Mothering Forum banner

July 06 mamas, August thread

6K views 235 replies 40 participants last post by  PancakeGoddess 
#1 ·
Do we have one of these yet? Hope I didn't duplicate. Oh, I just had a flashback to the days when I did our DDC weekly thread. I guess I spazzed out on that sometime in the 8th-9th month.... sorry!

Anyone want to have some topic questions again like we did while pregnant? Obviously we should still do general checking in and chit chat, but if someone wants to send me questions, I can try to post them on the first of the month. Should be easier than generating them weekly.

See less See more
#152 ·
I can't believe I missed this thread! I found it last night and read while Lochlan screamed on my lap. Poor baby! Fortunately for about 95% of his crying I usually have a solution (he's either got a burp hiding in there or he is so tired that he refuses to go to sleep)

Anyway, Sue I wanted to mention that I use prefolds snappi's and proraps and have never had an explosion. I roll the edges of my prefold. I find that to be the tightest fit and it always contains the poop. I rarely get a speck on the gusset of the prorap.

I hear Lochlan cooing I better go grab him. He's in his Papasan in the living room and I hear the young and the restless coming on the tv. Terrible thing to subject to a baby!
:

#153 ·
Thanks for the welcome everybody. It's hard to find time to post.

Fenwickmama, yes I do recognize you from the adoption boards.

Yin Yang, no I"m not taking any medications to induce lactation, just herbs. There are times when I question that decision, since I'm not making very much milk and the SNS really is a pain. But I just never felt right about the meds.

Well, my baby seems to be turning a corner. Saturday she slept literally the entire day and night. She's wake (or I'd wake her) every 3-4 hours to eat. I was getting really freaked out because she doesn't take very much supplement, I have absolutely no idea how much breastmilk she's getting, and it takes her forever to eat. She supposedly had weight gain issues at the beginning (slow gaining), and I was just so worried. I kept reading all my books trying to decide if she was FTT (even though she showed no symptoms of it). By Sunday morning I was so freaked out I was ready to take her to insta-care just so they could weigh her and I would know where we stood. My dh convinced me to wait until Monday.

So yesterday I took her to the dr. It wasn't our regular dr because he's on vacation. She weighs 7 lb 4 oz and has gained just over a pound since birth. The new doctor says her weight is fine, and he doesn't think she ever had issues in the first place. So I've been worrying for an entire month for no reason. I could tell that he was wondering why on earth I was even bringing her in.

So her weight's fine--she just happens to be a tiny baby. And yesterday she finally decided to perk up and stop sleeping so much. It's like she's changed overnight. We'll see if it lasts. I can see such a difference in her, as if she's finally made that transition from newborn to baby.

It's amazing to me that I could work myself up into such paranoia when there wasn't anything wrong in the first place. I can't even blame our regular doctor, because I honestly think that I just took things he said, such as "Let's just keep checking her weight regularly to make sure she's gaining well", and ran with them, turning things into a much bigger deal than they were. Does anybody else do this too? What is it about new motherhood that brings out such fear?

#154 ·
Laurel - I personally never experience that kind of fear you are talking about. Perhaps you have it because you did not grow that baby in your body so you did not have a chance to "get to know her" - if that make sense. So you are probably more freaked out about things happening to her then anyone else. Plus she is a small baby, so it probably makes things worse. You'll learn to trust your instinct as she grows

I am impressed with how many babies here are sleeping so well!! Mine including......

Hugs to mamas not having as much luck as we do.

Can anyone fill me in here with something? It's probably stupid question, but I have no idea what KEGELS are? I know it's some kind of a excersize, but don't know what exactly......

#155 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yin Yang
Can anyone fill me in here with something? It's probably stupid question, but I have no idea what KEGELS are? I know it's some kind of a excersize, but don't know what exactly......
It's an exercise of the PC muscle ... the one that starts and stops the flow of urine. It's good for incontinence (esp late in PGcy and after!) and it's also fun while DTD.
If you want more info on it, do a Google search.

#156 ·
Laurel I think any new mom, adoptive or no, freaks out the way you are. This is #2 for me and the difference is HUGE in terms of how much, or rather how little, I am freaking out. With my first, every little thing!

Also your babe WAS just a wee thang and they do sleep all the time when they are so little in size...sleeping is when they do the most growing.

I am still kegeling like crazy, every night as I put the girls to bed. It's my routine and the way I can remember to do it.

Lotus blossom, good to "see" you. Your baby IS one of the "young and the restless"

#157 ·
Quote:
Laurel I think any new mom, adoptive or no, freaks out the way you are.
See, this is actually my second child. I don't remember worrying this much with my first. I know her size has a lot to do with it. There are issues related to her adoption--we found out last week that she was exposed to several drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc probably the entire time she was in the womb, so I have concerns about the ramifications of those things (and slow weight gain, sleepiness, are potential results of prenatal drug exposure).

I know I've heard other moms express anxiety too. I think there's something about having a tiny little baby that makes me, at least, feel a little vulnerable myself.

#159 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood
Okay this is a rather gross TMI post-partum question but is anybody else still bleeding!? I have very very light spotting, not even pad worthy but soooo annoying. DS is 7 weeks old. Am I alone?
Nope not alone. I actually stopped for a week or two and it's back now.

#161 ·
I am 7 weeks now too and was completely done...just these days getting a few little "reminders".

I wonder if it's due to doing too much?

Laurel yes, that makes sense. like Yin Yang said since you weren't in charge of her care pre-partum....! Sounds like she is doing well, so that's great.

#164 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenwickmama
ladies, we had our very first 4 hr sleep stretch in the night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mama feels good today!!! granted it was from 9:30p to 1:30a but if i have to go bed at 9:30 to get rest then so be it!!!

I used to go to bed at 7pm with my DS1 because for the longest time he'd get up at 4am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

9:30 by the way is too early for you?? What time do you usually go to bed?

#169 ·
Aw, thanks. We think they're pretty adorable too.

I worked hard on learning back carries when the toddler was a baby. I
back carries. My favorite site is www.mamatoto.org - the mama who runs it is AWESOME and sweet. She has videos which you must watch - very very helpful.

Practice over a futon on the floor or with a spotter. Use a mirror. Practice every day :) Back carries for a small baby are way easier when they're swaddled.

Here's the carry I use most, but there are others
http://www.mamatoto.org/videos/SwaddleTibetToni6mo.MPG

#170 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess
Aw, thanks. We think they're pretty adorable too.

I worked hard on learning back carries when the toddler was a baby. I
back carries. My favorite site is www.mamatoto.org - the mama who runs it is AWESOME and sweet. She has videos which you must watch - very very helpful.

Practice over a futon on the floor or with a spotter. Use a mirror. Practice every day :) Back carries for a small baby are way easier when they're swaddled.

Here's the carry I use most, but there are others
http://www.mamatoto.org/videos/SwaddleTibetToni6mo.MPG
WOW! That is awsome!! Can you do that with a very small baby that does not hold his head that well yet?
I suppose I can just go and buy what 5 yeards? Of any fabric reall,y and start practising, right?

So my DS is officially addicted to the vibrator bauncy seat!
: He won't sleep anywhere else now!! That can't be good for him, can it? I try to limit it as much as possible, but he will sleep in it few times a day.
And actually his paci as well
I will not give it to him at night, but during the day he basicly wants it all the time.

#172 ·
hahaha, yes, if you have a very lightweight fabric, you can put it right over her head. Mine is light but not *that* light, so I pull it up around the back of his head but not over. I'm not sure how it would work with a stretchy wrap, but it seems like it would be ok. I just have a homemade no-sew wrap that I use for the back carry.

Also, for those of you who like the front carries, my sister carries this awesome wrap, made by a wahm, that is narrower than most wraps, so there is a lot less fabric to deal with. It's also fine for back carries but just on older babies. She uses gorgeous fabrics. here is the link
http://www.wearsthebaby.com/shopping/slings.html (the one I have in mind is the "sweet pea" wrap)

sabbath, kellen loves the swing - sigh. My first three wanted no part of it, but he grooves - long naps in that thing. He's also the first to really take to a paci. No worries! I really don't think there's anything wrong with sleeping in the bouncy seat or swing. You just keep responding to your own baby's cues and you are set. Her needs are more important than AP Rules.

Of course, I try with all my babies to be sure they take at least one longish nap in-arms per day. Otherwise, whatever works for the whole family is what we need to do.

eta, isn't that mama in the videos AMAZING? She is my total idol.

#173 ·
Pavlina, it's not so much that 9:30 is too early, it's just that pretty much from 1:30am til 7 we were up nursing....so it still sorta seemed like a long night since the sleeping stretch was so early, kwim? but hey-better than not at all!

#175 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by elsanne
no...but only because it was poopy....

That nb smell that smells like the inside of our uteruses! It's truly incredible...the placenta smelled like that too, which I loved on my baby but was kind of...mmm...not so yummy on the placenta.

Snarkatron, your baby is really growing like a weed! Woweeee!!! Alright!
After I had DS they put him skin to skin under my hospital gown which I loved, but after about an hour I started to feel sick from the smell. Maybe I have a bad smelling uterus, I don't know, but I was happy when they cleaned him up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.