July 06 mamas, August thread - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 236 Old 08-27-2006, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My six week old HATES the carseat. It’s awful. He’s usually okay for about 5 minutes, and then from there on out, he just screams bloody murder. It’s so distressing. It’s bad enough that it absolutely breaks my heart, but it’s also the fact that I don’t own a car so we take taxis everywhere and I’m actually worried that one of these days the taxi driver is gonna crash the car from the pressure of listening to this little guy shriek the whole ride.

I’m sure babe would be fine if I took him out of the carseat – heck, in taxis you don’t even have to use one. But safety is really important to me – I even made sure to get an infant seat that you can install with just a seatbelt (super quickly), so we could bring it in the taxis.

It’s gotten so bad that I have been avoiding going *anywhere* unless I absolutely *have* to. I’m hating this!

Does anyone have ANY advice for calming babe in the carseat?

I’ve even tried several different pacifiers (he hates them all equally), I’ve got little toys to distract him, I always make sure to feed him before I put him in the seat, make sure his diaper is clean, etc. I’m so desperate I’m considering bringing along a bottle (w/an ounce of water) to see if that would soothe him (babe is EBF, has never had a bottle)! HELP!!! :

eta: xposted in "Life w/Babe"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 236 Old 08-27-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi
nak

may i say that i am jealous of those whose babies are sleeping longer than 3 hour stretches. happy for you, but jealous.

on the melt-my-heart front though, i am getting serious smiles here! about once a day i get a great big gummy grin of recognition, "hey! i know you! you're the one with the milk!"
:

Definitely happy but envious! Also in smileyland here - babe will smile nonstop whenever dh/myself talk to him - he just eats it up, and pays us back in huge grins! We're LOVIN' IT!
#213 of 236 Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 AM

Holy crap! My babe who weighed 7 lbs at 2 weeks weighs in at a whopping 10.5 at 7 weeks. (actually 11 lbs but subtracted .5 for the cloth dipe she was in). Another one of those failure to thrive breastfed babies...
#214 of 236 Old 08-27-2006, 11:24 AM

kate, i am so impressed!!!!

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#215 of 236 Old 08-27-2006, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

kelli, my heart goes out to you. I'm on my 3rd car-hater, and it just plain sucks. Poor babies. The bright side for you is that you can give your baby some eye contact and even lean over to nurse if you want. When I drive, and baby's in the back, he's essentially alone :-( My big boys really try to help, but mostly, we just don't go out.
#216 of 236 Old 08-27-2006, 04:57 PM
~pi

Kelli, will he suck on a finger? DS doesn't like soothers, but wow, he loves to suck on our fingers! (Nail down, pad of finger on the roof of his mouth.)

We drive with one of us in the backseat so that we can give him a finger to suck on when he gets upset. It really helps to keep the car rides calmer.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#217 of 236 Old 08-27-2006, 07:41 PM

Well, I have a good sleeper - but I envy you guys the smiles. I get one from my 2 week old occasionally, but nothing consistent...or where I'm sure he's actually smiling at ME!

Kate - way to go...I'm impressed that you've figured out the twin thing...in fact, I'm in awe when I even think about trying to breastfeed 2 for the early morning feeding.

Jami - would you quit working and go to school exclusively? It would probably be easier (more flexible) than working - so I don't think that's crazy! (I went back to college when I first became a single mom - and it was great for me and the kids...although I didn't have an infant.)

Jocelyn - Kasen was 9lbs 12oz at birth, 10 lbs 5oz @ one week, and 11lbs 6 oz Friday (2 weeks). Poor little breastfed babies!

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#218 of 236 Old 08-27-2006, 08:08 PM

Kelli- I would reccommend pumping and putting an ounce of EBM rather than water...babies under 6 months aren't supposed to have water because it messes up their electrolytes? or something like that. I'm sorry Jacob hated his carseat at first too but now the motion puts him to sleep. I actually introduced the paci in the car.

MS-nope I would still be working. I'm going to try fulltime/fulltime but if that doesn't work out (or there are scheduling problems) I will be dropping to part time work but I can't stop working alltogether unless I go into debt and I have enough debt already!

Jacob smiles and giggles for grandma but so far all he does is cry for me unless he's nursing (he will smile while nursing) or is in the sling. LoL I use the sling a lot. I get double huge grins while nursing him IN the sling

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#219 of 236 Old 08-27-2006, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

all three of my first babies rejected the pacifier after a few tries, but with this one, I was really hoping he'd take to it. So, for one day I just really persisted. Every once in a while he'd start sucking, and then push it back out. Over the course of the day, he sort of learned it. It feels ridiculous to admit that I pushed the paci on my baby, but I'm really glad he's taking it. I'm hoping it will help with car rides, if we ever start going out.
#220 of 236 Old 08-27-2006, 11:25 PM

yeah- i do a lot of nursing!!!! thank goodness my DD decided to wean during my pregnancy or my butt would be permanently parked on the couch!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#221 of 236 Old 08-28-2006, 10:50 AM

you and the twins sound awesome kate! happy to hear it!

Kelli, sounds like you've tried everything. Music is the one thing that calms my son down in the car but that would be hard in a taxi......

We use a paci on occasion when he just wants to comfort nurse and my nipples are tired. We use the soothie and it works well. I like that it is shaped like a nipple. He latches on to it well.

Lochlan is 6 weeks old and from a few weeks ago he smiles like hundreds of times a day. Big gummy ones little impish grins and everything in between. A few days ago he started cooing. It melts me into a puddle on the floor its so cute! He even says something that resembles HI! we "talk" to each other every morning when he wakes up. Thats when he is the happiest.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#222 of 236 Old 08-28-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
So I learned this neat technique from the instructor who taught my mom and baby yoga yesterday...

When DD starts getting fussy from gas I can tell - she latches on, then yanks her head away (without bothering to unlatch herself btw, OW!) draws her legs up and does a certain cry.

Anyhoo, the technique is sort of an infant massage thing. You lay them down, and start by doing a light stroke with both hands down the whole body, starting with the crown of the head and ending with feet and toes. This lets them know you are going to start the ritual.

Then using your index and middle finger, apply firm pressure and rub in a circle on their belly, starting under the left ribcage, up around under the right ribcage, and then more firmly down just under the diaper line (apprx where the bowels are I think). Then repeat - I do one continuous circle without breaking contact.

I started doing this yesterday - the yoga instructor told me to give it 3 weeks to ease the entire problem (though I'm sure this issue pretty much gets better around 9 weeks anyway ) Anyway, the first time I did it DD was kinda screaming a bit and then we heard this huge gurgle and she passed out shortly after. I did it two more times yesterday - I am finding at bedtime after finishing one boob she starts doing the latch-yank-unlatch thing and it SENDS ME so I worked out some bubbles from her belly and she settled down really well after that.

I'm also noticing that the moment I do the light touch now she calms right down and smiles. It's like she knows help is on the way

So I'm hoping this continues to work and thought I'd share in case anyone wanted to try it!
Oh, thank you so much for this! It's something I'm going to try with Eli immediately. In the past week or so, he's had about half of his feedings while he intermittently screams and farts, until he passes enough gas or poos, whichever comes first--then he's perfectly calm. Poor little guy! I've tried to eliminate as many possible offenders from my diet as I can think of, with no success.
We have our two month check-up tomorrow and can't wait to see how much they've grown! Will post stats then.

Kate/1sttimemummy...what double baby-wearing situation works best for you??? We've had no success here. If I can get them both in slings or a pouch and a sling, one or both is screaming from the confinement or position. The only way I can safely hold them both is to have one in a pouch/sling/Bjorn and then just carry the other. Of course, that takes away from the ability to do anything else--and it's always at the same time that my daughter needs my help! Any ideas or pics would be greatly appreciated!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#223 of 236 Old 08-28-2006, 06:56 PM

cindi-- PM me your email address and I will email you a few pics. So far I have three different ways I can wear them both.

1- one baby cradle hold in a pouch sling across my left shoulder and one baby cradle hold in a ring sling below the first one and across my right shoulder (the first method i ever figured out, but a little heavy on my shoulders)

2- one baby in the ergo front carry with the infant insert and one baby below in the ring sling cradle carry across my right shoulder (seems to best induce sleep in both of them)

3- just discovered today that now that they are 9 weeks old, i can sling them both in the kangaroo hold in crossed pouches, one across each shoulder (great when they are both awake and want to look around-- and just plain super cute!!)

I should totally post pics on my blog of this now that I think about it!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#224 of 236 Old 08-29-2006, 03:58 PM

Woo-Hoo!!! The boys are on the charts! Had our 2-mo appt this morning and Eli is now in the 10th %ile at 9lbs 13oz (up nearly 5 lbs from birth!) and Sam is in the 25th %ile at 10 lbs 3oz (up 4 1/2 lbs from birth!), all on EBM! Yippee!
Am now going to attempt that double-kangaroo carry...wish me luck that I don't dump the boys on the floor... =)

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#225 of 236 Old 08-29-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Is anyone eles's babe really gassy and fussy? DD is, especally in the afternoon & evening. The gas seems to make her really unconfortable and gas drops don't seem to do anything. I'm already dairy & soy free.
I modified my diet for 4 weeks, tried mylicon, tried gripe water, etc. Nothing worked. In our case though, ds has reflux. He spits up a lot and most often re-swallows it. I caved in and gave him Zantac. So far it is working. We had crying ALL DAY though. It was miserable.

Quote:
Anyhoo, the technique is sort of an infant massage thing. You lay them down, and start by doing a light stroke with both hands down the whole body, starting with the crown of the head and ending with feet and toes. This lets them know you are going to start the ritual.
We've been massaging here as well. I use the "I love you" method described by Dr. Sears. I'm not sure it is helping the gas pass, but ds loves it and is happy during it!

Quote:
My dd, at 6 wks, is predictable for her feeds. She usually nurses every 4ish hours. In the past wk, it's been between, 2:30am-4am, 8-9am, 12-1am, 4-5pm, 6ishpm, 8ishpm, 10ishpm.
Ooh I'm jealous. We are still every 1-2 hours here during the day. It is probably related to reflux though. Four hours would mean we could actually leave the house without panicking about finding a place to nurse in private (it is still a production for us).

Quote:
I'm pretty small-breastied, so apologies if this doesn't help, but I always have some kind of towel or prefold around for propping, otherwise I have to hold the breast in place for him to latch on, which is annoying.
Yes, I do try propping as well. Sometimes it seems to help but not always.

Question: I am spotting at 8.5 weeks pp! This can't be the return of AF can it? I'm even cramping! With ds1 I didn't get it back for 9 months!
#226 of 236 Old 08-30-2006, 01:54 AM

Cori-my mw says that spotting can mean you are doing too much too fast. Is that a possibility for you? Sure hope it's not AF, no fair! I loooove not bleeding.

cindi that is so great about your boys. I love that twin smilie you have in your sig, I hadn't seen it before!
#227 of 236 Old 08-30-2006, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva

Question: I am spotting at 8.5 weeks pp! This can't be the return of AF can it? I'm even cramping! With ds1 I didn't get it back for 9 months!
See, now I read that you most women who are breastfeeding have a period around 6-10 weeks, and then won't have another one for a while. But, that your body does one initial one, and then stops having AF. Anyone else? I had a tiny bit at 6 weeks.
#228 of 236 Old 08-30-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathD
See, now I read that you most women who are breastfeeding have a period around 6-10 weeks, and then won't have another one for a while. But, that your body does one initial one, and then stops having AF. Anyone else? I had a tiny bit at 6 weeks.
NNOOOOOO!!!!!! : I thought no more for a while!!!!
#229 of 236 Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 AM

That is news to me! I didn't bleed for ages with dd1...I think she was around 13-14 mos when I finally did.
#230 of 236 Old 08-30-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne
That is news to me! I didn't bleed for ages with dd1...I think she was around 13-14 mos when I finally did.
Yeah my friend didn't get hers back to 18 months I think she said. Mmmmm....no period.....that would be lucious.
#231 of 236 Old 08-30-2006, 12:03 PM

I didn't have af of any kind until 8-9mths for dd2. Never heard of having a type of af then nothing for a while.

dd#3 just fell asleep sucking on her thumb. *sign* She loves to suck the pacifier but she doesn't keep it in long enough for her to completely fall asleep and i'm tired of always putting it back in.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#232 of 236 Old 08-30-2006, 02:00 PM

I started spotting again last week (at 6 weeks) when I had thought I was done. And had been feeling some bad menstrual cramps. I was hoping that my period is not around the corner. I want to have that luxurious year without a period!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#233 of 236 Old 08-30-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Cori-my mw says that spotting can mean you are doing too much too fast. Is that a possibility for you? Sure hope it's not AF, no fair! I loooove not bleeding.
I just saw my mw today for my 6 week visit (2.5 weeks late!) and asked about it. She said that it is very common to have spotting like that but it was not my period and she said it is rare for it to come back before 4-6 months. With my son it was 9 months...I don't think I am doing too much necessarily but who knows!
#234 of 236 Old 08-30-2006, 02:08 PM

Well, my period came back at 3,5 months PP with DS1, and I think it is coming back already this time, because I have been having really bad cramps today and have noticed PM-like changes in last week - sore nipples, lots of sweating and such. I would not be surprised if that was the case since DS2 is sleeping very long streches since birth. I think you need to have your child nursing every 2-3 hours around the clock for the period not to come back, and even that does not always work.

I have a friend with a 2 yo who still does not have her AF back!
#235 of 236 Old 08-30-2006, 02:48 PM

I bled for 12 weeks with DD1, then got a break until she weaned at 21 months. At that point I was only nursing twice a day (had been for many months) and it turned out that dropping the morning session was enough to bring back AF after 2 months.
#236 of 236 Old 09-01-2006, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page