two of my friends have asked today...is he allowed to sleep that long? They say their doctor never let them allow their babies to sleep that long at this age.

background: 5 weeks old, gaining weight (not sure of how much, we don't do doctors appointments regularly at all), and eating 7-8 times a day (lots of milk and long nursing sessions between 20 and 45 minutes a day)

AND he is making up for it today I will tell you! We nursed at 5:30, 7:30, 9:30, 10:40, 11:55, and all of those were 40+ minutes except for the 10:40am! WOW!

So this is ok right????? Should I wake him in the night if he continues to do this?

elsanne- I second the two kids being soooooo hard! I constantly mutter under my breath when trying to accomplish anything besides hanging out in diapers and jammies at the house playing "this is so freaking hard"!!!!

#149 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 03:28 PM

Aydensmama - My DS has been a great sleeper from the beginning ... I regularly get 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep (he's quite the chunk, so he has no problem eating!). If your DS is gaining and nursing well, I'd say enjoy the sleep. If there's a problem with weight gain, you would want to wake up the babe to eat. I've found that most peds don't know squat about BFing, so it's hard to trust them sometimes.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#150 of 236 Old 08-21-2006, 03:31 PM

My LC said if he is gaining fine and has enough wet diapers, not to bother waking him up. Enjoy it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page